Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Fan behaviour

A wanderer from Bristol

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think 'Chelsea rent boys' is still commonly sung 'does your boyfriend know you're here?' maybe becoming less common with Brighton. I imagine that's the sort of stuff we're talking about with the crowd stuff. I mean, I'm no dinosaur on this stuff, but if they're going to start arresting football fans for this I'm not sure where we're going. No idea about this guy obviously, there were a lot of coppers walking into the crowd at the end of the game though.
It is the softer stuff you're right, but it is still homophobic and needs challenging. I heard it at Brighton from our fans a couple of years back. Probably more helpful if the fan base challenge it amongst themselves rather than police steaming in

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
It is the softer stuff you're right, but it is still homophobic and needs challenging. I heard it at Brighton from our fans a couple of years back. Probably more helpful if the fan base challenge it amongst themselves rather than police steaming in
Yes, I'm not saying I condone it and I don't join in, but arresting people seems extreme. As I've said before history should be instructive. You very rarely hear anything racist at a match these days (I literally can't remember the last time). So is that because of police action, or did such attitudes become socially unacceptable, even in the rough and tumble of a football crowd? It was always a bit bonkers (to be polite) when you had fans racially abusing black players while idolising black players on their own team.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dunno if it’s because I’m a bit older but an element of our away fans leave me feeling sick. You know the sort young lads, drunk and coked up acting all hard because they’ve got a stone island jumper on.

That's just a class thing you don't like. You've described many away fan across the country. Coked up young fan in a stone island isn't a specific Wolves thing.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Football has a huge problem with homophobic chanting and until people are punished in the exact same way we'd punish people for racist chanting, attitudes are never going to change.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why , it’s a chant that’s all
In all seriousness mate, it's really not. Speaking as a 'yid' it's absolutely horrible standing next to wolves fans singing this stuff and other jewish slurs when we play spurs.

Suggest people think twice. You wouldn't use the N word so don't use the Y one - esp as it's less obvious who could be next to you.

This at a time of rising anti semitism lead by trump (followed by a significant minority in the US) and kanye etc.

As for spurs singing it - defense mechanism and meh.

Last edited:

RichB

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Simple solution is clubs and the decent fans working together.

In todays climate, with the best will in the world, Police simply don’t have the resources to tackle this inside of a football stadium and the tax payer can’t afford to provide Police with the manpower and technology to get this right.

Fans can report to the stewards, stewards can observe, CCTV can be zoomed in on any offenders.

I’d argue that given the costs associated to prosecuting someone………. Stadium bans are simple enough and the club could handle this internally.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's just a class thing you don't like. You've described many away fan across the country. Coked up young fan in a stone island isn't a specific Wolves thing.
No but it’s those cretins still using homophobic slurs

A wolves comeback

Reaction score
Its a very small minority, the individual this story refers to is a big mouth and its got him in trouble.

The White Mouse

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yes, I'm not saying I condone it and I don't join in, but arresting people seems extreme. As I've said before history should be instructive. You very rarely hear anything racist at a match these days (I literally can't remember the last time). So is that because of police action, or did such attitudes become socially unacceptable, even in the rough and tumble of a football crowd? It was always a bit bonkers (to be polite) when you had fans racially abusing black players while idolising black players on their own team.

probably arrested because its against the law?

and racism is alive and well amongst our fans, i hear comments walking into the ground most games. Last time i went to spurs away i was set next to group of tools who spent the whole game shouting dog eater at Son. Delightful

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At the recent Brighton match a guy by me shouted **** off you puffs multiple times called the ref a bender referred to Brighton fans as queers repeatedly.
So what would you define as homophobic abuse as if not the above
Maybe he was on the pull and was just trying to use his gaydar to identify likely partners?

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
S
In all seriousness mate, it's really not. Speaking as a 'yid' it's absolutely horrible standing next to wolves fans singing this stuff and other jewish slurs when we play spurs.

Suggest people think twice. You wouldn't use the N word so don't use the Y one - esp as it's less obvious who could be next to you.

This at a time of rising anti semitism lead by trump (followed by a significant minority in the US) and kanye etc.

As for spurs singing it - defense mechanism and meh.
Spot on and well said. All bigotry can be minimised as "banter" or "only a chant" . When you are the one being "differenced" particularly if there is a history of violence against your group it is deeply offensive and can be frightening in the extreme.

Howlin’ Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I don’t know wether it’s me getting old but……away games seem to be getting less enjoyable, train strikes really have been a pain this season which doesn’t help. Coked up lads is a way of life now, in a pub in Liverpool before the Everton game a bloke with a man bag was openly selling it as if it were ice creams at the pictures, and don’t get me started on smoking in the bogs. Flip me, can’t grown up fathers and grandfathers go for more than two hours without a fag?! selfish, inconsiderate *********.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
S

Spot on and well said. All bigotry can be minimised as "banter" or "only a chant" . When you are the one being "differenced" particularly if there is a history of violence against your group it is deeply offensive and can be frightening in the extreme.
Indeed. And also it's important to understand that what's acceptable changes and it's not all about being 'politically correct' or 'woke' for the sake of it.

Going to wolves in the early 90s as a student I definitely sung all sorts of stuff I'd never say now. Not racist or homophobic but we definitely sung other dubious things. The world changes and we move on.

I'll always defend terrace humour but this 'humour' comes with an underlying edge of reality that is very dangerous - especially in a world where people fall for misinformation and conspiracies like never before.

It's not just a chant. It's a way of putting someone down based on race or sexuality, and often the person right next to you has been affected by this in their personal life.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
probably arrested because its against the law?

and racism is alive and well amongst our fans, i hear comments walking into the ground most games. Last time i went to spurs away i was set next to group of tools who spent the whole game shouting dog eater at Son. Delightful
Jeez there are some dumb ****s out there - were they saying that about Hwang too?

wayne-the-wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

If someone calls me this in Spain, are they being racist, or does it depend on the context? It is used because I am a white foreigner.

I personally don't think it is but im sure some do, bit like gringo.
Also don't really class the taking the **** out of what people eat in other countries as racist.
Its ok to rip the French for eating snails and frogs legs but racist if about eating dog in some Asian countries???

Last edited:

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can we all agree that the chant ‘Gypo’ is hate speech.
As is you fat *******, sumo and there’s going to be a diet?

****er ****er ****er? It’s almost definitely true that the person there sang at is a ****er, and it’s said in a derogatory manner so that’s gotta go too

If a referee is from illegitimate parentage then ******* in the black has to go too

I’m sure there’s others too.

Just curious on people’s thoughts on these

A wanderer from Bristol

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ok, i've thought long and hard about posting this cos i might start a bunfight, but isn't it about time to stop calling Liverpool supporters 'bin dippers'. It's basically denigrating people for being poor.

I'm sure most use it out of habit or or 'banter', but right now, during a cost of living crisis, where some people literally are searching through bins outside of supermarkets, or going to food banks, or skipping meals, surely it's poor taste at the very least. I mean we're all being squeezed, and you don't have to go to Merseyside to see how desperate things are getting for people.

Never really understood why people seem to have an extra hate for scousers anyway. I've got good friends from Liverpool. By all means be tribal and support the wolves but in 2023, using poverty as an insult is just not funny

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
.... strangely enough normally after 14 pints of San Miguel.... lol

I get called it in the cafe, where I have been going for 30 years., by the waiters. So,there is a man with glasses sat on the next table. The waiter says take that to the man with glasses, to the other waiter. He will then say, take that to the guiri, meaning me.
I think, if someone says it to describe me, I understand that, but if it is uses in a derogatory way that is different. I would like to know what someone from the BAME community in the UK thinks about that, to see if they feel the same.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Ok, i've thought long and hard about posting this cos i might start a bunfight, but isn't it about time to stop calling Liverpool supporters 'bin dippers'. It's basically denigrating people for being poor.

I'm sure most use it out of habit or or 'banter', but right now, during a cost of living crisis, where some people literally are searching through bins outside of supermarkets, or going to food banks, or skipping meals, surely it's poor taste at the very least. I mean we're all being squeezed, and you don't have to go to Merseyside to see how desperate things are getting for people.

Never really understood why people seem to have an extra hate for scousers anyway. I've got good friends from Liverpool. By all means be tribal and support the wolves but in 2023, using poverty as an insult is just not funny
Absolutely and coming from a city like Wolverhampton is completely ridiculous

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Dingles?

TooMutchBull

Reaction score
Dingles is a made up family in a soap opera
It’s not a comparison and it’s what others call us I’m not aware of us calling any fans dingles
Dingles is just because its a ****, scabby dog rather than a more threatening, intimidating and majestic wolf. I don't think it's a nod to emerdale farm!

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Dingles is just because it’s a ****, scabby dog rather than a more threatening, intimidating and majestic wolf. I don't think it's a nod to emerdale farm!
Why are Burnley called dingles

The White Mouse

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
As is you fat *******, sumo and there’s going to be a diet?

****er ****er ****er? It’s almost definitely true that the person there sang at is a ****er, and it’s said in a derogatory manner so that’s gotta go too

If a referee is from illegitimate parentage then ******* in the black has to go too

I’m sure there’s others too.

Just curious on people’s thoughts on these

do you genuinely not understand protected characteristics or are you trying to point out that any insult should be banned if thats how people want to interpret them?

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yes but perhaps not for that reason. It's really old hat and boring. I also find all the anti scouse stuff in the forum tiresome but that's just me. It's not offensive, just small time.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dingles is a made up family in a soap opera
It’s not a comparison and it’s what others call us I’m not aware of us calling any fans dingles

But surely Albion calling us dingles, is to associate with us as being scruffy and thick.
Southampton are called scummers, etc, etc . Racism and homiphobia obviously have no place in football, but I think the line should be drawn there.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But surely Albion calling us dingles, is to associate with us as being scruffy and thick.
Southampton are called scummers, etc, etc . Racism and homiphobia obviously have no place in football, but I think the line should be drawn there.
Scummers comes from South Coast Union Men when dockers from southampton were bussed in to break a strike in Pompey. My understanding anyway, having lived in Southsea.
The real issue is the intent with nicknames, "Dog eater" was clearly inteneded to be insulting and derogatory, dingles is semi affectionate.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Pompey Saints thing supposedly goes back to an industrial dispute in the docks in the late 19th/early 20th century. The former were on strike, the latter worked and undermined the action.

Edited to add:
@Streathamwolf l saw your post after l posted. I was living in North End (not too far from Fratton Park) for about three months while l did a project as part of my masters.

Last edited:

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think for me and many others it’s extra hate of Liverpool fc fans rather than scousers.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He didn't say it was. And no it's not a class thing. Many a working class lad resists the urge to wear Stone Island and stick a kilo of powder up their nose.

Back
Top Bottom