Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Find Wolves a stop-gap #9 cover for the rest of the season

Pseudonym

Groupie
Reaction score
Calling all football manager disciples and budding football scouts.

The brief

Wolves are still flying close to P&S limits — with their current table position (relative safety) plus notoriously difficult January transfer window, are highly unlikely to sanction the type of spend to find their desirable long term #9.

The assumption

With all mitigating factors outlined, Wolves would prefer to wait until Summer for a more equitable transfer period, a wider pool of players and money available to spend on a permanent #9 — and will explore the short-term loan market only as a stop gap solution.

The task

Find Wolves a stop gap, #9 cover for the next 5 months — a loan (no obligation) — where the player could feasibly be able leave their current club in the January window.

And no this isn’t Matt Hobbs or Jeff Shi typing this before all the heroes pipe up.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Might it be finally time to actually sign Chris Wood?

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Here's the thing: what level of participation are the club really looking for from a new acquisition? I don't think the team are so desperate for a 9 that anyone with a pulse goes straight into the first 11. Are we talking a first sub kind of player? Or are we really just saying "in case of injury," because nobody worth a damn is coming in on a short term loan just to sit on the Wolves bench in case of emergency.

Pseudonym

Groupie
Reaction score
Here's the thing: what level of participation are the club really looking for from a new acquisition? I don't think the team are so desperate for a 9 that anyone with a pulse goes straight into the first 11. Are we talking a first sub kind of player? Or are we really just saying "in case of injury," because nobody worth a damn is coming in on a short term loan just to sit on the Wolves bench in case of emergency.

I think this is precisely the predicament

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We should be getting Mendes to get us Simon Banza from Braga on a loan obligation... Gestifute player and Braga always need the money.....if they wow budge.....then give us Abel Ruiz on loan option then.....

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Calling all football manager disciples and budding football scouts.

The brief

Wolves are still flying close to P&S limits — with their current table position (relative safety) plus notoriously difficult January transfer window, are highly unlikely to sanction the type of spend to find their desirable long term #9.

The assumption

With all mitigating factors outlined, Wolves would prefer to wait until Summer for a more equitable transfer period, a wider pool of players and money available to spend on a permanent #9 — and will explore the short-term loan market only as a stop gap solution.

The task

Find Wolves a stop gap, #9 cover for the next 5 months — a loan (no obligation) — where the player could feasibly be able leave their current club in the January window.

And no this isn’t Matt Hobbs or Jeff Shi typing this before all the heroes pipe up.
Before we go to all this trouble looking, will Jeff actually take our advice?……otherwise, what’s the point ?
And is there a reward?

sorry….I get really bored and mischievous during international breaks

bully306

Reaction score
I thought we have money to spend in the summer.

So why not just get a striker we actually want on a january loan with purchase in summer?

I dont know who though

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure we need a player to make up the numbers. Hwang and Cunha are scoring goals. We are not really playing with a 9. Sarabia, Neto, Bellegarde, Fraser. I personally think we have enough options in a season where no matter what we do we are likely to finish between 8th and 13th...

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
So it’s a short-term loan to act as cover with no option or obligation?

Only ones I can think of are Firmino and Ings. But both would be huge wages.

From those previously linked…Kieffer Moore? Danny Loader? Neither would be an improvement on what we’ve let go in Sasa and Fabio.

Very slim pickings as I can’t imagine many clubs will let any half-decent striker go at this stage of the season without an option or obligation to buy at the end of it.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we could afford Firminio, I think he'd be an outstanding addition. Pipe dream mind for so many reasons.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hugo Duro or Ryan Hardie either would offer us something different.

Hardie, 10 goals, 4 assists, 22 games
Duro, 9 goals, 2 assists, 21 games

Last edited:

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's going to be no one get a result against Brighton they are going to be like well we are good. With palace and forest losing we are starting to gap the bottom. They think they have enough here to challenge looking up in regard to hwang neto etc.

Let's see

If it's a loan cover I would not take ings.

Pseudonym

Groupie
Reaction score
So it’s a short-term loan to act as cover with no option or obligation?

Only ones I can think of are Firmino and Ings. But both would be huge wages.

From those previously linked…Kieffer Moore? Danny Loader? Neither would be an improvement on what we’ve let go in Sasa and Fabio.

Very slim pickings as I can’t imagine many clubs will let any half-decent striker go at this stage of the season without an option or obligation to buy at the end of it.

I think that’s right Tring. Would it be fair to assume clubs would also likely apply a premium for the loan to buy given the January timing inconvenience for them and allowing the payment terms we desperately need?

Another factor in trying to have the money be as effective as possible

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have to be sensible if any movement it will be late in window with a player throwing toys on the bench of another team who wants to get minutes

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely every club has this predicament , unless they only have one number 9 . And we don't really have any number 9 .
Sasa and Silva have left to join the ranks of backups elsewhere . From a small sample size of Wolves strikers.
Number 9 being shorthand for a physical leader of the line or a target man .

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gon wants a starting 9 with cunha to play 10 and float or a second striker. We won't fix it without going big so surely we wait to summer and use Fraser

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd take Wilson if he's available

Newcastle have also rejected a loan enquiry for England striker Callum Wilson from Atletico Madrid but could sell the 31-year-old if a permanent offer is made

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Surely every club has this predicament , unless they only have one number 9 . And we don't really have any number 9 .
Sasa and Silva have left to join the ranks of backups elsewhere . From a small sample size of Wolves strikers.
Number 9 being shorthand for a physical leader of the line or a target man .
Everyone wants a decent 9 because they're so rare. Can't really get them on the cheap.

So then what? A making up the numbers tweener in the Sarabia/Cunha/JRB/Hwang vein? Are the club really just looking for another attacking type who can follow directions and press? Nathan Fraser is the current floor there, and I don't think he's so awful you can't carry him for awhile (unlike Fabio, who was very poor structurally whenever he played and just couldn't control his emotions enough to not pick up stupid fouls and bookings etc).

If a string of awful luck happens and the club are down Hwang, Neto, and Cunha for the season (let's say), I still don't think they're getting relegated. What does "need" mean here in terms of trading off on a better player in the summer?

Now to go knock on wood.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Why is there only one Monopolies Commission? Oh sorry, I thought this was the random thoughts thread?
Are there often multiple of a single commission? Perhaps there is a Monopolies Commission, and MonopoliesCommission, Monopolies Commission (1), and Monopolies Commission FINAL (1).

Do wolves need a starter or a change of pace? Is Hwang going to come back healthy? What if Cunha needs a break?

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd take Wilson if he's available

Newcastle have also rejected a loan enquiry for England striker Callum Wilson from Atletico Madrid but could sell the 31-year-old if a permanent offer is made

Why?

23/24Calf injuryDec 26, 2023-26 daysNewcastle United4
23/24Hamstring injuryNov 7, 2023Dec 8, 202331 daysNewcastle United6
23/24Hamstring injurySep 24, 2023Oct 7, 202313 daysNewcastle United4
22/23Corona virusNov 1, 2022Nov 11, 202210 daysNewcastle United2
22/23Hamstring injuryAug 21, 2022Sep 25, 202235 daysNewcastle UnitedEngland7
21/22Calf injuryDec 27, 2021May 1, 2022125 daysNewcastle UnitedEngland20
21/22Hamstring injuryAug 30, 2021Oct 17, 202148 daysNewcastle UnitedEngland10
20/21Hamstring injuryMay 8, 2021May 25, 202117 daysNewcastle United3
20/21Hamstring injuryFeb 7, 2021Apr 4, 202156 daysNewcastle UnitedEngland10
20/21Hamstring injuryJan 4, 2021Jan 11, 20217 daysNewcastle United1
20/21Hamstring strainNov 7, 2020Nov 26, 202019 days

Brockmoorwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not sure we need a player to make up the numbers. Hwang and Cunha are scoring goals. We are not really playing with a 9. Sarabia, Neto, Bellegarde, Fraser. I personally think we have enough options in a season where no matter what we do we are likely to finish between 8th and 13th...
Shh makes too much sense...

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We don't need anyone- frankly we are well overstocked up front compared to other areas of our squad.

We currently have 3 forward positions, with the expectations that they will all be relatively interchangeable. We have Cunha, Hwang and Neto as our first choice so only really need Sarabia if one of them is injured- just like Santi is the only back-up to Dawson, Kilman and Toti in our defence. We don't need more than that- we have got kids or can change formation.

Might as well let JRB go and prove himself in Spain (Ligue Un is a farmers league after all) and let Fraser go to Shrewsbury. Why do we need Fraser? Sasa and Fabio got no minutes- he too needs to go out and get minutes.

And another striker? Don't you know we've got no money and January is notoriously difficult to do business (even if we did get 6 signings last January)? For me, we would probably need to move on Sarabia, JRB and Fraser to even make signing a striker worthwhile.

Last edited:

Mardenboroughs Shoulder

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Are there often multiple of a single commission? Perhaps there is a Monopolies Commission, and MonopoliesCommission, Monopolies Commission (1), and Monopolies Commission FINAL (1).

Do wolves need a starter or a change of pace? Is Hwang going to come back healthy? What if Cunha needs a break?
Do the blue smarties send you hyper or did you take the red one and find out how deep the rabbit Warren goes?

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Honestly? At this point, I don't even really care if we get one. We're pretty safe from any chance of a relegation battle. I'd rather keep whatever money we have for a bigger splash in the summer than blowing a bunch of it on a player we don't really need.

We've been scoring like crazy all year without a real #9. Let's just keep it up.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We don't need anyone- frankly we are well overstocked up front compared to other areas of our squad.

We currently have 3 forward positions, with the expectations that they will all be relatively interchangeable. We have Cunha, Hwang and Neto as our first choice so only really need Sarabia if one of them is injured- just like Santi is the only back-up to Dawson, Kilman and Toti in our defence. We don't need more than that- we have got kids or can change formation.

Might as well let JRB go and prove himself in Spain (Ligue Un is a farmers league after all) and let Fraser go to Shrewsbury. Why do we need Fraser? Sasa and Fabio got no minutes- he too needs to go out and get minutes.

And another striker? Don't you know we've got no money and January is notoriously difficult to do business (even if we did get 6 signings last January)? For me, we would probably need to move on Sarabia, JRB and Fraser to even make signing a striker worthwhile.

No way are we well overstocked in the forwards. We are pretty thin in most areas apart from fullback and Goalkeeper really. Relying on Hwang and Neto to stay fit when both have had their fair share of injuries, minor and major is a huge risk, and having to play them week in week out is also asking for trouble. Fraser may be ok, but it would be better if we could bring in at least 1 forward capable of playing anywhere across the front line.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Newcastle are apparently willing to sell Callum Wilson.

Back
Top Bottom