Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Fulham - Signing Far Too Many Players...ahem

D

Deleted member 3518

8 out of 11 new players? For me that's a massive risk! You need to replace 8 of your team if you get relegated or underachieve the year before, to get promoted though, it seems bizarre. I think we've replaced 5 from last year's regular team, which is the most you need tbf.

How many did we replace last season?

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
How many did we replace last season?

Ruddy, Boly, Bennett, Douglas, Neves, Jota, Bonatini- so 7, but we'd underperformed badly the year before, so change was needed. If you think about that Fulham team that won the play-offs, they'd have been buzzing, premier league here we come and all that, now suddenly most of them have been replaced. Haven't seen too many leave either, so they have a huge squad with lots of players who won't be anywhere near the team. I aint saying they've had a bad transfer window, but I just looked at them today, linked with 5-6 players, and it was like, that's overkill. Compare it to us, Nuno clearly identified 4 or 5 positions where he wanted a quality player to come in, and we've done it.

D

Deleted member 3518

Ruddy, Boly, Bennett, Douglas, Neves, Jota, Bonatini- so 7, but we'd underperformed badly the year before, so change was needed. If you think about that Fulham team that won the play-offs, they'd have been buzzing, premier league here we come and all that, now suddenly most of them have been replaced. Haven't seen too many leave either, so they have a huge squad with lots of players who won't be anywhere near the team. I aint saying they've had a bad transfer window, but I just looked at them today, linked with 5-6 players, and it was like, that's overkill. Compare it to us, Nuno clearly identified 4 or 5 positions where he wanted a quality player to come in, and we've done it.

Time will tell, I think if we finish above them we'll have done well.

JadeWolf

Reaction score
Time will tell, I think if we finish above them we'll have done well.

You could say that about a few teams though, Everton, West Ham, Leicester, if we finish above them I'd be well happy.

Thing is, wasn't there something the same at Fulham last year, they signed lots of players at the start of the year (including Jordan Graham!), but it turned out that Jovanovic didn't want them, and it was only when he'd sorted it all out after Christmas that they went on a run.

D

Deleted member 3518

You could say that about a few teams though, Everton, West Ham, Leicester, if we finish above them I'd be well happy.

Thing is, wasn't there something the same at Fulham last year, they signed lots of players at the start of the year (including Jordan Graham!), but it turned out that Jovanovic didn't want them, and it was only when he'd sorted it all out after Christmas that they went on a run.

Don't expect us to finish above any of the teams you mention, as posted previously think we'll do well to finish 12th or better and predict around 15th.

JadeWolf

Reaction score
Don't expect us to finish above any of the teams you mention, as posted previously think we'll do well to finish 12th or better and predict around 15th.

Which is why I'd be happy to finish above them? They're good teams? I'd take 12th, I'd like to think there's a good number of teams we can finish above, easily 8 or 9.

D

Deleted member 4184

Can see Fulham going down. People going on about Seri but I've seen him a few times last season and he won't cut it IMO. Obviously Fulham see something different but just a bold prediction.

Moseleywolf

Reaction score
Fulham have spent a lot but how many of their signings would you put in our first 11?

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d rather Moutinho than Sarri or Anguissa, I could be proved wrong but that’s my opinion

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a hell of a lot of players at one time. But on paper they have recruited very well indeed and they already had the likes of Sessegnon and Cairey on board.
The question will be how to meld all that talent together into an effective team. How long will that take?

I admire their ambition and like us they will
help shake the division up.

S

ShropshireLad

Can see Fulham going down. People going on about Seri but I've seen him a few times last season and he won't cut it IMO. Obviously Fulham see something different but just a bold prediction.
Place a bet on it you'll get good odds. :cool:

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not quite we haven't. We needed a wing back and arguably an upgrade on Bonatini. But not complaining.

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not quite we haven't. We needed a wing back and arguably an upgrade on Bonatini. But not complaining.
Would it have broken the bank to hang on to Afobe & Douglas, if only for cover (until January?) or to see how they'd perform with us in the Prem.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I said a a week or so ago, if you have to compare us to them do it once the window has closed, so with that said, this is how I see the 2 squads as of today: -

upload_2018-8-10_9-9-9.png

There may be a few things I've got wrong with Fulham's squad as I wont claim to be an expert on it so if anyone disagrees with which players will be where in the team/squad feel free to correct me.

No matter whether you think they've done better or worse than us, you can't deny that they are 2 impressive teams for newly promoted sides.

EDIT: Included Cardiff too, just for comparison... Just in case people are disappointing that we ONLY brought in £95m worth of players (made up of the £59m we actually spent not including Afobe, Jonny's £6m value based on his transfer fee to Atletico, Dendoncker's £12m fee to be paid at the end of his loan, and Patricio's £18m we were supposed to pay) thought it might give a sense of perspective as last time we went up, we were in Cardiff's position...

Last edited:
H

harold shand

I said a a week or so ago, if you have to compare us to them do it once the window has closed, so with that said, this is how I see the 2 squads as of today: -

View attachment 6926

There may be a few things I've got wrong with Fulham's squad as I wont claim to be an expert on it so if anyone disagrees with which players will be where in the team/squad feel free to correct me.

No matter whether you think they've done better or worse than us, you can't deny that they are 2 impressive teams for newly promoted sides.

As a Fulham fan I'm happy but if I was Wolves I'd be happy too.
But you never know for sure until the season starts.
Probably be christmas till we really know how players are gonna blend in.
But hope springs eternal and as it stands the future looks bright for both clubs.

NavyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Fulham have over-signed! Obviously they needed to strengthen, but yesterday was ridiculous! They now probably have a starting eleven where only 3 players, cairney, Mitrovic and Sess from the Playoff final side will actually start. They have a completely new back 5! 2 brand new keepers, one who I presume has been told he would be 1st choice signed yesterday on loan, what's the other keeper they signed earlier in the window already thinking!
They will have to bond and adapt asap, they will either sink or click but it's 50/50 which!

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Fulham have over-signed! Obviously they needed to strengthen, but yesterday was ridiculous! They now probably have a starting eleven where only 3 players, cairney, Mitrovic and Sess from the Playoff final side will actually start. They have a completely new back 5! 2 brand new keepers, one who I presume has been told he would be 1st choice signed yesterday on loan, what's the other keeper they signed earlier in the window already thinking!
They will have to bond and adapt asap, they will either sink or click but it's 50/50 which!

They've certainly made their intentions clear. Now its up to Jokanovic to get them to bed in and play as a team as quickly as possible, especially the players signed at the end of the window.

That's quite a key aspect to be fair, as other than Traore and Dendoncker our squad additions have been there a few weeks now so hopefully we should be fairly settled straight away.

W

we8wba

Has anyone else been incredibly impressed with Fulham's transfer business to date?

Jean Michael Seri
Andre Schurrle
Fabri
Maxime Le Larchand
Aleksandar Mitrovic

Also reported to have got Alfie Mawson.

With the assumption that their expansive, passing game will be better suited to the Premier League - I think they'll be fighting for top half of the table.

Sadly Fulham aren’t doing bits on the pitch

JadeWolf

Reaction score
Interesting to read this back.

D

Deleted member 3751

Their fans ain't happy, can't work out why the 'best side in the Championship last year' is struggling so much after spending £100m

JadeWolf

Reaction score
Their fans ain't happy, can't work out why the 'best side in the Championship last year' is struggling so much after spending £100m
Lol. Too many signings. Plus Cairney is missing and he’s their best player.

D

Deleted member 4152

It wasn't a strange comment lol

'A centre forward they had last season when they finished behind us'

You said that to dismiss Mitrovic. When in fact they won more points than us when Mitrovic (I presume) played for them. He effectively made them better than us.

And yes, Seri is better. Again, not a criticism of Wolves or Moutinho but Seri was one of the outstanding midfielders in the league and linked with Barcelona/Chelsea/Spurs a lot more recently than Moutinho was linked with those clubs.

I'm delighted with our business, but Fulham have got a better team than us right now IMO and deserve credit for what they've done this summer.
Shhhhhhhh

D

Deleted member 4152

Signed a decent centre half that just got relegated, (tho you would think he was ****ing maldini the way people are talking about it) A centre forward they had last season when they finished behind us (and who has struggled in the prem before), a decent midfielder

Where we have signed a top international midfielder, a top international keeper. Jota and Boly (who we had last season when we finished well above them). And serious cover for the wing back role

I seriously would not want some of you lot in the trenches with me.

People still equate spending loads of money to success

Ahemm!

S

ShropshireLad

It wasn't a strange comment lol

'A centre forward they had last season when they finished behind us'

You said that to dismiss Mitrovic. When in fact they won more points than us when Mitrovic (I presume) played for them. He effectively made them better than us.

And yes, Seri is better. Again, not a criticism of Wolves or Moutinho but Seri was one of the outstanding midfielders in the league and linked with Barcelona/Chelsea/Spurs a lot more recently than Moutinho was linked with those clubs.

I'm delighted with our business, but Fulham have got a better team than us right now IMO and deserve credit for what they've done this summer.
There's a one word answer and I'm not taking sides by butting in...and that's synergy. We have it and Fulham don't.

Man City were relegated to the third tier with some exceptionally good players but they couldn't play together well.

E

Eddie's Eagle

I'd take Cairney, Vietto, Mitrovic and Sessegnon from that Fulham team and none would be in the first eleven. Good squad players though.

Can't wait to play them.

E

E is for idiot.

**** Fulham. There's still time for things to go different, I just don't see it myself though. They spent more, we spent better.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I watched them the other week and apart from 1 or 2 players they all seemed like new faces? I believe that our strength is that 6/7 of our side are from our Championship team. Having said that I thought Fulham would make a go of it this season; I'm wrong!

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dear Ryan,

Please return your little trophy to its rightful owner.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom