Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

For everyone who hates the long ball...

Ivegotawolvesscarf

Reaction score
Sorry I must be blind. I miss the intricate passing play that occurs between the ball leaving Gigg's foot in the Man United half and arriving at Van Persie's on the edge of the West Ham box.

Plastic Shrapnel

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Long ball is hit and hope football, that was an angled pass perfectly placed onto the run of a striker.

Worlds apart.

Wall heath Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its a long, over head pass. Long ball football is just smashing the round thing constantly up front hoping your target man can get on the end of it and create/score or hold it up untill support arrives.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with that, was it giggsy or scholes who played it? Looked up, saw the striker had made a run and played it for him to run onto. But you can't do it all the time.

If long ball football would get us automatic promotion now, would you do it?
I know i would, but then you need a plan b especially for the prem. Also it helps to have players like RVP and giggs.

Plastic Shrapnel

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The best example of long ball football in that clip is from the West Ham keeper, and look where that landed the team trying to utilise the method!

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't think we have the players to make that kind of pass. As said, our game is lump it up the middle and hope it doesn't come straight back, which it usually does.

Ivegotawolvesscarf

Reaction score
The best example of long ball football in that clip is from the West Ham keeper, and look where that landed the team trying to utilise the method!

It's not a method, it's an action. As you say there are 2 long balls in that clip. One of them from the keeper, one from Giggs.

I ask again of the people who hate seeing it, what is wrong with Giggs' long ball?

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's not "long ball" football

This, that's a fantastic player making a long range pass when the opportunity arose. Long ball is constantly punting the ball towards the CFs head, by passing the midfield completely.

It's often a way of covering up technically inferior players and their lack of movement (footballing brain)

Last edited by a moderator:

dane

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ivegotawolvesscarf 1 - 0 Modern football fans

Except we're not all as thick as you and know that just because you play a short passing game you're allowed to make a pass of more than 10 yards

306NOTOUT

Ha ha the problem being if O'Hara plays a ball like that then it will have an intended target like Giggs.

If Berra, Foley, Henry, Ward or Johnson do it which they did under mick then it had no intended destination apart from anywhere away from my feet

J

johnybig32

A long pass, based on good movement and a great passer...RVP and Giggs.

Is completely different to a hit and hope into the channels or to a static attacker. Berra and SEB

W

WasStefan

except we're not all as thick as you and know that just because you play a short passing game you're allowed to make a pass of more than 10 yards

Dane 1-0 Sandwell Wolf

A

andyc225

It's not a method, it's an action. As you say there are 2 long balls in that clip. One of them from the keeper, one from Giggs.

I ask again of the people who hate seeing it, what is wrong with Giggs' long ball?

It's just a long pass. Jaaskelainen's long kick and the West Ham player losing the ball is what's "wrong" with the play.

Plastic Shrapnel

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Giggsy's was a PASS, and what a pass!

West Ham's Keeper just punted it up the pitch.

Surely you can comprehend the difference there and why it wasn't long ball football?

Do you play FIFA?

Shoot button in your own half? Long ball football
Lob with the relevant shoulder button pressed? Pass onto a runner!

W

Woffles

I don't think there's one person on this board who has ever said you should never play a long ball.

A passing game is about passing. The clip shows a superb pass. Simple really. You'd think.

306NOTOUT

Giggsy's was a PASS, and what a pass!

West Ham's Keeper just punted it up the pitch.

Surely you can comprehend the difference there and why it wasn't long ball football?

Do you play FIFA?

Shoot button in your own half? Long ball football
Lob with the relevant shoulder button pressed? Pass onto a runner!

fifa-13-stoke-city-controller1.jpg

H

Hawkins discuss

My lad went on a sport video camerman training course once and was shown various clips on tecnique in handling the focus and pan on the camera etc
The guy explaind that if the ball is accurate ,in focus and in shot it is a controlled pass or hit ie rugby football cricket nfl etc
if it is not able to be kept in shot is usually is uncontrolled spontainious reactive shot known in the soccer/football trade as hoofball in cricket its a miss hit
(just being technical)

welshy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can you imagine the touch SEB will have off a pass like that ? :rofl:

Ivegotawolvesscarf

Reaction score
So a long ball is a modern football-esque pass when it looks good and comes off and "long ball football" when it doesn't?

Ikeme has been an horrendous hit and hoper this season, to the extent that I'm bewildered he's rated as highly as he is. But even though most of his panicked clearances or ill thought out hoofs come from a period of possession play across the back I was never tempted to think it was a part of Stale's new style.

Ivegotawolvesscarf

Reaction score
I don't think there's one person on this board who has ever said you should never play a long ball.

A passing game is about passing. The clip shows a superb pass. Simple really. You'd think.

So the answer is - there's no one who hates a good long ball?

Plastic Shrapnel

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
So a long ball is a modern football-esque pass when it looks good and comes off and "long ball football" when it doesn't?

I've rolled my eyes a lot reading this forum as of late, I really have. Congratulations on being the first to truly get a facepalm moment!

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our strikers havent got the pace or movement to get away from a cb, and most our players excluding o'hara (that's all he can do IMO) can play a ball that precise. If you're playing against decent cb's then it's bread and butter for them to deal with. Would you say that Bully being so strong playing off the cb meant that there was always a long pass on, no matter how inaccurate?
On the subject of Ikeme, how many back passes did he have to deal with in a game, usually resulting in a long ball? Loads, and that was because we had no movement in midfield and our outfield players were so slow at passing.

Ivegotawolvesscarf

Reaction score
Don't be so rude. I asked a question about why long balls were hated and people come back to me with talk about a "style" as though anyone would advocate aimless hoofs as a method for winning football matches. It's not my fault if people choose to arbitrarily define what a long ball is during the discussion.

dane

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't be so rude. I asked a question about why long balls were hated and people come back to me with talk about a "style" as though anyone would advocate aimless hoofs as a method for winning football matches. It's not my fault if people choose to arbitrarily define what a long ball is during the discussion.

If you can't see the difference between a long perfectly placed pass played into feet and punting the ball upfield from the back in the hope one of your players might be somewhere near it then the problem is yours, not anyone elses

Ivegotawolvesscarf

Reaction score
Our strikers havent got the pace or movement to get away from a cb, and most our players excluding o'hara (that's all he can do IMO) can play a ball that precise. If you're playing against decent cb's then it's bread and butter for them to deal with. Would you say that Bully being so strong playing off the cb meant that there was always a long pass on, no matter how inaccurate?
On the subject of Ikeme, how many back passes did he have to deal with in a game, usually resulting in a long ball? Loads, and that was because we had no movement in midfield and our outfield players were so slow at passing.

That's exactly why I want to separate the long ball from the concept of a style. Ikeme played all those hoofs under the rubric of a system that was aimed at keeping possession and yet all he could do was play a ball that would give it away. And yes, I think Bully as an outlet allowed for the long passes to be played with some confidence that he could be on the end of it.

We've heard so much talk about needing players with technical ability to be able to implement Stale's passing game but Giggs, Scholes et al are all incredibly gifted players who can play beautiful, game changing long balls. I wondered why that seems to be so overlooked by advocates of a "new style".

E

ev123uk

That goal reminded me very much of gazza to bully v the Czechs.....better finish by god though!

Ivegotawolvesscarf

Reaction score
If you can't see the difference between a long perfectly placed pass played into feet and punting the ball upfield from the back in the hope one of your players might be somewhere near it then the problem is yours, not anyone elses

I can see the difference but it wasn't me who decided that long ball could only mean a punt played with no thought behind it.

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Long ball is constantly punting the ball towards the CFs head, by passing the midfield completely.

It's often a way of covering up technically inferior players and their lack of movement (footballing brain)

That wasn't the way Cullis envisaged the long ball game in the 50s or the way Wolves played it; much of the play went via the wingers. It was intended to pressure the opposition penalty area as quickly as possible, but also as accurately as possible, hence utilising the wingers & cross-field balls rather than a direct punt from the back.

And later, Wagstaffe to Dougan to Richards involved a high level of precision & accuracy to guarantee the success of a more direct style.

M

Mr Wolf

WolvesScarf

We don't have a problem with a midfielder picking a pass playing a ball over a centre backs head for our forwards to run onto, nobody would.

We have a problem with Ward, Berra, Johnson etc constantly clipping aimless balls up to the forwards instead of having a slight bit of footballing ability and keeping the $$$$ing thing.

You see the difference now, others have tried but hopefully this has helped you.

Back
Top Bottom