Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O’Neil

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ealry days but i think his preferred tactics are a 4-2-3-1. I think he will change that against different sides depending, though IMHO he was at fault for not changing this against luton. I note a new ruthlessness when we have the ball in good situations, we aren't hesitating as much. Driving towards goal instead of having the first thought being keeping posession. After the palace game he mentioned a frustration with us getting the ball with good numbers and turning the opportunity to attack.

I don't get how people can have complaints over style when we have been a tough watch for the last 3 years. I think we've scored some nice goals so far too.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Joint 10th for goals scored (yes you have read correctly 10th) and 4 points from the drop zone.

I'm sure many of the GON out brigade would've snapped your hands off for that at the start of the season.
It’s no good coming here with your fancy positive stats. He’s a chancer PE teacher who’s just got lucky!

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For the time being anyways,the guy is here.
We will not sack him after just a couple of months,regardless the result against City.
Now,after that match the results and points on board is satisfactory.
It did look ugly against Ipswich though..so the result against City couldn´t have come in a better time for him.
GON did keep Bournemouth up last season with a weaker and thinner squad than what he has at his disposal with us.
He must be given a fair chance,and he will get it I´m sure.

Let´s get behind him and the team.
Calling for a sacking just 6 matches into the season just isn´t good IMO.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Joint 10th for goals scored (yes you have read correctly 10th) and 4 points from the drop zone. I'm sure many of the GON out brigade would've snapped your hands off for that at the start of the season.
Again, let's not get carried away after one positive result, eh. We've scored 1.14 GPG - not too shabby given recent seasons, but we've been a bit of a shambles at the back, conceding nearly twice a game and having the worst GA outside of the bottom three. Naturally, 4 points clear of the drop after how bad it was looking under GON at one stage is a big boost, with a lot of results thankfully going our way this weekend (though Luton and Burnley have to place each other). I would have snapped your hand off for this return immediately after his appointment, but I'd be disappointed if Lopetegui was in this position with the same group.

Last edited:

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh I agree. Got no issue with people being deflated, I felt the same when the season started. Player recruitment has been dismal for years, (lack of a centre forward in particular will continue to hold us back) and the price rises are a joke.

Iv also got no issue with people being sceptical about the manager. It’s the over top nonsense, and in some cases odd abuse that hacks me off (one poster repeatedly critised his “over gelled hair” the other week).

You’re right though, the stuff on here makes no difference to what happens on the pitch.
Another poster said that Gary has a “very punchable face”.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd also suggest that it's not a wise idea to conflate people's general criticism on an anonymous message board, with how they would express their support, in the ground

Very true. Whilst I'm fairly vociferous in my views on Molineux Mix, and I may even threaten to give Fosun/GON/etc abuse, the last time I genuinely got on a player's back at a game was Steve Corica, and I ended up regretting how much grief I gave him afterwards for a long time. I would say that is far more reflective of people who post on here in all honesty - if we are spending that much time debating our club online then it's fairly obvious we want the best for our club and most of us are sensible enough to translate that into support during the game regardless of our views of the players/manager/owners.

By the same token, this idea that everyone on Molineux Mix is extreme and the fans in the stadium are all behind him just isn't true either. I've only been twice this season but at both games I heard moaning towards O'Neil and lost count of how many times I heard the words 'PE teacher'. And not from me, either!

Last edited:

Rowzed

Reaction score
not sure if it’s good luck, good timing, or good coaching, but GON appears to have managed to gel the team and has a knack of getting the best out of a few players; Pedro, Hwang, Jõao, Nelson, Toti, and Rayan (and perhaps even Cunha) all appear to be flourishing recently. More positive and more confident in themselves. I expect he is an encouraging rather than an overly critical type. Certainly the less confident players appear improved on last year’s showings.

Time will tell if he can improve the output from others but I like the direction of travel. If we are going ‘young and hungry’ this is the style of manager required.

welshy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Again, let's not get carried away after one positive result, eh. We've scored 1.14 GPG - not too shabby given recent seasons, but we've been a bit of a shambles at the back, conceding nearly twice a game and having the worst GA outside of the bottom three. Naturally, 4 points clear of the drop after how bad it was looking under GON at one stage is a big boost, with a lot of results thankfully going our way this weekend (though Luton and Burnley have to place each other). I would have snapped your hand off for this return immediately after his appointment, but I'd be disappointed if Lopetegui was in this position with the same group.
You'll find Brighton has conceded more sitting in 6th... all about the points

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very true. Whilst I'm fairly vociferous in my views on Molineux Mix, and I may even threaten to give Fosun/GON/etc abuse, the last time I genuinely got on a player's back at a game was Steve Corica, and I ended up regretting how much grief I gave him afterwards for a long time. I would say that is far more reflective of people who post on here in all honesty - if we are spending that much time debating our club online then it's fairly obvious we want the best for our club and most of us are sensible enough to translate that into support during the game regardless of our views of the players/manager/owners.

By the same token, this idea that everyone on Molineux Mix is extreme and the fans in the stadium are all behind him just isn't true either. I've only been twice this season but at both games I heard moaning towards O'Neil and lost count of how many times I heard the words 'PE teacher'. And not from me, either!
So you clearly sat next to someone off here. Bad luck.

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
not sure if it’s good luck, good timing, or good coaching, but GON appears to have managed to gel the team and has a knack of getting the best out of a few players; Pedro, Hwang, Jõao, Nelson, Toti, and Rayan (and perhaps even Cunha) all appear to be flourishing recently. More positive and more confident in themselves. I expect he is an encouraging rather than an overly critical type. Certainly the less confident players appear improved on last year’s showings.

Time will tell if he can improve the output from others but I like the direction of travel. If we are going ‘young and hungry’ this is the style of manager required.
Sorry which literary masterpiece are you quoting here

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ealry days but i think his preferred tactics are a 4-2-3-1. I think he will change that against different sides depending, though IMHO he was at fault for not changing this against luton. I note a new ruthlessness when we have the ball in good situations, we aren't hesitating as much. Driving towards goal instead of having the first thought being keeping posession. After the palace game he mentioned a frustration with us getting the ball with good numbers and turning the opportunity to attack.

I don't get how people can have complaints over style when we have been a tough watch for the last 3 years. I think we've scored some nice goals so far too.
He can utilise this City formula v the better teams. He just needs a coherent strategy against the lesser teams.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He can utilise this City formula v the better teams. He just needs a coherent strategy against the lesser teams.
Nuno utilised the same strategy against every team. Seemed to work well enough!

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno utilised the same strategy against every team. Seemed to work well enough!
I’m not sure he did we were much more on the front foot v certain teams and hit the City teams on the counter. I remember our first game v Villa we only won 1-0 but absolutely mauled them chance after chance

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t generally watch manager interviews, but watched a couple from GON this morning and have to say I was very impressed. Feels like he knows what a good group of players he has and what he needs to do, obviously Saturday massively helped, but I feel a lot more confident now somehow

Some players like RAN seem to be responding positively to him.

I’ll admit to having some doubts, although I was never in the GON out camp, just hope he’s given some patience now.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You'll find Brighton has conceded more sitting in 6th... all about the points
Ah yes, quite right. Didn't think to look above 7th because I assumed they all would have conceded fewer than 13!
That Villa result really was extraordinary, I fear for whomever's got them next... :oops:

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Woody Dewar joins from Watford as First Team Coach Analyst, formerly part of Manchester City and Spurs backroom teams

My takeaway fluent in french, will help ran, traore and bellegarde

StaffordWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Woody Dewar joins from Watford as First Team Coach Analyst, formerly part of Manchester City and Spurs backroom teams

Excellent to see the backroom team growing.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m not sure he did we were much more on the front foot v certain teams and hit the City teams on the counter. I remember our first game v Villa we only won 1-0 but absolutely mauled them chance after chance
You are correct, perhaps I misinterpreted what you were saying. I just meant that Nuno was able to make a back-five work in every game, with slight adaptations depending on the opponent. I think going back to a four would be a mistake, this squad is far better suited to a back-five.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If that's the worst you have done, don't worry about it. Corica was one of the most frustrating players Wolves have ever had and what was more perplexing is that he got picked week after week without doing a great deal (decent goal at Bolton though). I can see why he would elicit such a reaction (I just got more inured to the apathy of football under McGoo and McGoo Jr)

The kind of thing that really grinds my gears is when 'fans' booed Bully. That was inexcusable and I still can't see how or why anyone could reasonably justify doing that. I guess it was frustration, but the guy stuck with us through thin and thinner and could (perhaps should?) have moved to a bigger club, but wanted to realise his dream of playing in the top level with Wolves, even when his body was giving up.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Joint 10th for goals scored (yes you have read correctly 10th) and 4 points from the drop zone.

I'm sure many of the GON out brigade would've snapped your hands off for that at the start of the season.

Under O'Neil I am far more confident in our ability to score and come from behind in games than I have in a long time.

I'm not happy with the lack of style and principles.

He's brought another analyst in today in Woody Dewar, on top of Tim Jenkins who I believe was an analyst too? That tells me O'Neil is big on reading the opponent and adapting to them.

Sounds good but I think all the best teams have an identity and I'm still struggling to see what ours is, so far O'Neill is a C grade overall for me.

We have some easier games coming up and the potential to improve confidence.

loppers86

Reaction score
Bloody hell he's only been in the job a few weeks. Give him a chance...
yes but i the post i replied to was praising GONad for building a team that looked like it could come from behind. i just point out we have never ever done it even once.

We have however equalised once this season, against Palace from memory.

Equalised once,
Come from behind never.

Let’s hope Villa don’t get the first goal eh?

Topcat

Groupie
Reaction score
I think the true test will come against Villa, the difference now is that the team and coaching staff as a whole should be full of confidence after that terrific result against City.

If we win or draw then perhaps the tide has turned, lose and we’re pretty much back to square one, it’s as simple as that!

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
I think the true test will come against Villa, the difference now is that the team and coaching staff as a whole should be full of confidence after that terrific result against City.

If we win or draw then perhaps the tide has turned, lose and we’re pretty much back to square one, it’s as simple as that!
Villa will be full of confidence as well. It’ll be a very tough game against a good side
We’re not going to win every game because we beat Man City

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
yes but i the post i replied to was praising GONad for building a team that looked like it could come from behind. i just point out we have never ever done it even once.

We have however equalised once this season, against Palace from memory.

Equalised once,
Come from behind never.

Let’s hope Villa don’t get the first goal eh?

So we came from behind to draw once? So we have done it one in 5 games.

Maybe my phrasing is off.

He's had 7 games so far it's a very small sample size, we look more of a threat going forward, although leakier in defence, we will see how it pans out.

Lopetegui got lucky with a lot of 1-0 wins João Gomes wonder goals when we had been battered etc.

Maybe just maybe Gary won't be half bad.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Joao Gomes has only scored 1 goal, in a 2-1 win, where we'd smacked Southampton despite being down to 10 men.
It was a nice goal though, and if my memory is correct, it was his first game.
Dawson also scored on his debut game, which goes to show the value of those January signings.

Back
Top Bottom