Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Favourite grounds in UK

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like a random thread so here goes....my top 5 grounds and why:

Villa Park, I know they're a supposed local rival but it's a big ground with a great big home end, ok so there's too many empty seats, doesn't look like it's been designed on autocad, actually doesn't look like it's been designed at all! Shame they knocked down that old stand opposite the park.

White Hart Lane, 2 tiers all the way round, close to the pitch, 70s look.

Molineux, ok biased but I love the location close to town centre in a bowl. marks off for being so wide & open. Great & rubbish memories.

St James's Park, rubbish away section, but the location next to the centre/ 100s of pubs and sheer size of it is impressive.

City Ground Nottingham, Great location next to the river, interesting stands on all 4 sides, used to give a big away allocation, like the fact the other sports grounds are close. Good night out after!

E

Essex Wolf

Well for me Molineux will always be first but after that and being honest I can't really say.

I mostly enjoy away games but as long as I can get a decent view of the game I don't tend to worry about too much else.

TheRetroChief

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Craven Cottage is my favourite. Lovely walk to the ground through parkland, right next to the river, traditional feel and crazy pitch entranceway. Relatively easy to get to and they somehow manage to have a mixed fans section. Can you ever imagine that happening here?

Last edited by a moderator:

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everton, spurs and Sheffield Wednesday

Yeah I love Hillsborough, it's so dark and bigger than it looks.
Never been to Goodison but the Gladys end always looks good, standing up like a terrace/ south bank. The stand opposite the cameras never looks right, how do you get to the top tier?! I also like grounds where theres not too much corporate boxes and seats like we've done at the back of the north bank.

xbomber

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Always enjoyed walking through Central Park to get to Plymouth's ground.

Always prefer the smaller grounds. The likes of Whaddon Rd, the Memorial stadium, Elm Park and whatever Swindon 's is always seems more authentic than the likes of Old Trafford or City of Manchester, as impressive as they are.

That said... that first glimpse of the Millennium floodlights on Play Off final day in Cardiff. Goosebumps.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Always prefer the smaller grounds. QUOTE]

Yeah I know what you mean, shame so many of those grounds are losing their character and going to out of town sites.....Victoria ground or the Britannia? No contest. Reason for this thread was that our next opponents Brighton are rare that they've got a new ground but it's nowhere near as good as their old ground the goldstone ground.

I think a lot of it has to do with the atmosphere, if a ground is full like the smaller clubs are v Wolves they seem great, and if you can see fans singing all round the ground not just a wall of cardboard cut outs like Ferguson said of OT.

B

Bradders

Sheff Weds has long been a fav of mine.

Used to love Roker Park back in the day.

D

Deleted at request of member 4337

Molineux obviously
I also like traditional grounds
Villa, Everton and Sheff Wednesday and quite like Watford's ground

Hate grounds that are plastic like Ricoh Arena and many others

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Molineux obviously
I also like traditional grounds
Villa, Everton and Sheff Wednesday and quite like Watford's ground

Hate grounds that are plastic like Ricoh Arena and many others

Like the way you've thrown Watford's ground in there, we need to appease as many fans as possible at the moment we're the most hated club in England! But yeah it's ok they've just finally built their 4th stand haven't they? Last time I went the lights went out and a sprinkler started up during the game!
I loved Charlton's ground even though we were rubbish there last time, lots of pubs & proper football area, good away end with a low roof weird old school bogs etc at the back.

C

Chch Wolf

I've always liked St James Park, Anfield and Upton Park.

I used to enjoy Maine Road too, but that was more about it being my first away trip - the first time is always special.

F

FLEET WOLF

Always enjoyed walking through Central Park to get to Plymouth's ground.

Always prefer the smaller grounds. The likes of Whaddon Rd, the Memorial stadium, Elm Park and whatever Swindon 's is always seems more authentic than the likes of Old Trafford or City of Manchester, as impressive as they are.

That said... that first glimpse of the Millennium floodlights on Play Off final day in Cardiff. Goosebumps.

I agree with you about Home Park, Plymouth and that walk. The County Ground at Swindon also has a good feel about it and as someone else has said, Craven Cottage has a great setting and is almost unique in lots of ways.

Baboon

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
1) Spurs (superb atmosphere - a great pity they're moving)
2) Villa (a really traditional feel to the place)
3) Sheffield W. (another traditional ground and plenty of space for away following)
4) Preston (have managed to retain a good feel despite modernisation)
5) Oldham (a dump, but good acoustics at away fans end)

Former favourites: The Baseball Ground and Highbury

Five most disliked:

Bristol City, Liverpool, Gillingham, Portsmouth, Luton

jeb01

Reaction score
I guess you could divide this into "modern" and "traditional" stadiums.

Of the modern ones I'd choose the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff and the Stade de France.

Older grounds with some character - Villa Park; Swindon; Charlton; possibly West Ham.

Least favourite - Ricoh Arena.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ones I have a soft spot for:

The Abbey Stadium, Cambridge Utd. Used to go there a lot when Cambridge were still in the League (saw Wolves 3 or 4 times there in the 80s when we were lower league). Old fashioned, good pies, lovely pub just across the river opposite: The Pike and Eel

The Kassam Stadium, Oxford Utd. Lived half a mile away from it for 7 years. Weird -- only 3 sides to it, 4th is a wall with a car park behind it. It was the finish for the Oxford half-marathon which I did a couple of times.

Bramall Lane. In the 70s another 3-sided ground, 4th side was part of the county cricket ground. Had a mate who was a Blades fan and always liked their supporters better than the arrogant Wednesday=ites.

Craven Cottage. One of the prettiest grounds for early season matches as it's on the Thames and lots of good pubs nearby.

Anfield. I haven't been there since 1973(!!) but I used to go a lot in the 60s/70s when it had a fantastic atmosphere -- always packed, always great humour from the crowd (gone now that Liverpool docks has gone)). Saw some cracking Wolves games there, always defeats though -- 3-2 in 71 and 4-2 the following season stand out in my mind. Watched from the Kop and kept my mouth shut!

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Kassam Stadium, Oxford Utd. Lived half a mile away from it for 7 years. Weird -- only 3 sides to it, 4th is a wall with a car park behind it. It was the finish for the Oxford half-marathon which I did a couple of times.

Bramall Lane. In the 70s another 3-sided ground, 4th side was part of the county cricket ground. Had a mate who was a Blades fan and always liked their supporters better than the arrogant Wednesday=ites.
Went to the old oxford ground, which was terraces and you could barely see the pitch, it was in amongst some £million houses so weird football territory! First away game was bramall lane in the 90s and it had 3 sides then, but I got the buzz as it was such an exciting day. Sheffield is blessed with having 2 real clubs and good grounds, amazing considering the city is prob 1/2 million population.

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Probably shouldnt admit it but thought Reading's is ok.Steep sided and away end not bad prefer it to Southampton's new ground in fact.
Pompey was quite good for atmosphere and the away end didnt have a roof in those days either.

Probably fav for big grounds would be Spurs.

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Everton, Spurs, Liverpool, Villa. Actually also quite like Charlton and would be great if they redid the away end to wrap around like the rest of the ground.

Dislike Swansea - also Man City both appear sterile

Talking about grounds I hate that trend of having steps that the front of the stands and the first row way higher than the the pitch. Watford did that with their new stand and most of the Brazil world cup grounds had that.

C

ChesterWolf

Molineux - Nothing even comes close.

Villa Park - Great mix of the old with the new, big home end, shame the away end is pretty naff.

City Ground - Decent atmosphere in there usually and a great city for an away day.

Steel park Mossley - Think its one of the highest stadiums in the country which gives for some stunning views, old school terrace behind the goal and a club bar with a balcony looking out on to the pitch.

Old Trafford - Absolutely massive ground that still has a lot of character to it.

Brammal Lane - The one ground where I've felt intimidated as an away fan, great noise and felt like their fans were right on top of you.

Dislike - Macclesfield, Altrincham, Etihad, Accrington

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 3518

Of the new grounds Stadium of Light for me, agree with previous posters about enjoying the trip to Fulham, but not sure about the ground.

Worcester Sauce

Groupie
Reaction score
Favourites have gotta be Hillsborough, Vale Park, Fratton Park, St Georges Lane (Worcester City, now gone to developers!!!), Loftus Road, Memorial Ground, Kingsholm (Gloucester Rugby - 8,000 terrace along one side), Headingly (Leeds Rhinos - possibly my favourite), Craven Cottage. Molineux really is a pretty decent ground, don't think we realise how lucky we are.

Most new builds I detest however Reading & Brighton seem to have done an ok job though, as do Rotherham and S****horpe who ironically are already moving from their ''new build'' which was built in the late 80s. Worst ones are Shrewsbury, Colchester (which are both literally identical - pathetic), Coventry, Man City, Middlesbrough, Cardiff, Bolton, Leicester.

I wonder if, in 80 years time fans will be having similar conversations saying ''my favourites have got to be the old school ones like Leicester, Coventry and Cardiff.... got a great retro plastically feel to it and what a great bowl design''... I really hope not.

W

Wolfgang Wolf

the recreation ground, aldershot

blundell park cleethorpes

the hawthornes

only joking, the hawthornes is a dump

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder if, in 80 years time fans will be having similar conversations saying ''my favourites have got to be the old school ones like Leicester, Coventry and Cardiff.... got a great retro plastically feel to it and what a great bowl design''... I really hope not.

I had this football grounds book, almost all the big grounds in the 30s had a stand built by Leitch, always quite similar to each other. But at least that wasn't the whole ground 4 stands. Cant believe Scunny are moving that's ridiculous. Yeah Rotherhams new ground is one of the few upgrades that clubs have moved to, but I don't get the logic in that fans have to drive out to the new grounds, are teenagers going to have to be dropped off every time they want to go to a game? Seems a bit short sighted.

C

ChesterWolf

Favourites have gotta be Hillsborough, Vale Park, Fratton Park, St Georges Lane (Worcester City, now gone to developers!!!), Loftus Road, Memorial Ground, Kingsholm (Gloucester Rugby - 8,000 terrace along one side), Headingly (Leeds Rhinos - possibly my favourite), Craven Cottage. Molineux really is a pretty decent ground, don't think we realise how lucky we are.

Most new builds I detest however Reading & Brighton seem to have done an ok job though, as do Rotherham and S****horpe who ironically are already moving from their ''new build'' which was built in the late 80s. Worst ones are Shrewsbury, Colchester (which are both literally identical - pathetic), Coventry, Man City, Middlesbrough, Cardiff, Bolton, Leicester.

Was there for its last ever game, where are they playing now?

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
the hawthornes

only joking, the hawthornes is a dump

I don't actually mind their ground, its not amazing but they've got a big home end at the brummy rd end, its just a shame its full of Tesco scumbags! And its in the middle of nowhere.

W

wolvesultra

Milmoor was mine, proper ground that!

Dunno now, lets face it the majority are souless corporate lead bowls out of town.

D

Deleted member 4453

I guess you could divide this into "modern" and "traditional" stadiums.

Of the modern ones I'd choose the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff and the Stade de France.

Older grounds with some character - Villa Park; Swindon; Charlton; possibly West Ham.

Least favourite - Ricoh Arena.
Still think finals were better in Cardiff. Wembley just feels and looks dull.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Preston North End, had some brilliant days there

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought P'boro was a great away game with a well positioned ground.

Hate any identikit out of town/middle of industrial estate stadium, ie. Doncaster.

Dudleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Old show ground- S****horpe, we went there twice and we had a large covered end which gave great atmosphere. The ground boasted the first ever cantilever stand in British football.

The Millenium stadium, for obvious reasons, but its a lovely stadium.

The old Hawthorns (70's vintage) great atmosphere for BCD'S and we took up to 12000 !

Charlton now is very good, looks bigger than it is, but the old Valley, that had a 75k capacity, remember playing there in 1977, 17k gate -massive ground.

Either Sheffield ground, feels like a proper game when you go there.

D

Deleted member 3545

being bias St James Newcastle impressive ground in the city center with a great night life.

Back
Top Bottom