Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

FA STATEMENT RE POSTPONEMENTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I guess football, or the football authorities, has put itself on a pedestal over the last few years and it doesn't know when to say 'that's enough'.

Titch

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Makes me think they are worried about the reaction to a minutes silence at games. All the middle class sports going ahead though.
It would have been like West Ham last night with possibly the exception of some Liverpool fans.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Makes me think they are worried about the reaction to a minutes silence at games. All the middle class sports going ahead though.

You’re maybe right there. I think the vast majority would have respected the silence, but likely there would be a minority of idiots, at some clubs at least, who would have jeered. I noticed the reaction on Twitter to Liverpool being slow to post a message about her passing, and there are plenty of very disrespectful viral tweets doing the rounds. Jeers in grounds could have sparked a few fights with more royalist fans.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So potentially no football for an entire month as game suspended tomorrow, and possibly Man City game as well depending on the date of the Queen's funeral. Two week international break following that.

In a way it's not a bad thing for us, Bruno needs time to spend with his new signings to get them playing the way he wants them to, and for Diego Costa to get himself match fit. The next 8 league games that will happen prior to the World Cup will likely decide whether we stick with Bruno or twist.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looks like they are going to struggle to keep next weeks games on due to policing

While policing was not a factor in postponing this weekend's Premier League games, it is understood it could be a consideration in next weekend's games depending on state funeral arrangements.

There is confidence fixture congestion can be solved in the second half of the season and a meeting will be held next week to discuss the calendar with relevant bodies.

The Premier League took the decision to honour the Queen's "extraordinary life and contribution to the nation" and said updates on future fixtures during the period of mourning "will be provided in due course".

The league's chief executive Richard Masters said: "We and our clubs would like to pay tribute to Her Majesty's long and unwavering service to our country.

"This is a tremendously sad time for not just the nation but also for the millions of people around the world who admired her, and we join together with all those in mourning her passing."

In Scotland, the postponements include the Scottish Professional Football League, Scottish Women's Premier League and Scottish Highland and Lowland Football Leagues, as well as Women's Scottish Cup fixtures.

SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster said it was appropriate to "mark the event with all possible solemnity" and added that there would be a further update "when we have clarity over official arrangements for Her Majesty's funeral".

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sports I like footie and boxing, cancelled this weekend, sports I don't like, rugby, cricket and horse racing going ahead, FFS

Loefah

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
2 clubs out of how many? I’d like to think Wolves fans would have drowned them out.
2 clubs would be enough to make headlines. I'm not saying it's definitely the reason, but maybe these factors are taken into consideration.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With respect, we don't know what the Queen would have wanted. If she felt strongly enough about it she'd have left instructions for a minimal period of mourning.

What's for sure though, is it ain't what I want. I don't need to mourn, I just wanna watch some football at the weekend.

I've read that plans were made and agreed between Queen and Government regarding this. That sporting events were left open to the discretion of the relevant organisations discretion was presumably part of that, hence had the approval of the Queen. These are detailed arrangements, with the Queen's involvement, yet I've not read anything that said they contained mandatory postponements. The part about her hating the Villa might be something I just imagined, though.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score

Not sure if this could be the reason, just speculation. It's about time people stopped caring what these sorts of newspapers and media outlets think.

I think the football authorities have jumped the gun, and if they had known rugby and cricket decided to go ahead before making their decision, they might have decided otherwise. Also think there may be some truth in the thought that they don't trust all football fans to react in the right way. Football fans are, in the vast majority, working class and treated like naughty children in nearly all aspects. You can herd them up, bash them about, keep them locked in trains and grounds. God forbid you allow them to hear the conversations happening between referees and VAR, like in rugby and cricket. These working class oiks just can't be trusted. We've always been treated differently and I can't see that changing anytime soon.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Not sure if this could be the reason, just speculation. It's about time people stopped caring what these sorts of newspapers and media outlets think.

I think the football authorities have jumped the gun, and if they had known rugby and cricket decided to go ahead before making their decision, they might have decided otherwise. Also think there may be some truth in the thought that they don't trust all football fans to react in the right way. Football fans are, in the vast majority, working class and treated like naughty children in nearly all aspects. You can herd them up, bash them about, keep them locked in trains and grounds. God forbid you allow them to hear the conversations happening between referees and VAR, like in rugby and cricket. These working class oiks just can't be trusted. We've always been treated differently and I can't see that changing anytime soon.

Really good post this. Think you've hit a lot of nails on the head.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What has happened to this country?
That Operation London Bridge is down thing was drawn up in the 60s..... Maybe time we change it so we're not such cap doffing morons. Most friends and people at work (royal mail) think the whole thing is OTT.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So Horse Racing is going ahead on Sunday exactly to: "provide an opportunity for the sport and its supporters to pay its respects to Her Majesty...".

Doesn't that mean that the Premier League has been disrespectful by postponing everything for 2 weekends, hence not allowing such respects to be paid?

Loefah

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
So what? People are allowed to react to it however they choose to ffs
I wish that was the case, yes, but you only need to watch the TV footage during the last 24 hours to see that you can't even allude to anything remotely controversial or disrespectful.

They've been planning this for decades and the public and media reaction in the aftermath is no doubt carefully managed too.

suffolkwolf

Reaction score
1000’s of people will have booked tickets, flights and hotels - restaurants etc for this weekends matches. These plans have now been scuppered. Also the hospitality industry is having the toughest of times - Now this industry will be hit by a plethora of cancellations up and down the country. another kick in the teeth when they need it least.

The likelihood the rearrangement will be on an evening that will be all but impossible for people to re- jig

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
2 clubs out of how many? I’d like to think Wolves fans would have drowned them out.
Why? If people don't give a hoot about the queen then they're free to express this now the day of her death has passed.

Id have remain silent in the away for god save the queen (never have, never will sing an anthem glorifying colonialism) and kept away from the usually anti-liverpool chants but if those grounds chose to vent over her death, then so be it. People cheered when Thatcher dropped.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hate the concept of Royalty. But I'm certainly by no means glad or happy at what's happened. At the same time I won't be losing any sleep over it. I imagine many, many people feel very similar..

To effectively not allow this neutral way of thinking is pretty bloody grim.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely the midweek football league fixtures that are due to take place this coming Tuesday and Wednesday will be played otherwise the utter joke situation arises of British teams in Europe being allowed to play while the domestic ones are not.

At a time when far too many clubs ( and indeed their supporters ) are on the bones of the backside financially the last thing they can afford is in some cases to be denied 2 home games in a week.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
feel the FA drove this postponing rather than premier league, already noises last night that the FA were letting grass roots sides etc know there would be no games.

Premier league have aligned with FA, then EFL and subsequently Scottish leagues following

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What has happened to this country?
That Operation London Bridge is down thing was drawn up in the 60s..... Maybe time we change it so we're not such cap doffing morons. Most friends and people at work (royal mail) think the whole thing is OTT.
Good point. The authorities have drawn up plans way in advance to manage the deaths of all of the royals. Operation London Bridge is the plan for the Queen that has been around for a long time. Operation Forth Bridge was the plan for the Duke of Edinburgh and Operation ... is the one for Prince Andrew.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
And... that sees the thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom