Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Frank Lampard’s Everton

Lycaon

Reaction score
Interesting! Another spell in the wilderness for Everton!

Big Dunc ain’t stupid after all!

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Big risk. The only time you'd say he did a good job was at a club that he's a legend at and expectations were low because he couldn't bring in any players. You could argue he was hard done by to lose his job but Chelsea were on a terrible run and couldn't defend (something Tuchel sorted out immediately). In fact none of his sides in his short career have been able to defend very well and Everton are where they are because they can't defend. If they couldn't keep goals out under Benitez they're going to struggle to do it under Lampard

Get the popcorn out!

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I quite like him, but his track record as a manager doesn't really show anything to justify this job. Derby did OK while overspending and using his connections, Chelsea kids did OK, but when he left they were getting worse by the week.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was sacked from Chelsea because he’d been backed to bring in players for a title challenge and they were 9th. I’m not sure he was hard done by, I just don’t think he’s that good a manager.

I also don’t think he’s done the necessary hard yards that Rooney is doing at Derby or Gerrard has done in Scotland (not so hard, but good experience).

This could go very, very wrong for Everton.

Super Ted

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seeing all the blue round the ground I can't wait for him to say how thrilled he is to be here at Chel, I mean Everton! I can see Calvert Lewin going in the summer.
I’d have him at Wolves. Cracking player and would be a great replacement for Raul (not that I’m looking for him to leave).

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A big reason Everton are struggling is because of crap recruitment imo.

Keane, Iwobi, Allan, Gomes, Godfrey, Rodriguez, Kean all cost big money and have done nothing.

Richarlison plays when he wants to and never seems happy. Calvert Lewin is just coming back from injury and Doucoure who is injury prone.

That leaves players like Pickford who is inconsistent, Coleman who is average, Townsend who is so so and Demarai Gray who isn’t a bad player. Those last 2 didn’t cost a lot and were all Everton could afford in the last window. Rondon has done nothing since he went there either.

They have youngsters like Anthony Gordon and Tom Davies but they won’t make a lot of difference.

Everton are in a right mess and the owner, Farhad Moshiri, has spent millions on the squad and got nowhere. They are moving to a new stadium as well which is another few £100million.

I remember when they had players like Gordon West in goal, Brian Labone at the back, Colin Harvey, Alan Ball and Howard Kendall in midfield followed by Peter Reid with Andy Gray up front and many others. Great team.

Lampard has got a big job on his hands if/when he is appointed. If they get relegated (which they could) God knows what will happen to them.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never liked him, don't think he's got much about him as a manager, but he'll probably do alright there. Not top 8, so in Everton eyes it will ultimately be a failure appointment, but he won't have them swilling in the bottom four or five either.

Having Gerrard, Lampard and Vieira as managers feels vaguely surreal, like being fifteen years into a Football Manager save game. I wish Watford had appointed Roy Keane, that would have been the cherry on the cake.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The problems at Everton are overblown. They are having a bad season for sure but many talk as if they have been in some horrible slump for decades. 12th I believe is their lowest finish in 17 years, I wouldn't mind some of that failure.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was sacked from Chelsea because he’d been backed to bring in players for a title challenge and they were 9th. I’m not sure he was hard done by, I just don’t think he’s that good a manager.

I also don’t think he’s done the necessary hard yards that Rooney is doing at Derby or Gerrard has done in Scotland (not so hard, but good experience).

This could go very, very wrong for Everton.
One can but hope....

SheldonWolf

Reaction score
I like Everton.

Being in the shadow of Liverpool for decades it would be like the Albion winning Champions Leagues and League titles while we just “drifted around” the mid table mini league……yet they still sell out week in week out wherever. Goodison is a cracking away day, no plastic’s and a partisan crowd, exactly as it should be.

However.

Lampard? This is the guy who had a team sitting 9th in the Premier League who Tuchel won the Champions League with the same squad……never been in a relegation battle in his life……very inexperienced manager…….if he can’t get good players playing well, how is he going to get average players playing better to move up the league.

I worry for the blue side of Merseyside if this happens.

WolvTown

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Everton have become a mini Manure. They have so many players from so many different managers, bought in with differing approaches to style of play and positions.
They've lost all direction, not the type of job I'd want a lampard walking in to.

Either the owner comes out and holds his hands up and says we've made mistakes but this is a fresh start that will take three years to clear and reorganise, or they'll be looking for another manager just after Xmas having wasted more money on players that don't fit.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Keane, Iwobi, Allan, Gomes, Godfrey, Rodriguez, Kean all cost big money and have done nothing.

Richarlison plays when he wants to and never seems happy. Calvert Lewin is just coming back from injury and Doucoure who is injury prone.

That leaves players like Pickford who is inconsistent, Coleman who is average, Townsend who is so so and Demarai Gray who isn’t a bad player. Those last 2 didn’t cost a lot and were all Everton could afford in the last window. Rondon has done nothing since he went there either.

They have youngsters like Anthony Gordon and Tom Davies but they won’t make a lot of difference.

Everton are in a right mess and the owner, Farhad Moshiri, has spent millions on the squad and got nowhere. They are moving to a new stadium as well which is another few £100million.

I remember when they had players like Gordon West in goal, Brian Labone at the back, Colin Harvey, Alan Ball and Howard Kendall in midfield followed by Peter Reid with Andy Gray up front and many others. Great team.

Lampard has got a big job on his hands if/when he is appointed. If they get relegated (which they could) God knows what will happen to them.
Everton v Newcastle would be quite a big game in the Champs?!

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yes, they have always collected lots of players on overblown wages, so they end up with a big squad of predominantly average players.

It feels like Villa are doing a similar thing at the moment too. 2 options for most places, good squad competition, but other than a handful of players, no clear first XI.

That approach blocks the progress of younger players.

We seem to prioritise our first XI more. The advantage being we have a better performing first XI, the disadvantage being we have a smaller squad and feel it more if a key player is injured.

But another advantage is when a young player is progressing well, there aren’t loads of senior players blocking their pathway to first team football.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nonsense appointment. Rooney I could understand, as at least he’s been in a relegation battle in a basket case club, his limited experience is all entirely relevant.
Lampard…not so much.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They need some stability and a long term plan and they need to hold their nerve and rebuild even if it gets a bit tough. At some point you have to pick and stick with a manager or you turn into the laughing stock that is Watford. Their approach since Moshiri came in just hasnt worked.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t disagree Mugwump.

Amazing that the word ‘rebuild’ is used in your post (agree though) after they have spent and wasted £100’s of millions.

D

Deleted member (smith)

The problems at Everton are overblown. They are having a bad season for sure but many talk as if they have been in some horrible slump for decades. 12th I believe is their lowest finish in 17 years, I wouldn't mind some of that failure.

of course you are completely correct…and this will be a very bad season but they won’t be near relegation…there are at least five teams worse than Everton…

but I may be wrong…

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
They’ve spent over 600m in an attempt to break the top 6 and failed. success for them isn’t just staying in the division, its being more than just a mid table team.

KFordOriginal

Groupie
Reaction score
May Day May Day
Calling the Championship, I repeat Calling the Championship!
Big club on their way down, clear the decks as it’s going to be a bumpy landing.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think they will go down, but I certainly don’t see Lampard having much success there or being the bloke to turn things around or help implement a clear plan/structure. The money they’ve spent there over the years, seemingly with no real plan and with so little to show for it, has been bonkers really. An exemplar of how not to do things. Would love to see Villa get themselves in a similar mess before long.

Half a billion pounds spent on transfers over 5 years and they’ve achieved nothing, and now find themselves having to turn to Frank Lampard (meh) whilst sat not a million miles from the relegation zone in Feb. Pure comedy

Last edited:

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The problems at Everton aren't only on the pitch. They've been losing huge amounts of money, don't have a pot to **** in when it comes to buying players now because of FFP and have a monumental wage bill that they can't sustain. Add to that the millstone around their neck that their new half a billion pound stadium is likely to be to their spending power (see Arsenal and Spurs) and the future is anything but bright

Proper mess of a club at the moment

Ned Stark

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
slightly curious wording on this one it seems to me, saying he's been 'offered the job'

why not just say he's been appointed? why would he not just say yes straightaway?

maybe nothing in it I suppose

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I don’t mind Lampard he comes across well in interviews. I think Everton could be a good fit for him long term but he’s gotta get some results very early to win the fans round, it’s absolutely toxic there right now.

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn’t rate Lampard that much as a player. He was hyped up and very fortunate to have played in a Chelsea team packed With stars and great players. He was a good player but not great. I have the same feeling about John terry. Massively overrated as a player and made to look better by the players around him.

now onto his management appointments - he got the derby job because he was frank lampard, not because he was deserving of the job. He did ’ok’ at derby because he was able to exploit his connections, but he did ok nothing more.

he got the chelsea job because he was frank Lampard, a Chelsea old boy and a misty eyed expectation that he would be able to galvanise a squad of overpaid prima donna’s that didn’t like Sarri.

throw in the transfer embargo and he was the attempt at Chelsea to get some stability and someone that knew and understood the club. After the initial new manager bounce, he did ok but nothing more. Once the transfer ban was over, he reverted to Chelsea style and threw over £200m at signings.
once that took place, he was shown he was out of his depth and didn’t have to experience or strength to know what to do. His good old frankie old boy, media love in was only ever going to last so long.

Onto Everton and see everything above that I have just written. Overpaid, under achieving squad, many average players and huge fan expectations.
At Everton though he won’t have the old boy love in to fall back or rely on. He won’t get as much slack cut and has a big old job on his hands to try and turn them round. With FFP restrictions, that may be even harder.
Of course the media will love him, MOTD will swoon over him, but it remains to be seen if it’s a good appointment.

For me, he got the job because he’s Frank Lampard, and not because he is the right appointment that they need. If he lasts 12 months he will be doing well.

Back
Top Bottom