Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O’Neil

loppers86

Reaction score
his subs also lost us points going 3 at the back when we had momentum like Newcastle away ..... not saying he's not a better manager because he obviously has had some elite jobs at Spain Madrid Saville ect but he made a fair few tactical mistakes aswell
People do make mistakes. GON does nothing else though. And then blames Lop or the players.

This used to be about his inexperience - it’s now about that and his Nathan Jones-ness as well.

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not sure what he is going on about to be honest. He said something after one of the other games, suggesting the players are too expressive and wanted a more rigid structure (or words to that effect). Of the nine games we won last season under JL, seven were at home and all were with clean sheets. There must have been some sort of structure in place for us to beat Spurs, Liverpool, West Ham, Chelsea etc. This season we've lost both home games, shipping seven goals.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not sure what he is going on about to be honest. He said something after one of the other games, suggesting the players are too expressive and wanted a more rigid structure (or words to that effect). Of the nine games we won last season under JL, seven were at home and all were with clean sheets. There must have been some sort of structure in place for us to beat Spurs, Liverpool, West Ham, Chelsea etc. This season we've lost both home games, shipping seven goals.
Just shows how full of **** he is.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bobby Robson has **** all to do with Wolves. You’re really scraping the barrel to justify your dislike of Lopetegui now.

You are saying Lopetegui was justified in orchestrating his own departure, because he couldn't get the transfers he wanted. I am pointing out that Sir Bobby Robson signed 14 players in 13 years at Ipswich and do you think Sir obby Robson would have done the best with what he had, or orchestrated his own departure?

I don't care about Lopetegui, he left Wolves, because like always he cared about himself and not the club he was managing.

I am not the person continuously bringing up Lopetegui and siding with him instead of the club. He has left, he wanted to leave, so don't know why you can't accept that. He is irrelevant to our club, or it's future.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You are saying Lopetegui was justified in orchestrating his own departure, because he couldn't get the transfers he wanted. I am pointing out that Sir Bobby Robson signed 14 players in 13 years at Ipswich and do you think Sir obby Robson would have done the best with what he had, or orchestrated his own departure?

I don't care about Lopetegui, he left Wolves, because like always he cared a out himself and not the club he was managing.

I am not the person continuously bringing up Lopetegui and siding with him instead of the club. He has left, he wanted to leave, so don't know why you can't accept that. He is irrelevant to our club, or it's future.
He’s more relevant to us than Bobby ****ing Robson!

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s more relevant to us than Bobby ****ing Robson!

Well answer the questions

Do you think Sir Bobby Robson would have orchestrated his own removal and do you think he would have got on with the job and used the players at his disposal?

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well answer the questions

Do you think Sir Bobby Robson would have orchestrated his own removal and do you think he would have got on with the job and used the players at his disposal?
I DONT ****ING CARE ABOUT ****ING BOBBY ****ING ROBSON!!!!

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bobby Robson WTF :D:D:D
Haha an Elite manager, who honoured his contracts, did brilliantly with what he had at his disposal and won titles in every country he went to.
I use him as a comparison, because some people think Lopetegui is the messiah and was justified by leaving, because if he didn't get the players he wanted, it would blemish his career.
Sir Bobby Robson was the exact opposite and worked with what he had, and got on wity the job, winning numerous titles.
Chalk and cheese.

Last edited:

King Henry VIII

Groupie
Reaction score
Sir Bobby Robson only had 14 signings in his 13 years at Ipswich. He brought some brilliant players up through the youth system. He won the League twice with PSV Eindhoven, won the league twice with Porto, without a record spend. Won the Copa del Rey, Sopacopa with Barca and made Ipswich Town in to one of the best teams in England.

He won the EUFA CUP with Ipswich and Barca.

Can you imagine Bobby Robson using his media buddy to orchestrate his own exit, because he couldn't get the money he wanted? Or do you think he would have got on with the job and got the best out of the players he had?

To me Bobby Robson was everything in a manager. A winner, A club man, a man who got the best out of what he was given an elite manager and a gentleman.
That's all really interesting, but it was also 50 years ago. Bobby Robson managing Ipswich also wouldn't have had to compete against teams owned by oil states, dealt with the 24/7 media cycle, used advanced video and statistical analysis, etc.

Bobby Robson was one of the greatest, but he is also (sadly) pretty irrelevant to Wolves situation in the 2020s.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Haha an Elite manager, who honoured his contracts, did brilliantly with what he had at his disposal and won titles in every country he went to.
I use him as a comparison, because some people think Lopetegui is the messiah and was justified by leaving, because if he didn't get the players he wanted, it would blemish his career.
Sir Bobby Robson was the exact opposite and worked with what he had, and got on the job, winning numerous titles.
Chalk and cheese.
It’s quite possibly the most nonsensical argument I’ve ever heard on here.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's all really interesting, but it was also 50 years ago. Bobby Robson managing Ipswich also wouldn't have had to compete against teams owned by oil states, dealt with the 24/7 media cycle, used advanced video and statistical analysis, etc.

Bobby Robson was one of the greatest, but he is also (sadly) pretty irrelevant to Wolves situation in the 2020s.
A gentleman who honours his contracts and does the best with what he has at his disposal, is timeless, as much as someone who is well known for causing problems and only thinking about himself and shows no loyalty to the club or the people who pay his wages.
These are character traits and have nothing to do with time.
Chalk and cheese.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He saw the fixture list, he saw how we were playing against Celtic and he **** himself. And now his fanboys are acting like he would be doing much better.

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Potter wouldn’t come to us. Edwards is too inexperienced for this level IMO.

However, there are many more quality coaches from other leagues who may want to manage in the PL.

If Villa can get Unai Emery then we can do much better than GON if it doesn’t work out
The problem being, managers like Emery aren’t cheap to hire. If we want a high profile manager, we have to pay the dollar. We aren’t prepared or cannot do that so we are shopping in the market where O’Neil is about all you can get, unfortunately.

O.W.E.I

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sir Bobby Robson only had 14 signings in his 13 years at Ipswich. He brought some brilliant players up through the youth system. He won the League twice with PSV Eindhoven, won the league twice with Porto, without a record spend. Won the Copa del Rey, Sopacopa with Barca and made Ipswich Town in to one of the best teams in England.

He won the EUFA CUP with Ipswich and Barca.

Can you imagine Bobby Robson using his media buddy to orchestrate his own exit, because he couldn't get the money he wanted? Or do you think he would have got on with the job and got the best out of the players he had?

To me Bobby Robson was everything in a manager. A winner, A club man, a man who got the best out of what he was given an elite manager and a gentleman.
It's UEFA, FFS.

Everything else is spot on, I won't give you detention and 100 lines for one little slip.

'Stourport's heart is in the right place, he works hard and usually knows his stuff, but is prone to the occasional slip.
With a little more application, this can be ironed out and he should go on to be a success in his chosen field.
You can be very proud Mr & Mrs Stourport'
9/10.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I thought first half yesterday was one of our best performances in recent years. For once we were moving the ball both wide and through the centre and our midfield were excellent.
We seem very all our nothing in the way we play. We either push and press, like in the first half yesterday or surrender possession and sit deep, inviting wave after wave of attack. I think we need to find the ability to retain the ball better, frustrate the opposition and give our midfield a bit of a breather to allow them to start pressing more as the game goes on.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's UEFA, FFS.

Everything else is spot on, I won't give you detention and 100 lines for one little slip.

'Stourport's heart is in the right place, he works hard and usually knows his stuff, but is prone to the occasional slip.
With a little more application, this can be ironed out and he should go on to be a success in his chosen field.
You can be very proud Mr & Mrs Stourport'
9/10.

Thank you mate. I won't forget this heartwarming appraisal.

O.W.E.I

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But but but, he’s trying to change months of negative culture and ‘loose’ play.

Honestly, I’ve never heard so much BS come out of a man’s mouth. He’s making Saunders sound like a genius.
He was compared to this one.

T

TheConcourse

You've put forward a decent case to be fair.

But remember, nobody wants this situation. Life is better when Wolves are doing well, we all feel it, No way does anyone here enjoy what we have become at this time.

However, some of us have been around a while and have seen a relegation coming and I see it now.
No he hasn’t haha.

All of the mid-table sides we’ve played have battered us too. The likes of Villa will absolutely rip us apart on current form.

We look okay in patches, but teams don’t even have to play THAT well to score 2/3 goals against us.

We’re an absolute mess defensively. Players should take their share of that, but they were much better under Lop bar a couple of anomalies.

We’re seeing pretty shocking defensive displays in every game under GON this season - not including United.

Urko

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I don't care about Lopetegui, he left Wolves, because like always he cared about himself and not the club he was managing.

Did Lopetegui push you into the swimming pool fully clothed when you were a 10 year old in Spain ?

Just like players, every manager in the modern era is out for themselves.

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What do people make of these comments?

“We conceded an absolutely crazy second goals which is a lot of the stuff I have been trying to get out of the players really since I got here.

“They play quite loosely and go off and do their own things. That is just the way they have been playing for an awful long time. So, trying to take that unpredictability out as much as we can until we get to the final third.

"They" are his players.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did Lopetegui push you into the swimming pool fully clothed when you were a 10 year old in Spain ?

Just like players, every manager in the modern era is out for themselves.

Lopetegui has no relevance to Wolves now, he left, he didn’t want to be here and should be left to pasture.
I don't care about what he does, or where he goes. It is no longer me who has the problem, but a few that think he actually cared about Wolves or their fans and can't let him go.
Character traits are timeless.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lopetegui has no relevance to Wolves now, he left, he didn’t want to be here and should be left to pasture.
I don't care about what he does, or where he goes. It is no longer me who has the problem, but a few that think he actually cared about Wolves or their fans and can't let him go.
Character traits are timeless.
For someone who doesn’t care you sure do say a lot about him.

King Henry VIII

Groupie
Reaction score
A gentleman who honours his contracts and does the best with what he has at his disposal, is timeless, as much as someone who is well known for causing problems and only thinking about himself and shows no loyalty to the club or the people who pay his wages.
These are character traits and have nothing to do with time.
Chalk and cheese.
Agreed. He was great. Still completely irrelevant.

Bobby Robson was successful with those traits in a completely different age of football. A similar culture just doesn't exist anymore.

De Zerbi is the 10th longest serving manager in the league, he's about to celebrate his first anniversary in the role tomorrow.

To be honest, this while conversation is irrelevant. Bobby Robson is irrelevant, Lopetegui is irrelevant.

Gary O'Neil is our manager now. He's joined a club which has lost its identity and seems to lack a clear vision and strategy.

He's taken 3 points from 15 and we have conceded 11 goals. He seems to be able to coach a team well enough between matches, and set them up to start games well, but he has also shown poor in-game management and a worrying tendency to throw his players under the bus in interview.

I don't think he's been given enough in terms of support staff, but there are things that are within his control that he needs to start doing better at, and quickly. We won't have a world cup to help save us this season.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For someone who doesn’t care you sure do say a lot about him.

Be nice to see you turn that round and remind the people who continuously post about how much better we would be with him, that he has left, he never wanted to be here and he orchestrated his own departure.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He‘s a coward, classic deflection, blaming others for his own inadequacies..
I'm not actually sure he's being tactical in what he said. It just screams that he hasn't built up any relationship with the squad though and he's really an poor fit for being a head coach.

In that role you have to understand that you are the figurehead for the club and for all the players.

He was just a sticking plaster at Bournemouth and that should have been that for his head coach roles but Wolves have a hierarchy of decision-makers who work based either on their own egos or their own job security so that's why O'Neil has got in the door here whereas no other club made any approaches for him and even the club he delivered survival for said goodbye at the first chance.

Lage was not massively better in that respect. There always seemed a disconnection between him and the rest of the club, players and fanbase. Lage did have the better hand of having a group of players with some leaders amongst it though... by contrast O'Neil has got a total ragbag of a squad with few players ready to truly suffer on the pitch for the sake of the club and things haven't been helped by the non-entities of the coaching staff at his side.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Be nice to see you turn that round and remind the people who continuously post about how much better we would be with him, that he has left, he never wanted to be here and he orchestrated his own departure.

Doesn’t matter if he wanted to be here or not, or what his motivations were. Is he a better manager than GO?

Back
Top Bottom