Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Fabio and Conor

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Suppose Wolves picked up a youngster from Barcelona on loan, and it was announced that we had an option to buy. Now suppose that lad scored 20+ goals in the loan season, but then didn't sign for us, and instead signed a huge new Barcelona contract. You'd all want Sellars sacked. And the reason you'd want him sacked is for not making sure the lad was tied into a binding contract right up front at the start of the loan. "What is the point of a buy option", you would ask, "if you cannot sign the player at the end of the loan? Sellars out."
Let’s say we wanted to take up the option but the player didn’t agree or didn’t want to stay you can’t force him.

so-called fan

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Let’s say we wanted to take up the option but the player didn’t agree or didn’t want to stay you can’t force him.
I think he'd be under contract already. Just as if he'd changed his mind after the first season of a three year deal. I don't think he'd be able to play anywhere else. I could be wrong, but I think as soon as the player signs up for the loan, if the loan includes a buy option, all the terms are included in the loan contract and he's committed.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he'd be under contract already. Just as if he'd changed his mind after the first season of a three year deal. I don't think he'd be able to play anywhere else. I could be wrong, but I think as soon as the player signs up for the loan, if the loan includes a buy option, all the terms are included in the loan contract and he's committed.
I don't know enough to speculate. I do though know that it's a very legally complex area.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only way we’ll see Coady in a wolves shirt again is if Everton go down, we stay up and JL can see a future for him at the club.
Unfortunately that is the case. Probably the one single transfer-out that has us in the position that we are. Enthusiasm, leadership, character and personality left the club when we let Conor go. Madness by those in charge!

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
See Vitinha reportedly.
People said that about Vitinha, but was it just a face saving rumour? Didn't he post on social media, saying he was on his way back to Wolves, or something to that effect, before the decision not to take the option was made public?

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
but was it just a face saving rumour?
I find this a completely ridiculous concept tbh that wolves or any other club lie to a whole network of journalists to ‘save face’ when there’s no issue in saying that they’re not signing a certain player.
it could be that he didn’t have the best experience at wolves and wolves hadn’t seen enough of him to justify the fee.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I find this a completely ridiculous concept tbh that wolves or any other club lie to a whole network of journalists to ‘save face’ when there’s no issue in saying that they’re not signing a certain player.
it could be that he didn’t have the best experience at wolves and wolves hadn’t seen enough of him to justify the fee.
I completely agree. I was thinking face saving for Vithina, not Wolves, he was the one rejected after seemingly wanting to return following the loan, if his social media posts were genuine. The fact that he might have stepped up his game and got a better deal a year later is only known in hindsight.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
I completely agree. I was thinking face saving for Vithina, not Wolves, he was the one rejected after seemingly wanting to return following the loan, if his social media posts were genuine. The fact that he might have stepped up his game and got a better deal a year later is only known in hindsight.
Ok sorry I misunderstood that

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ok sorry I misunderstood that
My point was that the rumours did not necessarily show an example of a player having choice around the option exercise, but might just be the player putting it about that he "never really wanted to go." after it wasn't exercised. I'd tend to agree with other posters who guess that the player would be under some contractual obligation when the option was negotiated and the ball was firmly in the buying club's court. Which would also be the case with Coady.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My point was that the rumours did not necessarily show an example of a player having choice around the option exercise, but might just be the player putting it about that he "never really wanted to go." after it wasn't exercised. I'd tend to agree with other posters who guess that the player would be under some contractual obligation when the option was negotiated and the ball was firmly in the buying club's court. Which would also be the case with Coady.
That would perhaps seem logical but l can see no circumstances where there wouldn't be some sort of "force majeure" clause which could be invoked had circumstances changed massively.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That would perhaps seem logical but l can see no circumstances where there wouldn't be some sort of "force majeure" clause which could be invoked had circumstances changed massively.
Yes relegation and survival would certainly fit that bill.

Back
Top Bottom