Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

FFP2 - from Martin Samuel in the Daily Mail

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting article on how FFP has not restricted the new clubs overtaking the old clubs they are bringing in FFP2 & if that doesn't work FFP3 in the furture - it doesn't look good for us :mad:

Man City spending fast so they don't fall foul of UEFA | Daily Mail Online

That's a very good piece, and bang up to date. Thanks for posting it.

I dont necessarily agree however with the conclusion. A 90 million cap on transfer losses doesnt
appear to be negative for the new money clubs at first sight if it applies to all clubs. It will presumably
act as any other market restraint and lead to lower fees all round in general, or more player trading
by clubs to allow them to refit squads, or buy a particular star player.

Of course, higher revenue streams then could come in as more influential in the sense that players
would be swayed by wage levels. But if clubs are free to offer what wages they wish and can put in
equity to do that, then isnt the overall effect the same, ie clubs with "new money" can find a way to
compete.

The Premiership in general doesnt operate as in the other big European leagues, with far more
competition at the top end. People might complain about the BiG Six, but six clubs fighting it out
for the title is historically very many. Plus Leicester showed that the Premiership funding in general
also allows for medium size clubs to also mount a successful challenge.

Finally the Mendes model may also be a big plus for Wolves entering these shark infested seas, as it
gives us the possibility to trade players within a given network, rather than just going into direct
competition with the biggest clubs. Also in this way, we seem to be avoiding the worst of the "primadonna"
affect where the influx of too many superstars prevents proper squad cohesion.

The Wolf Of Wombourne

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Would this not have the undesired for UEFA effect of more and more players coming to the premier league? If clubs can't spend the TV money on transfer fees they will end up paying higher wages making it a more attractive prospect for players.

Transfer prices maybe capped to an extent but if a player want's to force his way out 9 times out of 10 times he does, wouldn't this just mean that rather spreading the wealth to other clubs through fee's that it would be spread to the players through wages? Very flawed thinking from UEFA here imo.

W

WasStefan

if this was ever attempted i would think it would mean the bigger clubs breaking away and forming their own alliance

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Finally the Mendes model may also be a big plus for Wolves entering these shark infested seas.

Agree. It gives us the edge over anyone else currently outside the ‘elite’ and therefore a better chance of jointing it!

Loans with options to buy will be the way forward!

D

Deleted member 5910

This remodelled FFP seems ineffectual and even regressive if it is truly about allowing teams to compete on an even keel. With wages no longer a qualifying factor in the losses, the big boys will attract better, higher paid players through their infrastructural wealth and their history of success (in part owing to that financial advantage over less successful clubs).

It's possibly an unlikely scenario, but what if a club were £90m down in transfer fees (bearing in mind an above average defender went for £75m recently), but offset that with relatively low wages and big gate receipts, merchandise, TV and prize money, to ultimately turn a profit? I'm thinking a club like Newcastle might potentially fit such a mould. Why should they be fined for spending within their means?

Seeing as how grotesque the fees are becoming now, I wonder if there's an argument to totally abolish the transfer fee in Football and allow players free movement among clubs in a similar arrangement to most employment laws, as long as they serve a minimum period after signing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This promotion really has to happen this season, or it'll just keep getting harder and harder.

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This would mean that if a player was sold for a similar price of Coutinho e.g. 140m, then to purchase you'd need to shift 50m to just break even!

cookey

In Memory
Reaction score
Nothing seems fair about FFP
I'm sure it seems fair to the HAVES who, in effect, wrote it - but it definitely is not fair to the HAVENOTS & the WANNERBES like Wolves . Like the item says/implies FFP was written to preserve the status quo of the top European teams i.e. Man U, Barca, Real, AC, etc and to stop them being usurped by the nouvo riche i.e. PSG, Man C, and soon us - just like everything else in the world's history the rich/upper classes try to arrange things to keep themselves at the top with everyone else kept down - ohhh gawd there's me getting political again, sorry I'll stop now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom