Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Favourite Stan Cullis Stand Goal(s)

Deak77

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So, following on from the threads on Best FA Cup wins, and Best Away Games, and given that the Stan Cullis is going to be demolished at the end of the season, I thought I'd start a thread on what everybodys favourite goals scored in front of it are. The goals can be league, cup, friendlies, whatever, as long as they were for Wolves in front of the current stand, not the old North Bank. I've only included ones that I saw in person, so there may be a few other classics left out.

10. Kevin Muscat v Ipswich, December 1998
Last minute belter from about 30 yards, must have swerved 2 or 3 times in the air before crashing in off the bar, completely fooled Richard Wright.

9.Robbie Keane v Middlesbrough,November 1997.
Great little move involving Bull and Freedman who flicked a great ball through to Keane who lobbed the keeper brilliantly, to send the high flying Boro crashing.

8.Robbie Dennison v Stoke City, January 1995
Cracking strike from around 20 yards, into the top corner in the last minute, I think anybody who saw it will always remember Robbie just lying flat on his back in celebration.

7.Shaun Newton v Reading, May 2003
Not so much a great strike, but what it meant at the time. Reading were 1 up and it seemed like whatever we threw at them it just wasnt going to be our day. The tension inside Molineux was unbearable, and when Newts finally blasted in the equaliser it was like a huge release of steam from a pressure cooker.

6.Alex Rae v Leicester City, October 2003
The equaliser in the legendary 4-3 comeback, great header, from then on there was only going to be one winner!

5.SEB v QPR, April 2009
Again not a classic strike, but nobody inside Molineux cared as Sylvan rolled in the goal that took us back up to the Premier.

4.Jay Bothroyd v Tesco Town, March 2007
Great opportunist strike by the enigma, sent Molineux mad, a sweet moment after the humiliation of the F.A. Cup match a few weeks earlier.

3.Kenny Miller v Man Utd, January 2004
Anybody who was there will always remember the feeling as the ball hit the back of the net and the scenes of celebration at the end. This one moment was almost enough to make up for the years of defeats to teams like Grimsby, Oxford, Crewe, Stockport etc.

2.Bully v Bradford City, March 1998
Bully had been out injured for about 3 months and started this one on the bench. The whole crowd cheered when Mcghee called him back from his warm up. When the ball came over from Naylor the whole thing seemed to happen in slow motion, as Bully threw himself at the ball, didnt seem to get the cleanest of touches and the ball bobbled 2 or 3 times before going in. I'd had a real bad throat during the day, and was struggling with my voice, but didnt have a voice at all for a good 2 hours afterwards. All the more sweet as our old mate John McGinlay was playing for Bradford.

1.Bully v Birmingham City, March 1996
Crazy game, settled by a classical Bully strike, I remember thinking the angle wasnt good enough to get the shot in, but going mental when the ball hit the back of the net, quite possibly one of the loudest ever Molineux roars.

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great list Deak. Another fav of mine was David Kelly's equaliser against Ipswich in '94. FA Cup 5th round with about 8 mins to go. We went on to win the replay.

DEVIZESWOLVES

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
100% Agree with your number one choice!!!, the ground was half empty but from what I remember it was one of the loudest celebrations ever!, the place went mental!

T

TheBridgnorthWolf

For me it has to be Camara's winner from the Leicester 4-3 game: he turned out to be a horrible little $$$$, but at the time he was loved and it was great to see him finally get on the scoresheet with such a vital goal!

G

grandad_andy

Someone will be able to tell me the scorer but the equaliser against sheff utd in the mid 90's 2-2 draw. We scored 2 goals in added time and I can still remember watching the goals back and the commentator going mental!

Also in the mid 90's was it not that the cross bar was higher at the north bank end than the south bank. Seem to remember central news showing a reel of goals that would not have gone in. One of them being the above mentioned dennison goal.

Last edited by a moderator:

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Someone will be able to tell me the scorer but the equaliser against sheff utd in the mid 90's 2-2 draw. We scored 2 goals in added time and I can still remember watching the goals back and the commentator going mental!

Also in the mid 90's was it not that the cross bar was higher at the north bank end than the south bank. Seem to remember central news showing a reel of goals that would not have gone in. One of them being the above mentioned dennison goal.

Was that the game Neil Emblem went up front and score two?

A

ashfordwolf

Mark Walters curler or Bully getting on the end of Froggatts cross after he ran the length of the pitch v Southend

jonesy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nenad v Bolton last season . . . special!

worc.wolves

Groupie
Reaction score
darren bazeley's against forest? awesome first twenty minutes then pretty naff after that... clip provided below :)

not particularly a memorable strike in terms of meaningfulness (yes i just made that word up) but some strike.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyhgO_WcgR0"]YouTube - Wolves vs Nottingham Forest 1999/2000 (Michael Branch goal!)[/nomedia]

D

Dan dingle

for me it has to be SEB goal against QPR hairs stand up just thinking about it

Lou Pine

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It has to be Bully against Blues for me. It would have still been brilliant whoever had scored it (given that it was a last minute winner in a crazy match against local rivals), but I think fans of a certain vintage will agree that there was always something a bit extra about a Bully goal.

Don't get me wrong, all goals from a bloke in gold are special, but when SGB hit the net it was always a little bit more special.

D

Denmead Wolf

Great original list, but for me it has to be :

Kights 8th May 2011 v Albion.

I know it was a scrappy toe poke, but him coming on and scoring the 89th minute winner that continued our unbeaten run, kept us up, and sent them down all at the same time, was just unbeatable. The fact he was mobbed by every sub and player, even Hennessey, showed what it meant. What a game, what a goal, what a day......

J

Jack

Great original list, but for me it has to be :

Kights 8th May 2011 v Albion.

I know it was a scrappy toe poke, but him coming on and scoring the 89th minute winner that continued our unbeaten run, kept us up, and sent them down all at the same time, was just unbeatable. The fact he was mobbed by every sub and player, even Hennessey, showed what it meant. What a game, what a goal, what a day......

If Bathams did May 8th's...

manc_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great list and memories Deak - and again, agree with your No.1 - my favourite goal ever. Not sure the ground was "half-full" but some had left the ground after devlin's 2nd pen... never ceases to amaze me how people can do that...

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
3 - Bothyoyd v the $$$$. Awesome.
2 - Seb v QPR. Amazing.
1 - Bully v Blues. That one goal pretty much encapsulated Bullys entire Wolves career. Unbelievable.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kenny Miller's goal v Utd and my all time hero Doog's home debut in 197? V Hull (?) my memories gone, when he scored at the North Bank end and we won 4-1. Fantastic game and massive result.

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kenny Miller's goal v Utd and my all time hero Doog's home debut in 197? V Hull (?) my memories gone, when he scored at the North Bank end and we won 4-1. Fantastic game and massive result.

Dougan's debut must have been around 1967? Promotion season. I was too young to go but I remember my friends mother picking up her husband on Waterloo Rd, he got in the car full of it. Me I just thought I wished I'd been in the ground. I think it was 4-0.

D

Deleted member 3604

I enjoyed SEB's recent against Sunderland but for sheer joy it must be Bully's against the Blues. I think my favourite of all time was a piledriver from Zico Palmer, against who I have forgotten.

D

Dewsburywolf

Wasn't Guidioura's goal against Sunderland last game of last season at the North Bank end?

Who was Milijas' pile driver against at the North Bank end?

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
:D I have to admit my brain is full of Wolves. Some people may think it's sad me I just love it :D
I know I'm getting old but it always surprises me on here the memories some of you guys have - dates of games, who scored, in what order, what the weather was like, the pubs visited - amazing!!!!

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know I'm getting old but it always surprises me on here the memories some of you guys have - dates of games, who scored, in what order, what the weather was like, the pubs visited - amazing!!!!

You've still got to come for a pint NNW then I will bore you to death with my memory :D

Deak77

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think because being a passionate football fan involves so much emotion, a lot of it gets stored upstairs, a lot of goals and incidents just seem to get imprinted firmly in your memory. Another thing I've always been able to do is link a great match or big moment with something else that happened in my personal life, on or around the same time, its amazing how the memory works!

Welwyn Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Colin Cameron's headed winner against Man City in October 2003 sticks out for me.

It was our first win in the Premier League and the frustration of all the previous years just seemed to be released as the celebrations were extremely passionate. Even more so than the Man U win that year from my memory!

S

Space Wolf

Not a classic by any means but George Ndah against Newcastle in the FA Cup. Being 2-0 up and getting pegged back, I think everyone thought they might then go on to win. George proved otherwise.

jackdusty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Like a few on here,Bully's last minute winner against blues,immense atmosphere when that went in.

M

MINTY

Kevin Keens tap in in injury time against Oxford in the early 90s to give us a 2-1 win. We had been 1-0 down, Cooky equalised with a peno with 10 mins to go and when Keen scored the winner the place went mad. Remember Keen and Bully jumping into the Stan Cullis. I was about 15 at the time and i'll never forget it.

Back
Top Bottom