Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Game on, top 6, top 4 can we ?

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure where this sudden thinking that we are in top 4 race has come from. The gap is wider than you think. You just cant ask 11 players to keep going to the well for 38 games a season and get them to perform week in week out. The bigger clubs have bigger squads and the drop off in talent is minimal which means they can rest and rotate and keep players fresh. Its why West Ham are having a big dip now and its why they are the team we are battling with because they are in a similar boat with squad depth.
Since 2015 only 4 teams of the non "big 6" have finished in the top 6 (Leicester X2, West Ham and Southampton). Only once since 2005 (as far back as i could be bothered) has a team finished in the top 4 (Leicester title winners) and we all know how unpredictable that was.
The bigger wage structure, bigger squads, top 4 experience all available to these clubs shows through over the course of a season. The season is long enough that the peaks and troughs in form return to equilibrium by the end and why the top table is always set.
Been a herculean effort by the coach and players and 7th would be an amazing finish and i believe not beyond the realms of possible, but top 4 is beyond us. We lose tomorrow and its all over, if it even started. My main question for the graphic of why not include Wolves in top 4 race, is even though they are 5th, why include West Ham? Would be absolutely amazed if Arsenal or Man Utd didnt finish 4th.
Anyone heard of the phase 'one game at a time'?

Andy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
people are literally saying we are favourites for 4th
Well, those people are wrong, I've not noticed that, which people?

The vast majority just see we're in with a shout, we don't really need an arbiter of reason.

Edit:- arrogant arbiter of reason, waiting the see the team fail so he can receive the appologies he thinks he is due.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Well, those people are wrong, I've not noticed that, which people?

The vast majority just see we're in with a shout, we don't really need an arbiter of reason.

Edit:- arrogant arbiter of reason, waiting the see the team fail so he can receive the appologies he thinks he is due.
Wouldnt say 7th is a failure pal. If i think we were gonna finish 12th and finish 7th that is a success in my eyes no? Just posted a long post to back up my thoughts rather than just saying "we aint finishing top 4". maybe thats why people are annoyed at it. Also dont do this for apologies or thanks or anything in particular or any of that nonsense. Just looking for debate with fellow wolves fans and posting my thoughts and try to back it up as much as possible. Have got things wrong in the past and will continue to do so in the future.

D

Deleted member (smith)

[
Not sure where this sudden thinking that we are in top 4 race has come from. The gap is wider than you think. You just cant ask 11 players to keep going to the well for 38 games a season and get them to perform week in week out. The bigger clubs have bigger squads and the drop off in talent is minimal which means they can rest and rotate and keep players fresh. Its why West Ham are having a big dip now and its why they are the team we are battling with because they are in a similar boat with squad depth.
Since 2015 only 4 teams of the non "big 6" have finished in the top 6 (Leicester X2, West Ham and Southampton). Only once since 2005 (as far back as i could be bothered) has a team finished in the top 4 (Leicester title winners) and we all know how unpredictable that was.
The bigger wage structure, bigger squads, top 4 experience all available to these clubs shows through over the course of a season. The season is long enough that the peaks and troughs in form return to equilibrium by the end and why the top table is always set.
Been a herculean effort by the coach and players and 7th would be an amazing finish and i believe not beyond the realms of possible, but top 4 is beyond us. We lose tomorrow and its all over, if it even started. My main question for the graphic of why not include Wolves in top 4 race, is even though they are 5th, why include West Ham? Would be absolutely amazed if Arsenal or Man Utd didnt finish 4th.

This is a good analysis and the reasons why the big six are the big six should be common knowledge. A simple look at their revenues and wage bill show the huge difference between them and the rest. And that’s the key reason that nobody can challenge since man city and Chelsea broke in using owners funds before FFP.

The challenge is enormous and Wolves are unlikely to be able to overtake all of west ham, arsenal. Manu and spurs to get fourth.
‘But wolves are getting better and one or two of those contenders may stutter. We look very likely to exceed all expectations and finish in the top eight. It is possible we could overtake two ( Wham certainly looking dodgy ) and finish 6th. That would be a huge accomplishment.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wouldnt say 7th is a failure pal. If i think we were gonna finish 12th and finish 7th that is a success in my eyes no? Just posted a long post to back up my thoughts rather than just saying "we aint finishing top 4". maybe thats why people are annoyed at it. Also dont do this for apologies or thanks or anything in particular or any of that nonsense. Just looking for debate with fellow wolves fans and posting my thoughts and try to back it up as much as possible. Have got things wrong in the past and will continue to do so in the future.
If you can't see the problem, I'm sorry for you.
Most on here have said it's not likely or only a possibility, and have received no push back, but you come across as a know it all.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If you can't see the problem, I'm sorry for you.
Most on here have said it's not likely or only a possibility, and have received no push back, but you come across as a know it all.
Sorry you feel that way but i just try and back up why i feel that way with the reasons why and stats to back up, rather than posting baseless statements like 'Wolves will win the league' or 'Wolves will be relegated'. I just try to add a bit more depth to what im saying.

Reaction score
Look at our away form this season . It really is impressive , with Palace being the only match where you could say we were well off . City away was a dodgy penalty .
We have had some fine performances away from home this season - a fair few impressive wins in there as well .
It's the reason we are where we are . Compare it to our home form which is far from good .
Two away games coming up - we'll be up for it anyway , that seems to be guaranteed .

If our away form is to dip , I'd like to think that we could correct our home form to compensate .

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry you feel that way but i just try and back up why i feel that way with the reasons why and stats to back up, rather than posting baseless statements like 'Wolves will win the league' or 'Wolves will be relegated'. I just try to add a bit more depth to what im saying.
Had you said "highly unlikely" or similar (or indeed "l think that we aren't finishing fourth") the statement would have been accurate and no one would have had an issue. Your categoric statement, given that there is an admittedly slim chance that we can and will finish fourth, was just factually incorrect. For the record four years of statistics lectures up to masters level informs that statement....

Last edited:

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Had you said "highly unlikely" or similar (or indeed "l think that we aren't finishing fourth") the statement would have been accurate and no one would have had an issue. Your categoric statement, given that there is an admittedly slim chance that we can and will finish fourth, was just factually incorrect. For the record four years of statistics lectures up to masters level informs that statement....
That was my point also, plus his 'know it all' attitude was ultra annoying.
Reminded me of another 'oli' twerp we had on here once.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To quote a wonderful man:

"We can think about other things ... But dreaming is for free"

Dreaming is for free... because it's worthless? :eek: Yes, somebody will say that "Every title/gold medal started with a dream", to which I'd reply (being a realist/cynic delete as applicable) "99.9999% of dreams end in nothing. Other than those strange dreams where I'm naked in the town centre or back in school having to resit my exams, despite being over 60. Not forgetting the purple flying fishes wandering by singing Bohemian Rhapsody. ". Still, those dreams were all free. :D

D

Deleted member drgr12429

We are 100% in the conversation for the race for 4th. That doesn't mean we will actually do it, but as Wolves fans you have to be happy with, and embrace the fact that we are actually in that conversation?
I know every team in the PL would like to be in that conversation.
We are not in a bad place at all. I can't believe people are arguing differently..

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm normally the first to have a go at the moaners but I honestly felt ollie's post was alright! We're in the race but some fans do feel like they're being a little over excited given that every time we lose it turns into doom and moans about fosun.

I took it as ollie just having a realistic take.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are 100% in the conversation for the race for 4th. That doesn't mean we will actually do it, but as Wolves fans you have to be happy with, and embrace the fact that we are actually in that conversation?
I know every team in the PL would like to be in that conversation.
I don't think Man City would...;)

Me Babbies

Reaction score
Lets just a draw a line under it and say that theres a massive custard pie coming someones way if we do get in the top 4 lol.
Onwards to thursday.
Oh man moli mix pieing in the fan zone last game of the season.
Surly this can be arranged :tonguewink::tonguewink:

Ernie the Wolf

Reaction score
Looking forward to the waves of apologies i will get when we finish outside the top 4. Sorry for being realistic and 99.9% likely to be correct.
Are you a Wolves supporter? Glad many of us are not this negative (dressed up as realistic)!

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do I think we’ll finish top 4, No I don’t. Would I say we have absolutely no chance of doing it? No I wouldn’t say that. It’ll take some incredible form and some luck along the way, however that’s surely the best thing about sport, there’s rarely absolute guarantees. I’m sure Leicester fans didn’t think they’d win the league, no one thought Douglas would beat Tyson, the list goes on. The time to guarantee we won’t make top 4 is when there’s one game to play and we’re 4 or more points off it. There’s a hell of a lot of games still to go.

Back
Top Bottom