Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

George Curtis RIP

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sad to report that George Curtis has died. Best wishes to his loved ones.
Some of us older ones will remember George putting the fear of God into some of our players when we came up against Coventry.
RIP George.

He would put the fear of God into anyone playing Coventry, including God himself. The type of player you always wanted on your side, which I hope is a fair tribute to a decent pro who always left it all out on the pitch.

jeb01

Reaction score
Known to the Coventry fans as “Iron Man”, and with good reason.
If he was injured they’d just weld him together and put him back on.
A genuine hard man.
He and Derek Dougan in direct opposition was always interesting..
Remember the Doog scoring at Highfield Road with an insanely brave low diving header, in amongst the flying boots, ending up in the back of the Coventry net with George Curtis landing on top of him. Ouch.
Never much liked Coventry City, but RIP George, who played his heart out for them.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The best FA Cup Final I have ever seen was when George Curtis and John Sillet guided Coventry to a 3-2 win over Spurs ( the most enjoyable was watching Sunderland beat Dirty Leeds 1-0 in 73 after those louts had beaten us in the Semi !!!! ) I can vividly remember in the build up the totally patronising attitude towards Coventry from the London and National media as it was a case of the FA Cup belongs to Spurs attitude.

I can still recall that great picture of George Curtis and John Sillet holding the FA Cup up in front of the Sky Blue fans.

Last edited:

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A good friend of my dads during the 80's and 90's - and a very popular and well liked man in Coventry even by those that didn't really know his background as a Coventry player and manager because he used to have a very hands-on role in the 'Sky Blue Club' (which was basically a working mans club in the Thackhall Street end of the Highfield Road Stadium) - and I believe he also owned the pub across the road for a while too, on the corner of Thackhall Street and Swan Lane.

The 'Sky Blue Club' was demolished with the stadium, and the pub was also demolished at some point too (can't remember if it was just before or just after the stadium was demolished) - so I'm not sure if George Curtis stayed in Coventry after that.

Floyd Man

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep, I saw him play many times when there was a big rivalry between Wolves and Coventry. He made Ron Harris look a friendly sort. RIP George.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very sad news that Coventry City legend George Curtis has passed away. George played 550 games for the Sky Blues and played a big part in their rise to division one. He was also assistant manager when Coventry beat Tottenham to win the 1987 FA Cup final.

R.I.P George, a real football man.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very sad news that Coventry City legend George Curtis has passed away. George played 550 games for the Sky Blues and played a big part in their rise to division one. He was also assistant manager when Coventry beat Tottenham to win the 1987 FA Cup final.

R.I.P George, a real football man.
think it was sillet who was assistant to curtis

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry, Sir Jack had already posted about George Curtis. Could an admin kindly merge these threads.

Thank you.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sad news.

As many have already said George was a hard man and tough as nails. He played in an era when players dished it out but could take it as well. Unlike today’s moaners, divers and play actors!

RIP George Curtis with my condolences to family and friends.

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
think it was sillet who was assistant to curtis

Frank Lincoln is correct - Sillett was 'officially' the manager for the FA Cup win season - but in reality, they were joint managers. Curtis was manager before Sillett - and Curtis was also manager after Sillett was sacked, but they both played a huge part of that season.

Curtis had loads of roles at Coventry City - both on the footballing side and non-footballing side - so Sillett really just helped ease some of the strain on the footballing side of things by providing an extra pair of hands and football brain on the training ground and match days.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Frank Lincoln is correct - Sillett was 'officially' the manager for the FA Cup win season - but in reality, they were joint managers. Curtis was manager before Sillett - and Curtis was also manager after Sillett was sacked, but they both played a huge part of that season.

Curtis had loads of roles at Coventry City - both on the footballing side and non-footballing side - so Sillett really just helped ease some of the strain on the footballing side of things by providing an extra pair of hands and football brain on the training ground and match days.
yes sillett led their team out at wembley but was only confirmed as manager in the following summer.
mickey adams said that sillet did all the coaching while curtis "supervised"

Back
Top Bottom