Get Some Perspective....

I want consistency, success and enjoyment in the prem - that has to be the ambition.

However, I'll take inconsistency and frustration in the prem to inconsistency and frustration in the chump any day of the week and then some.

We're more or less where I expected to be at this point really. Lage has made mistakes granted but I'm not too sure what more he could be doing considering the utter lack of investment in the summer. Yes the performances haven't been great and he's slow to make subs, but he really doesn't have a lot of options to play with, not to mention this team has been playing **** football for a long time now, not just in this short run of games. It feels to me like it is not something that will be abandoned overnight and we are still lacking quality in positions down the spine in order to truly change our style, and I imagine Bruno thinks the same. We're sort of a half way house at the moment - big elements of Nuno ball still engrained, plus the intention of constantly playing out from the back as well. It feels like we don't really know what we are at the moment. In the meantime, while it might not be pretty, I'd take grinding results out in the short term to keep us ticking over until the window opens where hopefully for once Jeff will pull his finger out and bring some players in that we badly lack.

But you're forgetting that Nuno left purely because of the style of play.

Finishing 13th in the Premier League with Wolves should never be something that gets a manager sacked. How could it be? Finishing 13th when you've had to play 28 games without your best player and have been left with a kid to replace him means, purely in terms of results, 13th was pretty excellent season in many ways, only in terms of results.

So, Nuno went because we were so, so, so bad to watch. The board made that decision. Are they entitled? There weren't many fans actively calling for him to go.
Nuno had done some amazing things at Wolves and had a lot of credit in the bank so fans gave him the benefit of the doubt without being too quick to get on his back. I suspect that if fans had been at games throughout last season then there might have been a few niggles. Its one thing to watch a poor game on TV, quite another when you have battled through traffic for hours, spent your hard earned money and stood in the freezing cold weather.

Having witnessed the performances last season I wasnt too bothered about Nuno moving on. It was a bold move by Fosun but maybe a necessary one. I'll always remember Nuno's better days at Wolves and be grateful but I'll also always be puzzled by how and why his playing style went from ultra positive to ultra negative.

Anyway we have Bruno Lage now and mostly we have been OK. Number of goals conceded is amazingly low and amazingly we have not conceded a set piece goal all season. If we ignore the pen from Marcal's ridiculous rugby tackle anyway.

Nuno had done some amazing things at Wolves and had a lot of credit in the bank so fans gave him the benefit of the doubt without being too quick to get on his back. I suspect that if fans had been at games throughout last season then there might have been a few niggles. Its one thing to watch a poor game on TV, quite another when you have battled through traffic for hours, spent your hard earned money and stood in the freezing cold weather.

Having witnessed the performances last season I wasnt too bothered about Nuno moving on. It was a bold move by Fosun but maybe a necessary one. I'll always remember Nuno's better days at Wolves and be grateful but I'll also always be puzzled by how and why his playing style went from ultra positive to ultra negative.

Anyway we have Bruno Lage now and mostly we have been OK. Number of goals conceded is amazingly low and amazingly we have not conceded a set piece goal all season. If we ignore the pen from Marcal's ridiculous rugby tackle anyway.
Even the goals we have conceded have mostly tended to happen in very clear, one-off ways:

Fake penalty against Spurs.
Clear foul on Neves in runup to goal against UTD.
Stupid mistakes by Kilman and Marcel against UTD, which generally do not occur.
Stupid mistakes by Saiss and Hwang against Villa, which do not generally occur.
Fake penalty against Leeds.

Goals conceded against Leicester and Newcastle did have mistakes involved but both required superb
finishes and quick thinking. Difficult to stop.

Of course, there will always be goals conceded, and mistakes made by otherwise reliable defenders. But
the main tasks of keeping those to a minimum and making it hard for the opposition to have very many clear
chances are being met admirably. Tony Adams' dictum: only concede good goals.

Plus a very good goalkeeper and you have the ingredients for a less than a
goal a game season, which lays the basis for a top 6 season.

We’ve conceded 3 penalties and not had none for. 2 of them have been clear penalties, Saturdays was one of them that don’t always get given. We rarely get these penalties for us,I’m thinking of Traore at Arsenal for a start. The penalty Rui saved against Pogba was soft, city have had 2 very soft ones given against us, Leicester well the less said the better on the handball. In the penalty area we do get less than our fair share, the only one I can think of in our favour was Burnley away, and that reminds me of their penalty the season before!! We’ve been on the wrong end of a lot of harsh penalties and before some one claims victim, I’ve listed a few, just off the top of my head, I’ll bet there’s more.

Up to the softest of last minute home bias penalties, Wolves were poised to continue the most remarkable start to a Premier league season.

Four straight wins, the most at top level since 1972, fifty years ago.

Moving up to 4th place overnight, with a home game to come to consolidate that position.

On target for the best 10 game start to any PL season, best out of 8 attempts.

Less than a goal a game conceded.

An injury time soft penalty really should not take the gloss off such a recovery from unluckily losing the first three games 1-0.
There is no justification for many of the comments on match thread or verdict thread, which are absurdly negative.

Yesterday made it clearer where the weaknesses are, but also underlined what an effective team Wolves are. Lets have some balance.
I think I may have got more likes for this post than any other. I appreciate that, but more importantly, that points
to a wider debate that is desperately needed. Put as simply as possible, the very negative, hypercritical views of a minority
here, on very many threads but especially the matchday thread, are just not representative of the wider fanbase of Wolves.

Most fans DO have perspective, and appreciate the very high level of football at which Wolves are now competing. And the fine
margins of success and failure that determine outcomes at that rarefied level. Most fans DO see a well-run club, with a good
atmosphere, intelligent and committed people in key positions. Most fans are just enjoying the ride after so many years of mediocrity.

For me, there are two lessons to be drawn:

1. Wolves' fanbase has the most incredible collective memory: of being the best, of being part of the game's invention and progress into a refined, excellence based sport in the 1950's. A long history of incredible players and performances. And, conversely, of collapse and embarrassment. We have seen it all. And surely that collective memory should allow us to avoid the modern dangers of always wanting success in the short term and of hypercriticism that is amplified through social media, like Molmix. These dangers are tearing clubs apart, as we have seen with Arsenal, to be followed by Spurs and Manutd, and many other examples. In this way, collective memory can serve as a great strength for the club, a powerful unifier. It does serve in this way, I believe, and is why Molineux is capable of generating such a will and atmosphere.

2. The hypercritics who pollute this forum need to take a good look at themselves and the impact of their constant carping. This is not at all to call for a closure of necessary debates or stifle insightful observation. I have been very critical at various times, if I thought it relevant. But this weekend really did show how out of control the hypercritics are. We really were just 1 minute or a proper refereeing decision away from having our best run of results at the top level in fifty years. We really were about to move into 4th place, with a home game coming up. There is something profoundly out of place in such massive overreactions. I would appeal to the hypercritics to look for balance, appreciate the good, avoid continual posting of the same points. This is a great time to be a Wolves fan.

I think I may have got more likes for this post than any other. I appreciate that, but more importantly, that points
to a wider debate that is desperately needed. Put as simply as possible, the very negative, hypercritical views of a minority
here, on very many threads but especially the matchday thread, are just not representative of the wider fanbase of Wolves.

Most fans DO have perspective, and appreciate the very high level of football at which Wolves are now competing. And the fine
margins of success and failure that determine outcomes at that rarefied level. Most fans DO see a well-run club, with a good
atmosphere, intelligent and committed people in key positions. Most fans are just enjoying the ride after so many years of mediocrity.

For me, there are two lessons to be drawn:

1. Wolves' fanbase has the most incredible collective memory: of being the best, of being part of the game's invention and progress into a refined, excellence based sport in the 1950's. A long history of incredible players and performances. And, conversely, of collapse and embarrassment. We have seen it all. And surely that collective memory should allow us to avoid the modern dangers of always wanting success in the short term and of hypercriticism that is amplified through social media, like Molmix. These dangers are tearing clubs apart, as we have seen with Arsenal, to be followed by Spurs and Manutd, and many other examples. In this way, collective memory can serve as a great strength for the club, a powerful unifier. It does serve in this way, I believe, and is why Molineux is capable of generating such a will and atmosphere.

2. The hypercritics who pollute this forum need to take a good look at themselves and the impact of their constant carping. This is not at all to call for a closure of necessary debates or stifle insightful observation. I have been very critical at various times, if I thought it relevant. But this weekend really did show how out of control the hypercritics are. We really were just 1 minute or a proper refereeing decision away from having our best run of results at the top level in fifty years. We really were about to move into 4th place, with a home game coming up. There is something profoundly out of place in such massive overreactions. I would appeal to the hypercritics to look for balance, appreciate the good, avoid continual posting of the same points. This is a great time to be a Wolves fan.
1635236895030.gif

Not conceded from a set piece? Could that have anything to do with the change of keeper?
I’m not having a go at Patricio, I think if he’d been in the team, he wouldn’t have given away the penalty against Spurs and I think he’d have saved the goal we conceded against Man U. I do think that the pros of changing the keeper outweigh the cons at the moment though.

I want consistency, success and enjoyment in the prem - that has to be the ambition.

However, I'll take inconsistency and frustration in the prem to inconsistency and frustration in the chump any day of the week and then some.
Agreed. However it would be sad if, after all of the promises, we ended up like the Boggies were in the previous decade or so: a club the height of whose ambition is a midtable finish and perhaps a cup run....

Agreed. However it would be sad if, after all of the promises, we ended up like the Boggies were in the previous decade or so: a club the height of whose ambition is a midtable finish and perhaps a cup run....
I'd be disappointed too. But that outcome is somewhat more likely than making the breakthrough into the top 6, and
challenging for trophies. Fosun ownership, wider dynamic changes in the sport and the development of advanced technique,
and certain decay features emerging amongst the elite have all opened the door to a club like Wolves making a breakthrough, but
still unlikely given the forces we are up against.

But so what? Its still an enthralling process to be part of.

Back
Top Bottom