Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gazball!

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Just discussing last night’s game with a couple of mates, we’ve all said the same thing. Gary has to stick to his guns and have us playing like that. Bruno Lage had us playing great football but lost 3 out of 3 and panicked. Gary has to be brave. That was fantastic to watch. Up the Gazball!

Reaction score
I think after seeing his interviews he's going to set up depending on opposition so we may not see that week in week out. He saw a weakness in UTD and played against it, which any other day would have paid off, i think against the likes of City and Newcastle we may be more conservative. Interesting to see how he sets us ul against v Brighton.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was great, but yeah will be interesting to see how the approach will be vs Brighton, who's a much different team than United.

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Our attacks were a breath of fresh air last night. Using both flanks and the middle, just caused them mayhem. I loved Cunha's direct running down the middle, freeing up space on the wings. Also loved how Silva positions himself between the posts and doesn't deviate too much. Sounds really obvious, but 99% of the time we never have a player there. Managed to dig out 3-4 shots on goal just doing that (Yes I know the detractors will be crying that he didn't score). Please keep being brave, and keep trying to do that

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brighton will not allow us to run through them like Manure did.
Well they’ve just lost Caicedo so that powerful part of their midfield is going to be affected you would expect. Brighton have some good players, but I wouldn’t be totally surprised to see them struggle for several games at a time.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Must try Cunha and Silva together. Sarabia was ok, worked hard for the cause but offered precious little else imo. If we are going to create overloads and have players arriving in the box, we’ll let them be ones who will actually cause mayhem, and Silva and Cunha look just that way.

JadeWolf

Reaction score
Really enjoyed watching this group of players last night.

Time to make Molineux loud and hostile for GazBall.
Yes think we have to play our part. Our fans were magnificent last night. Partly defiance at everything that’s happened but also reaction to the performance. We have to stick together, Gary, players, fans.

StaffordWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well done Gary O'Neil, that was the most entertained I've been by a football match in ages. We were very unlucky not to get anything tonight.

Use that to build on for Brighton.

Edit: I admit that when O'Neil was appointed I wasn't happy, but if he keeps us playing like that then I'll happily eat humble pie. COME ON GARY!

JadeWolf

Reaction score
Well done Gary O'Neil, that was the most entertained I've been by a football match in ages. We were very unlucky not to get anything tonight.

Use that to build on for Brighton.

Edit: I admit that when O'Neil was appointed I wasn't happy, but if he keeps us playing like that then I'll happily eat humble pie. COME ON GARY!
Don’t worry I think a lot are feeling like that.

JadeWolf

Reaction score
Keep attacking the goals will come naturally striking practice would help though
You’re right the goals will come. Just need calmer heads in front of goal. I think we were playing so well that the players were desperate to score. Fabio snatched at a couple, Neto blasted one at the keeper with both corners open. They probably knock those away in training all the time.

Lisas Husband

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was gonna say I had deja vu, reminiscent of Lage's first few games, just need to keep playing this way and the goals will come
I said this at half time and the only differing factor was that last night we were getting players in and around the box.
If that was De Gea in goal or simply not Onana's debut we score in my opinion.

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I said this at half time and the only differing factor was that last night we were getting players in and around the box.
If that was De Gea in goal or simply not Onana's debut we score in my opinion.
The pressure generated, caused Obama to panic, hence the ridiculous penalty decision.

Obviously Obana

Last edited:

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Must try Cunha and Silva together. Sarabia was ok, worked hard for the cause but offered precious little else imo. If we are going to create overloads and have players arriving in the box, we’ll let them be ones who will actually cause mayhem, and Silva and Cunha look just that way.
I disagree. Sarabia was superb. Pressing, balls in the box. Underrated.

StourWolves

Groupie
Reaction score
Loved the way we set up last night, initially disappointed not to see Fabio involved from the start but Cunha's role was almost like a false 9, dropping deep to create a 4 man narrow midfield and dominated uniteds. Promising signs from O'Neil, think he will adapt our playing style depending on opposition and player availability.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The best we have played in 3 years probably. And the difference between “Gazball” and “Lageball” was that we harried ManUre and tried to win the ball back high up the pitch, as well as running directly at defenders who just did not know how to cope.
We were not defending space, we were attacking players and the ball to create space.
I know we did everything but score, but we had 23 shots on goal - when was the last time that happened? We were positive and tried to make things happen rather than just react. We looked like the home team.
We were unlucky with the ref/ VAR (not going there) and unlucky that their GK was also on good form. We just have to keep playing that way and putting defenders and GKs under pressure and goals will come, I am convinced of it!

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have no clue how astute he his tactically, but as long as this group of players have fight in their belly we will be competitive in any game. The quality is there.

I was wondering whether we've missed a trick?
In amongst all the moaning about the manager and Fosun's antics.......what did the players think when the manager was basically saying to them "you lot ain't good enough for me" ? They seemed angry enough last night....Cunha can run more than once a game, Gomes was brilliant...two of his buys.

If they can keep up that resolve it could be the making of the team.

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just didn't see that. He didn't press aggressively and were way more effective after he was substituted.

I want it to work for Serabia, but I am not seeing anything.
We had an obvious shape with and without the ball, in a game away from home, it was vital that we kept control all over the pitch, I agree that Sarabia isn’t a conventional centre forward in the way that Silva could be, but last nights game was a platform for the next few games. As a team performance it was almost spot on.
We need a squad of 20-25 confident players, just a great 11 will end in disappointment.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really enjoyed the performance last night. For too long it’s been painful to watch Wolves, so hopefully this style of football is here to stay and starts producing results.

I feel the performance will do wonders for the atmosphere on Saturday, which could have been a bit tense/toxic had we had a stinker last night. It’s really important we get a result though, imo. Sets us up for the season ahead then.

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Rapidly warming to GON
Not my choice, probably not in my top 10 choices
But an honest bloke, giving 100% and getting the same from the players.
A guy who wants to be at Wolves, and who could be our manager for a while
Not with another agenda, not giving sneaky interviews to his Spanish mate, not needing a backroom staff of 600
Great start, Gaz

Wolf616

Groupie
Reaction score
I enjoyed the game and we played really well, with lots of already mentioned positives.

Against an actual competent team, like Brighton next week for example, I think we could have been destroyed playing like that. Let's hope Gaz actually has some different plans up his sleeve, because man united basically had no midfield and other teams will

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For all the joy that Nuno brought as a whole I rarely truly enjoyed a game in the Premier League as his whole ethos was to invite pressure and get them on the counter. It meant most of the time it was the opposition with the ball trying to break down our low block

Last night I can say I truly enjoyed minutes 1 through 90. It was everything I want from my team (aside from a sodding goal)

Cousins78

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I disagree. Sarabia was superb. Pressing, balls in the box. Underrated.
Very good first half but if I am being a little harsh I feel he needed to be subbed 10 mins before he was as he gave the ball away a few times in the 2nd half.

Back
Top Bottom