Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Get rid of VAR or keep? (Poll)

bilstonwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We were promised that VAR would improve the game, what we've got instead is an ever accelerating decline. Tonight sums it up, two blatant penalties that weren't even checked and a player seriously injured as a result of a law change to accommodate VAR. Decisions are taking multiple minutes to come to just for them to be wrong (think Soucek red card). The authorities have been able to get away with the ineptitude this season because of the lack of fans, there is no significant voice against it which there will be very soon if something doesn't change (in the form of thousands of angry south bankers). Personally, I feel it killing my love for the game and I've seen similar sentiment expressed on here which is why I feel it has to go for football to continue to be an enjoyable experience.

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The rule makers are destroying the game. Besides the ****ing **** decisions it makes, the inconsistencies and the downright cheating there is also a 2-5 minute wait to decide if a goal is being awarded/denied. Terrible addition to the game alongside the truly terrible refs the EPL have to offer make it a resounding **** it off from me.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In my 25+ years of watching football, VAR is the worse thing to ever happen to it.

In principle, it's excellent. It works perfectly in cricket and Tennis, so why not football.

In practicality though, it's bloody useless. The lack of consistency is ludicrous. I absolutely despise it.

AlanJones

Reaction score
It should be teams ask for it to be checked rather than every individual decision checked...

Maybe 25 corrections in a season. Correct decision keep your check, wrong decision lose your check...

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bin it. VAR appears to have been sanctioned to ensure certain clubs get the results the syndicates want.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
In my 25+ years of watching football, VAR is the worse thing to ever happen to it.

In principle, it's excellent. It works perfectly in cricket and Tennis, so why not football.

In practicality though, it's bloody useless. The lack of consistency is ludicrous. I absolutely despise it.
If football was watched by tennis fans, or was as slow and cumbersome a game as rugby it would probably work. It's bad sat at home, a million times worse at the game. It's great for the neutral TV fan that the game is being designed for.

bilstonwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Judging off this poll the football authorities will have a rude awakening come August. I only hope there'll be enough momentum for change, it may even require fans boycotting games

WetheralWolf

Reaction score
They have just got it so wrong. Get rid but it won't go so I just hope in a few years they get it right like rugby and cricket. E.g. Itoje's try wasn't given against the Fench but was after the VAR equivalent.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
VAR - in the way it has been implemented - is too open to corruption.

T

TheConcourse

Dressed up as a way to support referees. Delivered as a way to maintain status quo.

An absolute football killer. I’m very close to binning it off. Totally sick of being the team that gets shafted.

We must be in the bottom three teams to benefit from this over the last two seasons? Some will argue it’s because of our lack of attacking intent, but when you see decisions like tonight it’s hard to believe it’s just that.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just as a final footnote on this -

One of the best things about football, is that no matter how your overall outside life is going at the time, for that 90 minutes you forget about it. You're engrossed in the game and are able to release those emotions or stresses that every one of us has.

What VAR does is take that away. A goal is scored and instead of losing your mind in celebration, you're immediately instinct is now one of trepidation and worry that it will be taken away. Scoring a goal now is just a matter of relief, rather than enjoyment.

I could go on, but this is what I feel needs illustrating more than any other aspect, and this will never be the same whilst any version, improved or otherwise of VAR exists.

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

VAR isn’t the issue it the ****ing ***** behind It that are the problem
The delay after the goal is the killer. It kills football stone dead. The ****ing ***** behind it literally just add insult to injury (and I definitely don’t think there’s any truth in the rumour that a betting cartel has tapped up all at stockley park)

Scott.Cooper

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oops, I appear to be the only one who voted to keep it!

I think it will improve - if we get to hear the audio and get to see the replays as quickly as the comms do then I think that is a game change and opinions will change.

They will have looked at both penalty incidents tonight, but you don't get to hear about it (SKY will have known as they get the audio).

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s corrupt, I don’t think it particularly favours the big 6 (well it does to an extent in that they do get some decisions that others wouldn’t - but not exclusively ).

I think it highlights the ineptitude of the referees. It shows they really do not know what they are doing. They cannot make a consistent decision, which shows just how awful the refs have become.

VAR is not the issue. The implementation of it and the cretins running it is the issue. They are making it up, and laughing at everyone as they do it.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think it will improve - if we get to hear the audio and get to see the replays as quickly as the comms do then I think that is a game change and opinions will change.

They will have looked at both penalty incidents tonight, but you don't get to hear about it (SKY will have known as they get the audio).

I have to ask - In what way will any of that change how fans feel unable to properly celebrate after a goal?

Scott.Cooper

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have to ask - In what way will any of that change how fans feel unable to properly celebrate after a goal?
It won't. I agree that the game has changed forever, but if the off-sides are sorted out and the flags go up and are overturned less, then celebrating a goal like we used to (only for it to be disallowed) will be few and far between.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

What audio could possibly explain or justify that decision

Would love to know

Scott.Cooper

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What audio could possibly explain or justify that decision

Would love to know
Thats my point really. It wasn't a pen without VAR, so the penalty not being awarded hasn't ruined the game. It wasn't given before, it wasn't given now.

The audio is just an additional benefit and makes watching football (more generally and not whilst at the match, clearly) more interesting.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thats my point really. It wasn't a pen without VAR, so the penalty not being awarded hasn't ruined the game. It wasn't given before, it wasn't given now.

The audio is just an additional benefit and makes watching football (more generally and not whilst at the match, clearly) more interesting.
Fully agree it is required . But it won’t change the decisions - just make me more raging at the ****s

T

TheConcourse

Do you think they’ll release audio to fans based on decisions to this point?

Last edited by a moderator:

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It won't. I agree that the game has changed forever, but if the off-sides are sorted out and the flags go up and are overturned less, then celebrating a goal like we used to (only for it to be disallowed) will be few and far between.

I'm not sure it will. The game is too fast for fans watching as we do to ever be completely sure something is going to be pulled back for an offside, regardless of whether they bring a better degree of leniency into it (which I think will ultimately eventually happen and cause more confusion)

Before we knew straight away whether the goal was going to be given or not for an offside so the moment was there to be enjoyed. I'd take the odd decision going against us from a human error on the line officials part over the joy sapping nonsense VAR brings.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fully agree it is required . But it won’t change the decisions - just make me more raging at the ****s

Could you not argue that referees go against their instinct because of the security of VAR? I'm certain Pawson went to blow for the penalty tonight then refrained knowing that if he'd got it massively wrong then it would be overturned. But giving a spot kick against Liverpool in the first minute of a game takes bottle and he took the easy way out.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could you not argue that referees go against their instinct because of the security of VAR? I'm certain Pawson went to blow for the penalty tonight then refrained knowing that if he'd got it massively wrong then it would be overturned. But giving a spot kick against Liverpool in the first minute of a game takes bottle and he took the easy way out.

that was ridiculous . How can you change your mind . How can VAR not overturn it. There’s no excuses ffs

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
i think the idea of VAR is right, but its the people who actually watch it and make the final decision who should be kicked out,
Unless we get back to the conspiracy theory of course, then it works exactly how its set up for,
that penalty decision tonight if given, could have meant Liverpool finishing outside the top six, God forbid we cant have that can we,

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also a clear push on moutinho . Why wasn’t that a pen? About 10 free kicks were given for less of a push than that?

ducking joke

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with the idea of VAR, but the reality is that it's not got rid of all the errors, VAR itself make mistakes and misses things and the offside checks have caused as many issues as they've solved. In it's current form its not working well enough, if they can't sort out all the problems with it then get rid

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Waste of time, it is not even fit for purpose for off sides.

All technology have technical limitations.... except VAR.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just as a final footnote on this -

One of the best things about football, is that no matter how your overall outside life is going at the time, for that 90 minutes you forget about it. You're engrossed in the game and are able to release those emotions or stresses that every one of us has.

What VAR does is take that away. A goal is scored and instead of losing your mind in celebration, you're immediately instinct is now one of trepidation and worry that it will be taken away. Scoring a goal now is just a matter of relief, rather than enjoyment.

I could go on, but this is what I feel needs illustrating more than any other aspect, and this will never be the same whilst any version, improved or otherwise of VAR exists.
Society has become soulless and football has embraced the dead spirit of this age with open arms.

It's like living in 1984.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watching the FA Cup games earlier this season without it was so refreshing. And also sad that you were constantly thinking here comes the screw job...

I’m sure the referee and linesman’s correct decisions percentage were in the very high 90’s before this anyway. Goal line technology solved most of the very major errors and had been a positive move for the game.

Back
Top Bottom