Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Football Programmes Do you prefer immaculate or dog eared !

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I recently picked up some old Wolves programmes from the seventies on EBay and they were at a bargain price as apparently collectors do not want one's that are folded up and shoved in your pocket ( that's me ! ) or scribbled on with player team changes and substitutes ( that's me again ) I prefer the idea of someone thumbing through it and penning in the changes. I think the only Wolves program I tried to keep pristine was the 1988 Sherpa Van Final ( I also did the same for the Express and Star magazine that was sold at Wembley that glorious day that had A4 sized player pictures, thinking about it I did buy 2 as I took great delight in sticking a lot of those pictures up around my chair in the " snack hut " at work ! :p )

I have a number of programmes that had to be dried out on the radiator upon returning home. The one that still makes me smile is from the 2-2 draw at home to Albion the " Tom Bennett goes in goal game " that was played in a monsoon. Same as Plymouth away in Mick's promotion season as that was soaked due to even by Plymouth's standards a " wet day ! "

For me a program with a fold in it or scribbled on has character ( if paper stapled together can actually have that of course ! ).

While on about football memorabilia there is quite a market for old tickets. Now as I was either a North Bank or South Bank pay on the gate " stander upper ! " old ticket stubs were never my thing. Even when it came to sitting down I was not one for keeping tickets ( apart from Wembley 88 at the Sherpa Van Final ) I am curious as to how many of you have kept yours ?

For the record on my last trip to Wembley I paid £5 for a programme which I did not scribble on and tried to look after but as none of us want reminding of what happened that day I have only flicked through it and have chucked it in a box in the loft and as for the ticket that went in the green recycling bin that very night !

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I recently picked up some old Wolves programmes from the seventies on EBay and they were at a bargain price as apparently collectors do not want one's that are folded up and shoved in your pocket ( that's me ! ) or scribbled on with player team changes and substitutes ( that's me again ) I prefer the idea of someone thumbing through it and penning in the changes. I think the only Wolves program I tried to keep pristine was the 1988 Sherpa Van Final ( I also did the same for the Express and Star magazine that was sold at Wembley that glorious day that had A4 sized player pictures, thinking about it I did buy 2 as I took great delight in sticking a lot of those pictures up around my chair in the " snack hut " at work ! :p )

I have a number of programmes that had to be dried out on the radiator upon returning home. The one that still makes me smile is from the 2-2 draw at home to Albion the " Tom Bennett goes in goal game " that was played in a monsoon. Same as Plymouth away in Mick's promotion season as that was soaked due to even by Plymouth's standards a " wet day ! "

For me a program with a fold in it or scribbled on has character ( if paper stapled together can actually have that of course ! ).

While on about football memorabilia there is quite a market for old tickets. Now as I was either a North Bank or South Bank pay on the gate " stander upper ! " old ticket stubs were never my thing. Even when it came to sitting down I was not one for keeping tickets ( apart from Wembley 88 at the Sherpa Van Final ) I am curious as to how many of you have kept yours ?

For the record on my last trip to Wembley I paid £5 for a programme which I did not scribble on and tried to look after but as none of us want reminding of what happened that day I have only flicked through it and have chucked it in a box in the loft and as for the ticket that went in the green recycling bin that very night !
everything pristine including the print out car park ticket from the semi final.
also all my season tickets from the sixties onwards(apart from one season under the bhattis when they didn`t do any)

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Back in the day when you didn't need to take out a mortgage to buy a programme, I bought one at every game, home and away. Mine were very much dog eared, with player changes and scorers on it. Also, my son accompanied us on some away games, and he often had players autographs in it. He kept most of them and took them with him when he set up home with his fiancé.

D

Deleted member 4456

I'll probably be pilloried for this but I like the new digital formats. They don't clutter up my home.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'll probably be pilloried for this but I like the new digital formats. They don't clutter up my home.

Not at all I can see where you are coming from and please do not misunderstand me I am not out to patronise but football programmes are like newspapers in that people of my age ( 56 ) are possibly the last generation to buy them. I rarely buy a newspaper now between a Sunday and Friday and buy two on a Saturday that last all week !

You are right they can be clutter, but one person's clutter is another's character ! :D :D

tamworth

Groupie
Reaction score
Must admit I never liked paying the extra for programmes once they reached a quid, espespcially the big games. Have kept every ticket stub from Wolves, England and Tamworth games when we had to have a ticket since the early 80's. And if going abroad to a game kept all the flight/ferry tickets as well. Lots of people I went with over the years used to buy two, one to read and scribble on and one to keep pristine.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not at all I can see where you are coming from and please do not misunderstand me I am not out to patronise but football programmes are like newspapers in that people of my age ( 56 ) are possibly the last generation to buy them. I rarely buy a newspaper now between a Sunday and Friday and buy two on a Saturday that last all week !

You are right they can be clutter, but one person's clutter is another's character ! :D :D
Have to laugh, in a good way, at your comment about the newspaper. I am elderly and have always bought a Saturday paper and read it from cover to cover during the week. I was driving the other week listening to some young people talking and laughing at their parents who still read newspapers and one parent even spent a whole week reading his?! My Wolves programmes are all neatly boxed up in year order in the shed!

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just read in the Yorkshire Post that a 1948 Sheffield Utd v Man Utd programme is valued at £40-£60 at an upcoming auction. I know there are many old uns on here who, like me, may still have their old programmes hidden away somewhere and if they're in good nick they may have some value?

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not Wolves related. When I moved home many years ago I found a pristine Arsenal v Man Untd programme which was the last Untd game before Munich. Found it under the stairs. Said to be worth a few Bob.
An amazing game.

1 February 1958.
Arsenal (0) 4 Herd 58, Bloomfield (2) 60, 61, Tapscott 77. Man. Utd (3) 5 Edwards 10, R Charlton 34, Taylor (2) 43, 72, Viollet 65.
Att. 63,578
Certainly worth a few bob, as you say! :D

SmokeyGB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have my grandads ticket stub from the 1938 Scottish Cup final for East Fife against Kilmarnock (replay) when they won the cup and also his rosette in gold/black with cup final 1938 in the middle.
Asked East Fife if they wanted it buy it of me for there trophy cabinet but they declined the offer, also wondered how much that would be worth.

Rusty Staples

Groupie
Reaction score
My programme collection consists of games the late Derek Dougan played in with his six Football League Clubs + None League Kettering, International Testimonial etc not done to bad over the years don't think I have many missing ....but thay all have to be in has near mint condition as possible ...that's because I am a fussy bugger

Last edited:

donwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone can remember, but we had a game called off against Scunny for weathr (either snow or fog) at about 10ish. Only the corporates managed to get a programme. Think these are worth a fortune especially for the Scunny fans

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The point I was making in my earlier post today was that we all have programmes, usually discarded and unloved, but actually some of the older, rarer ones may be worth some money if you are prepared to sell them. For me, now I'm 70, it's an issue as, if I snuff it, no one in my family is the slightest bit interested in football so all my Wolves stuff, programmes included, will either get chucked out or taken to the charity shop.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Iv got a nice collection haven’t bought any old ones for a while my oldest one is about 1954 arsenal away quite good nick too was about 5 quid off eBay the home programme from 50s and 60s love the simple white / gold design

Better condition but when they have score and scorers in you realise this was from the game little bit of history

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The point I was making in my earlier post today was that we all have programmes, usually discarded and unloved, but actually some of the older, rarer ones may be worth some money if you are prepared to sell them. For me, now I'm 70, it's an issue as, if I snuff it, no one in my family is the slightest bit interested in football so all my Wolves stuff, programmes included, will either get chucked out or taken to the charity shop.
You hoping someone makes you an offer you can’t refuse..? ;)

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The rot set in when they became "Matchday Magazines". The Matchday Magazine was never going to compete in a digital age.

I still think there is a place for the old "Souvenir Programme" however. A simple hard copy with an up to date team sheet some glossy artwork and prominent club logo, perhaps given away free, as part of the "match day experience", or sold as a physical connection to those supporters excluded from the live games, by distance, circumstances, or sheer economics.

Back to the future! They said vinyl records were dead, but it seems not.

Could be the same for the old programme, if people think just that little bit ahead of trying to compete with what was modern last year (e-programmes so pre-pandamic!). Could be a significant part of pushing that Wolves brand again.

Back
Top Bottom