Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O’Neil

Rhyl Wolf

Reaction score
Bull**** GON, you played agin a club in good form but the side you played was a reserve team. ****e talking muppet.

The replies of Ipswich fans are very balanced and, sadly for us, very telling. I just can't see Hobbs and/or Shi admitting they made a mistake and dropping the guillotine blade right now. He'll prob still be here at Xmas. If it's true that he has lost the dressing room they have to act immediately. It's ok for the players, they can move on to other clubs. We have zero identity, shape or pattern. Grim.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
See, I don't think he's stupid (his smarts were touted in the media when he arrived), so I can only see this as obvious spin. Ipswich made 10 changes, so his boys were not up against a side in a "good vein of form" at all. Like his own selection, it comprised players who were not match fit and hadn't played together often. It's just our starting XI cost ~£73m and theirs' cost ~£4m (only four of whom commanded a transfer fee at all). It's simply not good enough and there are no valid excuses for GON to make.
He's only 6 weeks into the process. The club were not ready for the PL season when he arrived. There is a lot of things that are wrong in the club which he has to fix. The group (team) last night v Ipswich haven't had the opportunity of working with GON.

Seem pretty valid excuses to me! :rolleyes:

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's only 6 weeks into the process. The club were not ready for the PL season when he arrived. There is a lot of things that are wrong in the club which he has to fix. The group (team) last night v Ipswich haven't had the opportunity of working with GON.

On the playing side, we looked more than ready for the start of the season having dismantled a team that finished fourth in the French Ligue 1 last season, as well as beating the Portuguese runners-up and perhaps being a little unlucky to only draw with the Scottish champions. O'Neill has taken a lean, fit and well-drilled side and turned them into a nervy, confused mess that can't perform for anything close to 90 minutes, and are only regressing with each passing week.

If there is a process, I can't see it and I don't think the players can either. The canard that we were a disorganised bunch of individuals with no team ethic when GON arrived is blatant spin emanating from the club; don't buy it. Lopetegui was the one who restored team bonding (having the players eat lunch together after Lage disbanded it etc).

Last edited:

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On the playing side, we looked more than ready for the start of the season having dismantled a team that finished fourth in the French Ligue 1 last season, as well as beating the Portuguese runners-up and perhaps being a little unlucky to only draw with the Scottish champions. O'Neill has taken a lean, fit and well-drilled side and turned them into a nervy, confused mess that can't perform for anything close to 90 minutes, and are only regressing with each passing week.

If there is a process, I can't see it and I don't think the players can either. The canard that we were a disorganised bunch of individuals with no team ethic when GON arrived is blatant spin emanating from the club; don't buy it. Lopetegui was the one who restored team bonding (having the players eat lunch together after Lage disbanded it etc).
I've never seen Doc at LWB nor on the right wing before. Nor have I seen Neto play as a lone 'striker', after we went down to 10 v Luton. These sort of bizarre decisions are akin to a manager on the ropes and expecting or wanting the sack.

Bournemouth fans noted that his in-game management wasn't very good, that he often made strange substitutions and that his team didn't really have much identity. Rather, it was a case of reacting to what the opposition was doing and scrapping for survival.

Perhaps Gary is one of those chaps that might be an excellent coach/no.2 but not a number one?

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Exactly this. He’s like a Frankenstein mixture of Lage (for his utterly demoralising demeanour), Saunders (for his press conference gibberish and lack of tactical nous), and Davis (for his inability to organise a defence).

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

On the playing side we looked so ready, the manager upped and left? Ain't having that for one minute. He might not be doing a particularly good job, but the idea everything was hunky-dory before the season started is laughable. We conceded 16 goals in the last 5 games before the end of last season.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On the playing side we looked so ready, the manager upped and left? Ain't having that for one minute. He might not be doing a particularly good job, but the idea everything was hunky-dory before the season started is laughable. We conceded 16 goals in the last 5 games before the end of last season.
Get a sense of proportion. The end of the season was bad, but the pressure was off, they were on the beach. It happens. The season we walked the Championship under Nuno we lost 3-0 at relegated Sunderland in the final game. You conveniently forget beating Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea, West Ham, Villa, Brentford and Palace at all home, all after Xmas, all without conceding a goal. When did GON ever come close to that? That doesn't suggest to me a squad that needed pulling together

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The manager upped and left because his employer continually lied to him and reneged on previous agreements. That doesn't mean he hadn't coached the players he had into good shape relative to their own abilities.

The end of last season has become a rather tired talking point from the anti-Lop crowd. To wit, 11 of those 16 goals came in two games, away to two of the best sides at the time - one of which was a dead rubber at season's end and the other where he experimented with a more attacking lineup after safety was secured. It's simply too limited a sample size to draw any conclusions.

T

TheConcourse

Get a sense of proportion. The end of the season was bad, but the pressure was off, they were on the beach. It happens. The season we walked the Championship under Nuno we lost 3-0 at relegated Sunderland in the final game. You conveniently forget beating Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea, West Ham, Villa, Brentford and Palace at all home, all after Xmas, all without conceding a goal. When did GON ever come close to that? That doesn't suggest to me a squad that needed pulling together
Spot on. I’d argue that if anything the one consistent with our squad since promotion was always their spirit and bond. That’s been fairly consistent.

To suggest that the culture is broken and it’s a bunch of individuals feels way wide of the mark, unless things have shifted since the big names departed in the summer.

Even then, GON has repeatedly called his players out in public. He’s what, 6-8 weeks in? He’s lost control already, with a fair ambivalent group of supporters.

Imagine what happens when we’re down against Villa in front of a full house? He’s going to get torn apart. I wouldn’t recommend managers do this often, but if I was him, and for the sake of his future career, I’d seriously walk away, because his reputation is going down the pan.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The manager upped and left because his employer continually lied to him and reneged on previous agreements. That doesn't mean he hadn't coached the players he had into good shape relative to their own abilities.

The last few games of last season has become a rather tired talking point from the anti-Lop crowd. For example, 11 of those 16 goals came in two games, away to two of the best sides at the time - one of which was a dead rubber at season's end and the other where he experimented with a more attacking lineup after safety was secured (and was arguably as much a protest vote as anything). It's simply too limited a sample size to draw any conclusions.
The anti-lop crowd? You talk as though we got him sacked or something when in reality I wanted him to stay on. He didn't want to stay. He turned us down twice before
I don't want uncompetitive bull**** like the stuff at Brighton, or the the first 25 minutes at Luton. I ain't a fan of any manager, I am a fan of wolves.

The manager upped and left because he was scared that the fixtures coming up would damage his reputation and though **** this. He would have liked more transfers, but if he felt he could do the job well without it impacting his reputation he would have stayed. This duality where before the season people were saying Lopetegui will need better players just to keep us up, and then the situation we are now in and everything was apparently fine, is just ridiculous.

Losing 6 to Brighton is an argument you find tiring because in reality, there is no good counter. It doesn't happen very often, it is our heaviest defeat in the premier league. And it wasn't a one off. We conceded 4 against Leeds for **** sake, Leicester beat us and Southampton we were **** until we had the man sent off(sound familiar?).

And mentioning sample size when you are calling for a sacking for a guy who has been here for 6 weeks is hilarious.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You've not given GON half a chance to do that though, have you? The form that Lope ended the season on isn't good enough now.

T

TheConcourse

The anti-lop crowd? You talk as though we got him sacked or something when in reality I wanted him to stay on. He didn't want to stay. He turned us down twice before
I don't want uncompetitive bull**** like the stuff at Brighton, or the the first 25 minutes at Luton. I ain't a fan of any manager, I am a fan of wolves.

The manager upped and left because he was scared that the fixtures coming up would damage his reputation and though **** this. He would have liked more transfers, but if he felt he could do the job well without it impacting his reputation he would have stayed. This duality where before the season people were saying Lopetegui will need better players just to keep us up, and then the situation we are now in and everything was apparently fine, is just ridiculous.

Losing 6 to Brighton is an argument you find tiring because in reality, there is no good counter. It doesn't happen very often, it is our heaviest defeat in the premier league. And it wasn't a one off. We conceded 4 against Leeds for **** sake, Leicester beat us and Southampton we were **** until we had the man sent off(sound familiar?).

And mentioning sample size when you are calling for a sacking for a guy who has been here for 6 weeks is hilarious.
What’s the argument for keeping him beyond giving him time, and what have you seen that can give the rest of us hope?

Genuine questions.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Not as funny as your false claim that I have called for GON to be sacked. If you could point to any such post I would be most appreciative. I can point to at least two where I say I am willing to give him until the end of October. That would be 12 games in all competitions, which is more than enough.

Shipping 6 to Brighton is extremely poor, no way around it, but you're being highly selective. 4 goals against Leeds? One of the worst officiating performances of the season (Ref not overturning the shirt pull when asked to look by VAR, for example)? Southampton? A game we ultimately won with 10 men against great adversity? Funny you never mentioned that we thumped Liverpool 3-0, or got 8 clean sheets in 13 home games under Lopetegui. You know, for the sake of being fair and balanced...

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

They were defo ready,

Drew with champions league Celtic
Second string battered (without scoring) the Luton first team
Hammered Rennes who put West Ham and forest to the sword brutally in the previous week.

Then the Man Utd set up was all JL

He was given a fantastic hand over and a group of lads who looked fit, primed and motivated for the season……

Bankswolf The Third

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They were defo ready,

Drew with champions league Celtic
Second string battered (without scoring) the Luton first team
Hammered Rennes who put West Ham and forest to the sword brutally in the previous week.

Then the Man Utd set up was all JL

He was given a fantastic hand over and a group of lads who looked fit, primed and motivated for the season……
I want to add to that time line because I think its important

After the Man Utd game where everybody was surprised at the level we were competing we went to Brighton full of hope not neccessarly to win but to show enough energy and guile to cause problems

We were 1-0 down when Brighton came storming out for the second half followed by this:

We lost 4-1

We played Everton a team so devoid of confidence at that point and thankfully one moment of quality from Neto to Sasa won us the game. We never saw Sasa after this.

Two things jump at me, not only is he out of depth but he has coached the team to play backwards, has half time team talks that causes complete knock of confidence which I can also use the Liverpool game as evidence to back up my point and then when he finds a winning formula doesnt use it again.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I want to add to that time line because I think its important

After the Man Utd game where everybody was surprised at the level we were competing we went to Brighton full of hope not neccessarly to win but to show enough energy and guile to cause problems

We were 1-0 down when Brighton came storming out for the second half followed by this:

We lost 4-1

We played Everton a team so devoid of confidence at that point and thankfully one moment of quality from Neto to Sasa won us the game. We never saw Sasa after this.

Two things jump at me, not only is he out of depth but he has coached the team to play backwards, has half time team talks that causes complete knock of confidence which I can also use the Liverpool game as evidence to back up my point and then when he finds a winning formula doesnt use it again.
He has turned them into his Bournemouth team if you look at the set up, the subs and the average time they are made……

It is almost a perfect carbon copy of that stint.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

What are these things he has to fix please. He's certainly appears to have ****ed up what Julen did.

Last edited:

Edmund Dantes

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It's difficult for me to buy the "He's only been here for 6 weeks and the club was not ready". Our recent results include
  • A Draw with newly promoted Luton who hasn't seen top flight football for more than 30 years
  • A loss to low confidence Everton
  • A loss to Ipswich
It's not going to get easier.

SWest Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score

It's difficult for me to buy the "He's only been here for 6 weeks and the club was not ready". Our recent results include
  • A Draw with newly promoted Luton who hasn't seen top flight football for more than 30 years
  • A loss to Ipswich
Did we not beat Everton?

worc_wolf

Reaction score
  • A loss to Ipswich
Loss to Everton?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
  • A loss to Ipswich
While l agree with the thrust of your argument we beat, God knows how, Everton.

Edmund Dantes

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I am sorry, you all are correct, we did beat Everton. That will teach me to not try and write stuff on here inbetween meetings.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While I don't think the players are deliberately trying to get him the sack, there are obvious strains in the relationship. Players look visibly confused and frustrated by his tactics and instructions.
And also I presume his digs at them in the postmatch interviews probably aren't going down well either.
I remember reading the biography of one former PL player who said, that while it wasn't entirely impossible for a manager with no previous succes or experience to win over the dressing room, they'd face quite an uphill battle and have players lose trust in them much faster; than a manager with a stronger pedigree.
I'd imagine most players have been willing to give ONeil a chance. He seems a nice bloke and can probably put together some decent training sessions.
But slowly as his ideas have t worked and his game management have failed I think whatever credit he had has slipped away.

John Wolves Fan

Groupie
Reaction score
As Wolves supporters we should be supporting the team and the manager rather than getting on their back.

Give GON enough time to prove he is upto the job or otherwise. We don't need to make rash decisions so early into the season.

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
“He needs to work extremely hard, as a lot of them do,” O’Neil said.
“As I speak about things around the club that need to improve, Fabio knows. I’ve spoken to him very clearly around where we want to get him to, what I want to help him with.
“We’ll get to work with him and try to make sure he’s in a place to affect Premier League games.
“He managed to get a few chances early on but Nathan has trained extremely well and is working extremely hard, so it was important we saw him as well.”

A dominant start to the game saw Wolves take a 2-0 lead on Tuesday evening, before collapsing and throwing away their chance of progressing in the Carabao Cup.

O’Neil, clearly frustrated from his side’s showing, stayed composed as he dissected Wolves’ ‘disappointing’ result.
He added: “I thought their first goal was a sloppy one from us when we’d had a decent bit of play and nearly got Sasa in down the side and didn’t manage to lock it down quickly enough and the first goal comes from nothing.
“And they’re a decent side who haven’t lost many games over the last year and they’re a lot further along.

“You can see the understanding between all the players on the pitch and what they’re trying to do is a lot further along than ours.
“From half-time I didn’t think there was too much in it. Bents (Dan Bentley) didn’t have a lot to do and the boy has scored a worldie from a long way out.
“We huffed and puffed and created a couple of bits around the goal.

“I’m not sure if the Rayan goal is offside. He gave Fabio Silva off and it looks very tight. Obviously I’m extremely disappointed because I felt the team should be capable of winning here with the players that we had on the pitch and we fell short of that.
“When you look at goals there is always a reason, so I understand the question but there is always disappointment when you concede a goal because there is always something that wasn’t correct with decision making or structurally.
“So of course I’m disappointed with the goals and there’s an overall feeling of disappointment because we should have had enough on the pitch to come here and put in a display that gets us through to the next round.”

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
“He needs to work extremely hard, as a lot of them do,” O’Neil said.

“As I speak about things around the club that need to improve, Fabio knows. I’ve spoken to him very clearly around where we want to get him to, what I want to help him with.

“We’ll get to work with him and try to make sure he’s in a place to affect Premier League games.

“He managed to get a few chances early on but Nathan has trained extremely well and is working extremely hard, so it was important we saw him as well.”

A dominant start to the game saw Wolves take a 2-0 lead on Tuesday evening, before collapsing and throwing away their chance of progressing in the Carabao Cup.

O’Neil, clearly frustrated from his side’s showing, stayed composed as he dissected Wolves’ ‘disappointing’ result.

He added: “I thought their first goal was a sloppy one from us when we’d had a decent bit of play and nearly got Sasa in down the side and didn’t manage to lock it down quickly enough and the first goal comes from nothing.

“And they’re a decent side who haven’t lost many games over the last year and they’re a lot further along.

“You can see the understanding between all the players on the pitch and what they’re trying to do is a lot further along than ours.

“From half-time I didn’t think there was too much in it. Bents (Dan Bentley) didn’t have a lot to do and the boy has scored a worldie from a long way out.

“We huffed and puffed and created a couple of bits around the goal.

“I’m not sure if the Rayan goal is offside. He gave Fabio Silva off and it looks very tight. Obviously I’m extremely disappointed because I felt the team should be capable of winning here with the players that we had on the pitch and we fell short of that.

“When you look at goals there is always a reason, so I understand the question but there is always disappointment when you concede a goal because there is always something that wasn’t correct with decision making or structurally.

“So of course I’m disappointed with the goals and there’s an overall feeling of disappointment because we should have had enough on the pitch to come here and put in a display that gets us through to the next round.”

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The DM has picked up on GON’s comments about how bad things were when he arrived, headlining that Gary points the finger at Lopetegui. He really isn’t helping himself when, as the article points out, we are yet to see signs of any improvement.

StaffordWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The DM has picked up on GON’s comments about how bad things were when he arrived, headlining that Gary points the finger at Lopetegui. He really isn’t helping himself when, as the article points out, we are yet to see signs of any improvement.

Not only no signs of improvement, we have very clearly regressed.

Bankswolf The Third

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Good, I was worried given his punditry it would be hes labelled as the nice guy whose everyone bezzie a bit like Fat Frank

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
100% got worse since Dalrymple left. He engaged with the fans, listened to what we wanted and would try and deliver against that. He spoke with confidence and I think we all trusted what he said. He seemed decent and down to earth, not like a slimy car salesman that we have seen since.

I would love to know the reasons Laurie suddenly left under such a cloud.
That goes directly against what people think of him who worked with him or dealt with him. His reputation around the club was dismal.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You'd have to be a proper mug to fall for any of this bull****. The idea that we were individualistic with no team ethic under his predecessor is diametrically opposed to observable reality. JL instilled a pragmatic, defence-first, unit mentality to such a degree that many thought he stifled the individualism of our better creative players!
GON is insulting the intelligence of Wolves fans.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You'd have to be a proper mug to fall for any of this bull****. The idea that we were individualistic with no team ethic under his predecessor is diametrically opposed to observable reality. JL instilled a pragmatic, defence-first, unit mentality to such a degree that many thought he stifled the individualism of our better creative players!
GON is insulting the intelligence of Wolves fans.
Cannot stand the ****ing *****.

For the love of god **** him off.

Worst Wolves manager of all time. I was embarrassed on the day we appointed him, yet he has somehow managed to live down to all my worst fears. Little ****ing weasel.

Back
Top Bottom