Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O’Neil

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Be nice to see you turn that round and remind the people who continuously post about how much better we would be with him, that he has left, he never wanted to be here and he orchestrated his own departure.
It’s only your opinion that he never wanted to be here and I’d disagree based on the fact he came to us whilst bottom of the league

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lage was not massively better in that respect. There always seemed a disconnection between him and the rest of the club, players and fanbase. Lage did have the better hand of having a group of players with some leaders amongst it though... by contrast O'Neil has got a total ragbag of a squad with few players ready to truly suffer on the pitch for the sake of the club and things haven't been helped by the non-entities of the coaching staff at his side.
I think a lot of that is down to who Lage replaced. Nuno meant everything to us and who ever came, was going to find it hard filling Nuno's shoes.

Westbakejazz

Reaction score
Potter got screwed by Tod beoly, a nuisance of a owner who thought he could buy a team to challenge for the title. Potter was on a hiding to nothing trying to integrate 600 million pounds of new signings. How many managers since potter. I rest my case
And Chelsea got booed off at full time today

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s only your opinion that he never wanted to be here and I’d disagree based on the fact he came to us whilst bottom of the league

I said Lopetegui did a good job keeping us up and till he opened his gob with his media chum, would have been happy to see him in charge this season.

Could you manage just to say one thing negative about Lopetegui's career, or all his controversies.

King Henry VIII

Groupie
Reaction score
What do people make of these comments?

"They" are his players.
To me, this is the most worrying trait he's showing at the minute.

I won't profess to be a great manager but even I know you don't criticise your team publicly. Any perceived mistakes it fallings are my fault, my responsibility. Then it's my job to give honest and fair feedback privately, then coach and support them to improve our manage them out.

If I sell them down the river publicly, how can I ever expect them to trust me, to listen to me?

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I said Lopetegui did a good job keeping us up and till he opened his gob with his media chum, would have been happy to see him in charge this season.

Could you manage just to say one thing negative about Lopetegui's career, or all his controversies.
I didn’t think much of that brown polo neck top he used to wear.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not sure what he is going on about to be honest. He said something after one of the other games, suggesting the players are too expressive and wanted a more rigid structure (or words to that effect). Of the nine games we won last season under JL, seven were at home and all were with clean sheets. There must have been some sort of structure in place for us to beat Spurs, Liverpool, West Ham, Chelsea etc. This season we've lost both home games, shipping seven goals.

And I always thought that if anything, we were far too organised and disciplined and it stifled our attack. Though was the secret to us grinding out results. That he seems oblivious to this, when we were still playing this way last season, has me worried that he is losing the plot already. If we don't beat Luton, then the writing is on the wall and he needs to be replaced ASAP. It's all about keeping players motivated and on your side now, the things he's saying about them don't sound good

TF2Wolf

Reaction score
Lopetegui has no relevance to Wolves now, he left, he didn’t want to be here and should be left to pasture.
I have no issue with Lopetegui going per se, given how the relationship between him and Shi appeared had ended it was clear the trust had been broken on both sides.

To replace him and the analysts, the fitness coaches with GON and his patched together back room staff is imv the problem.

I just don’t understand how and why Fosun and Co seem intent on repeating the same mistakes as when Nuno left and appointing the cheap option but now expect a different outcome. It’s bizarre and I still can’t wrap my head round it.

The other worrying thing is the feeling of apathy especially before the match felt like going through the motions turning up out of loyalty more than hope and expectation. I’m no expert but even the pre match drills don’t seem as professional and organised as under Nuno & Lopetegui. It feels like the worst times of Lage & Hoddle all in one.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doesn’t matter if he wanted to be here or not, or what his motivations were. Is he a better manager than GO?

It does matter, because firstly if he did want to be here, he wouldn’t have done the interviews with his buddy. He would have known accusing the owners of breaking agreements, would not get extra transfer funds, but would bring about his exit, so for me, that was a calculated move to leave, giving the club no option but to dismiss him or to come to an agreement to leave. So anyone saying he didn't want to leave, in my opinion are mistaken.
Lopetegui didn't fancy his chances with our new look squad, so we can't be sure how he would handle the squad he had at hand. My own opinion is he did well last season and I would have liked him to stay, before he orchestrated his own removal. As he did do this, it is waste of time saying how well he would have done, because he didn't want to be here
Is he better than GON, well it took him 17 years as a League manager to win his only club trophy and that is at club that has won the same trophy 7 times, even won it last year when they were fighting relegation. Before Seville, in 2020 his club record was very bad, 2 sackings, one in 9 matches, the other in 14 matches and winning nothing with Oporto.
To answer your question honestly, I would have preferred Lopetegui to stay, than have GON, but Lopetegui is a gutless, self serving ****, who abandoned ship and GON wanted to manage us.
I can't be more honest than that.

Last edited:
T

TheConcourse

He‘s a coward, classic deflection, blaming others for his own inadequacies..
Easier when he gets sacked to say he inherited a bad squad.

This is the best job the fraud will ever get.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Klopp didn't change anything until halftime because he had the luxury of not doing so. Lucky it but, the fact is it was only 1-0.

For all our great play in the first half we again created very little in the way of quality chances. Obviously Cunha's fluff had a big impact on our position but the fact is he did **** it up and so Liverpool weren't in that desperate a position.

So they go in at halftime only a goal down, Klopp makes changes in personnel and tactics (which have been very well explained by @KBWWFC , @Slothmonkey , et al) and gives his players some clear instruction for the second half. Klopp is probably fairly confident at that point that they can get at least one goal. It was almost immediately apparent that these changes were effective and the balance of play has shifted massively in Liverpool's favour.

O'Neil seemed to identify that there was a problem (it would've been pretty difficult not to, we were getting pumped) but his answer was wholly inadequate. It isn't GON's fault that Cunha didn't take his chance, and I have a fair bit of sympathy for him having joined a club in seeking chaos. However, he is the manager and you can't manage based on what ifs, you have to deal with the reality at hand. The reality was that we weren't 2 or 3 up, and we were struggling to get any foothold in the game in the second half.

We are not a team that can afford to throw away points from a winning position in any game. We may not always be able to stop it, that's the beauty of football, but it would help if we didn't make it harder for ourselves. We are starting to see a trend of poor organisation and poor subs that are consistently costing us points.

You may say that we didn't expect much from this run if games ahead of time, and that is correct, but the reality is we have been in positions in almost every match where we could have taken something if we had just managed the situation properly. Every Time we **** that up it makes the "easier" matches even more important and more pressurised. And if we then don't get the result we want in those matches (and again, the beauty of football is that results don't always go as you'd expect) we are in a truly difficult position.
You were right with what you said in the first 2 paragraphs, Klopp was lucky and we fluffed our chances. If the players would of taken them then this thread would be dead for at least a week

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would all those on here who are telling us how crap GON is let me know how many points we would have now if JLO was still in charge . Try to be honest please
Best of both worlds would be O'Neil managing the first half so we wouldn't have Lopetegui getting the first 11 wrong then Lopetegui making the subs 2nd half

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It does matter, because firstly if he did want to be here, he wouldn’t have done the interviews with his buddy. He would have known accusing the owners of breaking agreements, would not get extra transfer funds, but would bring about his exit, so for me, that was a calculated move to leave, giving the club no option but to dismiss him or to come to an agreement to leave. So anyone saying he didn't want to leave, in my opinion are mistaken.
Lopetegui didn't fancy his chances with our new look squad, so we can't be sure how he would handle the squad he had at hand. My own opinion is he did well last season and I would have liked him to stay, before he orchestrated his own removal. As he did do this, it is waste of time saying how well he would have done, because he didn't want to be here
Is he better than GON, well it took him 17 years as a League manager to win his only club trophy and that is a club that has won the same trophy 7 times, even won it last year when they were fighting relegation. Before Seville, in 2020 his club record was very bad, 2 sackings, one in 9 matches, the other in 14 matches and winning nothing with Oporto.
To answer your question honestly, I would have preferred Lopetegui to stay, than have GON, but Lopetegui is a gutless, self serving ****, who abandoned ship and GON wanted to manage us.
I can't be more honest than that.

That’s fine. I’ve made it clear I don’t want JL back and don’t trust him. But most of the posts you’re reacting to are really bemoaning the fact that our club expensively hired and fired an experienced coach, and replaced him with someone who few would suggest is his equal, let alone better.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s fine. I’ve made it clear I don’t want JL back and don’t trust him. But most of the posts you’re reacting to are really bemoaning the fact that our club expensively hired and fired an experienced coach, and replaced him with someone who few would suggest is his equal, let alone better.
If we’d actually gone out and got a manager equal to Lopetegui nobody would care that he’s gone.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He ain't here anymore. He made it impossible to continue and has no relevance to what we have now.
It would have been better if he had stayed, but by making those public comments, he was making a calculated move to be fired or come to an agreement with a pay off.
The rest to me is irrelevant. He has gone and he didn't want to be here.
I can see the point moaning if a manager you liked wanted to be here, but he didn't, so I will support the person who does want to manage us and hope he learns quickly.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even one who was only 75% Lop would’ve done! O’Neill is 7.5%! What his win ratio now? 42 games with wolves and Bournemouth? Somewhere about 20%??
With all respect, Lopetegui had the worst ever start in La Liga for Seville last year. It was mainly his team and he had lots of experience managing that club. I think his start last year was worse than GON"s.
You can't judge after 5 matches. Granted Lopetegui had good years before.
The issue now is GON and Lopetegui is irrelevant.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He ain't here anymore. He made it impossible to continue and has no relevance to what we have now.
It would have been better if he had stayed, but by making those public comments, he was making a calculated move to be fired or come to an agreement with a pay off.
The rest to me is irrelevant. He has gone and he didn't want to be here.
I can see the point moaning if a manager you liked wanted to be here, but he didn't, so I will support the person who does want to manage us and hope he learns quickly.
Your hatred for JL is palpable, even when trying unsuccessfully to be reasonable, we all know your opinion don't need continual reminders.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With all respect, Lopetegui had the worst ever start in La Liga for Seville last year. It was mainly his team and he had lots of experience managing that club. I think his start last year was worse than GON"s.
So we are in agreement that GON is bilge.

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
100% agree with McKenna. On the way up, highly motivated.
This is the thing. It’s bad enough to pay out JL to leave but why not go for a genuinely rated up and coming prospect? GON is a ****e, lazy appointment.

In my experience when everybody you know that follows football laughs at an appointment, it’s not one that should be made. Smacks of arrogance which I’ve seen in Shi for years. *******.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Playing how we actually played but with Lopetegui in charge I think we beat Man U, beat Everton and we would have won yesterday.

I get what you're saying re Liverpool. I'm not sure we could have done anything more against Man Utd. It was all to do with wasted chances. The performance was brilliant.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s also irrelevant as it also La Liga!!

The point is GON is fast approaching 50 games managed on the premier league and I’ll bet when he gets there, his win ratio will be in the top ten worst ever, for managers in over 50 games! That’s very very relevant

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s also irrelevant as it also La Liga!!

The point is GON is fast approaching 50 games managed on the premier league and I’ll bet when he gets there, his win ratio will be in the top ten worst ever, for managers in over 50 games! That’s very very relevant

The Liga was only used, because a comparison was made between Lopetegui and GON and as Lopetegui managed Seville last year, I think it is just to point out he had a terrible start too, last year.
La liga is only relevant if Lopetegui is relevant. My opinion is neither are relevant. We are where we are. We have played 5 matches and I only hope it gets better, as I am sure most do.

Urko

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is this the Lopetegui thread ? I could have sworn it was to discuss the merits of Gary O’Neil,

Back
Top Bottom