Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

FA CUP Round SIX March 17th 1973 Wolves 2 Coventry 0

Rowzed

Reaction score
I went to that game, stood in the cowshed and then to Maine Road, it was such a disappointment to lose that match. I hated Leeds then and still do.

Willie Carr one of the few players who could control and pass accurately with his first touch, it can’t have been long after that he got a haircut and came to Wolves. What a great player!

They always say semifinal defeat is the cruellest

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My Mum had some green cotton gardening gloves that I would wear and call my Gary Pierce gloves. Then if I wanted to be that great eccentric German keeper Sepp Maier I would don my Dad's concreting gloves as Sepp Maier's gloves always seemed like The Incredible Hulk's mitts !!!!!!!!!
ha ha ... you and me both ...

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just to pick up on your final paragraph, Norman.

I was at that match when a Kindon rocket knocked out the Doog in the pre match warm up. Doog did recover if I am correct and played.

I saw Steve Kindon a couple of times a few years ago when he was an after dinner speaker ( a good one as well) at some sporting do's I attended. He always mentioned the incident with the Doog and said Bill McGarry raced onto the pitch when it happened and threatened to put 'Kindo' on the transfer list!
Doog did recover and flicked on for King John to score the first goal.

WTF was his header disallowed for??

Even VAR wouldn't have been able to overturn our penalty, it was a two pronged assault

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My Mum had some green cotton gardening gloves that I would wear and call my Gary Pierce gloves. Then if I wanted to be that great eccentric German keeper Sepp Maier I would don my Dad's concreting gloves as Sepp Maier's gloves always seemed like The Incredible Hulk's mitts !!!!!!!!!
He wore wicket keepers gloves

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
50,106 saw Wolves win 2-0 with goals from a Kenny Hibbitt penalty and John Richards. The side that day was Phil Parkes / Gerry Taylor / Derek Parkin / Bernard Shaw / Frank Munro / John McAlle / Jim McCalliog / Kenny Hibbitt / John Richards / Derek Dougan / Dave Wagstaffe.

There is a wonderful 23 minute highlights package on YouTube posted by Mercian1969 . If one of my far more computer talented Mixers could post a link to that I feel sure that everyone who is a Woves fan will enjoy watching it. Especially the penalty kick demonstration from King Kenny Hibbitt on how to run up without any need to stutter and drill the shoot right into to the corner of the net .

I am sure that the Doug once got knocked out cold prior to a match with Coventry after getting a Steve Kindon rocket head slam into the side of his head. Does anyone else remember this ! ?
yes he did. I was there. great match

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I went to that game, stood in the cowshed and then to Maine Road, it was such a disappointment to lose that match. I hated Leeds then and still do.

Willie Carr one of the few players who could control and pass accurately with his first touch, it can’t have been long after that he got a haircut and came to Wolves. What a great player!

100% agree. we have lost our last 5. if we make lets hope we make the final.........and win

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For those of you watching in black and white , get a colour tv, you tight arses

I remember going around to a mate's house to watch the Cup Final because his family had a colour tv.

When we eventually did get a colour TV it was delivered on a Friday. The next day I remember watching the ITV Seven and BBC horse racing. Not because I had turned into some gambler, no it was the fantastic array of colours on the jockeys silks and how green the grass was that got my attention ! Years of watching TV on a monochrome set with an indoor aerial will do that to you !!!!

The new colour tv set also had Teletext, it was like going from the Wright Brothers first ever Kitty Hawk plane to an Apollo space rocket !!!!!!!

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember going around to a mate's house to watch the Cup Final because his family had a colour tv.

When we eventually did get a colour TV it was delivered on a Friday. The next day I remember watching the ITV Seven and BBC horse racing. Not because I had turned into some gambler, no it was the fantastic array of colours on the jockeys silks and how green the grass was that got my attention ! Years of watching TV on a monochrome set with an indoor aerial will do that to you !!!!

The new colour tv set also had Teletext, it was like going from the Wright Brothers first ever Kitty Hawk plane to an Apollo space rocket !!!!!!!
These kids today doe know them born :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doog did recover and flicked on for King John to score the first goal.

WTF was his header disallowed for??

Even VAR wouldn't have been able to overturn our penalty, it was a two pronged assault

See the way John Richards just got up and got on with it. Can you imagine Podence or Hwang in that situation, they'd be ****ing rolling around, holding their face as if they'd been shot?! Different times.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't remember much about the game but assume I was clad in Ben Sherman, braces, Levi's and Oxbloods, as was the terrace garb for some at that time.
Crazy footballing days but nevertheless enjoyable one's following the Wolves.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
50,106 saw Wolves win 2-0 with goals from a Kenny Hibbitt penalty and John Richards. The side that day was Phil Parkes / Gerry Taylor / Derek Parkin / Bernard Shaw / Frank Munro / John McAlle / Jim McCalliog / Kenny Hibbitt / John Richards / Derek Dougan / Dave Wagstaffe.

There is a wonderful 23 minute highlights package on YouTube posted by Mercian1969 . If one of my far more computer talented Mixers could post a link to that I feel sure that everyone who is a Woves fan will enjoy watching it. Especially the penalty kick demonstration from King Kenny Hibbitt on how to run up without any need to stutter and drill the shoot right into to the corner of the net .

I am sure that the Doug once got knocked out cold prior to a match with Coventry after getting a Steve Kindon rocket head slam into the side of his head. Does anyone else remember this ! ?

That was a rather good Wolves team. I was in the North Bank that day and you could see the south bank was packed solid. And it must be said Coventry had a decent side back then. It was a hard fought victory, and King John’s goal was a thing of beauty.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

That semi final defeat was a big blow. King John hit the post with a shot and if I remember correctly it rolled agonisingly along the line. Wolves didn’t deserve to lose that day. The only consolation was I was best man at my friends wedding, which was the day of the final.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Monty python communist quiz;
"In what year did Coventry City last win the FA cup?"
"I'm not surprised you didn't get that one Che, it was a trick question in fact Coventry City have never won the FA cup."

:cool:

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Noticeable that when Richards got splattered for the penalty he just sat up, dusted himself off and got on with it. Same player today would be rolling around feigning injury that would delay things for a good five minutes.

Does anyone know why Dougan's headed goal was disallowed? Hugh Johns says the ref saw an infringement, but it looks like minimal contact compared to the wrestling at corners these days. VAR would have taken a look!

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does anyone know why Dougan's headed goal was disallowed? Hugh Johns says the ref saw an infringement, but it looks like minimal contact compared to the wrestling at corners these days. VAR would have taken a look!

I can’t remember why it was disallowed, but the Doog was not happy with the decision. Like most centre halves and centre forwards back then, the Doog often led with his elbows. I can only guess that is what the referee saw.

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I didn’t realise that Huckleberry Hound was blue until my dad got us a colour TV.

Then I got into trouble for constantly adjusting the colour button

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
ha ha ... you and me both ...
Gary Pierce made the 9 year old me want to be a keeper and that was a position I played until my last game which was at molineux in2016 aged 52 !

I also had the privilege of playing at Luton on the plastic pitch, Cambridge United , Cambridge city and other grounds at a semi pro and amateur level.

If you want to see my last ever game Google wolves legends 14th May 2016 on YouTube

I wasn’t a bad keeper . Even Bully the opposition manager that day conceded that

I also worked with Mark Kendall and he was a cracking man. Fun lively and a good support to training police. Sadly missed .

Last edited:

Wolflaw

Reaction score
I remember being in the South Bank and was surrounded by Coventry fans when we got the penalty and so couldn’t celebrate, however happily when King John scored they all seemed to have disappeared.
Richards scored early in the first half and the penalty was in the second.

Wolflaw

Reaction score
That semi final defeat was a big blow. King John hit the post with a shot and if I remember correctly it rolled agonisingly along the line. Wolves didn’t deserve to lose that day. The only consolation was I was best man at my friends wedding, which was the day of the final.
It hit the very inside of the post and bounced back into Harvey's arms.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jesus let’s not kid ourselves the football in the 70’s was awful

Southdownswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gary Pierce made the 9 year old me want to be a keeper and that was a position I played until my last game which was at molineux in2016 aged 52 !

I also had the privilege of playing at Luton on the plastic pitch, Cambridge United , Cambridge city and other grounds at a semi pro and amateur level.

If you want to see my last ever game Google wolves legends 14th May 2016 on YouTube

I wasn’t a bad keeper . Even Bully the opposition manager that day conceded that

I also worked with Mark Kendall and he was a cracking man. Fun lively and a good support to training police. Sadly missed .
My only recollections of Cambridge City were going there supporting Bromsgrove Rovers.
My sister's and I turned up, the ground was really quiet and we found out the match was postponed. One of the players, Sylvester Cunningham had turned up, driving from work, unaware it had been postponed (pre-mobile phones!) So we chatted for a while before heading back.
In the rearranged match, we stood near the players tunnel as they ran out. Sylvo turned and waved at us as he ran out, and ran straight into the half way flag!
Good times.

Back
Top Bottom