Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Fabio Silva

D

Deleted member drgr12429

I absolutely think he will be a great striker. The difference in him from last year is night and day. Stronger, fitter and faster. The goals will come. The shot he had yesterday was goal bound but for Martinez's great save. He'll learn from the 1 on 1 situation. He's 19 years old!
No one wants him to fail here surely?

Cousins78

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The run and pass to trincao first half was world class, on another day he could of had a hat trick so i have no doubt goals will come. The runs he makes are very intelligent we were just a tad hesitant on playing the right ball for him but he is on the brink of being an excellent player for us

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have always liked Fabio, and am convinced he'll be a star for us. I like the way he holds the ball up and plays others in. I think he has added a little more pace this year.. although intelligent players don't always need pace. I'm thinking Teddy Sheringham.
I really hope that Fabio, Chico and Toti are the new generation of Portuguese players we'll be drooling over for years to come.
I'm liking the Sheringham thought.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely. Really not the most gifted with pace, but knew where to be when it mattered.

Rhyl Wolf

Reaction score
My opinion of Fabio has always been swayed unfairly by the price tag. I think we're all beginning to see the potential. Like the way he out muscled Mingers for the one-on-one chance. He obvs loves being here & seems popular with his team mates. You can't buy team-spirit. Wolves have truck loads of the stuff!

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You said you didn't want to rain on anyone's parade by stating he hadn't scored this season which clearly shows you think that's significant.

As I said, he's played less than the equivalent of 4 full games. There's a massive difference between the two statements.
Of course it's significant that he hasn't scored this season. It's his job. Bruno also thinks it's significant as he's mentioned that the strikers need to be more ruthless/clinical. At the end of the day, it's Silva's job to score goals.
As a comparison, Jonny has played a similar number of minutes as Silva this season and he's got two. MGW has played 3 and scored 1.

You/me and the rest of us can use stats, statements or even innuendo to support our views, but the fact remains that Silva's scoring and even assisting rate this season and over the past couple of seasons is poor.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course it's significant that he hasn't scored this season. It's his job. Bruno also thinks it's significant as he's mentioned that the strikers need to be more ruthless/clinical. At the end of the day, it's Silva's job to score goals.
As a comparison, Jonny has played a similar number of minutes as Silva this season and he's got two. MGW has played 3 and scored 1.

You/me and the rest of us can use stats, statements or even innuendo to support our views, but the fact remains that Silva's scoring and even assisting rate this season and over the past couple of seasons is poor.
Jimenez has a goal every 360 minutes in the league this season. Silva has only played 345 minutes in the league in total.

Perhaps he could have had one or two, but it’s far more difficult to score from eighteen 5 minute spells off the bench than one 90 minute game.

“Over the past couple of seasons” is questionable too as this is only his second season with us, and last season he had a better goals/assists rate than a pre-injury Jimenez.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

So should we play Jonny as a number 9?

Last season Fabio Silva had the best goals & assist ratio per 90 minutes of ANYONE at the club.

I don't think you really understand how statistics work.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So should we play Jonny as a number 9?

Last season Fabio Silva had the best goals & assist ratio per 90 minutes of ANYONE at the club.

I don't think you really understand how statistics work.
Walks away shaking his head!

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Walks away shaking his head!
If your gonna make stuff up I'm going to call you out on it.

If you compare "a season" with 4 games and say they're the same thing I'm going to call you out on it.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry to **** on anyone's parade, but Silva is yet to score in the Prem, this season. I didn't see the first half yesterday, but I assume that Bruno did. He says of our forwards;
Bruno Lage has heaped praise on his ‘dominant’ Wolves side but has called for a clinical edge from his forwards.
Not aimed at Silva per-se, but as Silva was leading the line; it is aimed at him as well as others.

We scored two against Leeds (Jonny and Trincao) and two against Villa (Jonny and OG). Our main striker has 6 for the whole season and our back-up (Hwang) has 5. Silva has a measly 4 in 50 appearance for Wolves. Of course, the vast majority of Silva's appearances were minutes from the bench.

Like all of us, I hope Silva comes good, but for those who believe that he is ready to lead a line in the Premier league and compete with Salah, Kane and others, I think you are sadly mistaken.
It may not be Silva's fault completely for his goal drought as Wolves create few chances and so his opportunities are fewer than for other strikers, but he really needs now to show that he can sink or swim in the big league.
Saying it's judgement time, on a 19 year old. Let's just say that l respect your right to your opinion even if l totally and utterly disagree.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because if you read posts earlier in the thread, those are two players who posters were comparing Silva to.

By the way, Watkins scored a goal.
Watkins also missed several good chances and was generally dog pooh. I never want to see him in old gold.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watkins also missed several good chances and was generally dog pooh. I never want to see him in old gold.
Neither do I, but responding to someone who implied that he was as ineffective as Silva.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If your gonna make stuff up I'm going to call you out on it.

If you compare "a season" with 4 games and say they're the same thing I'm going to call you out on it.
What? What did I make up? Read my post.

I didn't say a season was 4 matches. I said that he is yet to score in the Prem this season. You brought up the 4 matches. He's actually played in 18 Premier League matches, although, as I stated, the vast majority were 'minutes from the bench'.

Talk about nit-picking and diversion.

Last edited:

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Played really well yesterday, but he has to do better with his opportunities. His determination you can’t fault.

I think looking at him he needs to beef his leg muscles up and take shots quicker for example the first one that was well saved should of really tried to break the net but he’s improving it’s good sign. His shot in the second half would of gone in I think If it wasn’t for the good save.

I’m pleased he’s getting there!! WELL DONE FABIO!!

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Saying it's judgement time, on a 19 year old. Let's just say that l respect your right to your opinion even if l totally and utterly disagree.
I have no problem with people disagreeing. It's what makes a forum. The vast majority of Wolves' fans, including me, want Silva to succeed. We splashed a huge amount of money on him, so we need him to come good. Unfortunately, I've seen very little that he will justify the fee and the reputation that he arrived with. He really needs to prove me wrong.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What? What did I make up? Read my post.

I didn't say a season was 4 matches. I said that he is yet to score in the Prem this season. You brought up the 4 matches. He's actually played in 18 Premier League matches, although, as I stated, the vast majority were 'minutes from the bench'.

Talk about nit-picking and diversion.

You said Silva had a poor goals / assist return for a couple of seasons which isn't true.

So what you're saying is 18 games where a player has come on at HT is the same as coming on for the last 5 minutes?

4 games represents the total amount of minutes that Silva has played which is far more relevant than how many games he's appeared in

For the record, by your logic, Neto is yet to score or assist this season too so he must be having a poor one.

Sorry if you finding statistics in context nitpicking, but then facts in context don't seem to factor into your thought process.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You said Silva had a poor goals / assist return for a couple of seasons which isn't true.

So what you're saying is 18 games where a player has come on at HT is the same as coming on for the last 5 minutes?

4 games represents the total amount of minutes that Silva has played which is far more relevant than how many games he's appeared in

For the record, by your logic, Neto is yet to score or assist this season too so he must be having a poor one.

Sorry if you finding statistics in context nitpicking, but then facts in context don't seem to factor into your thought process.
You are constantly putting words into my mouth.

Silva definitely has a poor goals/assists return.

No, I conceded that the vast majority of Silva's games were minutes on the pitch.

The fact that Silva has only played a matter of minutes per game in a team that struggles to score goals is relevant as clearly, he is not showing enough in training to force his way into a struggling attack. If Silva was the answer to our goalscoring, Bruno would be forced to play him other than for minutes or when Raul and Hwang (who both have poor returns) are injured or unavailable. It is evident that he doesn't.

Neto has been injured and is regaining fitness. Not sure why you need to make such a facetious remark to accompany the one about Jonny playing in attack!!

Thanks again for questioning my understanding of stats and my thought process. Do you try to belittle all the people you debate with, despite knowing nothing about them?

I stick by my original post and respect your right to have a different opinion. I've done this without getting personal or making facetious or belittling comments. It's a shame that you don't display the same respect.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have no problem with people disagreeing. It's what makes a forum. The vast majority of Wolves' fans, including me, want Silva to succeed. We splashed a huge amount of money on him, so we need him to come good. Unfortunately, I've seen very little that he will justify the fee and the reputation that he arrived with. He really needs to prove me wrong.
I’m quietly confident that the lad will prove you wrong.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kane missing a one vs one:

Ronaldo missing loads of good chances:

Salah missing a one vs one:

The amazing Ollie Watkins that “we should have brought instead of Silva” according to some missed a clear one vs one yesterday too here at 1:35:

No forward “always” scores in those positions.

****ing hell,the winker misses a lot dow he. :tonguewink:

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You are constantly putting words into my mouth.

Silva definitely has a poor goals/assists return.

No, I conceded that the vast majority of Silva's games were minutes on the pitch.

The fact that Silva has only played a matter of minutes per game in a team that struggles to score goals is relevant as clearly, he is not showing enough in training to force his way into a struggling attack. If Silva was the answer to our goalscoring, Bruno would be forced to play him other than for minutes or when Raul and Hwang (who both have poor returns) are injured or unavailable. It is evident that he doesn't.

Neto has been injured and is regaining fitness. Not sure why you need to make such a facetious remark to accompany the one about Jonny playing in attack!!

Thanks again for questioning my understanding of stats and my thought process. Do you try to belittle all the people you debate with, despite knowing nothing about them?

I stick by my original post and respect your right to have a different opinion. I've done this without getting personal or making facetious or belittling comments. It's a shame that you don't display the same respect.

I'm not belittling you, I'm belittling your understanding of statistics and the context within which to use them.

Last season Silva gave the best return in terms of minutes in the pitch to goals & assists. This fact means your assumption around a poor goals / assists return is wrong.

I'm trying to make you see the point that a player can only do stuff whilst he's playing

It is not within Fabio's control around whether he gets picked or not, but when he does he returns goals & assists (see last season in case you've forgotten). Bruno is culpable for not picking Fabio, Fabio can't pick the team.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You are, l repeat, entitled to your opinion. I can safely, though, say that Fabio does not have to prove you wrong despite your last sentence. Saying otherwise assumes that he, or anyone in a position of authority at Molineux, give a flying **** about your opinion.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope that you are right and look forwards to the day that you remind me. :)
Rest assured that my only satisfaction will be to watch him mature and play a successful part in a thriving Wolves team.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kane didn't score a Premier League goal until he was on the verge of his 21st birthday

Salah was older than Fabio when he was busy scoring 1 in 5 in the mighty Swiss league

So Fabio is ahead of both at this stage of their respective careers
Well, when you put it like that, I start getting excited…!

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think SA's problem is their view is blinded by the fee. First half especially, he was superb yesterday. When he has a run of games we can judge his goalscoring but even then he's still very young.

Fee be damned, there's a lot of talent there. We should not have been paying such a high fee for a big risk, as all players at that age are, but what's done is done. We rolled the dice.

Bob Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Does anyone know how long his contract is with us. Slight concern from me is that if he develops as we hope - let’s say over the next three years or so into a promising premier league striker he will just be at the end of his contract and leave us on a free!

Reactions: Ian

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Like most on here I've taken a long time to come round to thinking/believing Silva definitely has something about him. He's very intelligent, strong on the ball and has the ability to make things happen. He's far more aggressive than last season and just one year more wise and experienced. It's not him I'm concerned about right now, I'm far more concerned about Jimenez and whether he will ever get back to anywhere near where he was?

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neither do I, but responding to someone who implied that he was as ineffective as Silva.
Just for context over the last 2 seasons (PL games)
watkins - goal/assist every 199 minutes
silva - goal or assist every 242 minutes

for silva to have a better goal/assist per minute - he needs 2 more.

Hardly worlds apart.

2D1E5044-B19B-4FD1-AAB5-0BB6841F34D9.jpeg

3108B037-B1F2-4871-AAC7-E38C53ED1824.jpeg

wayne-the-wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I don't usually bother visiting this thread because of all the negative bull****, but he was brilliant yesterday and if he had scored would have been man of the match - disappointed we didn't get a chant going for him, we have to get behind the lad - he will be something special

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Watched the full game back earlier and for me, Fabio was the best player on the pitch. Everything went through him and everything he did oozed quality. Yes, he needs to improve his finishing but beyond that, he really held the whole team performance together.

It is frightening how good he could be- he already has experience that lots of strikers can't match and it's still 3 years until we see something approaching the fully formed player. Mental.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

He's played 342 minutes in total, mostly coming on as a sub as we're running down time.

It took Raul 511 minutes (without being subbed) to score his first this season.
Also coming on late in games when we are either chasing it (which we are the worst team in the league at statistically unfortunately) or when we are seeing out a lead is even harder to get into the game.

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Does anyone know how long his contract is with us. Slight concern from me is that if he develops as we hope - let’s say over the next three years or so into a promising premier league striker he will just be at the end of his contract and leave us on a free!
Was thinking exactly the same thing...

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For those concerned about Fabio’s lack of goal scoring, Shearer scored 22 goals in 105 first division games for Southampton with 1 assist. Of these he scored 14 in his last season for them in 92 when he was 22. He scored 3 on his debut and didn’t score another goal for 2 years in over 20 performances.

As I’ve said before players like him don’t score many goals when they are very young - most can’t hold their own in the first team. Those who are prolific at a young age generally score lots early and then drop off a cliff in terms of goal scoring in their mid twenties, look at Robbie Fowler as an example or perhaps even more appropriate Joe Royle (for the older fans amongst us), debut at 16 playing as a traditional number 9, prolific until early 20s then struggled to reach double figures after that.

Ebbo

Reaction score
His movement, awareness and touch are all excellent. He's getting stronger all the time and his confidence is growing. He bullied Villa at times yesterday. He's going to be a top player. Leading the line in the Premier League at 19, he's streets ahead of where many big name strikers were at the same age.

Last edited:

LetTheBullLoose

Reaction score
Sorry to **** on anyone's parade, but Silva is yet to score in the Prem, this season. I didn't see the first half yesterday, but I assume that Bruno did. He says of our forwards;
Bruno Lage has heaped praise on his ‘dominant’ Wolves side but has called for a clinical edge from his forwards.
Not aimed at Silva per-se, but as Silva was leading the line; it is aimed at him as well as others.

We scored two against Leeds (Jonny and Trincao) and two against Villa (Jonny and OG). Our main striker has 6 for the whole season and our back-up (Hwang) has 5. Silva has a measly 4 in 50 appearance for Wolves. Of course, the vast majority of Silva's appearances were minutes from the bench.

Like all of us, I hope Silva comes good, but for those who believe that he is ready to lead a line in the Premier league and compete with Salah, Kane and others, I think you are sadly mistaken.
It may not be Silva's fault completely for his goal drought as Wolves create few chances and so his opportunities are fewer than for other strikers, but he really needs now to show that he can sink or swim in the big league.

I fully appreciate that everyone has different opinions…but opinions can still be complete and utter ****
Like that is.

You’ve seen very little that he will justify the fee?? Either -

You’re a WUM or
You are desperate to stick to the line that he’ll be no good and you need to save face or
You really have no idea what a good footballer looks like.
Take your pick

Back
Top Bottom