Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Fanzone

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we all agree, the current 'fanzone' is, well, just a glorified car park.

My idea would be to buy the Feathers back from the uni. There's land to the front and lots to the left. There's potential there to make it a really British fanzone. You open up the areas around as a beer garden / fanzone, and do all the fanzone-y stuff but in a legacy fan sensitive way. The 1940s building is still in tact so why not? I know this is way down most people's priorities but I think it'd be a bostin addition to the Molineux environment.

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s easier and cheaper to hire in a temporary portable bar than it would be to revamp and then maintain a traditional fixed pub

We do need some kind of indoor/ heated area for the fanzine during the winter months though

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s easier and cheaper to hire in a temporary portable bar than it would be to revamp and then maintain a traditional fixed pub

We do need some kind of indoor/ heated area for the fanzine during the winter months though
It's easier and cheaper agreed. But Villa bought and then sensitively redeveloped their pub. Why do we have to be cheapskates when the slightly more expensive option is so much better?

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's easier and cheaper agreed. But Villa bought and then sensitively redeveloped their pub. Why do we have to be cheapskates when the slightly more expensive option is so much better?
Maybe Villa felt there was more potential to own a pub. Due to location they may get more customers on non match days and I bet they get much much more in match days than we do.

We have loads of pubs in town that are walking distance. So fans can leave pubs 10 mins before kick off. At Villa you would either need to leave early to walk to Villa park or catch a tram or train. So the FansZone becomes more attractive.

The Feathers & Wanderer were 2 dying loss making pubs for for 330 days of the year.

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
£4m quid on a pub that’s opened for 20 days lol

I would imagine we let a brewery trade in the fanszone and we take a cut of the profits while they deal with TENS licenses, staffing and take the hit on any wastage.

I do agree that money should be spent on better seating, covered area ect but I guess it was never ment to be the permanent home with the potential South Bank rebuilt

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe Villa felt there was more potential to own a pub. Due to location they may get more customers on non match days and I bet they get much much more in match days than we do.

We have loads of pubs in town that are walking distance. So fans can leave pubs 10 mins before kick off. At Villa you would either need to leave early to walk to Villa park or catch a tram or train. So the FansZone becomes more attractive.

The Feathers & Wanderer were 2 dying loss making pubs for for 330 days of the year.
You're right on all those points. But the Holte is slap bang in the middle of a non drinking area. Aston as it is now is not an area that'd support a pub; it's predominantly Muslim. And yet the club supported/subsidised it. I'd like to see us do similar...

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You're right on all those points. But the Holte is slap bang in the middle of a non drinking area. Aston as it is now is not an area that'd support a pub; it's predominantly Muslim. And yet the club supported/subsidised it. I'd like to see us do similar...
Villa are stupid and have always been financially reckless.

We on the other hand are too overly cautious. It would be nice to find a middle ground tbf

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suppose what I'm suggesting is this: that we do something a bit original. The fanzones tend to be naff and pretty divorced from normal football support.

How about we create something that's fun but also rooted in 'legacy' fan support? A pub, with proper beer, but also a massive beer garden with fan zoney **** right next to the Bully and the South Bank? I understand your misgivings @kidder_wolf_II but we're not here to sort the books, we're fans with ideas...

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suppose what I'm suggesting is this: that we do something a bit original. The fanzones tend to be naff and pretty divorced from normal football support.

How about we create something that's fun but also rooted in 'legacy' fan support? A pub, with proper beer, but also a massive beer garden with fan zoney **** right next to the Bully and the South Bank? I understand your misgivings @kidder_wolf_II but we're not here to sort the books, we're fans with ideas...
Would love something better than what we have. Even if it only breaks even (Jeff’s words on the Stadium redevelopment)

I’ve used the fanszone a few times and really enjoyed it but it’s defo lacking that uniqueness that you mention. If we make it better then more will come so In turn it will need to be bigger.

Lots of wastage on cask beer that won’t be able to be used once the fans have gone home and will end up down the drain but craft ale is getting bigger and bigger these days which of course is a keg product so can be used in 2/3 weeks time at the next game. We should defo get a local craft ale producer to set up a stall on match days as well as better street food vendors.

wwfc9

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would love something better than what we have. Even if it only breaks even (Jeff’s words on the Stadium redevelopment)

I’ve used the fanszone a few times and really enjoyed it but it’s defo lacking that uniqueness that you mention. If we make it better then more will come so In turn it will need to be bigger.

Lots of wastage on cask beer that won’t be able to be used once the fans have gone home and will end up down the drain but craft ale is getting bigger and bigger these days which of course is a keg product so can be used in 2/3 weeks time at the next game. We should defo get a local craft ale producer to set up a stall on match days as well as better street food vendors.
Get on your sales pitch then mr Hobson !!

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Booked the Holte a few times, has some excellent mini conference facilities, used the main conference facilities as well. I think that's how they subsidise the costs rather than run it as a fully fledged pub

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The fanzone should be repositioned in between the two dual carriageways on the grassed area. That would be fun

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the fan zone is fine. I probably go there 1/3 home games.

It definitely needs an additional bar/ beer provider, and ideally they could put up some kind of cover for the wetter months, but in general it does the job. Plus having a p*** is significantly easier there than in most pubs or the SBU!

Might be me being a bit of a southern softie here, but I’d love to see them introduce a few more street market type food vendors, something a bit different from what you can get in town and not the usual burgers you can get from the stools outside the ground. I don’t mean anything too fancy, just a something a bit different.

Also, just play some tunes, don’t need the guy on the mic chatting gibberish every 10 mins asking fans random trivia questions.

Last edited:

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The fanzone should be repositioned in between the two dual carriageways on the grassed area. That would be fun
Yeah l'm absolutely positive that WMP will appreciate and support that "idea"........

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we all agree, the current 'fanzone' is, well, just a glorified car park.

My idea would be to buy the Feathers back from the uni. There's land to the front and lots to the left. There's potential there to make it a really British fanzone. You open up the areas around as a beer garden / fanzone, and do all the fanzone-y stuff but in a legacy fan sensitive way. The 1940s building is still in tact so why not? I know this is way down most people's priorities but I think it'd be a bostin addition to the Molineux environment.
I know from direct experience that it’s just not a viable business sadly.

fleck1

Reaction score
I thought originally the idea was to make it attractive to families and children on a match day, I know when I have either of mine with me they don't want to be sat in the pub all day watching the lunch time kick off before the game. But apart from a gazebo and chance to stand next to a cardboard cut out of Raul, what is there to entertain kids.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All you need is some ales, some fried hipster Japanese food and some midgets playing football against the local primary school side, then everyone will be down.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perfect opportunity with that survey that Wolves have recently sent around, to get some of your ideas in

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought it was stated in this summer’s Ask Wolves, that an application had been submitted for a permanent fan zone? Also, in the council’s recent city development pitch, there were photos of what looked like a fan zone in the area behind the North Bank. Surely they must be related?

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Trouble is most grounds with a fanzone do it because the pub options are atrocious, we don’t have that with the town centre two mins away. Most blokes I know enjoy a bit of a pub tour pre game and I can’t see one designated pub attracting anyone. I, like many others only used the wanderer and the feathers for one last pint just before kick off.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

You'd like us to spend money on a pub in a terrible location?

Who the **** would drink in the Feathers. It would be rammed on match day without prepoured plastics as well.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You wanna see Wolves invest in a white elephant? Strange.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So the Vile subsidised the Holte because there were bugger all decent pubs nearby. Wolvo city centre, all of 10 mins away from the ground, had a shedload of decent pubs yet you want us to do the same... Not being rude but WTAF.....

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Tbf to Wolves it doesn’t matter what they do with the fanzone, unless they can charge the same prices for food/drinks as they do up town people won’t wanna know.

Back
Top Bottom