Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Football Manager 2018

gullykular

Reaction score
He’s grown a slight beard ;)

Just kidding. Here you go - check out those cup game stats!
View attachment 3339 View attachment 3340
Great progress - but no international recognition? Amazed by that given his Irish under age caps. Where do you tend to play him? I'm trying to give him, Bright and MGW as much change to develop as possible but they almost get in each other's way.

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
Great progress - but no international recognition? Amazed by that given his Irish under age caps. Where do you tend to play him? I'm trying to give him, Bright and MGW as much change to develop as possible but they almost get in each other's way.

He got called up for the England preliminary squad but didn’t make it after cuts were made. In FM17 he always used to play for Ireland. I’m really not sure why they haven’t called him up. It’s just a matter of time.

I play Ronan as an advanced playmaker behind an advanced forward (Dembélé). My formation is a couple of pages back. Sometimes I play him further back as a CM-S or DLP-D whenever Neves gets booked.

Morgan Gibbs-White is barely starting to play for me now, since I’ve farmed him out on loan for a while. I did the same to Bright and it absolutely stunned Bright’s growth, who I sold to Millwall for £1.1M. MGW has been decent so far. A good option off the bench, and still counts as U21 so don’t have to register him in my Premier League list of 25.

gullykular

Reaction score
He got called up for the England preliminary squad but didn’t make it after cuts were made. In FM17 he always used to play for Ireland. I’m really not sure why they haven’t called him up. It’s just a matter of time.

I play Ronan as an advanced playmaker behind an advanced forward (Dembélé). My formation is a couple of pages back. Sometimes I play him further back as a CM-S or DLP-D whenever Neves gets booked.

Morgan Gibbs-White is barely starting to play for me now, since I’ve farmed him out on loan for a while. I did the same to Bright and it absolutely stunned Bright’s growth, who I sold to Millwall for £1.1M. MGW has been decent so far. A good option off the bench, and still counts as U21 so don’t have to register him in my Premier League list of 25.

Bright's my rotation option for Jota at the minute as he always seems to pop up with an important goal. Ronan I'm struggling to find a place for but he's training to be a DLP and MGW is just back to fitness and assisting off the bench regularly. Ditched the 3-4-3 unless I want to play on the counter and 4-2-3-1 works very nicely, especially for Jota and Costa.

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
Bright's my rotation option for Jota at the minute as he always seems to pop up with an important goal. Ronan I'm struggling to find a place for but he's training to be a DLP and MGW is just back to fitness and assisting off the bench regularly. Ditched the 3-4-3 unless I want to play on the counter and 4-2-3-1 works very nicely, especially for Jota and Costa.

Bright was awful for me so I loaned him out and he was awful out on loan, too. Just one of those things! He’s currently got a 6.79 average rating for Millwall in 30 appearances. Only 1 goal and 3 assists.

Ronan is great for me since I taught him to play one-twos and try killer balls often. That made him into a great attacking midfielder for me. He plays right behind our striker when Jota needs a rest and tends to get important assists.

Ennis is the one I regret selling but he was just hampered by injury so much.

North Bank

Reaction score
Connor Ronan... I love you to bits. Scored a 121st minute winner in the League Cup final. A frustrating game. We gave away two penalties, and were losing 3-2 until deep into stoppage time, when a Ronan header allowed Dembélé to blast the ball into the back of the net and send us into extra time. Overload works wonders sometimes :D
View attachment 3336 View attachment 3338

They're the games that used to have me up until the early hours. I never want to turn it off after a game like that.

I'm currently hitting the January window in my 2nd season. Had to renew Neves and Costa's contracts after City and Liverpool were swooping around. Neves now has a release clause of £64mil and Costa has made 10 appearances for Angola so has wages of £78k/week... the international clause was put in when he was still down as Portugese!

gullykular

Reaction score
Bright was awful for me so I loaned him out and he was awful out on loan, too. Just one of those things! He’s currently got a 6.79 average rating for Millwall in 30 appearances. Only 1 goal and 3 assists.

Ronan is great for me since I taught him to play one-twos and try killer balls often. That made him into a great attacking midfielder for me. He plays right behind our striker when Jota needs a rest and tends to get important assists.

Ennis is the one I regret selling but he was just hampered by injury so much.

That's interesting - never paid too much attention to preferred moves but looks like it's working well for you. Want to get my laptop out asap now seeing the way Ronan goes!

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
Costa has made 10 appearances for Angola so has wages of £78k/week... the international clause was put in when he was still down as Portugese!

Costa has a solitary cap for Portugal in my save. Despite getting injured quite often, he’s got some impressive stats. I thought about selling him to bring in a new winger, but I’m too attached to him and Cavaleiro. Pulisic plays on the left, Jota/Ronan behind the striker, and Costa/Cavaleiro on the right.

I also have Ryan Sessegnon and Erik Lamela for cover.

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
That's interesting - never paid too much attention to preferred moves but looks like it's working well for you. Want to get my laptop out asap now seeing the way Ronan goes!

Preferred moves are part of what makes a player great! Also, tutoring goes a long way. Sometimes you can get an older player to teach a younger one some of his preferred moves. Edwards used to be a great tutor for Ronan. You can also use a player to influence a younger one’s mentality, making them more professional, ambitious, et cetera. Once you start getting good regens, you might often get some “unambitious” or “lacks self-belief” ones, and this is where tutoring does wonders!

gullykular

Reaction score
Preferred moves are part of what makes a player great! Also, tutoring goes a long way. Sometimes you can get an older player to teach a younger one some of his preferred moves. Edwards used to be a great tutor for Ronan. You can also use a player to influence a younger one’s mentality, making them more professional, ambitious, et cetera. Once you start getting good regens, you might often get some “unambitious” or “lacks self-belief” ones, and this is where tutoring does wonders!

Yeah I've done a lot of research on that, it's just I've had experience of teaching preferred moves before and I don't see it in action when they play which is frustrating. The mentality thing I agree with. Determination is almost number 1 trait for me in a player.

justanotherwolf

Reaction score
Three games to go in the first season and I've reached 100 points :D So it's still possible to get the record points haul but wierdly I haven't yet won the title - boro are already on 92 points as well. Marega, Cav and Jota have all been sensational for me.

I play the reasonably similarly to Nuno (Coady and Saiss the other way around to this pic) with Cav instructed to roam:

I have a big dilemma in terms of do I stick with this side for the Prem or try and get re-inforcements?
To those who managed to get Jota, did you try and sign him as soon as you won the title or wait until the end of his loan? Even though he's going to cost me the full £15m I really want to sign him!
As for the other loans, I'm undecided on Boly - he's mostly been great but made a mistake and then had 5 quite poor games in a row plus I don't want him to obstruct Hause's development.
Bonatini has looked fine on his few opportunities but he's not really a 'defensive forward' and Marega has been so good that he hasn't had a chance so I won't be signing him. Porto want £66m to make Dalot's loan permanent lol so he also won't come.
I'd love Vinagre as well but if I manage to get Jota I won't have the budget and I got Ryan Sessegnon on the cheap anyway. Villareal only want £1.3m for N'Diaye so I'm having him.

Therefore I just need a right wingback and a striker as a quality alternative to Marega. Unless Iorfa/Graham can be made into great wingbacks? Unfortunately Moussa Dembele was bought by Barcelona (!) and that Pellegri bloke was bought by Milan so I'm not sure who to get as a striker - I want someone young and physically imposing but affordable - any suggestions?
Thanks!

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
@justanotherwolf I signed Jota as soon as I got the money from promotion. Try to enquire about him first. Usually the selling team will accept a lower figure than the one you have agreed to.

I did sign Bonatini, and he was very decent for me. I’ve just sold him to Hertha BSC for £8M so I made a profit on him. He’s a very good false nine in my opinion.

I would recommend Aleksander Isak. He’s been a very good rotating option off the bench for me. Bangs in the goals when needed. Also, try Ennis!

And do keep Iorfa. He’s still my starting RB. It’s my third year in the Premier League and he’s got a 7.32 average. He’s being watched by Southgate as well, so might be capped by England soon.

North Bank

Reaction score
Costa has a solitary cap for Portugal in my save. Despite getting injured quite often, he’s got some impressive stats. I thought about selling him to bring in a new winger, but I’m too attached to him and Cavaleiro. Pulisic plays on the left, Jota/Ronan behind the striker, and Costa/Cavaleiro on the right.

I also have Ryan Sessegnon and Erik Lamela for cover.

I've got Ronan out on loan with Portsmouth (As well as Ennis and another youngster), usually play Jack Price behind Neves and N'Diaye in midfield. May start playing an attacking midfielder instead against lower teams.

justanotherwolf

Reaction score
@justanotherwolf I signed Jota as soon as I got the money from promotion.

Thanks for the advice, I might just get a striker then, my scouts have beeb instructed to look at loads including Isak. I suggested £12.5m for Jota and At Madrid just said the offer was unacceptable, no negotiation, so its going to be full price or not at all...

North Bank

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, I might just get a striker then, my scouts have beeb instructed to look at loads including Isak. I suggested £12.5m for Jota and At Madrid just said the offer was unacceptable, no negotiation, so its going to be full price or not at all...

I offered £10mil after the first season and it got rejected so I let it go. My scouts have recommended him in Jan of second season and he's transfer listed for £11mil.

B

Bicesterwolf

Jota is well worth the full fee. I sold him to city in about my 5th season for 89mil.

I'd also sign Pinamonti if you get the chance. I got him with the Jota money and he scored 102 goals in 2 years.

justanotherwolf

Reaction score
Jota is well worth the full fee. I sold him to city in about my 5th season for 89mil.

I'd also sign Pinamonti if you get the chance. I got him with the Jota money and he scored 102 goals in 2 years.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Sorry but I had to post this - I FM'd FM!

With anything but a combination of us losing and boro winning giving us the championship title, I played a B team to get the younger players some experience and help keep the fringe players happy. We were playing poorly but that all changed when Marshall got himself sent off with 20 mins to go.

Suddenly I was getting chances and then on 84 mins MGW, starting for the first time, receives a perfect through-ball from Bright and smashes the ball into the corner of the net! Then as the clock ticked onto 90, MGW picks up the ball on the edge of the box, hits an 'audacious half volley' that goes straight through the keeper's hands for 2-0!
upload_2018-1-11_22-52-19.png

Pretty ridiculous tbh, if only it could happen this way round in a game that meant something...

BarryM

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Keep Iorfa

He was my first choice right back ahead of Doherty until Man Utd came calling and brought him for around £28m.

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
So after beating Monaco in the 1st round knock out of the Champions League, we got drawn against Barcelona. 1st leg at the Nou Camp...

With Messi missing through injury, Barça battled to a 2-1 win. That away goal gave me a glimmer of hope however.

So the return leg, at Stoke City's stadium, since Molineux is being expanded...
I decided to attack from kick-off. Might as well play an entertaining game for the home fans, right?

Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 4.47.36 AM.png

Piqué's own goal sent us to extra time, 3-3 on aggregate. After Luke Shaw's stupid red card, I went 4-2-3, very similar to our current formation, and played defensive with a more direct approach... and it paid off massively in extra time, since Barcelona's defenders seemed unable to cope with Cavaleiro and Dembélé's speed!!

Now, we got drawn against PSG, who I beat 3-2 at home in the group stages, and then lost 4-1 away. Hopefully they'll have as much of a fixture congestion as me! :eek:
Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 4.58.34 AM.png

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
So I've been playing all night...
It's the last few matches of the season, but some of the most important ones.

First, I beat Manchester City in the FA Cup semi final. The final will be against Middlesbrough, who beat Arsenal in extra time.

Then the matches against Arsenal and Manchester United. I beat Arsenal 4-2, but United, led by Guardiola, beat me soundly, 2-0.

Then the Champions League fist leg semifinal, at home...
Due to the success of my current tactic in an attacking form, I decided to keep it going, and going all out against PSG:

Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 7.26.20 AM.png

And then came a match against Huddersfield. I needed a win to ensure the Premier League title, since Chelsea lost 1-0 against Bournemouth, courtesy of Benik Afobe.

Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 6.59.42 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 6.57.34 AM.png

Then the second leg against PSG. I played a counter mentality in this one, since I only needed a draw or a low scoring loss.
Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 7.23.47 AM.png

So now I'm through to the Champions League final, against either Bayern Munich, or Bayer Leverkusen, who eliminated me from the Europa League semis last season.

And a week before that, is the FA Cup final against Boro. I could potentially do a quadruple here, and my season's expectations was to make it out of the Champions League groups and to reach Europe in the Premier League again! :eek:

justanotherwolf

Reaction score
So I've been playing all night...
It's the last few matches of the season, but some of the most important ones.

First, I beat Manchester City in the FA Cup semi final. The final will be against Middlesbrough, who beat Arsenal in extra time.

Then the matches against Arsenal and Manchester United. I beat Arsenal 4-2, but United, led by Guardiola, beat me soundly, 2-0.

Then the Champions League fist leg semifinal, at home...
Due to the success of my current tactic in an attacking form, I decided to keep it going, and going all out against PSG:

View attachment 3405

And then came a match against Huddersfield. I needed a win to ensure the Premier League title, since Chelsea lost 1-0 against Bournemouth, courtesy of Benik Afobe.

View attachment 3407
View attachment 3406

Then the second leg against PSG. I played a counter mentality in this one, since I only needed a draw or a low scoring loss.
View attachment 3408

So now I'm through to the Champions League final, against either Bayern Munich, or Bayer Leverkusen, who eliminated me from the Europa League semis last season.

And a week before that, is the FA Cup final against Boro. I could potentially do a quadruple here, and my season's expectations was to make it out of the Champions League groups and to reach Europe in the Premier League again! :eek:

Cavaleiro starring in a champions league semifinal for us, and they say FM is getting more and more realistic..... ;P

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
The FA Cup final was harder than I thought. We were hardly ever in much trouble, but Boro defended well and gave us a few scares. In the end, our quality shone through.

Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 5.18.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 5.19.03 PM.png

I think Bayer beating Bayern in the semis handed me the Champions League. Despite them having eliminated us in the Europa League last season, they were never BETTER than us. It was all pretty level, and with Dembélé and Pulisic in the team this time, Wolves came out on top. Perfect season.

Screen Shot 2018-01-13 at 2.10.27 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-13 at 2.12.06 AM.png

Reaction score
Nice work! The financing on my game appears to operate in a parallel universe to everyone else! I'm at the same stage you picked up Dembele and Pulisic (start of 3rd season, 2nd in the Prem) and you guys paid approx 20m for Dembele and 13m for Pulisic. Lyon rejected my 45m bid for Dembele, Dortmund rejected 27.5m for Pulisic. Leon Clarke awaits...

WSCWolf

Reaction score
UoYvhAt.png

Nuno Rumored for the Barca job on my Save.

Won the Europa and finished 3rd in 21/22 season

Finished 3rd then 6th then 3rd again, building for a push on the Title,

I got Alexander Isak on recommendations from this thread, £45 mill, board and fans thought it was a poor signing at that price.

In 33 league games 25 goals and 21 assists (broke the assist record) 7.78 average rating

Need to play the Barnsley game still, if I win I think I get to within a point of the real life tally. Cue 0-0

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
In 33 league games 25 goals and 21 assists (broke the assist record) 7.78 average rating

He's amazing! You paid a lot for him but I'm glad he's doing well. I paid about £15M for him, I think. I just tend to pick up people when they're listed or unsettled.

gullykular

Reaction score
Caveleiro isn't really firing for me but Costa, Jota and Bright are immense. Bright in a fight with Jota and Neves for Young Player of the Year. Gibbs-White and Ronan coming on nicely. Finally clinched the title so building for next season.

North Bank

Reaction score
Recalled Ronan from his loan and played him and Gibbs-White in the FA Cup 3rd round v Bristol City. 5-1 win, they both got a goal and an assist each. Iorfa has now replaced Doherty at right back. Sitting 7th in the Prem and fending off Bayern Munich interest for Neves.

Reaction score
Bit of advice please. Just bought Max Romero, so need a work permit. So is it better to farm him out on loan for 2 seasons in Spain/Portugal, or put him in the Seniors and make him available for the U23's. Training facilities and coaches better at Mol, so assume he would progress better staying? Or is he good enough anyway that 2 seasons in Europe would be a safer option? Cheers.

gullykular

Reaction score
Finally promoted as Champions and immediately signed Boly, Vinagre, Jota and N'DIaye, all for cheaper than their buyout clauses except for Vinagre. Strangely feel as if the squad is good enough to cope with staying up without too much strengthening.

I have Moussa Marega and looking to integrate Niall Ennis into the squad, with Florinel Coman on his way too, but could do with a top class centre-back or central midfielder on loan from somewhere to complete the side - any ideas?

BarryM

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Finally promoted as Champions and immediately signed Boly, Vinagre, Jota and N'DIaye, all for cheaper than their buyout clauses except for Vinagre. Strangely feel as if the squad is good enough to cope with staying up without too much strengthening.

I have Moussa Marega and looking to integrate Niall Ennis into the squad, with Florinel Coman on his way too, but could do with a top class centre-back or central midfielder on loan from somewhere to complete the side - any ideas?

Coman is class ... can be picked up cheap aswell.

Ennis won’t be ready just yet if your still early in the game.

I picked up Jesus Vallejo from Madrid fairly cheaply (on loan first) ... good centre back

Dayot Upemecano is class but might cost you too much ... I had to pay £45m in my 3rd season.

Scout America a lot as they have some great regen wonderkids.

gullykular

Reaction score
Coman is class ... can be picked up cheap aswell.

Ennis won’t be ready just yet if your still early in the game.

I picked up Jesus Vallejo from Madrid fairly cheaply (on loan first) ... good centre back

Dayot Upemecano is class but might cost you too much ... I had to pay £45m in my 3rd season.

Scout America a lot as they have some great regen wonderkids.

I've had a lot of success bringing through Ronan, MGW and Bright, so hopeful Ennis will follow suit. He's always done well for me in previous games too. Coman was frustratingly stubborn in my first season and now ended up paying £3m more for him just by being in the Prem. Wouldn't negotiate with me in the Championship. Upamecano is a pipe dream for me right now as the budget has virtually gone barring the sales of Miranda and a couple others. Cavaleiro could be a decent earner - only scored 1 for me in the Championshop.

gullykular

Reaction score
Bit of advice please. Just bought Max Romero, so need a work permit. So is it better to farm him out on loan for 2 seasons in Spain/Portugal, or put him in the Seniors and make him available for the U23's. Training facilities and coaches better at Mol, so assume he would progress better staying? Or is he good enough anyway that 2 seasons in Europe would be a safer option? Cheers.

Pretty sure they won't be able to play in the U23s either, plus I've never found players develop well with the U23s. Any promising players i promote to the first team immediately. Dan McKenna is a surprise on my game and looks promising.

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score

I usually loan out my players who don’t get work permits. They either develop really well and come back to play if they get a permit, or I sell them for a profit without having ever played for Wolves. It’s a win-win. Just make sure the team that loans them pays their full wages and if possible a loan fee!

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
but could do with a top class centre-back or central midfielder on loan from somewhere to complete the side - any ideas?

See if you can get Kalaica on loan. He won’t be AMAZING, but he’s a good option, and since he’s on loan from Benfica, he won’t cost you anything. Should be U21 too, so not going to take a space up for squad registration.

For a CM, see if Chelsea got Mario Pasalic available for loan. He tends to be farmed out on loan and eventually sold, but he’s a pretty solid option. Scores some screamers too!

gullykular

Reaction score
See if you can get Kalaica on loan. He won’t be AMAZING, but he’s a good option, and since he’s on loan from Benfica, he won’t cost you anything. Should be U21 too, so not going to take a space up for squad registration.

For a CM, see if Chelsea got Mario Pasalic available for loan. He tends to be farmed out on loan and eventually sold, but he’s a pretty solid option. Scores some screamers too!

Chelsea always good for a loanee or two - totally forgot about the Benfica relationship!

Back
Top Bottom