Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Get a ****ing striker - Danny Ings anyone?

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mods delete if you want or merge with Verdict thread - I'm just so fed up wasting another 2 hours of my life watching Wolves, whilst weak pretty much everywhere tonight, we so, so badly need someone capable of putting the ball in the net. Whilst Cunha looks to have skill he doesn't look like an out and out striker to me. Well at least we can now concentrate on the league but unless we find a goal scorer we will certainly be hovering around the relegation places. If Danny Ings is available, or Danny Welbeck or and ****ing Danny for that matter who can play around the penalty spot for 90 minutes then I'll buy into it.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It runs deeper than just signing a goal scorer I feel. Our players either don’t make decent runs or when they do the passer doesn’t see it quick enough or at all. There seems to be a very safe mentality within the squad
Yep. Cunha has already taken on the persona of a Wolves forward by whacking the ball towards the corner flag from 8 yards out.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It runs deeper than just signing a goal scorer I feel. Our players either don’t make decent runs or when they do the passer doesn’t see it quick enough or at all. There seems to be a very safe mentality within the squad
This. Thanks. Midfield too defensive. Too much keep,ball Iin our own half. I would like to see a Midfield three of Boubacar, Lemina and Nunes when all fit. Not every game but sometimes.. No Neves you say..... well...Great player, but are we guilty of playing everything through him. Does he shackle things as much as Moutinho but in a different way. I am not sure, but one thing is sure, we don't score many, and we don't have many runners, we try to bore teams to death by sideways and backwards passing.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Get Haaland in and he'd look crap.

We need support around the striker from the midfield. Hopefully this is why we've got Sarabia in because we're screaming out for that player as much as we are a number 9. This more than anything is why we've missed Diogo Jota so much.

I refuse to believe every CF that we've tried is as bad as they've looked for us. The system is horrendous. Even prime Jimenez was massively reliant on having Jota creating through the middle and playing near him.

Just imagine being up front and having Neves, Moutinho and Hodge 'supporting' you. What a job that is.

I guarantee the sides who score far more regularly than we do all have that type of player around their main striker.

Watch what a midfield of Nunes, Lemina and Boubacar with Sarabia just ahead would do for whoever plays up front. It'd be night and day.

Last edited:

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Knowing our luck if we did sign Danny (glass legs) Ings he would get injured 1st game and be out the rest of season as like Sasa Kalajdzic it appears??

T

TheConcourse

Get Haaland in and he'd look crap.

We need support around the striker from the midfield. Hopefully this is why we've got Sarabia in because we're screaming out for that player as much as we are a number 9. This more than anything is why we've missed Diogo Jota so much.

I refuse to believe every CF that we've tried is as bad as they've looked for us. The system is horrendous. Even prime Jimenez was massively reliant on having Jota around him creating through the middle and playing near him.

Just imagine being up front and having Neves, Moutinho and Hodge 'supporting' you. What a job that is.
This is valid. 100%.

I do feel for Raul when he’s got Traore, Moutinho, Hodge and Neves creating opportunities.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I believe Ings has said he is happy where he is. The problem is not just a number 9 imo, its the whole teams lack of attacking intent with no one threatening the box.
It obviously doesn't have to be Ings but if anything is going to condemn us this season it will be we don't score anywhere near enough goals. I look at Costa, Jiimenez, Cunha, Podence, Hwang, Traore and don't see them getting more than 8/10 goals between them in the rest of the season. Neves may chip in with 1 or 2 but we will continue to struggle up top and if that does continue we will be fighting for 17th right through till May.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hodge and Moutinho no pace or mobility. Neves no pace and starting position is somewhere in the Mander Centre he’s dropped so far back.
We can all ‘oooh’ as he pings an accurate ball to the wing, BUT everyone knows he will so the recipient inevitably gets tackled or turned back!

We’re too slow and too predictable. For all Neves virtues, playing at being Pirlo stood where Coady used to be isnt the answer and is possibly taking us down.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hodge and Moutinho no pace or mobility. Neves no pace and starting position is somewhere in the Mander Centre he’s dropped so far back.
We can all ‘oooh’ as he pings an accurate ball to the wing, BUT everyone knows he will so the recipient inevitably gets tackled or turned back!

We’re too slow and too predictable. For all Neves virtues, playing at being Pirlo stood where Coady used to be isnt the answer and is possibly taking us down.
Neves would be a lot better with different players around him. How long now have Mixers been commenting how slow we play when we have a Neves/Moutinho partnering in midfield.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We're far too static in the front 6, is that a fitness thing, a confidence thing or just players who aren't mobile enough? who knows but no striker is going to change that on their own. New signings should help but it's going to take time to bed them in.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neves would be a lot better with different players around him. How long now have Mixers been commenting how slow we play when we have a Neves/Moutinho partnering in midfield.
2 years? And how long have we been saying we need a striker; since Jimenez's injury. We've splashed out all over the squad and whilst some may say we've spent £40 mil on Cunha you can see he isn't the guy who will get us the goals to keep us safe.

RichB

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
New Keeper
Semedo collins NEW-CB Bueno
Sarabia neves nunes Pod/Ran
Cunha NEW-CF

Defence:
main Rotation Options - Kilman, Toti

Mid
Main Rotation options - mout, Lemina, Gomes (if it happens)

Forward
Main Rotation options (god help us) - Costa, Raul

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its not just the striker, although we clearly need one like Moffi. It is the whole team set up. Playing a central midfield with both Moutinho and Neves in is never going to work. You need Neves with a Lemina and Nunes or Gomes. Our full backs have to do more. Bueno at least puts fairly consistent good crosses in. I am afraid Semedo and RAN crossing is largely poor. We also never attack with enough numbers. Largely down to a midfield that is too slow. Compare that with say Brighton and their midfield is light years away. All mobile.

A total lack of press as well. Just signing a striker wont have a huge effect. It will help of course but until we change the way we approach and attack games it wont matter if we have Kane upfront as we wont give him enough quality service.

We hardly ever attack through the middle and the big reason is the central midfield. No drive in it but passers when one of Neves should be enough with either a Gomes/ Lemina alongside him and a no10 in front or three of Nunes, Neves, Lemina/ Gomes.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Instead of slating the strikers(who aren't brilliant) how about teaching those around them to pick them out, now and again? Not beating their man then crossing 5 yards to high when a simple roll across the six yard box would create panic and a simple tap in.

RichB

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Instead of slating the strikers(who aren't brilliant) how about teaching those around them to pick them out, now and again? Not beating their man then crossing 5 yards to high when a simple roll across the six yard box would create panic and a simple tap in.

Not easy to pick them out when there’s nobody in the box

We only pushed anyone in for the last 15 minutes.

Poor all round though tonight.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not easy to pick them out when there’s nobody in the box

We only pushed anyone in for the last 15 minutes.

Poor all round though tonight.
Not sure off the numbers but with a few minutes left tonight, adama only needed to roll the ball across the six yard box for any off 3 or 4 players to have a tap in.

He skyed it and cleared the ****ing lot, how many corners fail to clear the 1st man and end up with semedo in our half, it's basic football.

Wignall 3-0

Groupie
Reaction score
Shocking performance tonight. Not just the strikers, even if a decent cross came in for first 80 mins, nothing in the box capable of putting a finish on it. One shot on target 90 mins, a weak header from the new "striker". If we do survive this season there will be a mass clear out of players (needs a separate thread), which by the look of it Lopetegui is already planning for by bringing in new players. The trouble is the new players have to get used to the system and the premier league standard. It all takes time which sadly the Wolves do not have.

RichB

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not sure off the numbers but with a few minutes left tonight, adama only needed to roll the ball across the six yard box for any off 3 or 4 players to have a tap in.

He skyed it and cleared the ****ing lot, how many corners fail to clear the 1st man and end up with semedo in our half, it's basic football.

Agree on this. We had people in the box the last 15 mins and Adama ****ed it.

Prior to that though there was nobody in the box. Obviously wouldn’t have made a difference. We could have the entire supporting cast of lord of the bloody rings in there and Adama wouldn’t find one.

When the ball hits your head and your sat in Row Z, that’s Traore

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's why I started this thread?!
I think a lot for some reason thought he was a striker when we signed him, but the form that earnt him his move to Atletico Madrid was playing as a second striker/forward rather than as a striker.

We obviously need a striker and will get one. 12 goals in 19 Premier League games is absolutely shocking.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The lack of a proper striker is so painfully obvious. Cunha may turn out ok as a secondary striker but should we have splashed £40m plus on him when a central striker is what we desperately need? Jimenez is looking better but he needs to dovetail with another striker if we are to start getting a few goals.

Sarabia may offer a bit more guile behind Jiminez but we need a big guy in the Costa mould to hold the ball up and offer a threat in the air but 10 years younger.

Ings would be a panic signing and is far too old and injury prone in any case. On loan possibly but that won't happen. We have spent so much on Cunha, a secondary striker, do we have enough to bring in a proper striker, even assuming we could find one? I think not.

RichB

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Bring Fabio back and play Sarabia, Podence and Cunha just off him.

Sa
Semedo, Collins, Kilman, RAN
Neves, Nunes
Sarabia, Cunha, Podence
Fabio/New Striker

I wondered this myself earlier.

With all the talk of his Anderlecht loan ending and him going to the Netherlands…..

Why don’t we try him ourselves?

Surely they must have something lined up? You wouldn’t send a striker elsewhere when you need one would you!

Well surely not twice in the same season

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They knew since Kaladzic got injured that this should be a priority.

The clock is ticking. It's the single most important signing we will make this month and have the biggest influence on whether we stay up or not, in my opinion.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope lopetegui is having thoughts about bringing him back at least he is a striker who will get in the box and sit between the posts

He also has more threat than Costa

One thing he did as 19 year old boy was get in those spaces and think well

He's quicker he's stronger he's more experienced .if we aren't signing one just bring him back

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Will not be popular for this but your key strength in most sports is sometimes your weakness .

Neves .... Great player but camping on the CD so dropping to look like a back 5 and so deep at times . I never see other CM as deep as he is at times . This is my opinion but that drags us deeper so not enough players forward when we attack . Attackers dropping deeper to get the ball etc .

Just my opinion, and in Barca or Man City side he would be great . But they have players that are world class .

He is bar far our best player and I wouldn't want him to go . But I would be interested to see us play 2/3 games where he wasn't in the 11 to see what happened to that midfield. Not saying we would be where Newcastle are but as a team we might be further up the pitch at times .

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Will not be popular for this but your key strength in most sports is sometimes your weakness .

Neves .... Great player but camping on the CD so dropping to look like a back 5 and so deep at times . I never see other CM as deep as he is at times . This is my opinion but that drags us deeper so not enough players forward when we attack . Attackers dropping deeper to get the ball etc .

Just my opinion, and in Barca or Man City side he would be great . But they have players that are world class .

He is bar far our best player and I wouldn't want him to go . But I would be interested to see us play 2/3 games where he wasn't in the 11 to see what happened to that midfield. Not saying we would be where Newcastle are but as a team we might be further up the pitch at times .

I'd love us to try playing Neves in a more attacking mid / no 10 role. Yes he might not be mobile enough but he's shown he can pass through a defence for fun and it would also give him more chances to shoot at goal in a game too.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I agree. I’d be interested to see how a Lemina, nunes and Gomes (if he signs) midfield works. I think we’d be surprised

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who .. is going to come and who we going to buy..

So

Andre Silva
Evanilson
Gabigol
Shick

Add anyone else you think it could or might be but I'm stumped at other than say an INGs who we are going to get and tempt in would have to be a major big money signing

Back
Top Bottom