Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O’Neil

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Obviously the jury is out to some extent, but I'd give you Saunders, TC and Zenga as worse Wolves appointments in the last 20 years, so I'm pretty confident it's not in the worst 10 globally of all time.
I guess it's all relative.

Lop to GON
Solbakken to Saunders
Jackett to Zenga

Considering how ****ing awful Saunders was then that has to be the biggest drop, despite Solbakken's obvious flaws, but you can make a case for Lop to GON being second.

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Lop to GON
Solbakken to Saunders
Jackett to Zenga

Considering how ****ing awful Saunders was then that has to be the biggest drop, despite Solbakken's obvious flaws, but you can make a case for Lop to GON being second.
I still think Solbakken wasn't a bad pick all things considered. It was just completely the wrong time and the wrong situation to bring him in to. Following Jackett when we were pretty stable in the top half of the Championship he would have been much better choice.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score

Lop to GON
Solbakken to Saunders
Jackett to Zenga

Yes, it might be the biggest downgrade, I'd have to give it time and a lot more thought to judge that one! Hopefully win tomorrow and the believers are out in force.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can’t see his tweets as he blocked me for questioning why Jonny Philips take on FFP was different to his when they both write for the same paper.

On Hodge keen wrote this morning ‘the midfielder has trained during the international break and could make his Wolves debut against Liverpool tomorrow’ so if he is still out is this the same injury or a different injury.

Seems a little concerning to hear the manager was subdued as reporters have generally talked about his upbeat style.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Can’t see his tweets as he blocked me for questioning why Jonny Philips take on FFP was different to his when they both write for the same paper.

On Hodge keen wrote this morning ‘the midfielder has trained during the international break and could make his Wolves debut against Liverpool tomorrow’ so if he is still out is this the same injury or a different injury.

Seems a little concerning to hear the manager was subdued as reporters have generally talked about his upbeat style.
They said he’d be out for about 4 weeks after Blackpool so that’s a bit confusing

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Target achieved but so successful that they sacked him and seemingly most Bournemouth fans weren't too unhappy about it

Bit similar to when Lage had us challenging the top six on the back of Sa being superhuman for half a season, Solskjaer finishing 2nd with Man U despite being woefully out of his depth, Roberto Di Matteo winning the CL. It was job done, but nothing that made anyone think those head coaches were going to be any good

O'Neil didn't instil a footballing philosophy at Bournemouth that makes anyone think he'll be a success. Could have been a similar situation to us with Lopetegui where it was a case of needs must, but they were bottom of most of the metrics - if not all - which points to a certain amount of fortune surviving (look at their win at our place as an example), and nobody can say what Gary O'Neil's preferred style of play is because we haven't seen it

Calling him a success as a manager based on his managerial career so far is something of a reach
To be fair, calling him a failure based on his career so far is just as much of a reach (not suggesting you are suggesting that though some are).

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Lop to GON
Solbakken to Saunders
Jackett to Zenga

Not while Lopetegui holds the record for our worst ever premier league defeat.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair, calling him a failure based on his career so far is just as much of a reach (not suggesting you are suggesting that though some are).
Yeah he's totally unproven, just a stint at a club where he was already part of the furniture for us to make a judgement on. I'm just waiting to see signs that he's the right man, the apparent regression in the opening fixtures doesn't fill me with confidence, nor does his level of involvement in training as if he's still one of the players, but if we try to land a few blows on Liverpool tomorrow when we get the chance then that'll be a positive sign

Truth is we're all pretty much in the dark about him and what he can do, but virtually every one of us would have wanted someone more proven to have taken over

Norway Wolves

Reaction score

Lop to GON
Solbakken to Saunders
Jackett to Zenga

Mick to TC was a significant drop off.

Players just gave up.

Most in interviews afterwards have said what a good coach TC was - but they really did stop giving 100% on the field, was terrible to watch.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah he's totally unproven, just a stint at a club where he was already part of the furniture for us to make a judgement on. I'm just waiting to see signs that he's the right man, the apparent regression in the opening fixtures doesn't fill me with confidence, nor does his level of involvement in training as if he's still one of the players, but if we try to land a few blows on Liverpool tomorrow when we get the chance then that'll be a positive sign
I think i was in the club of one of wanting him to be manager.
As far as performances go though, what were you expecting? Manager number one walks out because he fears what staying would do to his reputation. We lose our most talented player, first due to a ban
There have been 3 away games, and one at home to a form team who tanked us 6 last time we played them.
It has been 4 weeks, he hasn't had any chance to bring in any of the new signings. We will probably lose tomorrow, we usually do against Liverpool but when we do you know it will be his tactics getting the blame.
Even if we do win he'll get criticisms about style, when we all know we should be sitting deep against Liverpool.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think i was in the club of one of wanting him to be manager.
As far as performances go though, what were you expecting? Manager number one walks out because he fears what staying would do to his reputation. We lose our most talented player, first due to a ban
There have been 3 away games, and one at home to a form team who tanked us 6 last time we played them.
It has been 4 weeks, he hasn't had any chance to bring in any of the new signings. We will probably lose tomorrow, we usually do against Liverpool but when we do you know it will be his tactics getting the blame.
Even if we do win he'll get criticisms about style, when we all know we should be sitting deep against Liverpool.
Setting up like we did under Lage where we sat back hoping they didn't score is totally different to sitting back and being ready to spring on them in numbers

On what basis did you want him to be manager?

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Setting up like we did under Lage where we sat back hoping they didn't score is totally different to sitting back and being ready to spring on them in numbers

On what basis did you want him to be manager?
I think he did well with a team that by right should have finished bottom, and bottom by some way. In terms of quality i don't think there was any squad worse in the league and I would like to see how he does with better players.
Much has been
When Bournemouth beat us the goal they scored was the most incisive bit of play in the whole match. We shouldn't have really let it get to that, 1 goal shouldn't beat us, that loss for me was on Lopetegui for having Moutinho playing as the number ten rather than a more attacking option either their or further forward.
To my eye the results have been largely fair so far, but it isn't an easy run of games. I do think we will score a fair few this season. We do look a little bit more incisive so far. The worry is how easily carved open we have been at times. That isn't a new thing.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Just watched the PC on the OS. He wasn't subdued imo. He was GON; he comes over as a nice guy but certainly lacks personality and buzz. Where Nuno was all smiles and full of fizz, GON is a completely different character, quiet and will never be outwardly upbeat. I tend to like the guy but feel he lacks the dynamism and passion he will need to keep us away from the bottom. I'm sure he puts the hours in and I bet the players like him too but we're a big club and imo we need to be led by a bigger personality than GON.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Truth is we're all pretty much in the dark about him and what he can do, but virtually every one of us would have wanted someone more proven to have taken over
Fair enough though I am a little more optimistic than this. Every coach starts somewhere, even SAF was poor in his first few games. Lots of room for GON and us to flourish, which is what I hope for.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair enough though I am a little more optimistic than this. Every coach starts somewhere, even SAF was poor in his first few games. Lots of room for GON and us to flourish, which is what I hope for.
SAF almost got sacked at Utd. I think it was a cup win that saved him, it was that close.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
SAF almost got sacked at Utd. I think it was a cup win that saved him, it was that close.
Mark Robins scored a late equaliser in the cup run where they beat Palace in a replay in the final. 1990 I think. But he had a track record with Aberdeen.

A more ‘relevant’ example would be Howard Kendall at Everton. Think he’d been a player manager at Blackburn before he went to Everton and he was staring down the barrel of the sack before Adrian Heath grabbed a late winner or equaliser in a cup game in 1984 and they went on to win the cup that season and won the league and Cup Winners Cup the following season. Before that they’d been going nowhere and we’re struggling.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Only dipped in and out of this rather than watching the whole thing.
GON needs a personal coach.
Looking at the questioner when listening and looking away when answering might be caused by a number of different factors, but may well be perceived as a lack of confidence.
In any event, it really isn't a good look.

HICKO

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looking at the questioner when listening and looking away when answering might be caused by a number of different factors, but may well be perceived as a lack of confidence.
So you dipped in and dipped out of the vid and came to a conclusion ?

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So you dipped in and dipped out of the vid and came to a conclusion ?
Bit of a bizarre conspiracy

He talked mostly about himself and previous experience and how Trent isn’t playing that is a headache for him. Instead of worrying about the opposition. Focus on ourselves

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't like when managers start spouting vague nonsense like 'changing the mentality' and the 'culture'. What does that mean?

We're in the most successful period of our modern era. Many of these players kept us up last season from a position where they were bottom and it was based on winning 1-0 at home, and often getting results they shouldn't.

Yes we had two unacceptable displays against Brighton and Arsenal, and they were abysmal, but, on the whole, you couldn't question the players or the manager.

BrierleyHillWolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Jesus ?.are you serious??

I'm not even a Gon fan but your talking ****e

Let's get bielsa and talk through a translator,.will that make you feel better

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If it is a lack of confidence I don't really care, he's new to the role.
Nuno looked like he had bodies buried under his patio in most interviews.

so-called fan

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Here's another manager who clearly lacks confidence. Touching his face as well. He's a right mess this bloke. No way will he be successful. Not a good look at all.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bellegarde good game tomorrow and we can sell him in Jan for £30 million.

Shi's got to get the profits up

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Beat me to it!.....
I have a feeling that record could be broken this season.

As for body language and not looking at people when answering... Postecoglu is a classic example of never looking at the interviewer when answering, hasn't harmed his career.

Back
Top Bottom