Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

FA CUP Round SIX March 17th 1973 Wolves 2 Coventry 0

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jesus let’s not kid ourselves the football in the 70’s was awful
No it wasn't. It was a different game from the one played today by pampered prima donnas. Pitches today are perfect and contact has almost been eradicated. Players like Best and Waggy would be unplayable by today's standards.

It may not have been as fast as it is nowadays, but there was no feigning injury or rolling around trying to get opponents sent off.

I liked 70's football.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No it wasn't. It was a different game from the one played today by pampered prima donnas. Pitches today are perfect and contact has almost been eradicated. Players like Best and Waggy would be unplayable by today's standards.

It may not have been as fast as it is nowadays, but there was no feigning injury or rolling around trying to get opponents sent off.

I liked 70's football.
Most of us on here it seems fell in love with football in the 70s

It was brilliant, exciting and every top division team had a chance of winning something
Liverpool, Leeds, Sunderland, West Ham,Ipswich Southampton Arsenal all won the FA cup
Wolves Villa Forest Stoke and spurs among the league cup winners.
12 different teams winning cups.
In the League Forest Derby Liverpool Leeds and Arsenal won the league even though the 70s is remembered as Liverpool dominated.

Notable other finalists and runners up QPR, Norwich, Fulham.
It may not have been as technically good as today but the Sky Six weren’t enabled to steam roller the rest and plenty of so called smaller clubs were very competitive in both league and cups.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It was brilliant, exciting and every top division team had a chance of winning something
Liverpool, Leeds, Sunderland, West Ham,Ipswich Southampton Arsenal all won the FA cup
In the League Forest Derby Liverpool Leeds and Arsenal won the league even though the 70s is remembered as Liverpool dominated.

It may not have been as technically good as today but the Sky Six weren’t enabled to steam roller the rest and plenty of so called smaller clubs were very competitive in both league and cups.

With you 100% with all you say !!!!

While I no longer have anytime for Forest with their recent behaviours I am glad to have witnessed a side come out of the second division and the next season win the first division ( that is something else great about my formative years as a football fan, the Premier League was Division One not this cow pat nonsense we know have where the 3rd tier in football is farcically called the first division !!!! ) then win the European Cup. This was back when the only teams allowed in it were the Champions not the ever expanding money making ridiculously named Champions League where if it gets any larger teams that finish 8th in their respective leagues will be allowed in. How can you call something the Champions League then let 2,3,4 and in some cases 5th place teams in ???? What Brian Clough did at Forest and prior to that at Derby will never happen again.

As you point out, look at all those teams that won a trophy and others that made it to the major domestic Cup Finals. These days it is rare that anyone outside the Sky Six make it.

Internationally wise there was far less football so an England or other international games meant something. While there were some whipping boys, there was no Andorra, Liechtenstein, San Marino or Faroe Islands. Now it can be harder to get Tesco Club Card points than a cap !!! I watched on TV two of what for me remain the greatest international sides ever in the seventies, the 1972 to 74 West Germans and the 74 Holland team.

I have many great memories of my seventies football years about Wolves ( even if we did go down in 75/76 ) Outside of Wolves it has has to be watching Sunderland beat Leeds 1-0 in the 1973 FA Cup Final. Then witnessing Manure getting relegated !!!!!!

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
50,106 saw Wolves win 2-0 with goals from a Kenny Hibbitt penalty and John Richards. The side that day was Phil Parkes / Gerry Taylor / Derek Parkin / Bernard Shaw / Frank Munro / John McAlle / Jim McCalliog / Kenny Hibbitt / John Richards / Derek Dougan / Dave Wagstaffe.

There is a wonderful 23 minute highlights package on YouTube posted by Mercian1969 . If one of my far more computer talented Mixers could post a link to that I feel sure that everyone who is a Woves fan will enjoy watching it. Especially the penalty kick demonstration from King Kenny Hibbitt on how to run up without any need to stutter and drill the shoot right into to the corner of the net .

I am sure that the Doug once got knocked out cold prior to a match with Coventry after getting a Steve Kindon rocket head slam into the side of his head. Does anyone else remember this ! ?
Had a fellow Season Ticket Holder on the row behind me, mention this very fixture on Wednesday before Kick-Off. 51 years since the last Quarter Final v Coventry is extraordinary.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I liked 70's football.

Agreed. Yes there were bad things about the old days, particularly the hooliganism at games. Imagine though, the likes of George Best, Stan Bowles and Colin Bell playing on the pitches of today. They were brilliant in the mud, and would be even better on todays pitches. I saw some great games in the 70‘s, but also some not so good games, but it is a time I look back on and I am pleased I saw the great teams and players of the era.

Regarding that Wolves v Coventry City game, as I recall it was very keenly contested, and Coventry had chances, but that Wolves forward line back then was pretty good.

Kenny Hibbitt.
John Richards
Derek Dougan
David Wagstaffe.

What great memories these players gave me. Little did I know that a decade later I would be watching the likes of Halifax and Newport beat us easily. Plus, I think we lost a cup game against some team in the north west, with it being watched by the highest attendance in the history of football… :)

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed. Yes there were bad things about the old days, particularly the hooliganism at games. Imagine though, the likes of George Best, Stan Bowles and Colin Bell playing on the pitches of today. They were brilliant in the mud, and would be even better on todays pitches. I saw some great games in the 70‘s, but also some not so good games, but it is a time I look back on and I am pleased I saw the great teams and players of the era.

Regarding that Wolves v Coventry City game, as I recall it was very keenly contested, and Coventry had chances, but that Wolves forward line back then was pretty good.

Kenny Hibbitt.
John Richards
Derek Dougan
David Wagstaffe.

What great memories these players gave me. Little did I know that a decade later I would be watching the likes of Halifax and Newport beat us easily. Plus, I think we lost a cup game against some team in the north west, with it being watched by the highest attendance in the history of football… :)

You see, you mock the attendance at Chorley but I once heard a quote from Lofty Wiseman who was the first bloke on the balcony at the Iranian Embassy Seige.

“Were you at the Embassy Lofty?”

“Yes, me and 3000 other blokes.”

Last edited:

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With you 100% with all you say !!!!

While I no longer have anytime for Forest with their recent behaviours I am glad to have witnessed a side come out of the second division and the next season win the first division ( that is something else great about my formative years as a football fan, the Premier League was Division One not this cow pat nonsense we know have where the 3rd tier in football is farcically called the first division !!!! ) then win the European Cup. This was back when the only teams allowed in it were the Champions not the ever expanding money making ridiculously named Champions League where if it gets any larger teams that finish 8th in their respective leagues will be allowed in. How can you call something the Champions League then let 2,3,4 and in some cases 5th place teams in ???? What Brian Clough did at Forest and prior to that at Derby will never happen again.

As you point out, look at all those teams that won a trophy and others that made it to the major domestic Cup Finals. These days it is rare that anyone outside the Sky Six make it.

Internationally wise there was far less football so an England or other international games meant something. While there were some whipping boys, there was no Andorra, Liechtenstein, San Marino or Faroe Islands. Now it can be harder to get Tesco Club Card points than a cap !!! I watched on TV two of what for me remain the greatest international sides ever in the seventies, the 1972 to 74 West Germans and the 74 Holland team.

I have many great memories of my seventies football years about Wolves ( even if we did go down in 75/76 ) Outside of Wolves it has has to be watching Sunderland beat Leeds 1-0 in the 1973 FA Cup Final. Then witnessing Manure getting relegated !!!!!!
Here here well said, I suppose you had to be there

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was there never forget my hero big Frank Mounties power full header which started the build up to one of the goals, a tough game two good sides

Frank Munro was also my favourite player. The decision to switch him from midfield to centre half was a master stroke. He was the best centre half I have seen in our colours.

Saltyjim

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was interesting seeing Kindon - as sub - having to come on early to replace Jim McCalliog - and playing a role which didn't exactly play to his strengths. Most of his time at Wolves he played up front alongside either Richards or Sunderland from my memory anyway, though I think he was a winger at Burnley?

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I liked 70's football.
That’s because you’ve rose tinted glasses on! I’ve watched a few YouTube games, I started going in the 80’s myself, the keeper would just lump it long, it’s Stoke under Pulis, sorry I much prefer modern football, trying to create patterns to move players out of positions.

Mancwolf56

Groupie
Reaction score
Sorry Mate but Steve Kindon was the sub that day and he came on early for Jimmy Mc who seemed to pull a hammy.
No I just checked and Bailey came on for Kenny. Maybe we’re talking at cross purposes because I’m talking about the Leeds game.

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

And don't forget that Man Utd, Spurs and Chelsea were relegated in the 70's. That's how football should be. No one has a divine right to be in the top flight like nowadays.

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s because you’ve rose tinted glasses on! I’ve watched a few YouTube games, I started going in the 80’s myself, the keeper would just lump it long, it’s Stoke under Pulis, sorry I much prefer modern football, trying to create patterns to move players out of positions.
So you didn't go in the 70s ;)

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Exactly, there is zero chance of a championship club winning the Cup nowadays.

jeb01

Reaction score
The first goal was a classic of its time, with Doog flicking a header on, for John Richards to run onto, outpacing the defender and slotting the ball home.

The two of them timed that move to absolute perfection, with Richards beginning his run as the Doog rose to flick the ball on, so he was already passing his defender as the ball came through.

Simple but very effective, and it worked many a time.

I loved that Wolves team, and 70’s football.

You had to have been there really, but clearly, from the posts above, that era lives long and joyfully in the memory of many!

Lawndog

Reaction score
Was interesting seeing Kindon - as sub - having to come on early to replace Jim McCalliog - and playing a role which didn't exactly play to his strengths. Most of his time at Wolves he played up front alongside either Richards or Sunderland from my memory anyway, though I think he was a winger at Burnley?
I thought Kindon and Sunderland paired fantastically when Doog and King John were both absent at the back end of the '73/4 season.....check out the results on soccerbase!

Back
Top Bottom