Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

FIFA trialling new offside technology

wwfc9

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What’s everyone’s thoughts on this ? I hate var but instant offside calls and seeing the assistants flag rather than wait 2 mins to see if a guy 100 miles away can find something wrong with a goal sounds better to me , will give the spontaneous goal celebrations back to the game and I can finally continue my ritual of looking over to the Lino if I think it’s contentious before going radio rental ... yes from me ...

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
if its automated a bit then it would hopefully speed up the time it takes to decide, but if its the same video feed being used as now it will have the same issues as to how accurately you can actually measure as the current system. e.g frame rate, camera at an angle and not in line with players etc. If it can reliable evaluate the feed within a second or so then it would be an improvement

Scott.Cooper

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The speed at which technology moves, I suspect it will be almost instantaneous in the not too distant future. It will be clever enough to continuously calibrate offsides so there will be no need to find the footage etc.

I work with some AI technology in the form of autonomous vehicles and the tech is available it just needs applying properly.

The only purpose for the assistant ref is to then signal the decision (within seconds of the ball hitting the net) and throw-ins/fouls.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The speed at which technology moves, I suspect it will be almost instantaneous in the not too distant future. It will be clever enough to continuously calibrate offsides so there will be no need to find the footage etc.

I work with some AI technology in the form of autonomous vehicles and the tech is available it just needs applying properly.

The only purpose for the assistant ref is to then signal the decision (within seconds of the ball hitting the net) and throw-ins/fouls.
Can we have some AI refs to go with it please?

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One day we will have robot refs like on robot wars, Hopefully they wont be influenced by all the play acting, There is also the self-fulfilling prophecy effect that often favours the big teams. A robot would surely have given us a penalty or two on Monday.

Bogota Wolf

Reaction score
One day we will have robot refs like on robot wars, Hopefully they wont be influenced by all the play acting, There is also the self-fulfilling prophecy effect that often favours the big teams. A robot would surely have given us a penalty or two on Monday.
Unless it was programmed on Merseyside, of course.... which obviously leads to what a properly programmed terminator ref could do to the likes of Grealish, Kane, Salah and Fernandes.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What’s everyone’s thoughts on this ? I hate var but instant offside calls and seeing the assistants flag rather than wait 2 mins to see if a guy 100 miles away can find something wrong with a goal sounds better to me , will give the spontaneous goal celebrations back to the game and I can finally continue my ritual of looking over to the Lino if I think it’s contentious before going radio rental ... yes from me ...

All they need to do now is for everybody to accept a small margin of error before overruling any decision, like Umpire's Call in the cricket.
The attempts to drill down into cm's are just farcical, when they then do not even bother to refer other incidents that are clearer to the naked eye.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I honestly don't care how they call off-sides, what tech they use, or if it is 100% correct or not. Just do something that is the same for every team and can also be done (relatively) instantly. I think most people would be happy with that.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If it improves accuracy, reduces the time taken to elicit a decision and is fair and equal for all, then it's a yes from me, David.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The one thing is that as near as possible it has to work 100% of the time. If there is a case that in some cases it can't tell or take longer then that would make things difficult for linesmen, they will still be the backup if the system isn't working, but they need to know if they system is live or not otherwise there will be offsides that will be missed, or have large delays whilst linesmen wait for signal, signal doesn't come, but linesman has seen it is clearly offside so has to make the decision and raise the flag

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We have some referees who move like and are shaped like robots

Jon Moss same shape and movement across the pitch as R2 D2 !

Lee Mason lots of arm waving and gestures but no decision making ability C3PO

Mike Dean bares more than a resemblance and has the attitude of Davros Lord of the Daleks !

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If we have robot players we can eradicate diving altogether.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hmm I think we should be using less technology not more
For me it’s not about using more or less technology, it’s about using the right technology.

If this can work as well as goal line technology then I’m all for it. Anything that improves decision making without taking away from the game (I.e. something that is quick and accurate) is a good addition in my eyes.

Bring this in and it takes one more thing out of VAR’s remit. Just let VAR keep an eye on obvious errors with the tech (such as the Villa - Sheffield Utd none goal) but let the tech do what it’s designed to do with minimal intrusion.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unless it was programmed on Merseyside, of course.... which obviously leads to what a properly programmed terminator ref could do to the likes of Grealish, Kane, Salah and Fernandes.
Even under pain of death Grealish would dive, it's just too ingrained in his nature.

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Scrap the whole ****ing thin! Football's been the most popular sport in the world for 100s of years no? Why they feel the need to keep messing with it I don't know.

Maybe they have to justify their existence with so much money floating around?

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
will they be equipped with flame throwers and chainsaws to keep the players in order ?

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Seriously, I reckon a random coin toss decision maker would do just as good a job.

On this new technology for offside...yeah, well, excuse my cynicism, but isn't this going further down the road of "hey, let's use technology to fix the problems created by the previous technology..." in infinite regress. Just wait till a team is relegated because the tech fails. e.g. Villa surviving over Bournmouth last season.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Scrap the whole ****ing thin! Football's been the most popular sport in the world for 100s of years no? Why they feel the need to keep messing with it I don't know.
My brother and I used to argue about technology in the game years ago.

He wanted technology and I didn't, I can remember saying; "I love how it doesn't matter whether you're playing for the nags head on a Sunday morning or in a World Cup Final, the rules are the same".

It was kinda cool that other than the quality of the players, 11 a side football was the same at every level. I miss that.

Berkswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And how would it decide if a player was interfering with play? Or perhaps that won’t matter anymore?

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
'Almost immediately' and 'automated' swings it for me. Rather than these plebs getting rulers out

bilstonwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
'Almost immediately' and 'automated' swings it for me. Rather than these plebs getting rulers out
How true is that likely to be given we were told VAR would only be used for "clear and obvious" errors and would work seamlessly in the background.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How true is that likely to be given we were told VAR would only be used for "clear and obvious" errors and would work seamlessly in the background.
It’s the human element that makes a mess of VAR though. In theory if this has no human element and simply instructs the linesman in real time there is no human element to **** it up. As long as they don’t interfere with it.

Mr Chad

Groupie
Reaction score
And how would it decide if a player was interfering with play? Or perhaps that won’t matter anymore?

Presumably it wouldn't. It would only tell the AR that the player was in an offside position. The AR and/or Ref between them would tyhen decide on interference or not.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
if its automated a bit then it would hopefully speed up the time it takes to decide, but if its the same video feed being used as now it will have the same issues as to how accurately you can actually measure as the current system. e.g frame rate, camera at an angle and not in line with players etc. If it can reliable evaluate the feed within a second or so then it would be an improvement
Nothing short of sensors (worn by players and in the ball) and lasers will be of any use if absolute accuracy is sought. They would have to be working over the pitch as a birdseye, rather than along the pitch, or else players would constantly block the connection.

It would also have to be a network of lasers at least twenty metres above the pitch when the likes of West are playing.

Wandsworth Wolf

Reaction score
It would make it easier if they just simplified the offside rule entirely.

Forget armpits and foreheads.

If the offside rule was determined by the position of the player’s feet then I think all football fans would accept it. It would be a binary decision and at least it would be clear.

So if an attacking player is sprinting forward and his body is in front of the defender but his foot position is behind, then it is giving an advantage to attacking play. Same with, say, a diving header.

The rule would be clear and unambiguous, easy to enforce and I think everyone would accept it.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sad that when I read stuff like this my first thought is "How do Liverpool etc benefit?"

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Made me smile wwfc9, as I too like to go "radio rental" from time to time. Classic!! :):):D:D

Back
Top Bottom