Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Garth Crooks At It Again

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Two of our players in his team of the week, Dawson & Neves. Forgetting for a moment that Lamina was MOTM his comments on Neves are hilarious:-

"This was another excellent performance from Neves against a Liverpool side that seemed to be lacking in every department. What on earth has happened to Joe Gomez, Thiago and Naby Keita? Trent Alexander-Arnold and Andy Robertson's recent lack of form is also most worrying, while forwards Darwin Nunez and Mo Salah hardly had a kick. I'm beginning to think Nunez is suffering from stage fright. Clubs don't come much bigger than Liverpool and the pressure can be enormous. Nunez is really struggling in front of goal."

What a complete and utter tool.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Two of our players in his team of the week, Dawson & Neves. Forgetting for a moment that Lamina was MOTM his comments on Neves are hilarious:-

"This was another excellent performance from Neves against a Liverpool side that seemed to be lacking in every department. What on earth has happened to Joe Gomez, Thiago and Naby Keita? Trent Alexander-Arnold and Andy Robertson's recent lack of form is also most worrying, while forwards Darwin Nunez and Mo Salah hardly had a kick. I'm beginning to think Nunez is suffering from stage fright. Clubs don't come much bigger than Liverpool and the pressure can be enormous. Nunez is really struggling in front of goal."

Just 7 words about our Ruben in a paragraph hundreds of words long, supposedly about players of the week!

Crooks doesn’t help himself does he. He’s speaks rubbish and writes tripe!

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The funny thing is the way he uses it to make as many points about Liverpool as possible. You can imagine him rushing to get it all in in one breath.

It reminds me of when you are at work, talking about someone else's football team, but only because you want to get onto talking about your own team.

ewarwoowar

Reaction score
i have said before if he had a brain cell he would be a plant,also you could write what he knows about football on the back of a stamp and in big letters!!

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
This is the thing, it's just lazy really. He's not really writing about individuals in a team of the week, he's just waffling about the league. He wants to write about City and Liverpool, but they don't get any players in as they were both rubbish. Look at his in depth analysis of Emerson Royal...

Emerson Royal (Tottenham)

Not my favourite player, but I must say the way in which Royal dealt with Jack Grealish, Manchester City's best player against Spurs, was very impressive. I have no idea what is going on at Manchester City, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the premature departure of Joao Cancelo, to Bayern Munich on loan, has not gone down well with some of the players. Kevin de Bruyne's relegation to substitute and the look of total dissatisfaction on the face of Erling Haaland throughout the game against Tottenham are tell-tale signs that all is not well. Something is desperately wrong at City and Pep Guardiola is at the heart of it.

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I wonder, does he write any of it, or does he waffle on to a scribe to turn the waffle into words for use in any article regardless of how inappropriate?

ewarwoowar

Reaction score
he really does need to pull his trousers up and give his mouth a chance

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He is a complete and utter fool. Another who is only bothered about the so called chosen teams.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is the thing, it's just lazy really. He's not really writing about individuals in a team of the week, he's just waffling about the league. He wants to write about City and Liverpool, but they don't get any players in as they were both rubbish. Look at his in depth analysis of Emerson Royal...

Not my favourite player, but I must say the way in which Royal dealt with Jack Grealish, Manchester City's best player against Spurs, was very impressive. I have no idea what is going on at Manchester City, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the premature departure of Joao Cancelo, to Bayern Munich on loan, has not gone down well with some of the players. Kevin de Bruyne's relegation to substitute and the look of total dissatisfaction on the face of Erling Haaland throughout the game against Tottenham are tell-tale signs that all is not well. Something is desperately wrong at City and Pep Guardiola is at the heart of it.
At least he's consistent.

The inclusion of players just gives him the excuse to spout whatever thought he had in the last picosecond.

I think everyone knows it's a bit of a sham and just goes along with it now. No one really takes it seriously.

Super NES

Groupie
Reaction score

So true - does it so often its almost more interesting to see how he gets from player A to end up with a summary of the opposition!

O.W.E.I

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the 90s, I worked on a BBC Local Radio sports show on Saturdays & GC was one of the reporters (we had 13 teams on our patch). When it was time for him to phone his match report in pretty much the entire team would try and go to the bog/on a fag break/make a cuppa at the same time. God, it was excruciating listening to him drone on. He was usually only supposed to do a 40 second piece, but you could feel your will to live draining away...

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At least he's consistent.

The inclusion of players just gives him the excuse to spout whatever thought he had in the last picosecond.

I think everyone knows it's a bit of a sham and just goes along with it now. No one really takes it seriously.
No, but if you've got a TV licence then you're helping to pay his salary.

Wolvesfcneil

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I actually met Garth Crooks along with Lee Chapman and Adrian heath in Torremolinos back in the 80s

Chapman and Heath were really chatty but Crooks was very quiet with a bit of a long face and he was like that both times they came to my dads bar.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I find Garth's choice of Neves over Lemina interesting as most would have Lemina as their Motm on Saturday.

One of the reasons I don't think the national media has picked up on that (and picked out Neves instead) is that many other teams have an althletic, aggressive, ball winning and playing midfielder so those journalists see that as normal. For Wolves fans who watch every minute of every game, it is anything but normal- we haven't seen it for years so his performance at the base of midfield stands out a mile for us.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

19 words on Ruben Neves's performance. 68 on Liverpool.

Maybe he needs to start doing a **** team of the week so he can let it all out.

Edit: I was fooled into counting the whole first sentence! It is actually only 7 words...to 80 on liverpool

Saltyjim

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I find Garth's choice of Neves over Lemina interesting as most would have Lemina as their Motm on Saturday.

One of the reasons I don't think the national media has picked up on that (and picked out Neves instead) is that many other teams have an althletic, aggressive, ball winning and playing midfielder so those journalists see that as normal. For Wolves fans who watch every minute of every game, it is anything but normal- we haven't seen it for years so his performance at the base of midfield stands out a mile for us.
Picked Ruben simply because he scored. I do give his team of the week a cursory glance for comedic value and invariably the defenders he picks are ones who’ve scored.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Crooks is a fool of the highest order, but he's just part of the same condescending media apparatus. MOTD is no better. I watched for the first time in months and quickly remembered why I don't. They wasted no more than three words on Wolves, then 10 minutes of what went wrong for Liverpool. I get it, they're a big club and their slump in form is eye catching to the neutral, but I was hoping at least from some brief analysis of our tactics: how we pressed them high to force errors and played on the front foot from the first whistle, or how we set up deeper after half time that allowed for quick counter attacks from which the third goal arose.

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Crooks is a fool of the highest order, but he's just part of the same condescending media apparatus. MOTD is no better. I watched for the first time in months and quickly remembered why I don't. They wasted no more than three words on Wolves, then 10 minutes of what went wrong for Liverpool. I get it, they're a big club and their slump in form is eye catching to the neutral, but I was hoping at least from some brief analysis of our tactics: how we pressed them high to force errors and played on the front foot from the first whistle, or how we set up deeper after half time that allowed for quick counter attacks from which the third goal arose.

Yep. But these people are football pundits.

The brain cell is a lonely organism

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tbf both Lineker and Shearer said we played very well and Shearer said we should have had 5 at HT as well as analysing our chances
I know we get aggrieved with their lack of praise recently but we havent had much to analyse before Saturday tbh
When we came up and for the first 2 seasons back we were their darlings and had more praise than anyone else on there week after week
We fell off a cliff and had precious few games since then to get anyone excited about us,but overall they give us good press most times and havent been as harsh on us as some on here over the last couple of seasons
You cant blame them for doing more on Liverpools demise than our resurgence,one was expected one wasnt

DJLWolf

Reaction score
A friend and I were talking about this earlier.

To be honest, I don't blame Garth.The bloke hasn't got a lot between the ears - we know that.He clearly puts pen to paper and just writes down the first thing that enters his head and doesn't in any way analyse what he's producing.

However, in what world does an editor at the BBC not proof read what he delivers and say, 'Garth, you've chosen Neves here, but you've dedicated about 3% of your written description to him and then you just go off on one about Liverpool for the whole piece. I'm afraid that's not the point of what we're asking you to do here.'

I find it absolutely astonishing.

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

I think it's simpler than that.

Score a goal, good chance you'll be in team if the week. Its that basic

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

To be honest, I don't blame Garth.The bloke hasn't got a lot between the ears - we know that.He clearly puts pen to paper and just writes down the first thing that enters his head and doesn't in any way analyse what he's producing.

However, in what world does an editor at the BBC not proof read what he delivers and say, 'Garth, you've chosen Neves here, but you've dedicated about 3% of your written description to him and then you just go off on one about Liverpool for the whole piece. I'm afraid that's not the point of what we're asking you to do here.'

Staggering isn't it. I get dumbing down the analysis to appeal to the non-hardcore. Most msm do that to an extent. But this is just random nonsense.

It's like when you click a headline r and they've linked it to the wrong story. Someone's dropped a ******* and it gets fixed pretty quickly. Except this doesn’t

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I doubt Garth even writes it. Just outs his name to it. A lot of the BBC expert columns are just journalists writing and then the famous name reads it and says “yep sounds like something I’d say, stick my picture at the top”.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I doubt a BBC editor reads a single word of what the idiot writes.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Garth is a legend!! The BBC know his team of the week is a running joke, in fact I think Garth is the only person who takes it seriously.

I’d go as far as saying that his team is a national institution and isn’t celebrated enough.

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I doubt Garth even writes it. Just outs his name to it. A lot of the BBC expert columns are just journalists writing and then the famous name reads it and says “yep sounds like something I’d say, stick my picture at the top”.

Naa. I really believe that this baffoon really writes this.
He’s as thick as a whale omelette

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Having sat at the next table in the St Stephen's Tavern Westminster (directly opposite what is colloquially called Big Ben) and overheard a conversation between Crooks and Paul Elliott (both of who apparently had previously been doing something in Parliament) about politics and racism l have to say that you couldn't be more wrong. Crooks in that setting was actually a very, very, sharp cookie albeit that l didn't particularly like his politics. I wonder if the amiable buffoon is a BoZo-style act....

Last edited:

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Having sat at the next table in the St Stephen's Tavern Westminster (directly opposite what is colloquially called Big Ben) and overheard a conversation between Crooks and Paul Elliott (both of who apparently had previously been doing something in Parliament) about politics and racism l have to say that you couldn't be more wrong. Crooks in that setting was actually a very, very, sharp cookie albeit that l didn't particularly like his politics. I wonder if the amiable buffon is a BoZo-style act....
Great keeper

xbomber

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

An editor is going to do that to a staff writer or a no-name columnist but is unlikely to when it's a named ex pro or borderline celebrity. Why? Because when their mugshot and name are on it so people know it is their 'voice' and it is expected to meander off topic and be more freeform.

Now is Garth a good choice if he's not really able to choose a logical team for this column and is unable to provide rationale or meaningful commentary? Now that's a different question.

Lisas Husband

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's Garth Crooks. Is anyone shocked by the 'knowledge' of this utter clot of a so called football pundit?

Lisas Husband

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd wager good money that the other Garth knows as much about football as this idiot.

Bondi Wolf

Reaction score
I sent feedback to the BBC about this. They needed to be alerted to the dross that is published under the good name of the BBC.

JimB

Groupie
Reaction score
Crooks is an absolute 3 card trick. As soon as he starts talking I stop listening.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't we change the thread title to

Garth Crooks (Brain Dead) At it Again.

It just doesn't read right the way it is

Reactions: Ned
Back
Top Bottom