Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

First 3 games played well & nowt, next 3 games not great & 6 points

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The way it goes sometimes. Today was two poor sides or at least sides in poor form, last week we were awful. We were OK against Watford though.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we continue to take points from those we expect to be around come the end of the season, we will be absolutely fine.
Hopefully January will see one or two incoming and just lift us to the point where Brunoball plays teams off the park and we score the goals our dominance deserves (like we should have seen in those first three games).

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
I still can't figure out what have happened to the Brunoball performances against Spurs and Man United. It's some of the best football I've ever seen us play. I'm over the moon with our wins against Watford and Southampton, but I really thought we would carry on playing like that and give someone a good thrashing. We were amazing but it's suddenly disappeared almost as if it never happened.

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I still can't figure out what have happened to the Brunoball performances against Spurs and Man United. It's some of the best football I've ever seen us play. I'm over the moon with our wins against Watford and Southampton, but I really thought we would carry on playing like that and give someone a good thrashing. We were amazing but it's suddenly disappeared almost as if it never happened.

Need a few points on the board and I'm sure it will return

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could be argued we might have picked up 9 points in the last 3 and won by greater margins if we'd played the same way we played in the first 3.
Id be disappointed if Bruno turns into Nuno and takes the cautious, safety first approach.

Pintandkebab

Reaction score
Could be argued we might have picked up 9 points in the last 3 and won by greater margins if we'd played the same way we played in the first 3.
Id be disappointed if Bruno turns into Nuno and takes the cautious, safety first approach.
The writing will be on the wall if he does . As Nuno went due to Fosun not happy with 13th and the football was boring towards the end.

So if Bruno does think like this then I think he will be gone by December .

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno has been sussing the league and his squad out up to now.
He's made a good decision to be a bit more pragmatic of late to get some points on the board.
Change of style needs to be an ongoing process not one that is done by a flick of a switch.
Bruno is showing adaptability, which is a very positive sign.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that Bruno has had to adopt a more pragmatic approach with our squad in order to try to get some points on the board. Didn’t work against Brentford or first half against Spurs (cup) but did work yesterday.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We should be on 3 points more if it wasn’t for Mike Dean.

The last 2 performances have been dreadful plus spurs in the cup.

Ait nouri simply has to start the next match for marcal, as does neves for moutinho.

ToastedWanderer

Groupie
Reaction score
Brutal reality is we're 3 points behind where we were this time last season and we ended up 13th, so there's a bit of catch up to do. However, we stagnated last season, which cost us points after January, which I think will be key to this season too. A better window with some fresh legs for the business end of the season and we should be fine..

woop woop barmy army

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The results Leicester Spurs and United have got since playing us have been poor. Think we put these teams on a higher pedestal than needed.

Yes performances wise was good. But at present do we take results over performances?

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We really need to combine the two now and get a win with a good performance, especially at home. Hopefully, Saturday is the day it all clicks.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the confidence drained a little by not scoring and losing. There aren’t enough new players in the team so the players who played under Nuno will subconsciously go to what they know when not playing well. It will take time but Bruno will undo the years of drilling into them and repetition from the past few years.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The writing will be on the wall if he does . As Nuno went due to Fosun not happy with 13th and the football was boring towards the end.

Hmmn, boring and 13th or super exciting and 19th. I wonder which Fosun would be happier with?

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the confidence drained a little by not scoring and losing. There aren’t enough new players in the team so the players who played under Nuno will subconsciously go to what they know when not playing well. It will take time but Bruno will undo the years of drilling into them and repetition from the past few years.
Agreed
Yesterday showed the players dropping more into the Nuno style,which i have no problem with away from home
If we can combine the two styles playing more adventurously at home im fine with that
The problem is once we start getting results playing in a certain way its difficult to flick the switch to something different,and thats where i believe we will struggle,caught between two stools so to speak

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First 3 we played against good sides, next 3 have been against rubbish, so you don't need to be great to win.

Exactly. It's not only about us. Though Brentford aren't playing like rubbish at the moment.

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brutal reality is we're 3 points behind where we were this time last season and we ended up 13th, so there's a bit of catch up to do.
We're also 2 points better off than we were after the first six games of the 2019-20 season, a season when we finished 7th, kept out of 6th place by goal difference only. Which shows that the only brutal reality is that it is impossible to accurately call how a season will pan out purely on the basis of the first six games!
Wolves after 6 games in EPL.PNG

Last edited:

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Confidence in sport is massive, they will be a different animal now after that win.

You'd like to think so. But the win against Watford was a far better performance than yesterday...and we followed it with a poor performance against Brentford. If anything, we looked quite complacent and over-confident against Brentford. Until they scored, when we went into a panic because that wasn't in the script.

Individual confidence will be boosted for Raul, of course. Same for the back 3, after a couple of dodgy games. The rest? Can't see Podence/Hwang/Semedo and especially Marcal feeling any more confident after yesterday. Though Ait-Nouri can feel confident that if he keeps fit, he'll be playing ahead of Marcal.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is very difficult to play a high-press, dynamic, upbeat game when confidence is low. We started well, didn't get the results and as confidence dropped slipped back into last season's pattern. With 6 points, Raul well on the way back and more time training with Bruno I can see results and performances continuing to improve.

Unless of course Jeff listens to the Mix and sacks Bruno if we are not top 6 by December. :rolleyes:

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The first 3 games were far more enjoyable.

As fans we need to stop this 'must win game' short term low attention span attitude that consumes the current game.

Performances will be much more important in the long term for us.
Extremely true, but that's a culture that won't change over night.

I know my perspective has changed a lot over the years and the performance is more important than the result for me, but this can only hold sway for so long, winning ugly has a time and a place.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We're all doomed!

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Extremely true, but that's a culture that won't change over night.

I know my perspective has changed a lot over the years and the performance is more important than the result for me, but this can only hold sway for so long, winning ugly has a time and a place.
Agreed, both styles needed. Liverpool and City win ugly at times, it's that ability to recognise what is needed on the day that makes the top clubs.

PulverWolf

Reaction score
I think the reason we played well in the first three games was mostly down to the fact these teams set up to play forward for 90 mins and we can play progressive football without meeting 10 at the back for 90% of it . Yesterday we looked great to the final third but when threading balls through a packed defence it proved difficult and looked pretty poor.

ToastedWanderer

Groupie
Reaction score
On the flip side we're 2pts ahead of where we were this time in the 2019/20 season and we ended up 7th.
Indeed, and as I went on to say, we should make up that ground when we stagnated last season. Do you think we'll finish 7th this season?

Last edited:

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno football wasnt called boring while jimenez and jota were scoring for fun then along came adama who had to be accomodated into the first team. Inconsistency and running up blind alleys became 2nd nature before jimenez worked out an understanding with adama and the football World became a happy spot for the Wolves fan as success in the league and Europe came along.
Covid, a succession of injuries and the departure of Doc and jota took its toll on our form and suddenly sections of the fan base reacted badly to the difficulties brought about by the extraordinary circumstances surrounding us all. The dream crumbled as Nuno was eased out and a novice manager arrived in the form of Bruno with the promise of super attacking success. Bruno wasn't backed by the recruit section but he got the team to play some pretty but ineffective stuff. Now we're scrappy and trying to grab a few points from the lower ability squads around us.
The highlight of the season by some distance was served up yesterday in an otherwise dreary showing by Raul who scored a truly brilliant goal to get the points. We have lots of questions still to be answered by our present management.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno football wasnt called boring while jimenez and jota were scoring for fun then along came adama who had to be accomodated into the first team. Inconsistency and running up blind alleys became 2nd nature before jimenez worked out an understanding with adama and the football World became a happy spot for the Wolves fan as success in the league and Europe came along.
Covid, a succession of injuries and the departure of Doc and jota took its toll on our form and suddenly sections of the fan base reacted badly to the difficulties brought about by the extraordinary circumstances surrounding us all. The dream crumbled as Nuno was eased out and a novice manager arrived in the form of Bruno with the promise of super attacking success. Bruno wasn't backed by the recruit section but he got the team to play some pretty but ineffective stuff. Now we're scrappy and trying to grab a few points from the lower ability squads around us.
The highlight of the season by some distance was served up yesterday in an otherwise dreary showing by Raul who scored a truly brilliant goal to get the points. We have lots of questions still to be answered by our present management.
While i agree with what you say in general,our form was poor well before Jota and Doc left

Back
Top Bottom