Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Fraser

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With hwang out for several weeks, Cunha not available for an unspecified time and Neto having come off at ht and with a brittle fitness level will this land Fraser into the same situation as Silva found himself when Jimenez suffered his awful head injury because we hadn't got any experienced cover having to rely on a kid to fill the position with all that pressure landing on such young shoulders as looking at the squad I can't see an alternative.

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It might land him in the same situation. The bigger question is how will Fraser handle it.

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He was unlucky not to score today, held the ball up well and we looked better with him on the pitch.

He will always have the benefit of been a local lad not a 35 million pound signing ( that of course wasn't Fabios fault).

Also Chirewa seemed comfortable when he came on, they need utilising more to avoid running key players into the ground.

Give them gametime if needed and reassess loan options for both in the summer if required.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With hwang out for several weeks, Cunha not available for an unspecified time and Neto having come off at ht and with a brittle fitness level will this land Fraser into the same situation as Silva found himself when Jimenez suffered his awful head injury because we hadn't got any experienced cover having to rely on a kid to fill the position with all that pressure landing on such young shoulders as looking at the squad I can't see an alternative
Who knows?

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's simple - we don't have another no 9 available this month. I don't think he's ready yet but we need that focal point up top (as we have done for over 3 years, but that's ancient history) so I think he starts v Fulham and give him 90 minutes. Another week after that we face a really average Championship side at home; that game could be made for him. Imo we have to use him for now.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
It's simple - we don't have another no 9 available this month. I don't think he's ready yet but we need that focal point up top (as we have done for over 3 years, but that's ancient history) so I think he starts v Fulham and give him 90 minutes. Another week after that we face a really average Championship side at home; that game could be made for him. Imo we have to use him for now.
Possibly, but as you say we haven't had a 9 for a long time. We've had all sorts of players trying to play 9, but we haven't had a real one this season. However we've found solutions and Fraser might be part of that, but he's not the only option.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Possibly, but as you say we haven't had a 9 for a long time. We've had all sorts of players trying to play 9, but we haven't had a real one this season. However we've found solutions and Fraser might be part of that, but he's not the only option.

Have we found a solution outside of Hwang?

We've lost three of the five games he has missed. The one win against Chelsea was fantastic but it was also a specific type of game that may not come around again.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Have we found a solution outside of Hwang?

We've lost three of the five games he has missed. The one win against Chelsea was fantastic but it was also a specific type of game that may not come around again.
Fair question, but he hasn't played down the middle in all the games outside the Asia Cup period. We've used other players down the middle.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair question, but he hasn't played down the middle in all the games outside the Asia Cup period. We've used other players down the middle.

But how have we done?

I don't know so not point-scoring here.

To me, Cunha started the season at times centrally, but we didn't really get results and he wasn't as good.

Kalajdzic had a few games but we didn't get results.

And in the 5 games recently without Hwang recently, we're 1-1-3 which is poor.

What do you actually think will happen or we can do? It's really difficult. I have huge sympathy for O'Neil and also Fraser, because I think the lad is our only really solution for many games, and they're throwing him in at the deep end.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
But how have we done?

To me, Cunha started the season at times centrally, but we didn't really get results and he wasn't as good.

What do you actually think will happen or we can do? It's really difficult. I have huge sympathy for O'Neil and also Fraser, because I think the lad is our only really solution for many games, and they're throwing him in at the deep end.
Well I admit it's a gross simplification and I'd have to spend a lot more time on it to give a good answer, but if you go off transfermarkt

9 games as a CF we are 5-2-2
6 games as a LW we are 4-2-0 (came on v Man U A)
4 games as a RW we are 1-0-3
5 games we haven't had him 1-1-3

I think what I'd say is that he is the best down the middle when we are on the front foot and he has players around him, we do have other options there (albeit not ideal). The trouble is he isn't much good when he has to play as more of a target man and holding the ball up. We don't have that player in the squad though, except Fraser at a push.

xbomber

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Diego-Costa-Wolves-video-annoucement.jpgYou called?

Stingray II

Reaction score
Give Fraser more time. Bring him on in more games from the bench (earlier, if we're not threatening to score). There's some talent there. Sew seeds in fertile ground. This lad will grow 10 times faster playing against Premier opposition, than wherever he is playing now.

As a couple of others have pointed out on other threads; our season is done. We ain't getting relegated. We ain't getting Europe (I wish, but truly we are not). There is some money to be earned by the final position finish, but I think Wolves spend that money better by blooding and testing the promising young talent. If it doesn't work out then, so be it.

Most players debuting as teenagers will likely fail in the long run, but in rare occurrences that early exposure explodes. There is a few teenagers whose managers took a chance on playing a teen each game and they exploded - became the first name on the sheet as teenagers. Rooney, Messi, George Best. I am not saying Fraser is anywhere near that good. I'm saying, test these kids against the big boys in a safe season and see who excels.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But how have we done?

Yea it’s worrying for both the club and the player that he’s about to get thrown in to the team. This is a player we were loaning to a struggling league one side in January if we signed anybody. The kid will come good but he’s no where near PL level and won’t be for a few years yet.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The biggest issue with Fraser isn't if he's good enough (albeit that has to be questioned) or if he will fall apart mentally (but he's his own character, not every 19 year old is Fabio Silva, they all have their own character).

The biggest issue is the style of play - or put another way, what we ask him to do in the role.

He's not a player to pick the ball up and run half the length of the field. He's not a player who will burn players off running the channels with massive work rate.

He's a box striker, decent in the air, will look to get on the end of crosses, who can also play with back to goal.

So if he is used more frequently, which looks the case at the moment, then we need to adapt our style of play for the different options he provides.

If that's not done and we try and play him as a Cunha/Hwang replacement, then he is a round peg in a square hole - and that's not on the player (whatever age)

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The biggest issue with Fraser isn't if he's good enough (albeit that has to be questioned) or if he will fall apart mentally (but he's his own character, not every 19 year old is Fabio Silva, they all have their own character).

The biggest issue is the style of play.

He's not a player to pick the ball up and run half the length of the field. He's not a player who will burn players off running the channels with massive work rate.

He's a box striker, decent in the air, will look to get on the end of crosses, who can also play with back to goal.

So if he is used more frequently, which looks the case at the moment, then we need to adapt our style of play for the different options he provides.

If that's not done and we try and play him as a Cunha/Hwang replacement, then he is a round peg in a square hole - and that's not on the player (whatever age)
Totally agree.....the only way we use Fraser effectively is we drop a defender and use him as the 4th attacker.....which is what he attempted to do against Brentford the 2nd half and it didn't work cause we conceded again......it maybe the way to go , to get through the next couple of games.....and reduce the work rate for the other forwards...... basically I think Neto is hugging the touchline lately cause that's all he has in him fitness wise ..he breaks down when he has to play the full role of our forwards against Newcastle....

You right Fraser no use with the way we currently play ....the question is which one you drop Toti or Ait nouri without leaving us too exposed ..

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Totally agree.....the only way we use Fraser effectively is we drop a defender and use him as the 4th attacker.....which is what he attempted to do against Brentford the 2nd half and it didn't work cause we conceded again......it maybe the way to go , to get through the next couple of games.....and reduce the work rate for the other forwards...... basically I think Neto is hugging the touchline lately cause that's all he has in him fitness wise ..he breaks down when he has to play the full role of our forwards against Newcastle....

You right Fraser no use with the way we currently play ....the question is which one you drop Toti or Ait nouri without leaving us too exposed ..
Agree with how we use Fraser but we did concede the second because Dawson passed straight to their midfield playing out from the back.

Fraser up top on his own is a huge ask and there’s almost a duty of care (a bit dramatic description but can’t think of anything else) to play more to his strengths and not ask a completely raw kid to adapt his game completely.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think we decided to target Burns wing with Netos pace.

But Newcastle were on to that and their game plan was to cut out the supply to Neto.... which they did!

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score

The biggest issue is the style of play - or put another way, what we ask him to do in the role.

And the big issue is a team in our position can’t afford two quality players in every scenario. We can’t have two Cunha’s, two Neto’s. When they’re missing we’ll always find it tough.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree with how we use Fraser but we did concede the second because Dawson passed straight to their midfield playing out from the back.

Fraser up top on his own is a huge ask and there’s almost a duty of care (a bit dramatic description but can’t think of anything else) to play more to his strengths and not ask a completely raw kid to adapt his game completely.
It's the Fabio scenario again with Jimenez.....cam he fill that role No........fraser may have to start against Fulham as injuries may dictate that.....but to get the best out of him at the minute for Coventry for instance is dropping Toti the answer say ...get at them .....

It's asking too much to fill in for a hwang or Cunha against say Newcastle and remain effective as he simple hadn't got the attributes for counter attacking football.....that not a criticism just a reality....

Reactions: Ned

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looks like we may not have the option to not play Fraser. So what? That's what Gary is paid to do, to utilise the talent at his disposal to get the maximum benefit in terms of results. So play Fraser, and use him in a way that plays to his strengths. Gary sees him every day on the training pitch, he will know how to set up to do that.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's the Fabio scenario again with Jimenez.....cam he fill that role No........fraser may have to start against Fulham as injuries may dictate that.....but to get the best out of him at the minute for Coventry for instance is dropping Toti the answer say ...get at them .....

It's asking too much to fill in for a hwang or Cunha against say Newcastle and remain effective as he simple hadn't got the attributes for counter attacking football.....that not a criticism just a reality....
Yep, agree 100%. It’s not even just for Fraser, we’ve seen what happens to the system and performances in general when we don’t have effective players up front.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Had our first shot on target which forced a good save yesterday and people still think he is not good enough crazy. All because he’s not a fancy Portuguese name

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looks like we may not have the option to not play Fraser. So what? That's what Gary is paid to do, to utilise the talent at his disposal to get the maximum benefit in terms of results. So play Fraser, and use him in a way that plays to his strengths. Gary sees him every day on the training pitch, he will know how to set up to do that.
Agreed. What you can't do is put a square peg in a round hole then complain that it doesn't work though. If Fraser plays the style will have to be tweaked for him to have any chance.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Had our first shot on target which forced a good save yesterday and people still think he is not good enough crazy. All because he’s not a fancy Portuguese name
I’m not sure one decent shot on target automatically confirms he’s good enough. As others have said we need to play to his strengths and get ball into the box

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As others said didn't cost 35m
Think we would all be happy with a goal or two for the rest of the season as long as he works hard and gives his all
He's certainly a hard worker. It's widely reported that Nathan would return to the training ground after official training finished, to practise further on skill development.

With an attitude like that in someone so young, I'm sure he'll do us proud.

Back
Top Bottom