Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Football Styling - Wolves

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Even with lages view of attacking football we have not had as many runners moving forward, yes we look loose and relying on individual brilliance but looks fantastic

Couple with the midfield steel of joao and lemina we have the ability to win the ball back

We look more composed and get more in the box than in Bruno’s first 3

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We look fantastic and the season could be very exciting.
The worm of doubt in my mind, and there's always one with Wolves fans!, is that Monday was how Lopetegui wanted us to play, presumably. And while I feel nothing but disdain for the man, the coaches with him were obviously first class. The question and the doubt is whether the new set up can, or want, to continue this style and identity. I really hope they have the ability and vision. We shall see

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The worm of doubt in my mind, and there's always one with Wolves fans!, is that Monday was how Lopetegui wanted us to play, presumably. And while I feel nothing but disdain for the man, the coaches with him were obviously first class. The question and the doubt is whether the new set up can, or want, to continue this style and identity. I really hope they have the ability and vision. We shall see
Not from what i gather from some of the interviews in setup yes but GON wants free flowing attacking football, he probably had maybe 25% to 30% input we should see more of his input v brighton

Kilman and dawson have stated it was JLs initial views with then GONs ideas input also

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s all about moving forwards and having someone with you available for a pass alongside you

Previously our players were available, but always behind those with the ball

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is anyone else concerned that this style of play and the way we played against Man U came from Lopetegui rather than GON? Not a dig at GON, I just hope that it is something that he can sustain.
certainly concerned but even sevilla and his tactics previously and how we played v celtic did not show this.

I just think he builds from the back and is more set in.

Plovdiv Wolf

Reaction score
Playing well is pretty, but just like under Solbakken we need substance to our play

Without goals we won't go far

Our style is nice, but again without goals. We won't win

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The one neg for me in that first clip is playing Pedro Neto on the right. I was watching Leeds vs Blues at the weekend: Leeds played Dan James on the left. He skinned the FB pretty much every time. And every time he checked back onto his stronger right foot to cross, and the advantage was gone.
Pedro was just the same on Monday: constantly checking back to cross with his left foot. Would much prefer him playing on the left.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is anyone else concerned that this style of play and the way we played against Man U came from Lopetegui rather than GON? Not a dig at GON, I just hope that it is something that he can sustain.

Maybe if we didn't play inconsistent and dull football under him.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The one neg for me in that first clip is playing Pedro Neto on the right. I was watching Leeds vs Blues at the weekend: Leeds played Dan James on the left. He skinned the FB pretty much every time. And every time he checked back onto his stronger right foot to cross, and the advantage was gone.
Pedro was just the same on Monday: constantly checking back to cross with his left foot. Would much prefer him playing on the left.
Agree whole heartedly!

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Supposedly alot of the coaches he brought in were jobs for mates, which you can find by digging deeper into their CV's. Some who were stinking the place out with their attitudes. Only need to see from the first game the huge improvement in attitude in the playing staff. We were at 50% last season.

T

TheConcourse

That’s the only concern for me. I don’t want to see GON retreat back to a negative style. We don’t need to. There’s absolutely no way that group of players go down playing that football. No way.

GON did talk about more forward runners tbf, so that gives me hope.

The snippets from training showed tight spaces and taking risks on the ball too, so let’s hope his influence has had a De Zerbi style effect and finally taken the shackles off.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
So excited with the performance on Monday. My only worry is that if we play that positively and open we're likely to concede more. So in theory it's fine, we win 2 or 3-1 every week, but that means we have to score more. We need to convert more of the extra chances we will make.

Also totally with switching Neto and Nunes, Lopetegui used to start players on the wrong wings regularly, but they'd always switch for periods of the game. That didn't happen, which I hope was a plan for Man U and not a long term strategy.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do you think Neto would have skinned Win Bassaka down the line?

Where would you play Neto when we play Man City and Kyle Walker lines up?

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not from what i gather from some of the interviews in setup yes but GON wants free flowing attacking football, he probably had maybe 25% to 30% input we should see more of his input v brighton

Kilman and dawson have stated it was JLs initial views with then GONs ideas input also
I hope GON has some fresh ideas on how to tackle Brighton, because they've certainly done a number on us recently with previous coaches tactics and set ups

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope GON has some fresh ideas on how to tackle Brighton, because they've certainly done a number on us recently with previous coaches tactics and set ups
They've done a number on us for as long as I can remember, back to a freezing cold night at Molineux and a Peter Ward hat trick for them. Blue and white stripes seem to be Kryptonite to Wolves.

geowolf

Reaction score
I actually thought the fitness levels let us down on Monday for that level of intensity. Players appeared to tire quite early in the second half. We still remained very competitive, even controlled the game, but there was some poor decision-making and technique eg a fresh Pedro Neto puts that chance into one of the corners every time. Think O’Neil still has a lot of work to do on fitness but he must be absolutely thrilled with the group.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I actually thought the fitness levels let us down on Monday for that level of intensity. Players appeared to tire quite early in the second half. We still remained very competitive, even controlled the game, but there was some poor decision-making and technique eg a fresh Pedro Neto puts that chance into one of the corners every time. Think O’Neil still has a lot of work to do on fitness but he must be absolutely thrilled with the group.
I thought the complete opposite about the fitness levels but each to their own

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
certainly concerned but even sevilla and his tactics previously and how we played v celtic did not show this.

I just think he builds from the back and is more set in.
Rennes? That was the trial for Monday in my view.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The set up isn't designed for an 11 man but a 16 man game. If l had one criticism of GON about Monday night it would be that some of the substitutions should have been earlier.

Achilles Last Stand

Reaction score
They've done a number on us for as long as I can remember, back to a freezing cold night at Molineux and a Peter Ward hat trick for them. Blue and white stripes seem to be Kryptonite to Wolves.

You can add Shuddersfield to that aswell....

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Keen said in the podcast that O’Neil wants to improve fitness further. JL did a lot to improve fitness but the levels they had dropped to under Lage were shockingly bad, we just couldn’t compete for more than 70 minutes.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Keen said in the podcast that O’Neil wants to improve fitness further. JL did a lot to improve fitness but the levels they had dropped to under Lage were shockingly bad, we just couldn’t compete for more than 70 minutes.
We do need to improve further to allow the squad to play this week in week out and midweek games,

i agree with another poster though, he could have made SILVA and Hwang subs earlier.

Cunha was all over the place but was gassed at about 65

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We looked the fittest on Monday that any Wolves team has looked since Nuno's second season in the PL.
That 2nd season was odd because we rarely played at full tempo for the whole game. We would manage the game for 30/45 minutes and then come on strong. We developed a fantastic way of playing the number of games we did but I do think the players weren’t as explosively fit as they could have been.

It the came detrimental in the COVID season as we had no pre-season to speak of and wanted to change to a different style of play without the fitness levels, or players, to support it. Foolish really but hindsight is a perfect science.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That 2nd season was odd because we rarely played at full tempo for the whole game. We would manage the game for 30/45 minutes and then come on strong. We developed a fantastic way of playing the number of games we did but I do think the players weren’t as explosively fit as they could have been.

It the came detrimental in the COVID season as we had no pre-season to speak of and wanted to change to a different style of play without the fitness levels, or players, to support it. Foolish really but hindsight is a perfect science.
Very fair comment.

Wisdomwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Cunha's strength, power and pace has genuinely surprised me.
Was coming back from Birmingham on a train towards the tail end of last season and happened to be sitting in the same carriage as Wolves players presumably coming back from a clean sheet feast. Cunha’s upper body muscle definition suggests serious power in his arms and shoulders. You don‘t always get to see this in the stands or on television.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought Manures fitness levels were pretty poor, not ours!

We kept up our intensity throughout the second half and created so many chances by doing that.

Great to watch and I hope it continues.

Back
Top Bottom