Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Football Manager 2018

WSCWolf

Reaction score
Lost to Juve 2-1 first leg in the Champs League,

Second Leg

P0O5sg3.png

Player recommendations

Brenner from SPO Brazil
Guilherme Arana from COR Brazil
Thiago Almada from Velez

1vssjDX.png

gullykular

Reaction score
Lost to Juve 2-1 first leg in the Champs League,

Second Leg

P0O5sg3.png

Player recommendations

Brenner from SPO Brazil
Guilherme Arana from COR Brazil
Thiago Almada from Velez

1vssjDX.png

Is that your regular formation?! How attacking...

WSCWolf

Reaction score
Is that your regular formation?! How attacking...

Very attacking Gully, and yes I do play this most weeks, went out to Man City in the quarter finals, kind of my Boggie team atm

26e67dde-b668-4ad1-b37c-ead2aab4e413

RmZlv0p.png

Inverted wingbacks play more central then it looks here and give Arthur more support at CM.

Got my First Premier League Win tied up after 37 games
Note the Goals scored

Xnfx41D.png

gullykular

Reaction score
Very attacking Gully, and yes I do play this most weeks, went out to Man City in the quarter finals, kind of my Boggie team atm

26e67dde-b668-4ad1-b37c-ead2aab4e413

RmZlv0p.png

Inverted wingbacks play more central then it looks here and give Arthur more support at CM.

Got my First Premier League Win tied up after 37 games
Note the Goals scored

Xnfx41D.png

Wow that's outrageous! Looks suicidal but fair play - even Berahino can't not score with that kind of talent around him.

WSCWolf

Reaction score
Wow that's outrageous! Looks suicidal but fair play - even Berahino can't not score with that kind of talent around him.

Lol your not wrong

QeS9D73.png

(his previous 2 seasons look bad, but he was like Andre Silva in real life, only scores in europe, this screen only shows league)

Won player of the season and top goal scorer.

Also if you dislike Berahino, you'll hate this,

Fh9siIR.png

What annoys me most, is I the manager who's won the Prem and the Europa, is still only an Icon.

gullykular

Reaction score
Lol your not wrong

QeS9D73.png

(his previous 2 seasons look bad, but he was like Andre Silva in real life, only scores in europe, this screen only shows league)

Won player of the season and top goal scorer.

Also if you dislike Berahino, you'll hate this,

Fh9siIR.png

What annoys me most, is I the manager who's won the Prem and the Europa, is still only an Icon.
I'm amazed you persisted with him for so long to be honest - I'd have got rid of him!

WSCWolf

Reaction score
I'm amazed you persisted with him for so long to be honest - I'd have got rid of him!
Mainly due to Home Grown rules, Brexit on my save is 17 player foreign limit, so need 8 home grown players or under register, (i.e can have 6 but only a 23 man squad)

Got back in the squad due to injuries and suspensions, started scoring so he kept his place pretty much all season

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
Mainly due to Home Grown rules, Brexit on my save is 17 player foreign limit, so need 8 home grown players or under register, (i.e can have 6 but only a 23 man squad)

I got the same Brexit!

Lawley Wolf

Reaction score
Bit of advice please. Just bought Max Romero, so need a work permit. So is it better to farm him out on loan for 2 seasons in Spain/Portugal, or put him in the Seniors and make him available for the U23's. Training facilities and coaches better at Mol, so assume he would progress better staying? Or is he good enough anyway that 2 seasons in Europe would be a safer option? Cheers.

Sign him anyway, wait until he will accept a new contract - he'll get a work permit with the new contract.. might be a glitch but its been working for me

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
Aren't those the PL rules anyway? From memory it's 25 man squad with 8 HG players and 4 from your own academy or something like that?

But there’s a 17 foreign player limit. Whether they’re U21 or not.

Reaction score
Sign him anyway, wait until he will accept a new contract - he'll get a work permit with the new contract.. might be a glitch but its been working for me

Spot on mate, it worked, bizarre but successful, cheers! Another glitch, a bit like the lack of set piece goals I guess. So theoretically, could you purchase a heap of 16 year old wonderkids from South America, and they eventually count as "homegrown?"

justanotherwolf

Reaction score
Finally promoted as Champions and immediately signed Boly, Vinagre, Jota and N'DIaye, all for cheaper than their buyout clauses except for Vinagre. Strangely feel as if the squad is good enough to cope with staying up without too much strengthening.

I have Moussa Marega and looking to integrate Niall Ennis into the squad, with Florinel Coman on his way too, but could do with a top class centre-back or central midfielder on loan from somewhere to complete the side - any ideas?

You're at the same stage as me! I also bought Marega for the championship and have just bought Coman as competition but also got Tammy Abraham on loan from Chelsea.

For central midfield, Grujic at Liverpool looks an amazing prospect and should be available for loan. Pineda looks great and available for a few million so I'm hoping to sign next summer. Fellaini also became a free agent but I had cashflow issues at the time so he went to Stoke! They got him for free and 35kpw wages...

For CBs, both Phil Jones and Calum Chambers were transfer listed on mine so I've signed one and trying to sign the other. The wages are high but both took a cut from their current salary on my game. Also will help towards HG count for years. Jones obv a risk with his injuries but Chambers was a steal at £7m ish

D

daveazzopardi

Only just caught this thread! I’ve been doing my Wolves save over on YouTube so if any of you wanna see my progress I guess you can check it out on there!

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
@justanotherwolf Grugic is partnering Neves in my save. He’s great as he has a good passing range, and scores some great long shots sometimes.

Try, if possible, to get Rob Holding instead of Phil Jones. If not, sticking with Coady might be a good option. I’ve just sold him after winning the Premier League, for £10M, and up to his last couple of games, he almost always performed well. Just in the end he gave away some stupid penalties and his CA changed to a “leading Championship player” so that was my cue to sell him.

gullykular

Reaction score
@justanotherwolf Grugic is partnering Neves in my save. He’s great as he has a good passing range, and scores some great long shots sometimes.

Try, if possible, to get Rob Holding instead of Phil Jones. If not, sticking with Coady might be a good option. I’ve just sold him after winning the Premier League, for £10M, and up to his last couple of games, he almost always performed well. Just in the end he gave away some stupid penalties and his CA changed to a “leading Championship player” so that was my cue to sell him.

I've gone down the Grujic route on loan and hopefully will get Patrick Cutrone in. Think people overlook the fact we have Ruben Neves, Diogo Jota and Helder Costa. All ready made PL players on the game so placing faith in them and working to get Ronan MGW and Bright firing on PL cylinders.

Lawley Wolf

Reaction score
Spot on mate, it worked, bizarre but successful, cheers! Another glitch, a bit like the lack of set piece goals I guess. So theoretically, could you purchase a heap of 16 year old wonderkids from South America, and they eventually count as "homegrown?"
No probs. I'm not sure on the homegrown thing, I've signed 2 players that I really wanted this way, but the homegrown due date isn't showing, despite both being under 18 when they signed and when they signed new contract, probably another glitch. Is it showing for you?

Reaction score
No probs. I'm not sure on the homegrown thing, I've signed 2 players that I really wanted this way, but the homegrown due date isn't showing, despite both being under 18 when they signed and when they signed new contract, probably another glitch. Is it showing for you?

Same thing mate, no dates showing at all, glitch. I got a bigger problem though. Twice in the space of a week the game has just frozen for no reason. Second time especially annoying as I'd just beaten Man U in extra time in the League Cup! Nothing would get the game to advance so all I could do was switch it off at the wall and start again. Does anyone know if this is a common occurrence, and if so, is there a patch/remedy?

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this is a common occurrence, and if so, is there a patch/remedy?

It might be something to do with your computer or your save? It’s happened to me before, but it’s usually just my computer as opposed to the game.

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
I've gone down the Grujic route on loan and hopefully will get Patrick Cutrone in. Think people overlook the fact we have Ruben Neves, Diogo Jota and Helder Costa. All ready made PL players on the game so placing faith in them and working to get Ronan MGW and Bright firing on PL cylinders.

Yeah, all three of those come into the PL playing well in the right system. I just sold Helder Costa to Everton for £35M, after 3 seasons in the Premier League. He was very often injured unfortunately, and after winning the Champions League, his value skyrocketed so I cashed in.

BarryM

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yeah, all three of those come into the PL playing well in the right system. I just sold Helder Costa to Everton for £35M, after 3 seasons in the Premier League. He was very often injured unfortunately, and after winning the Champions League, his value skyrocketed so I cashed in.

£60m to Chelsea ;)

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
Hey guys, been a while.

I've just begun my 4th Premier League season, and won the Community Shield and UEFA Super Cup before my first game of the season, against Crystal Palace.

Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 6.26.14 AM.png

Here's my summer business:
Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 6.14.32 AM.png

As you can see I didn't bring many people in. Sanches, Ødegaard, and El Azab go straight into the first team, while Weiss and Passlack will be options off the bench. Ampadu and Chalobah provide cover in case of injuries, and are English, so they help me with registration rules.

The most important piece of business was getting my key performers tied down to long contracts once again. After Dembélé's incredible season of 49 goals in 51 games, all of Europe's biggest clubs were after him.

Finally, here's a look at my squad:
Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 6.32.40 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 6.32.48 AM.png

Reaction score
Pretty happy dressing room, Winners are Grinners! Where do you play Sessegnon? He's playing AML for me, but if he doesn't play every game, he becomes Zsa Zsa Gabor getting a parking ticket. Like to get rid, but huge potential and home grown.

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
Pretty happy dressing room, Winners are Grinners! Where do you play Sessegnon? He's playing AML for me, but if he doesn't play every game, he becomes Zsa Zsa Gabor getting a parking ticket. Like to get rid, but huge potential and home grown.

He plays AML for me as well, but he’s behind Pulisic in the pecking order and he knows it. He just became homegrown at the club though, so I’m going to stick around with him.

Reaction score
He plays AML for me as well, but he’s behind Pulisic in the pecking order and he knows it. He just became homegrown at the club though, so I’m going to stick around with him.
Had another offer of 48m turned down for Pulisic, so I think I'll have to stick with Cryin' Ryan! Dembele went to Arsenal for 58m, but has not started in 10 League games, so might make a cheeky bid in Jan 2020. I think my game is confusing GBP with the old Italian Lira...

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've started up my fm16 again.

Started up unemployed, ended up at Wrexham in the Conference a few months in. With them bottom of the league. Shipping goals and also the lowest scorers.

Coming to the end of the season, shipped a few out on frees to balance the books and brought in Jamie Cureton on a free, age 40. Scored 4 in 3 in the FA Trophy but hasn't done much else. Can't play another game or he'll get an extention. Still got 10 ish games to go in the season and I'm in the FA Trophy final. Currently 9th, point behind 8th but miles off the rest. Probably would be in the play offs if I was there at the start.

Really enjoying it for a change. Can't figure out how to stop conceding set plays and early crosses to the back post mind. All I do is play defensive or counter and mainly train defense and defending set pieces.

Reaction score
Stupid question time. Last time I played FM was the 2009 version and there was a search window on the top right with a magnifying glass and you could basically enter either a player's name or club or part thereof, click on the mg and it would list all the applicable players or clubs relating to that name. Does FM 2018 have a similar tool, and if so, where is it? Cheers.

gullykular

Reaction score
Stupid question time. Last time I played FM was the 2009 version and there was a search window on the top right with a magnifying glass and you could basically enter either a player's name or club or part thereof, click on the mg and it would list all the applicable players or clubs relating to that name. Does FM 2018 have a similar tool, and if so, where is it? Cheers.

You can search by clicking the title at the top of the screen. For example, if you're on your Inbox, click on Inbox at the top and you'll be able to search for anything you like.

gullykular

Reaction score
Any tactical recommendations for newly promoted team in the PL? Finding myself losing by the odd goal very often. Playing a 4-3-3 with a DM and wide forwards, which is great on the counter and got a few good results, but just need to turn a few defeats into draws. Patrick Cutrone is excellent but misses too many chances and Grujic isn't having the desired impact either, Signed Ruben Dias on loan though who is excellent.

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
Any tactical recommendations for newly promoted team in the PL? Finding myself losing by the odd goal very often. Playing a 4-3-3 with a DM and wide forwards, which is great on the counter and got a few good results, but just need to turn a few defeats into draws. Patrick Cutrone is excellent but misses too many chances and Grujic isn't having the desired impact either, Signed Ruben Dias on loan though who is excellent.

Here you go, mate. This is the tactic that got me winning and set me on my way to the Premier League title the second season:

Screen Shot 2018-01-23 at 4.30.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-23 at 4.30.39 AM.png

It's very high intensity and you'll have lots of players booked. Whenever that happens, tell them to ease off tackles and try to replace them at halftime, or right away if needed. Opposition player instructions are to always close down, always mark tightly, and show onto weaker foot.

Against teams who were around my level, I would play control, or standard, and if I scored a goal, I would set it to counter. Sometimes the wingbacks might not work, so it's okay to pull them back to fullbacks on automatic if that works better for you.

Against the big teams, I used to go defensive, and waste time, with a more direct approach.

Hope this helps :) Best of luck!

gullykular

Reaction score
Here you go, mate. This is the tactic that got me winning and set me on my way to the Premier League title the second season:

View attachment 3519

View attachment 3520

It's very high intensity and you'll have lots of players booked. Whenever that happens, tell them to ease off tackles and try to replace them at halftime, or right away if needed. Opposition player instructions are to always close down, always mark tightly, and show onto weaker foot.

Against teams who were around my level, I would play control, or standard, and if I scored a goal, I would set it to counter. Sometimes the wingbacks might not work, so it's okay to pull them back to fullbacks on automatic if that works better for you.

Against the big teams, I used to go defensive, and waste time, with a more direct approach.

Hope this helps :) Best of luck!

It looks outrageously adventurous, especially considering all 3 of your midfielders are playmakers. I guess the high press allows you to swarm over teams but you can't have a weak link in the chain there at all! I don't think I've got the quality of players necessary for that to work in my mind. Mostly still the Championship squad but I'll get it set up as a back up tactic and try it in a cup competition to see how we do. Props to you if it goes well!

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
It looks outrageously adventurous, especially considering all 3 of your midfielders are playmakers. I guess the high press allows you to swarm over teams but you can't have a weak link in the chain there at all! I don't think I've got the quality of players necessary for that to work in my mind. Mostly still the Championship squad but I'll get it set up as a back up tactic and try it in a cup competition to see how we do. Props to you if it goes well!

Yes, the midfield is mostly meant to swarm the opposition and win the ball back simply by pressuring. Ronan used to do very well as one of my RPMs, while Neves used to be my DLP. Jota was my left IF, and Costa/Cav were on my right. This is the tactic where Bonatini worked really well for me, since he’s a very good false 9, and links up well with the wings. Let me know how it goes!

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
@gullykular this is the system I use now, mate.

Screen Shot 2018-01-23 at 6.20.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-23 at 6.20.54 AM.png

If the pass into space and run at defense instructions aren't working, I take them off and go control sometimes. However, this tactic won me the quadruple (Premier League, League Cup, FA Cup, Champions League) with an attacking mindset, so it all depends on your players. I've used this in a counter mentality sometimes, and it works well too because of the pass into space instruction that gets those quick passes forward.

gullykular

Reaction score

View attachment 3521

View attachment 3522

If the pass into space and run at defense instructions aren't working, I take them off and go control sometimes. However, this tactic won me the quadruple (Premier League, League Cup, FA Cup, Champions League) with an attacking mindset, so it all depends on your players. I've used this in a counter mentality sometimes, and it works well too because of the pass into space instruction that gets those quick passes forward.

You see I see that and I wonder how it would work setting your team to narrow but playing with wingers and exploiting the flanks? Seems like a slight contradiction to me. Although the results clearly suggest otherwise!

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
You see I see that and I wonder how it would work setting your team to narrow but playing with wingers and exploiting the flanks? Seems like a slight contradiction to me. Although the results clearly suggest otherwise!

The narrowness is more for the defense, and as a whole when we don’t have the ball. As soon as we get the ball back, it’s out to the wings and they exploit that space as much as possible!

gullykular

Reaction score
The narrowness is more for the defense, and as a whole when we don’t have the ball. As soon as we get the ball back, it’s out to the wings and they exploit that space as much as possible!

I'll bow to your superior knowledge and expertise on this game! Cheers for the advice. I'll feedback soon...

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
Tough group. We were 1st seeds, but guess who was 2nd? Barcelona... I guess there's no easy group in the Champions League.

Screen Shot 2018-01-23 at 6.55.44 AM.png

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

View attachment 3521

View attachment 3522

Do you get your wingers to switch positions during the games? You used to be able to set it as an instruction for players in previous versions, but I haven’t tried it on this one.

I’m still in my first season, but I’m thinking of setting that if possible so they do it automatically throughout the game. With the new personalised roles you can give players in certain positions (might not be new to this version, but I haven’t played since FM14), I’m think of getting Costa and Cav to switch sides thoughout the game and switch between the inside forward and winger roles. Just to shake up what the defence is facing.

Not sure if that is possible or if anyone has tried and had any success with it.

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
Not sure if that is possible or if anyone has tried and had any success with it.

I only did it when I played Costa and Cavaleiro, since Jota doesn't play on the right wing unless you retrain him. Now I play Jota through the middle, and I get Pulisic and Cavaleiro to switch wings regularly. It's still an option if you go under player preferences.

Back
Top Bottom