Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Funny things you’ve seen/heard watching the wolves

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My favourite one is still from my Dad. He was mates with Paul Darby and he was talking to Paul and Graham Turner about Bully just after he signed for us and he told them he wasnt going to do well for us because he missed too many chances and was too raw. GT just said to him "Well you wouldnt like to play against him! "

dewolfman

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I joined Colchester membership scheme when we were banned in ‘87. You could take 3 guests in as a member, loads had done the same so quite a few wolves behind one goal.

Frank Carson of all people was doing the half time raffle draw. Every number he pulled we all cheered and he bought into it, he pulled a number, we cheered and in his unique accent said ‘ And another winner from Wokvrhampton’

We won the game as well, great times really.

As an aside, my home address got mail from Colchester for years after as I’d been a member for a year - every time it came brought back memories of a superb day out.
Why were wolves fans banned?

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remember the North Bank singing to "Stanley Bowles" (QPR), "where's your wife gone, where's your wife gone, where's your wife gone Stanley Bowles" (the story was that she'd ran off with someone else).

Bowles raised his right hand towards the NB and gave a two fingered salute which was met with good humoured applause.

Such was his response and in acknowledgment to his recation, we laid off giving him any more stick after that.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remember the North Bank singing to "Stanley Bowles" (QPR), "where's your wife gone, where's your wife gone, where's your wife gone Stanley Bowles" (the story was that she'd ran off with someone else).

Bowles raised his right hand towards the NB and gave a two fingered salute which was met with good humoured applause.

Such was his response and in acknowledgment to his recation, we laid off giving him any more stick after that.
Remember that a night game funny as
Where’s your wife gone
Where’s your wife gone
Where’s your wife gone Stanley Bowles
With the milkman
With the milkman
With the milkman Stanley Bowles

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"Two men and a baseball bat went to war with keegan"

Midweek match with Newcastle shortly after keegan had a beating

wyrley wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Some quotes from guy behind me at Preston EFL cup game last month:

“Collins just a big lump - we need someone decent on the ball - just another Paul Butler”

“Nunes reminds me of Dendoncker - plays like him!!!!”

“We are in trouble now Troy Parrott is coming on - hes fantastic - we are in big trouble!!”

Beastier

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There have alsway been a few characters in the crowd round the Mol, can remember one back in the 80s who used to have red and yellow cards with him and would hold them up when opposition players made fould he thought should be bookings
I remember him and recall a reserve game when after his barracking several players a fellow Wolves fan got very angry with him and started remonstrating to the point where it had potential to kick-off between them.....he then difused the situation by showing a yellow to the angry supporter who also then saw the funny side

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Away at Burnley (i think) got given some corporate tickets from my agent pal. Andy Sinton was injured and sat in front of me with his mate. Can’t for the life of me think who was playing on the wing but they had an absolute stinker. Guy next to me was berating him for a good half hour “sinton you’re useless, Sinton you’re ****” at half time he turned round and said “mate I know you don’t rate me but I can’t do a lot from up here”. Fella looked very sheepish and went to the toilet never to return

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Away at Burnley (i think) got given some corporate tickets from my agent pal. Andy Sinton was injured and sat in front of me with his mate. Can’t for the life of me think who was playing on the wing but they had an absolute stinker. Guy next to me was berating him for a good half hour “sinton you’re useless, Sinton you’re ****” at half time he turned round and said “mate I know you don’t rate me but I can’t do a lot from up here”. Fella looked very sheepish and went to the toilet never to return
Really did lol.

Yamalroite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
During Mick Macs reign I watched a well dressed posh older gent approach a steward demanding to speak to Jez Moxey and explain to him and other fans why the team are performing so badly and asking for a refund.

Was funny but also fair point I thought at the time

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

“Collins just a big lump - we need someone decent on the ball - just another Paul Butler”

“We are in trouble now Troy Parrott is coming on - hes fantastic - we are in big trouble!!”
Similar to the bloke that sits by me - Nunes is a lazy *******.

westy

Reaction score
1. Eric Young's first touch in a Wolves shirt. Utterly comical.
2. Fat Jack at Wigan FA Cup game
3. Kevin Francis penalty ... still amuses me all these years later
4. Away games in Div 4 and the amazement on the locals faces that the Right Side could keep the chant going for a complete half+
5. Keelan - Norwich breaking the goal post
6. Dougan missing a completely open goal v Newcastle when Hibbitt got 4 and falling over like Bambi
7. Roger Hansbury. Nuff said.
8. Mick Kearns.
9. Geoff Zico Plamer tackling Dave Thomas and launching him into the doors on Waterloo Rd side where players used to run out
10. My grandad banging his walking stick and getting the Mol . St stand going...
11. David Needham
12. Budgie

If I thought about it, I'd probably come up with many more from Div 3 & 4... great days and wouldn't have missed them for the world. "Bully's gonna get you" ... and he virtually always did... partic. against Port Vale (Futcher).... :)
On a similar theme to number 9...Dave Woodfield launching Mike Summerbee into the wooden seats at the front of the Molineux St stand. I will never forget to sound of bone on wood as he landed! He was sent off but fair play to Summerbee, he went to the hearing and said it was a fair shoulder charge and the red was cancelled. Not sure of the year.. mid to late 60's.

westy

Reaction score
Second hand memory. My Dad referred regularly to a bloke who he said was "saft in the head" from many years ago. The police let him on the pitch about 15 minutes before the kick off so he could dribble his cap round the penalty area and then kick it in the net (are you taking notes Wolves strikers?)
Dickie Westwood???

Death Owl

Reaction score
Away game at Notts County and it had been tipping it down. For some reason me and my mate went in their end . My mate went to get a programme and tried to put on is best Notts accent. The programme seller seller said , ' Is it raining in Wolverhampton as well '

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This thread has cheered me up no end.

Great stuff
yeah agree, a great thread, and not the doom and gloom, also many go back to the days we have now moved on from thank God,
Although many happy memories,

hankin

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Oh gawd, that reminds me of Paul Stancliffe…..
For the famous Stancliffe own goal, I was sat in the John Ireland with my mate who is a Barnsley fan. To this day he regrets not going in with the other away fans so that he could celebrate properly. It was funny though due to the cheer incompetence.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"Sing when you're punting" sung by the SB to the Cambridge United away following.

Can't remember the year, but thought at the time 10/10 for originality. :)
Similar at Blackburn just after they'd been taken over by the chicken lot "yousing when your skinning."

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

That epitomises why I very rarely go to cup games. My seat in the south bank has pretty much had the same folk round me for 15 years but no one seems to do the cup games and I end up with an absolute clown next to me if I do go who invariably shouts stuff like that.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Only slightly wolves related but in my late teens I was pretty much football mad and at a last minute got offered a free ticket for Reading V Albion at the old Elm Park (as a poor student anything free sounded great).

The half time entertainment was a penalty shoot out from the two teams u16’s. It got to 5-5 and the Albion kid scored to win it, ran off towards the knuckle dragged fans celebrating and pulled his shirt up to have a wolves shirt on underneath and kissed the badge in front of them. Watching a load of blokes nearly 50 trying to get at the lad was quite funny.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
West Ham away at Upton Park, October 2004

My Wolves mate shouts towards their sub who's about to come on, "you can bring him on, he's ****e"
So on he comes, and bang "one nil" which turned out to be the winner.

And the player......Teddy Sheringham
Similar time period we played Chelsea away and Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink was warming up in front of us. Bloke in front was giving him absolute pelters and threw a burger at him, JFH picked it up and took a bite and gave a “thumbs up” gesture. Then came on and scored a 15 minute hat trick

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Half Time in the Cuckoo Lane End, Oxford and its absolutely slating it down on the open away end.

Cue a Wolves rendition of "singing in the rain"
Priceless and very funny even though everyone was **** wet through at the time. :)

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Crazy things that make you laugh when nothings happening on the field of play.

Like the guy on the SB who arrived late clutching his "Mr Tikka" with both hands like it was the Holy Grail.
In no time he managed to lose his footing and deposit the whole tray of delights onto the concrete floor.

Perhaps wrong to laugh at someone's misfortune but as someone who was constantly late and then spent more time at the concourse bar than on the terraces, I thought justice had been done on this occasion.

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A home game one December when the Southbank chanted "Santa Santa what's the score" to the opposition Manager/Coach who was decked out in a red tracksuit with white trims.

Could only have worked at that time of year so fair play to those who kicked the chant off which was quickly picked up by the rest on the terraces. :)
Thats was Gillingham at home in the league one season. First home game of the season. In August. In the baking sun.

Bogota Wolf

Reaction score
Wigan Athletic away in the mid 80s when we were really crap and our fans had to make their own entertainment. There's a patchy grass and concrete terrace with an old style shed with a roof literally the size of a bike shed at the top. It was ****ing down and there was so much wet grass and mud that some of our younger element started running up and down and turned one part into a slide that kept everyone entertained while they flew down it caked in mud. I cant work out if it was the 5-3 end of season embarrassment or maybe it was the away win in the Cup that somehow we won 1-3.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves 1 Albion 1 Black Country derby at the Crem, ( The Rob Hindmarch 5 mins into injury time game leveller ! ) at half time the Albion PR team decide it would be a good idea to have a young couple on the pitch and let him propose to her. 11,000 Wolves away fans giving it " You don't know what you're doing " and to the poor girl a chant of " Albion slag " meant it was perhaps not the best idea for half time entertainment, although we Wolves fan enjoyed it :D:D:D

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Wolves 1 Albion 1 Black Country derby at the Crem, ( The Rob Hindmarch 5 mins into injury time game leveller ! ) at half time the Albion PR team decide it would be a good idea to have a young couple on the pitch and let him propose to her. 11,000 Wolves away fans giving it " You don't know what you're doing " and to the poor girl a chant of " Albion slag " meant it was perhaps not the best idea for half time entertainment, although we Wolves fan enjoyed it :D:D:D
Whatever happened to half time proposals, used to be a fairly common thing but haven't seen one for years now. In fact I think the last one might have been @Dewsbury (who still posts but I've forgotten what as!)

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whatever happened to half time proposals, used to be a fairly common thing but haven't seen one for years now. In fact I think the last one might have been @Dewsbury (who still posts but I've forgotten what as!)

I think the male dominated voices serenading the couple with " You don't know what you're doing " certainly did a lot to end the practice !

Is @whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury the name you are thinking of ?

Woody

Groupie
Reaction score
Some great memories coming back reading this thread.
My own contribution goes back to the late 80s when we were in what is now League 1 and we were playing Bristol Rovers away on Boxing Day. Rovers' ground had been shut down so we were playing at non-league Bath city's ground, Twerton Park.
Around this time one of the popular sitcoms on TV was Bread, featuring the wild-haired character Freddie Boswell.
At half time the similarly wild-haired stadium announcer walked towards our end and got a very loud rendition of 'there's only one Freddie Boswell'

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At a match vs Man City when Joe Corrigan was in goal (yes, it was that long ago) when someone from the North Bank shouted out 'Joe'. Corrigan turned round and as he did so, the fan stuck two fingers up to him. Another Wolves' fan said to those around him; 'he'll tell his mates in the pub that he was chatting with Joe Corrigan later today.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I used to love the 5 minutes or so before the end of the game in the back to back title winning seasons of 1987/88 then 88/89 when West Midlands finest PC Plods would start to walk in front of the South Bank with thousands of us giving it a full on Laurel and Hardy theme tune :):):)

John Richards 1974

Reaction score
Reminds me of the time Billy Rafferty missed a sitter, bloke behind said he had enough time to sit on it, **** on it and still put it in the net :laughing:

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kind of at a Wolves game….. Summer of 2005 I went to the NIA for the Midlands Masters 6 a side tournament they used to show on Sky, Bully was playing for us.
Loads of Wolves, Albion, Villa there.
It was a few weeks after the Albion had been bottom on the last day of season at ko and still managed to stop up.
On the concourse bit at the NIA, people were going for a beer. One gobby, over weigh Albion fan was giving a bit out to Wolves fans going past, nothing too bad but still taking the mick very loudly. He was wearing a t shirt with “WBA - THE GREAT ESCAPE” on it.
A wolves fan strolled past and cracked him before walking off. Nose bost, quite a bit of blood.
As he staggered about being helped by a couple of blokes he was with someone shouted really loudly “ DIDNT ESCAPE THAT DID YA, YA ****?!”
I was in bits.

Back
Top Bottom