Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Fabio Silva

T

TheConcourse

Spoke to non-Wolves supporting friend about Fabio.

They brought a comparison to the table which I think is perfectly fair for young Fabio.

Phil Foden.

He was getting such brief cameos up until the start of this season.

Pep has managed his career perfectly, drip feeding him minutes, building his confidence over 3 years and now they have a sensational talent.

I see Fabio the same way. He’s clearly a talented lad, but he’s been thrown to the Wolves when he isn’t ready.

The non-footballing stuff like strength will be built, he’ll slowly build his confidence and over 2 years we’ll start to see this player dominate defenders. I have no doubt.

Mighty Thor

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spoke to non-Wolves supporting friend about Fabio.

They brought a comparison to the table which I think is perfectly fair for young Fabio.

Phil Foden.

He was getting such brief cameos up until the start of this season.

Pep has managed his career perfectly, drip feeding him minutes, building his confidence over 3 years and now they have a sensational talent.

I see Fabio the same way. He’s clearly a talented lad, but he’s been thrown to the Wolves when he isn’t ready.

The non-footballing stuff like strength will be built, he’ll slowly build his confidence and over 2 years we’ll start to see this player dominate defenders. I have no doubt.

comparing Fabio and Foden is odd. One was ready and getting no opportunities. One is not ready and getting too many opportunities. Different players. Different stages of career. Different clubs, targeting different goals.

Norwegian Wolf

Reaction score
comparing Fabio and Foden is odd. One was ready and getting no opportunities. One is not ready and getting too many opportunities. Different players. Different stages of career. Different clubs, targeting different goals.
Fabio has been compared on here to Kane, Shearer, Henry, Giroud, Sheringham, Foden and even Gabriel Jesus, a guy with 40+ appearances for Brazil. Wishful thinking at this stage in his career. The best comparison on performances to date, is probably Benny Ashley-Seal based on age, pace, goal scoring ability etc.

T

TheConcourse

I mean in terms of where Foden was at versus today. Foden wasn’t ready 3 years ago. Now he is.

T

TheConcourse

Fabio has been compared on here to Kane, Shearer, Henry, Giroud, Sheringham, Foden and even Gabriel Jesus, a guy with 40+ appearances for Brazil. Wishful thinking at this stage in his career. The best comparison on performances to date, is probably Benny Ashley-Seal based on age, pace, goal scoring ability etc.
No, they’re comparing where players were at the same age.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

No ones comparing him to them... now you've just compared to him with a 22 year old with no football league goals.

D

Deleted member 11332

If he ends up as poor a player as Gabriel Jesus I agree it's an absolute waste of money, he is garbage.

Norwegian Wolf

Reaction score
No, they’re comparing where players were at the same age.
Some are, I agree, but not all. However the inference is don't expect too much from Fabio just now, as the aforementioned players were no better at his age and therefore he might turn out to be like them. He might, but then the comparison could also be drawn with a young Ashley-Seal, Jake Cassidy or Liam McAlinden who showed similar levels of goal scoring ability when they were younger too. He needs time to find out how he will develop and we shouldn't be jumping to too many conclusions just yet.

D

Deleted member 11332

Is that meta-irony? The master will be so proud of you @forge

Nah I actually think Jesus is awful. He's playing in one of the best attacking sides the country has seen and he barely ever scores. I'm about 16 stone and ay wor a pair of boots for about 3 years and I'd get 10 a season playing up top for city. Useless Jesus is.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Secretariat won the triple crown by the time he was 3..
I know you're talking in jest '82, but Secretariat was almost a freak of nature. His stride was exceptionally long and his heart was exceptionally large. One of the very few horses to have his entire body buried (not that that means anything, I just thought I'd throw that in there). :grimacing:

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If you look at Foden's development in terms of minutes on the pitch it's not a bad road map to follow for Silva, who should start to get his proper opportunities at a similar age and I'm sure he would have been used just as sparingly (Foden got 330 mins of league football at 18) had it not been for Raúl's injury

Last edited:

Ernie the Wolf

Reaction score
No way.

T

TheConcourse

Some are, I agree, but not all. However the inference is don't expect too much from Fabio just now, as the aforementioned players were no better at his age and therefore he might turn out to be like them. He might, but then the comparison could also be drawn with a young Ashley-Seal, Jake Cassidy or Liam McAlinden who showed similar levels of goal scoring ability when they were younger too. He needs time to find out how he will develop and we shouldn't be jumping to too many conclusions just yet.
Not convinced on that. But for a very good save from one of the best keepers in the Premier League he would be on 3 goals for the season and I’m really struggling to think of how many clear chances this team has created for him.

Alas, he didn’t score v Leicester, but it wouldn’t have mattered either way because fans would still be slaughtering him.

Ernie the Wolf

Reaction score
I watch too much football on tv during lockdown and I regularly see many misses on goal worse than we have seen from Silva, by far more experienced players than him and many of international standard. Why do some on here feel the need to give him so much stick given where he is in his career?

WinchWolf

Reaction score
That is not speed though, that is aerobic fitness not top end speed

You're right but the mechanism to get faster is sprint interval training (walk-back sprinting) where you sprint for a short distance then walk-back and repeat a number of times, this increases your top sprint speed and has a knock-on effect on your 5k times.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His pace is awful, his positioning and reading of the game is exceptional for his age.
His pace won’t diminish (cos like Sheringham he has none) so in theory I’d expect a consistent upward trend in performance.
I think he could be a top class Andy Mutch.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know you're talking in jest '82, but Secretariat was almost a freak of nature. His stride was exceptionally long and his heart was exceptionally large. One of the very few horses to have his entire body buried (not that that means anything, I just thought I'd throw that in there). :grimacing:
I am very glad you did. I love a beautiful freak. I think in the same way, Bolt may end up being a freak of a human.. maybe too early to tell.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Blimey, BAS is 4 years old than Silva and has a grand total of 1 goal in his career. BAS has never represented his country at youth level whereas Silva has.

It's an odd comparison to pick given how different they are.

The Runner

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
That is not speed though, that is aerobic fitness not top end speed

You're right but the mechanism to get faster is sprint interval training (walk-back sprinting) where you sprint for a short distance then walk-back and repeat a number of times, this increases your top sprint speed and has a knock-on effect on your 5k times.
To be fair, without wanting to take this thing too much off topic, the improvement in your case, and also in my case for improving 5k times is due to an increase in your aerobic fitness allowing you to run longer at a faster pace. You don't need to increase your top sprint speed because you're not going to be sprinting your 5k. I would suspect that when you started running you would have been able to run 1 mile in around 7.5 minutes but be unable to sustain that pace. The increase in your endurance over time, meant that you were able to sustain that pace over the 3.1 miles.

As far as Fabio is concerned, some people have said that he won't get any quicker. The article I posted earlier disagrees with that view.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who would be happy if we spend another £35m on one for the future this summer? Genuine question.
I wouldnt be unhappy about it but I suppose the question is "at what cost?". Would I want us to sell Neves for instance, to fund it? Absolutely not.

Im aware we follow football for the "now" but I have no issue with wolves looking to the future if that future is progress. If for instance we finish 10th this season we've undoubtedly taken a step back but if that step back brought top 4 next season then im happy.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who would be happy if we spend another £35m on one for the future this summer? Genuine question.

Could be spending a lot less on a wonderkid this summer if reports and rumours are to be believed.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Again I like his confidence and maturity. Clearly believes in himself. His confidence and personality remind me of Neto. I still think he will become a really good player.
Like Neto I love the confidence but also how grounded they are. There isnt any "big time charlie" in them

Back
Top Bottom