Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Fond memories of Christmas games.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Enjoyed Arsenal away, delayed 24/48hrs due to tube strikes. Ended all square, great game by Hennessey and we had 10 men due to Milijas's horrendous red card.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
A day which started with a fond memory, and ended with a not so fond memory, looking back, memorable non-the-less.
Being at Old Trafford, seeing a 4-0 defeat to a Manchester United star studded side in full flow, in front of 63,450 on Boxing Day 1967.
Before the match Derek Dougan stepped out of a side door to see the crowd outside, saw me wearing a Wolves scarf, and chatted to my dad for a minute or two.
I asked The Doog for his autograph, he duly obliged, signing on the back of a Bingo Card which I still have to this day.

Deak77

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another Christmas game against Reading,not the Hoddle one,but in 2015 under Jackett,we won 1-0 on Boxing Day but God knows how,James Henry scored for us,but they absolutely peppered us all game and couldn't score. One of those 4 wins over that Christmas period that probably went a long way towards keeping us up that season, just before Afobe got sold.We were pretty dreadful from January onwards.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This one. Tranmere's biggest post-war league crowd at the time, and that was under reported.
They were charging something stupid like £7.50 cash and they didn't have enough change, so the police ordered the gates to be opened because the match had kicked off and it was getting a bit nasty (yes...post Hillsborough).
I'd just reached the front of the queue so walked in for free just as my mate came through the turnstile having paid his money.
You can see from the footgage just how packed it was behind that goal.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remember going to Stockport and losing 3-2 on Boxing Day. Wracked off.
Remember going to Oldham and losing 4–1 on Boxing Day. Wracked off.
Remember going to Swindon and losing 1-0 on Boxing Day. Wracked off.
Was at all those. Swindon was wettest I had ever been up until Braga last year.

I’m sure the Stockport one their striker (can’t remember his name) turned up about half hour after kick off, came off the bench and scored a late winner. Unless my minds playing tricks with me.

hankin

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
3-1 home win v Leeds 1977 - think we may have been 1-0 down - electric atmosphere
I waited outside the players entrance after this to get players autographs. Joe Jordan was standing outside on his own chatting to fans and was an absolute gent considering they had just lost. He had a fearsome reputation at the time on the pitch.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did all 3 of those games... Coldest I've been at a game Oldham...

Kenny Hibbitt is my hero

Reaction score
Not quite so fond a memory but I remember Brighton at home on a Friday night just before Christmas in the season we won the League Cup. Cold as you like and a Peter Ward hat-trick as we got beat 3-1.

Lawndog

Reaction score
3-1 home win v Leeds 1977 - think we may have been 1-0 down - electric atmosphere

Yeah, remember that game!.....1-0 down at HT to a Leeds side 4th in the table while we were struggling after 3 heavy defeats in a row.....attacking the SB 2nd half JR equalised and it was, literally, one-way traffic!!....Martin Patching had a goal disallowed before making it 2-1........then, in the dying moments Richards was put thru, one on one with the keeper......3-1, game over!!!

Our 1st win against Leeds since May 1972!......quite possibly, all things considered, my favourite Wolves game!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's a pattern there.... You were a bloody jinx on Boxing Day, lol...

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All kicked off in the South Bank that day. Was bloody glad that l was in the North Bank. Went with my old man by coach from Shropshire. A mouthy Leeds fan on the coach on the way there saying that he wanted a scrap... Said guy had two black eyes and what looked like a broken nose on the way home....

Last edited:

Lawndog

Reaction score
All kicked off in the South Bank that day. Was bloody glad that l was in the North Bank. Went with my old man by coach from Shropshire. A mouthy Leeds fan on the coach on the way there saying the he wanted a scrap... Said guy had two black eyes and what looked like a broken nose on the way home....

Yeah, seem to recall most of the Leeds fans had left/been chased out well before the end!

wwfc9

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Boxing Day in the 1990s played Oxford United twice in consecutive years. 3-1 and 1-1 I think?
Remember beating them 2-1 Boxing Day maybe 1994 , we was 1-0 down till the 89th minute and won 2-1 , think Thommo with a pen and maybe cookie with the winner ...

wwfc9

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good call. That match is often in my mind, as it was my first time in Sir Jack's completed Molineux, it looked great.
Was sat In the Billy Wright stand, and as you say the ground went mental, Christmas period 1993.
I put a post about this and said 94 but your right Xmas 93 pretty sure it was Boxing Day , couldn’t remember who got the winner put def was a thommo pen for the equaliser ..

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I’m sure the Stockport one their striker (can’t remember his name) turned up about half hour after kick off, came off the bench and scored a late winner. Unless my minds playing tricks with me.
Swindon hammered it down, but you’re right it wasn’t as bad as Braga!

Just YouTubed the Stockport game. Ian Moore came off the bench and scored 2. Can’t believe that was 21 years ago. Remember going like it was yesterday.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I put a post about this and said 94 but your right Xmas 93 pretty sure it was Boxing Day , couldn’t remember who got the winner put def was a thommo pen for the equaliser ..
Paul Cook scored the penalty equaliser. Keen winner. Mad scenes.

wwfc9

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remember beating them 2-1 Boxing Day maybe 1994 , we was 1-0 down till the 89th minute and won 2-1 , think Thommo with a pen and maybe cookie with the winner ...
It was actually cook with the penalty and keen with the winner !! Not as late as first thought either ,85th and 86th minute , I was only 11 on the newly built south bank though !! Seems so long ago but can still picture it like yesterday ...

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not quite an Xmas game but does anyone remember Spurs in the FA Cup when it had been heavily snowing? Roughly 97/98. 12 years old, beginning to understand the difference between Prem players and Div 1, with my toes dropping off.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not quite an Xmas game but does anyone remember Spurs in the FA Cup when it had been heavily snowing? Roughly 97/98. 12 years old, beginning to understand the difference between Prem players and Div 1, with my toes dropping off.
Replay, we’d done well at WHL, Ruel Fox ****ed all over us at Molineux.

Lou Pine

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This one. Tranmere's biggest post-war league crowd at the time, and that was under reported.
They were charging something stupid like £7.50 cash and they didn't have enough change, so the police ordered the gates to be opened because the match had kicked off and it was getting a bit nasty (yes...post Hillsborough).
I'd just reached the front of the queue so walked in for free just as my mate came through the turnstile having paid his money.
You can see from the footgage just how packed it was behind that goal.

Wasn’t that Neil Masters’ debut? Remember it being packed on the terrace. Wolves fans were throwing a ball that had been kicked into the crowd during the warm up at the scoreboard, trying to break it.

What a strike from Bully! I remember him getting a similar one at Stoke away around the same time in another 1-1 draw. The terrace that day seemed even more packed than Tranmere’s.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Port Vale away, in between Xmas and NY of 1997. Standing on the terraces, freezing and raining.

Thankfully, we won 2-0. But the conditions were horrendous.

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The Swindon on was a last minute goal as well. Iffy Onura.

Soaked through and to make it worse, I lived in Wiltshire back then.
The pub was worse than the game. (Mouthy sods were a bit quieter in following seasons however)

D

Deleted member 7862Bler

I remember losing 2-0 away at Hereford on Boxing Day 1986. We were 14th after that game but then went on a run to get into playoffs which had been re-introduced that year.

Those were the good old days of matches being played on Boxing Day and not 7pm 1 or 2 days later.

D

Deleted member 7862Bler

Bristol Rovers away at Twerton Park on Boxing Day 1988. We drew 0-0. We were all over them but were denied a win by an outstanding display by a young goalkeeper called Nigel Martyn who would go on to play for England.

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

Eastville, Bristol to see us win 5-1 in 1976.
I was going to put that. I was about 13 and went with dad and his mates and couldn’t get in. Watched some of the game from the motorway elevated section near the ground (along with 100s of other wolves fans)...

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Swindon on was a last minute goal as well. Iffy Onura.

Soaked through and to make it worse, I lived in Wiltshire back then.
The pub was worse than the game. (Mouthy sods were a bit quieter in following seasons however)
Brize? Shrivenham?

Back
Top Bottom