Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O’Neil

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d actually totally disagree it needs to be a fresh start. The fresh start happened in August.

People just needed to wind there necks in, realise the limitations of the squad and accept there would be some difficult times, while giving the guy a chance.

Some really good football in patches against Man U, Brighton, Liverpool and a great all round performance against City.

All our home games so far have been against sides currently in the top 6.

4th favourites for relegation in August, yet some folk act like we should be ****ing the league.

the players and the vast majority of fans in the ground seem to be right behind GON, shame some on here aren’t but there you go.
Admire your loyalty mate, same you showed to Lage and Moxey during your previous life.;);)

Rowzed

Reaction score
Anyone actually listen to the GO appearance on talksport?
Sorry, missed it, but If he was on Talksport I expect the first five questions will have been about Tottenham v Liverpool.

though adding credibility to some of what GON has been doing is a tweet from an analyst who regularly looks at games in PL and across Europe @pstionalplay

“Watching Wolves-City again and I am incredibly impressed with Wolves' out-of-possession plan with man-oriented zonal defending at low block. Unlike typical low blocks, they were extremely aggressive and active, especially at inner corridors, and didn't allow City to create space between the lines and pockets. Gary O'Neil deserves all appreciation

It was interesting that a similar man-oriented zonal approach was used by Emery's Villa as well when they settled at mid-block against Brighton. They were also aggressive at mid-block and Brighton struggled in transitions from their 4-2-4 deep build-up structure to 2-3-5. Their mid-block press was also key in their attacking transitions.

Almost man-marking at mid and low blocks could be an interesting tactical trend this season, especially against teams using positional play heavily in their game plan. When the space is smaller, it is harder to use qualitative and positional advantages; therefore, man-marking can become much more effective.”

this is followed by a discussion from other analysts on what evolved thinking it is etc

Rhyl Wolf

Reaction score
Sorry, missed it, but If he was on Talksport I expect the first five questions will have been about Tottenham v Liverpool.

though adding credibility to some of what GON has been doing is a tweet from an analyst who regularly looks at games in PL and across Europe @pstionalplay

“Watching Wolves-City again and I am incredibly impressed with Wolves' out-of-possession plan with man-oriented zonal defending at low block. Unlike typical low blocks, they were extremely aggressive and active, especially at inner corridors, and didn't allow City to create space between the lines and pockets. Gary O'Neil deserves all appreciation

It was interesting that a similar man-oriented zonal approach was used by Emery's Villa as well when they settled at mid-block against Brighton. They were also aggressive at mid-block and Brighton struggled in transitions from their 4-2-4 deep build-up structure to 2-3-5. Their mid-block press was also key in their attacking transitions.

Almost man-marking at mid and low blocks could be an interesting tactical trend this season, especially against teams using positional play heavily in their game plan. When the space is smaller, it is harder to use qualitative and positional advantages; therefore, man-marking can become much more effective.”

this is followed by a discussion from other analysts on what evolved thinking it is etc
What exactly is a mid-block? Appreciate it's somewhere between a low (typical or otherwise) & high block. Jeez. Playing Subbuteo as a kid was never this complex. Anyways GON. Carry on mid-blocking. as It still feels awesome to beat Citeh.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What exactly is a mid-block? Appreciate it's somewhere between a low (typical or otherwise) & high block. Jeez. Playing Subbuteo as a kid was never this complex. Anyways GON. Carry on mid-blocking. as It still feels awesome to beat Citeh.
I have read reports on advanced air defence systems that aren't that technical. Interesting nonetheless.

Rowzed

Reaction score

It was a reason for Nuno‘s success, the ability to get players to buy into his approach and the time to drill it in. He had 6 weeks preseason and a start in the Championship. Lopetegui had 6 weeks during the World Cup

Gary has just only now had 6 weeks, but less training time than Nuno and has had to implement ideas in the EPL with a squad assembled by others. He’s doing ok.

Last edited:

loppers86

Reaction score
Good quote from Kilman in the guardian

. “People can’t see behind the scenes and the amount of work him [O’Neil] and his team are doing and how they’re setting us up tactically,” said the Wolves captain Max Kilman. “The quality of training has been phenomenal and it was a matter of time before we started picking up the results.”
we have, so far, picked up result, singular.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A tackle slightly north of the knackerbag

loppers86

Reaction score
I’d actually totally disagree it needs to be a fresh start. The fresh start happened in August.

People just needed to wind there necks in, realise the limitations of the squad and accept there would be some difficult times, while giving the guy a chance.

Some really good football in patches against Man U, Brighton, Liverpool and a great all round performance against City.

4th favourites for relegation in August, yet some folk act like we should be ****ing the league.

the players and the vast majority of fans in the ground seem to be right behind GON, shame some on here aren’t but there you go.
on here, 90% actually.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were robbed of another 4 points by VAR, so we should be on 11 points and in the top half of the table!
I think that is 3 points actually, Waggy.

We already got a point from Luton, so that would have been an extra 2 if we beat them + a point from Old Trafford.

I used my calculator for the answer!

King Henry VIII

Groupie
Reaction score

And you're welcome to disagree. It doesn't change the fact that there are a fair few people who weren't convinced by the appointment of a manager with barely any track record. We did that recently, appointing a bloke with 76 games to his name. How did that work out?

I'd also suggest that it's not a wise idea to conflate people's general criticism on an anonymous message board, with how they would express their support, in the ground, or even watching or listening to games. I may voice concerns on here but I give nothing but 100% when it counts.

You are also right that we were 4th favourites for relegation with some bookies. That's just a few short years after playing in Europe for the first time in many supporters' lifetime. We've watched continual poor decisions erode our position, and diminish any hope of finally doing something noteworthy, alongside seeing our most talismanic players sold, or leave. All while the club ramp up prices year after year.

Given the above, I think it's not unreasonable for some people to be a little jaded and cynical. And I don't see how a few questioning comments on a forum actually affect anything at the club or a matchday. I imagine most just want to see the club thrive, same as anyone (except loppers, who seems genuinely demented).

Last edited:

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And you're welcome to disagree. It doesn't change the fact that there are a fair few people who weren't convinced by the appointment of a manager with barely any track record. We did that recently, appointing a bloke with 76 games to his name. How did that work out?

I'd also suggest that it's not a wise idea to conflate people's general criticism on an anonymous message board, with how they would express their support, in the ground, or even watching or listening to games. I may voice concerns on here but I give nothing but 100% when it counts.

You are also right that we were 4th favourites for relegation with some bookies. That's just a few short years after playing in Europe for the first time in many supporters' lifetime. We've watched continual poor decisions erode our position, and diminish any hope of finally doing something noteworthy, alongside seeing our most talismanic players sold, or leave. All while the club ramp up prices year after year.

Given the above, I think it's not unreasonable for some people to be a little jaded and cynical. And I don't see how a few questioning comments on a forum actually affect anything at the club or a matchday. I imagine most just want to see the club thrive, same as active (except loppers, who seems genuinely demented).
Oh I agree. Got no issue with people being deflated, I felt the same when the season started. Player recruitment has been dismal for years, (lack of a centre forward in particular will continue to hold us back) and the price rises are a joke.

Iv also got no issue with people being sceptical about the manager. It’s the over top nonsense, and in some cases odd abuse that hacks me off (one poster repeatedly critised his “over gelled hair” the other week).

You’re right though, the stuff on here makes no difference to what happens on the pitch.

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
IMO we're playing better football under GON than under JL and Lage. I also like the fact that GON seems to know his best 11 and doesn't tinker with it.

Points tally not great - but nothing tells me that GON's a step down.

People go on about his lack of experience, but the experience that he does have is keeping a Premier League team from being relegated. Not a bad starting point for us.

I actually think that we'll do a lot better than that - not least because Lemina and Gomes have proved to be very astute signings. Boubacar is now showing some promising signs, and we've added Bellegarde and Doyle.

Bar an injury crisis, we should be fine.

fleck1

Reaction score
I think Pep recognised he'd made a mistake in starting Nunes by hooking him at H/T, but it was too late. Molineux had been made into a cauldron.
His biggest mistake Saturday starting Nunes, the crowd were up from the off and the whole thing snowballed once we got on top. Been a long time since Molineux was that loud and hostile and just what the players and GON needed, I think dragging him at half time was to try and reel in the crowd but it was far too late by then and if anything made it worse as it was the ultimate humiliation for Nunes.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Saturdays result doesn’t make him the messiah in the same way losing in the cup to Ipswich didn’t make him a PE teacher. There seems to be a grey area where GON should actually sit between.

So far we’ve played well in spells, poorly in spells. I think that is a) him finding his feet b) some gaps in his coaching pedigree and c) most importantly the players, many of which are young won’t always be “at it”.

I’m hoping the season continues on a “two steps forward, one back” as slow progress is better than no progress. Both players and coaching staff deserve time to show their collective ability.

Sunday will be a good barometer. Villa have more quality than us and a better manager but their away form isn’t anything to be scared of. If we can get a result again it’ll give all concerned additional confidence.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suggested a couple of weeks ago that he should also get credit for getting the best out of Neto and Hwang.

It was shot down, but Hobbs seems to confirm it in his latest interview:

"They can see what we're trying to do. I'm always honest with the players and my door is always open. Pedro (Neto) came to see me the other day and he's unbelievably happy with what Gary's doing and how he's letting him play"

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd have liked Hobbs to have been asked why he wanted a British manager after Lopetegui. I suspect it's because he feels he'll be more able to work with someone from a British culture, and that British coaching has come on a lot in the last ten years. I'm the last person to jump on the "if my name was Sam Allardicio" bandwagon, but I think it's true that a British manager with De Zerbi's CV would have been looked on with much more scepticism (I think this is more to do with how the finances of the Prem vs. Serie A than any Euro-bias, though).

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
IMO we're playing better football under GON than under JL and Lage. I also like the fact that GON seems to know his best 11 and doesn't tinker with it.

Points tally not great - but nothing tells me that GON's a step down.

People go on about his lack of experience, but the experience that he does have is keeping a Premier League team from being relegated. Not a bad starting point for us.

I actually think that we'll do a lot better than that - not least because Lemina and Gomes have proved to be very astute signings. Boubacar is now showing some promising signs, and we've added Bellegarde and Doyle.

Bar an injury crisis, we should be fine.
Did you not watch pre-season?

Also you cannot compare the situations, JL took over a team devoid of confidence and 4points adrift at the bottom of the league.

He was tasked to save them from relegation and all that mattered was the result. And the results were great! We beat Liverpool 3:0….. beat Chelsea and stayed up with weeks to spare.

But pre-season we were far more attacking and battered a Rennes team who slapped West Ham and forest that week!

Man Utd was the last JL influenced team, to say otherwise is just disingenuous as in 24 hours GO couldn’t have changed/influenced the tactics! As they were rehearsed against Rennes and it is well reported the press and how it worked came from a JL coach!

JL is a far superior in game manager than GO.

Well done for the weekend Gary, but he has still been very very poor post half time in nearly every game bar city.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suggested a couple of weeks ago that he should also get credit for getting the best out of Neto and Hwang.

It was shot down, but Hobbs seems to confirm it in his latest interview:

"They can see what we're trying to do. I'm always honest with the players and my door is always open. Pedro (Neto) came to see me the other day and he's unbelievably happy with what Gary's doing and how he's letting him play"

Thats actually a very fair point.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was a reason for Nuno‘s success, the ability to get players to buy into his approach and the time to drill it in. He had 6 weeks preseason and a start in the Championship. Lopetegui had 6 weeks during the World Cup

Gary has just only now had 6 weeks, but less training time than Nuno and has had to implement ideas in the EPL with a squad assembled by others. He’s doing ok.

It's still engrained in a lot of our players to play that low/mid block, counter-attacking way, setting up with a back 3/5. I still don't think our players in the main have the right attributes to be a ball-dominating, high possession side.

Neto has always excelled in the counter-attacking setup, given his pace on the transition.

From a fullback/wing-back perspective, arguably all of ours are better as wing-backs in a back 3/5, Doherty and Jonny especially from those who didn't start on Saturday. Kilman has always excelled more as an outside centre back in a back 3/5.

Then I'd argue that having not played under Nuno, a lot of our other players are also more suited to this type of football too.

From a central defensive perspective, Dawson and Toti looked far more comfortable in a back 3/5. Dawson particularly was as good as Coady ever was in the middle of a 3 on Saturday.

Of our central midfielders, I think Lemina and Gomes have the ability to play with a back 4 or a back 5 behind them. But I'd argue that Traore, Hodge and Doyle, if playing as part of a 2 man central midfield, need the insurance of an extra centre back behind them.

Hwang, Cunha and Bellegarde have all the attributes in terms of work-rate, ball-carrying and explosiveness to be perfect for this sort of setup. Cunha played for Atheltico Madrid, who played in a very similar way too.

Arguably the only players we have who maybe aren't suited to counter-attacking football are Sasa, Sarabia and maybe Fabio, although I think of the 3 Fabio is the one that could play in either setup.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd have liked Hobbs to have been asked why he wanted a British manager after Lopetegui. I suspect it's because he feels he'll be more able to work with someone from a British culture, and that British coaching has come on a lot in the last ten years. I'm the last person to jump on the "if my name was Sam Allardicio" bandwagon, but I think it's true that a British manager with De Zerbi's CV would have been looked on with much more scepticism (I think this is more to do with how the finances of the Prem vs. Serie A than any Euro-bias, though).
Wasnt it something that came from above? (Shi, not God...) :D ...
I seem to remember reading that Shi wanted a more British focused approach, as he thought it would help strenghten the identity...
In a globalized world thats obviously a nonsense approach, but so be it..

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did you not watch pre-season?

Also you cannot compare the situations, JL took over a team devoid of confidence and 4points adrift at the bottom of the league.

He was tasked to save them from relegation and all that mattered was the result. And the results were great! We beat Liverpool 3:0….. beat Chelsea and stayed up with weeks to spare.

But pre-season we were far more attacking and battered a Rennes team who slapped West Ham and forest that week!

Man Utd was the last JL influenced team, to say otherwise is just disingenuous as in 24 hours GO couldn’t have changed/influenced the tactics! As they were rehearsed against Rennes and it is well reported the press and how it worked came from a JL coach!

JL is a far superior in game manager than GO.

Well done for the weekend Gary, but he has still been very very poor post half time in nearly every game bar city.
I think the Rennes game was the exception of our pre season rather than anything like the average. Overall pre season was a tad poor.

Yes he took us over in a bad position, but signing 6 new players and having the World Cup break was very very helpful for any new manager coming in.

He did a good job, but I don’t believe it was in any kind of miracle worker territory.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the Rennes game was the exception of our pre season rather than anything like the average. Overall pre season was a tad poor.

Yes he took us over in a bad position, but signing 6 new players and having the World Cup break was very very helpful for any new manager coming in.

He did a good job, but I don’t believe it was in any kind of miracle worker territory.
Our reserves played the Luton first team and played them off the park, creating many chances. There was something building and it was clear how JL was setting us up to be more direct in pace, running lines and numbers into the box.

You build and improve as pre-season goes on to peak for the first game, it was an excellently set up and designed pre-season. It meant by United the players were showing their best form and performance over the period and that is exactly what happened.

He gave GO a great hand over, it is why I am so miffed at the false narrative GO is trying and repeatedly peddling about him coming in.

The team was capitulating at will before he arrived, there was a massive issue that on the hole he did very well to reduce how often it happened post World Cup where we were the 10th best team in the league on form.

Didn’t say it was miracle job stuff but it was a bloody good job he came in as many couldn’t have done what he did.

The squad needed those additions of Dawson and lemina especially as those two are significant reasons we stayed up.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our reserves played the Luton first team and played them off the park, creating many chances. There was something building and it was clear how JL was setting us up to be more direct in pace, running lines and numbers into the box.

You build and improve as pre-season goes on to peak for the first game, it was an excellently set up and designed pre-season. It meant by United the players were showing their best form and performance over the period and that is exactly what happened.

He gave GO a great hand over, it is why I am so miffed at the false narrative GO is trying and repeatedly peddling about him coming in.

The team was capitulating at will before he arrived, there was a massive issue that on the hole he did very well to reduce how often it happened post World Cup where we were the 10th best team in the league on form.

Didn’t say it was miracle job stuff but it was a bloody good job he came in as many couldn’t have done what he did.

The squad needed those additions of Dawson and lemina especially as those two are significant reasons we stayed up.
Agree it seemed to be developing in the right direction, but hard to judge friendlies.

I do think the system Lop was building was around getting the best from Nunes, not really fair to blame GON that things have changed a bit now.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You can't expect a manager to come in and carry on the previous managers tactics, no matter how successful they may have been.

GON has come in with his own ideas and it's taking some time to get that into the players - who by all accounts are loving the traning sessions.

He's complained about the lack of fitness, which we've witnessed ourselves on the pitch, and also the focus on individuals rather than team. Given the team spirit we currently have, you can hardly argue against what he's saying.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
You can't expect a manager to come in and carry on the previous managers tactics, no matter how successful they may have been.

GON has come in with his own ideas and it's taking some time to get that into the players - who by all accounts are loving the traning sessions.

He's complained about the lack of fitness, which we've witnessed ourselves on the pitch, and also the focus on individuals rather than team. Given the team spirit we currently have, you can hardly argue against what he's saying.
Mixed on this.

He said he was carrying on the tactics initially I think, I mean, what else could he do with a few days to get ready? In the longer run though of course he has to have his own tactics. The general impression I get is that he doesn't have a way he likes to play, it's based more on who he's up against, no problem with that although it's maybe a bottom half way to think (that's where we are though).

The players may be loving the training, I think there's a bit of a media offensive going on though, the club know the fans aren't happy and are trying to manage that. Not saying it's not true though (usually we only actually find out what players really think once the coach has gone).

Not really buying the lack of fitness line. We certainly looked very fit at Man U. We had excellent fitness coaches in. Nobody starts a season at totally 100%.

Bradstonian

Reaction score

. “People can’t see behind the scenes and the amount of work him [O’Neil] and his team are doing and how they’re setting us up tactically,” said the Wolves captain Max Kilman. “The quality of training has been phenomenal and it was a matter of time before we started picking up the results.”
I wish the players would keep out of the petty arguments on this forum and stick to doing their job on the pitch.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's certain things that are important as a manager/leader IMV.

Cowering after a loss at Ipswich and letting your team take all the negativity and then ensuring you are the last person on the pitch and give yourself the space to be the centre of attention a few days later after a great win.

That's not for me.

I don't think it's something supporters and his players will forget in tougher times either.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mixed on this.

He said he was carrying on the tactics initially I think, I mean, what else could he do with a few days to get ready? In the longer run though of course he has to have his own tactics. The general impression I get is that he doesn't have a way he likes to play, it's based more on who he's up against, no problem with that although it's maybe a bottom half way to think (that's where we are though).

The players may be loving the training, I think there's a bit of a media offensive going on though, the club know the fans aren't happy and are trying to manage that. Not saying it's not true though (usually we only actually find out what players really think once the coach has gone).

Not really buying the lack of fitness line. We certainly looked very fit at Man U. We had excellent fitness coaches in. Nobody starts a season at totally 100%.

I'm not really sure what his preferred tactics are when we're expected to go and win a game like Luton or Everton. It's probably too early to say.

But against teams like City, it's very much the Nuno way of 5 at the back and counter attack. GON was the same at Bournemouth - even against us last season when they had that smash and grab!

I look forward to seeing how his style of play develops. What I will say is that on the whole, it's generally been more entertaining than the last couple of years. We're certainly scoring (and conceding) more, the xG is up etc. I also feel like we have more of a team spirit, and a bunch of lads that we can get behind.

I know the club are very clever with their PR and when they time the release of cetain news, interviews etc. But with the (uneccessary) stick that GON has got recently, I don't blame them for trying to capitalise on a bit of good feeling around the place.

I do think the fitness needs working on though. Liverpool being the first example that springs to mind

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I'm sure you could find a tonne of similar quotes from when Lage took over, probably one from Coady calling it fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom