Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Formation- 4-2-3-1

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought this might be worthy of a thread on its own if everyone doesnt mind.

I was thinking the above formation may well be a way to try and ease our chronic goal scoring issues.

Back four of Semedo, Dawson, Collins, RAN

Midfield two of Neves and Lemina with Podence Sarabia Cunha behind a new no9. Appreciate not everyone will agree with this but
Brighton play this formation to great effect and thought it might help us become a more fluent and attacking team.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Completely agree. Against the weaker sides, I’d be looking at a team of:

Sa
Semedo, Collins, Kilman/Dawson, RAN
Neves, Nunes
Sarabia, Cunha, Podence
New Striker/Striker

Adama (and hopefully Neto) in a super sub role with Lemina used to help close out games like he did against West Ham.

Will be some games though where we need the extra man (and athleticism in midfield) so would be looking at:

Sa
Lemina, Neves, Nunes
Sarabia, New Striker/Cunha, Podence

jonesy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought this might be worthy of a thread on its own if everyone doesnt mind.

I was thinking the above formation may well be a way to try and ease our chronic goal scoring issues.

Back four of Semedo, Dawson, Collins, RAN

Midfield two of Neves and Lemina with Podence Sarabia Cunha behind a new no9. Appreciate not everyone will agree with this but
Brighton play this formation to great effect and thought it might help us become a more fluent and attacking team.
Agree totally

T

TheConcourse

I don’t think the numbers, however we chop them up really matter anymore.

Every single individual on the pitch needs to be accountable for defending and attacking together.

It’s simply not good enough to suggest that players should patrol 30 yards of space and never move away from that. It’s Solbakken ball.

The game is fluid, and they all need to show way more accountability and be ready to affect the game at different stages.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think 4231 and 433 will be what he rotates between. Sarabia in the hole in the 4231, and on the flank in the 433.

Personally, I think 4312 is the answer because IMO we beed two in the box.

Sa
Semedo Collins Dawson Bueno
Nunes Neves Lemina
Sarabia
Cunha Podence

But that risks leaving us light on the flanks so JL won’t do it.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I don't think our 433 has been much different to a 4231 a lot of the time. Today I'd say we started with a flatish 3, but most games it's two deepish/very deep and one pushed on. The midfield diamond might have been interesting to see if it had more time today.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not sure there's money in the kitty for a new striker? Surely that money went on Sasa then Cunha and Costa's wages? And where will we find a new striker with 9 days of the window left?

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thinking on I suppose if we don't sign Gomes the £17 mil saved there could go to a new striker, if we can find one?

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
Completely agree. Against the weaker sides, I’d be looking at a team of:

Sa
Neves, Nunes
Sarabia, Cunha, Podence
New Striker/Striker

Adama (and hopefully Neto) in a super sub role with Lemina used to help close out games like he did against West Ham.

Will be some games though where we need the extra man (and athleticism in midfield) so would be looking at:

Sa
Lemina, Neves, Nunes
Sarabia, New Striker/Cunha, Podence
I don't think we will be signing another striker unfortunately.

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think 4-2-3-1 suits the players we have, certainly our better players.
Even with Raul and Costa who are past their best, I think we would create more and better chances which should increase our goal tally.
A new striker would obviously be useful (as would a new keeper on current form)

RichB

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I don't think we will be signing another striker unfortunately.

It will be strange if we don’t. My thinking is that surely common sense would have been to bring Fabio back in and give him a try.

So either JL really doesn’t like him and is happy with what we have

Or

There’s someone lined up.

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Call me an old fuddy duddy but what’s so wrong with two up top these days? A couple of strikers working in tandem? Shearer & Sutton, Cole & Sherringham, Rush & Aldridge the list goes on. I don’t understand what’s so wrong with it?

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Whether it is 4231 with Cunha in the hole or 442 with him alongside a central striker (of which there is only specific detail separating the two options) there is no doubt that we will continue our pitiful goalscoring return unless we start going for it and playing with 4 attackers.

Podence, Sarabia and Hwang don't have the dynamism to get in at the far stick whilst playing in a 3. Raul and Costa don't have the athleticism to run the channels so can't play one up front in a three. RAN and Adama don't have the crossing ability to ever find one man in the box (and who does?). Nunes, Neves, Mouts and Lemina don't have the running power or inclination to make barn storming late runs into the box from a three.

We simply have to sacrifice a midfielder to make this squad work. How is a midfield featuring two of the most sought after midfielders in the PL (so we are told!) unable to a) play as a two and b) pass to each other consistently enough to retain possession in any given game? I think having an extra body in there confuses them and they would be better playing with the clarity of Neves as deep lying play maker and Nunes as ball carrier. That clarity of roles is often missing with our midfield.

I am not sure it is Julen's inclination but at some point he will have to take the shackles off and try to win games. Now is the time.

floydstreet

Reaction score
The formation is important and that could work. But the style and flow are also.

Presently we are ponderous, too deliberate, easy to read and have minimal off the ball movement.

At this level we need more one touch football (too many of ours take 2/3 every time), more swift movement and greater inter play. The formation may help, but we have to move the ball quicker and more positively to create. It’s not like we are missing chances, we are just not creating any and suspect we are easy to defend against

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From an attacking perspective it almost literally cannot be any worse than what we currently have.

12 goals all season. It's so bad you have to laugh. It must be the lowest in our history after 20 games?

Nothing much will change if we just shove Sarabia on the wing. Admittedly he'll be better than Hwang but much of the same issues will still occur in terms of only being able to attack from the wings, and with that, at an incredibly slow and predictable pace.

I'd go:

Sa

Semedo Collins Dawson Ait Nouri

Neves Nunes Lemina

Sarabia

Podence Cunha

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Call me an old fuddy duddy but what’s so wrong with two up top these days? A couple of strikers working in tandem? Shearer & Sutton, Cole & Sherringham, Rush & Aldridge the list goes on. I don’t understand what’s so wrong with it?
You forgot the best.............................Bully and Mutch!

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What about 5-2-3

Sarkic
Semedo Collins Dawson Kilman RAN
Neves Lemina
Sarabia Cunha Podence

Reaction score
In my opinion , we definitely need 2 up top .

I think also think ‘3’ behind the 1 line striker don’t know if they are midfield or strikers and leaves them playing neither effectively . Then the 2 holding midfielders are short if the 3 are attacking and not sure whether to get back or not .

Personally … 3-5-2 , or 4-4-2 I would like to see more of

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dont think that would work. Would again leave us with not enough height and not enough players getting forwards to attack the opponents box.
What other options do we have?? Podence and Sarabia are small granted

If we want height 4-3-3?? Get Podence and Sarabia to link up down that left side unfortunately midfield is light with Neves so deep.

Semedo Collins Dawson Toti
Neves Lemina Sarabia
Cunha Raul Podence

4-5-1 maybe more effective ??

Semedo Collins Dawson Kilman
Sarabia Neves Moutinho Lemina Podence
Cunha

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What other options do we have?? Podence and Sarabia are small granted

If we want height 4-3-3?? Get Podence and Sarabia to link up down that left side unfortunately midfield is light with Neves so deep.

Semedo Collins Dawson Toti
Neves Lemina Sarabia
Cunha Raul Podence

4-5-1 maybe more effective ??

Cunha

We simply have to sign a striker between now and the close of the window. Add the new striker with Cunha, Podence and Sarabia behind and we may be in business. It is clear to me that neither Raul or Costa are going to score the goals required and neither are Hwang or Adama. No9, ideally around 6ft 2 with pace. Moffi is the one I really like.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With the money we have spent I really cannot see us buying another striker, certainly not with Sasa and Fabio on the books. Thd best we can hope for is a loan imo, and I am not sure of that happening.

Going forward and er going forward this season , if all are fit our best options for our midfield and front 6 from Nunes, Lemina, Boubacar Neves, Sarabia, Cunha, Neto and Podence. Bench consisting of 2 from the above Raul, Adama. If added physicality is what we are after there should be no room for Hodgd and Moutinho. Podence is only in because he looks our most likely to score currently, although I do think Cunha and Sarabia will chip in.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We simply have to sign a striker between now and the close of the window. Add the new striker with Cunha, Podence and Sarabia behind and we may be in business. It is clear to me that neither Raul or Costa are going to score the goals required and neither are Hwang or Adama. No9, ideally around 6ft 2 with pace. Moffi is the one I really like.
I totally agree if we splashed out on Moffi he would score us enough to stay up

Sa
Moffi

Use the wingers mick style

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Obviously it imploded for reasons unrelated to the system, and didn't last long yesterday, but it seemed to me that after half time we came out 442 with a diamond midfield. Is that right and will it work?

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need a Tammy Abraham style no9 in my opinion. Moffi is the sort of no9 we need. Tall, quick and skill full.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I tend to go along with JL in that formations are over-hyped. Football is a simple game, score in the oppositions net and keep the opposition from scoring. Under Nuno we focused on the latter and left the former to a front 2 or 3. This suited the players we had and, as we were new to the PL, we could play on the counter. After the Seville game we have spent 2.5 years changing our identity which has resulted in conceding more and scoring less. This is not to do with formation per se but with personnel.

Our midfield up until this month has been focused on passing, trying to control the space behind them and staying in a defensive shape. Great for counter attacks, not great for possession based football as that inevitably takes place in our half or either side of the centre circle. Consequently we have little join between midfield and forwards, and the midfield haven’t got the instincts or pace to join. Under JL we are beginning to see a change, Moutinho is playing closer to the forwards whilst Nunes is more box to box. Playing Moutinho alongside Neves means we have 2 slow midfielders sitting too deep and unable to support attacks. Lemina will offer similar but with more energy and pace than Moutinho. If I look at the West Ham game we took more risks, moved the ball generally quicker and got men in the box. We also sustained pressure higher up the pitch. If this continues I think we will start to see an improvement in our goal scoring opportunities.

I don’t expect the 3 front players to play together again. Adama flatters to deceive and has for 2.5 seasons. Raul is not the same player, he’s a second behind the game all the time. Hwang presses ok but is limited in other ways. I expect all three to be gone in the summer and maybe in the next week if suitable replacements can be found. I expect our front three to be Podence, Sarabia and Cunha with yesterday’s three coming off the bench.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mindset and belief more important than formation imo.

And player quality. If they can't manage quick interchange passing in any of the formations tried so far , then how will they manage it in this? It will still all fall down long before a chance gets created. Let alone if we do get the ball somewhere near the opponents goal, we have noone who can win it.

We've tried so many formations, I don't see how they can provide anything but a minor adjustment. Maybe put us on 14 goals instead of 12.

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
I thought we looked great in the first game against Liverpool when used a 4-4-2.

I think Cunha will be a really effective 2nd striker:

Semedo-Collins-Kilman/Dawson-Bueno
Sarabia/Neto-Neves/Lemina-Nunes/Traore-Podence/RAN
Cuhna/Hwang-Raul/Costa

Can change to 4-2-3-1 easily enough by dropping Sarabia in the hole and playing Cuhna out wide…

Can change to a back 3 by adding a CB and taking off Bueno if RAN is at the LM position.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
now that the silly run of fixtures is over i’d like to see more consistently, more sticking with players as opposed to five changes a game, and trusting the players to learn a system, not making three subs at half time.

it isn’t about adding another ten ****ing players!!

Yeah I’d like to see a consistent starting 11 of our best players, not our best players coming on at 60 mibutes

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Yeah I’d like to see a consistent starting 11 of our best players, not our best players coming on at 60 mibutes
I just think Lopetegui sees an overall strategy. He's like some ancient general holding the cavalry back until the infantry have done their job. I think Sarabia will start soon and I'd love to see him in that central role behind Cunha (or the Big 9 if we get one!).

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just think Lopetegui sees an overall strategy. He's like some ancient general holding the cavalry back until the infantry have done their job. I think Sarabia will start soon and I'd love to see him in that central role behind Cunha (or the Big 9 if we get one!).
That’s the problem though

We never go 2 goals ahead . We are always in tight matches , which can go either way - and too often they go the wrong way.

Back
Top Bottom