Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Fifty years ago

H

harrywolf

Call me a sad old fart but I was there 50 years ago to the day when the late greats Billy Wright and Stan Cullis led us to the title.

And I was there yesterday when we won promotion and more or less clinched the title.

It felt just as good and just as emotional. I shed a few tears as I looked back on over 50 years as a Wolves fan and remembered what a part of my life they have been.

My sister and I grew up as fans in the kids' pen in the old Cow Shed End having been introduced to the Wanderers ( as he called them) by our grandad.

My big sis will be coming up from London for the Doncaster game and will wear the scarf our grandad wore at the 1949 FA Cup final.

We are proud to be Wolves fans and part of a football family that we believe is unique.

Yes those were the days, my friends - but these are the days we should cherish too.

We are Wolves - let's rock the Premier League.

HICKO

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Call me a sad old fart but I was there 50 years ago to the day when the late greats Billy Wright and Stan Cullis led us to the title.

And I was there yesterday when we won promotion and more or less clinched the title.

It felt just as good and just as emotional. I shed a few tears as I looked back on over 50 years as a Wolves fan and remembered what a part of my life they have been.

My sister and I grew up as fans in the kids' pen in the old Cow Shed End having been introduced to the Wanderers ( as he called them) by our grandad.

My big sis will be coming up from London for the Doncaster game and will wear the scarf our grandad wore at the 1949 FA Cup final.

We are proud to be Wolves fans and part of a football family that we believe is unique.

Yes those were the days, my friends - but these are the days we should cherish too.

We are Wolves - let's rock the Premier League.

What a cracking post. The Wolves are back............keep the faith.

I

It's Mixu Paatelainen

Top post, fantastic hangover cure. Brilliant.

H

harrywolf

While I am feeling a bit nostalgic here is a little bit of a history lesson for you young whippersnappers.

That '59 season we won the league by six points from Man U and Matt Busby was first to send a congratulatory telegram to Stan Cullis. We scored 110 goals and conceded just 49.

We won it with a 5-0 againstLuton on April 18 and finished the season with a 1-0 win at the Mol over Everton. That turned out to be Billy Wright's last season for the Wolves and my mom cried her heart out.

The following season Burnley beat us on goal average for the title and we won the FA Cup otherwise we would have beaten Spurs to the double. They did it a year later.

Back then we would "sing and dance forever and a day."

History lesson over.

JUst got back from shopping at Morrison's in Kingswinford and ran into loads of fans wearing Wolves shirts. Looked great in the summer sunshine. Lots of smiling and hugging and kissing. Good to be alive.

We are Wolves.

Last edited by a moderator:

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well done Harry and thank you for the history lesson. After many years of failure the club may at last be getting its act together again. Hallelujah!

H

Hatch End Wolf

1949 FA Cup.

1959 1st Division Football League

2009 1st Division Football League..........well ok that's cheating a bit!

Anyway, have we now got wait until 2119 for our next big win?

O

oldwulf

Thanks for the reminder of those great memories, Harrywolf. I was also there in 58/59 and again yesterday. Just some small corrections: the 5-0 v Luton was at home and we finished 1-0 away to Everton. And I think Burnley pipped us by a point in 59/60 after we had thrashed them 6-1 at Molineux a few weeks prior to the end of the season. Fantastic that we repeated a title win (because we WILL be champions) exactly 50 years later.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yup, those corrections are correct! Watched he 5-0 rout of Luton as a 10 year old sitting on the 'wall' behind the goal on the old South Bank on a brilliant sunny day, just like yesterday. We clinched the league for certain the following Wednesday night against Leicester at Molineux, 3-0, when he Championship Trophy was presented in the Directors Box to Billy Wright, with fans on the pitch like they were yesterday. Then the final game was a 1-0 win over Everton at Goodison (Jimmy Murray (RIP) scoted the goal).

D

Dewsburywolf

Do you want to edit that BSK just in case there's some computer hackers reading this. ;) :)

Bull Army

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We clinched the league for certain the following Wednesday night against Leicester at Molineux, 3-0, when he Championship Trophy was presented in the Directors Box to Billy Wright, with fans on the pitch like they were yesterday.

wolves59.jpg

O

Oyvay

If you read that Mirror report it says that after the Leicester game which clinched the title in 1959, the spaker blared The Happy Wanderer. If that song was good enough then, it is good enough now. Far better than the turgid anthem they tried to get us singing on Saturday.
Also liked the report of the Army Cup Final on the same page which says the First Battalion of the Royal Scots led 2-0 but the Queen's Royal Lancers "crushed the Jocks" with six goals. Bet the politically correct mob would not allow that phrase these days.

P

Paul76

I love all this old history, it's fantastic. Harry, ask your Sister if she wants to sell me that vintage scarf? ;)

A

Atlas 1951

If you read that Mirror report it says that after the Leicester game which clinched the title in 1959, the spaker blared The Happy Wanderer. If that song was good enough then, it is good enough now. Far better than the turgid anthem they tried to get us singing on Saturday.

They played it over and over again when we won the old third division title. It was a bit embarrassing to tell you the truth.

I

It's Mixu Paatelainen

They played it yesterday as well. And before the Southampton game.

A

axlerod

It was a great time to be a Wolves supporter and hoefully those days will be with us again.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Christ on a bike! I never thought I'd ever see a newspaper cutting of that again! I've got the Pinks from the 1949 and 1960 Cup Final wins but not that one -- well done for keeping it!:):):)

M

Mister Rabbit

Christ on a bike! I never thought I'd ever see a newspaper cutting of that again! I've got the Pinks from the 1949 and 1960 Cup Final wins but not that one -- well done for keeping it!:):):)

Never mind the football, have you seen the 'Jane' strip on that page? Absolute 1950s filth :p

leedswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's excellent BSK. I thoroughly recommend it.

ROVERT47

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm 55 i don't remember much from those days apart from once being in the Soutbank with my Dad and spending the whole game seeing very little.
What really did it for me on Saturday was seeing my two sons 28/31 witness something (play off final excepted) that they have never been able to enjoy in all their years.

Bull Army

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

I haven't got the paper, unfortunately. However, I have got access to the entire Daily Mirror archive, so I can read almost any article since 1903 :)

Any requests? :)

Back
Top Bottom