Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

FA Cup Replays SCRAPPED

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely if all the EFL clubs band together and issue a statement saying they condemn this decision and they were not consulted the matter will have to be reconsidered. Football is 92 clubs (+ all the non-league ones who will have a massive interest in the outcome of this), not just the elite 20 or super-elite 6. Football should be about the fans and the combined number of fans who support the 72 EFL clubs is surely more than those who support the 20 Prem clubs?

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
BBC commentator Darren Fletcher did a bit of a mini rant / summary of everything that's wrong with the Premier League and how it's impacting on English football on Radio 5 tonight, including scrapping FA Cup replays.

This is the link for the whole programme, including cloth eared West Ham coach Kevin Davies completely missing the point as he whines about the top players being tired.

Last edited:

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh don’t get me wrong I’m not suggesting that this has been to help anyone but the big clubs, but the schedule in the football league is absolutely daft and this will help that a little bit.

I’d also agree that it’s **** that the rest of the pyramid wasn’t consulted.

However replays aren’t unique to the FA cup. The league cup had them for about 30 years, until they got rid of them.

If The number of fixtures and scheduling was going to be an issue they shouldn’t have added extra teams and expanded the European competitions. What they’ve done is exoand those then say oh dear we’ve got too many fixtures now, but we’ll fix it by removing some from the FA cup

Southdownswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They; the Fa and the PL , are quickly stripping the soul out of the game. The FA Cup used to be known as the greatest competition in football, if not sport as a whole. However, over the last few years they have degraded it more and more.
The introduction and implementation of VAR another case in point. Even more so when looking at it's implementation in the Cup.
They need to scrap VAR and keep replays.
If the big 6 don't want a replay, then they forfeit the match and give the lower league team £1m.

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The FA cup was once the greatest cup to win then comes along the Premier League and the Champions League and after many predicted it has the same status as the Milk,Carling,Rumblelows,Carabao or whatever you wanna call it. Little clubs could dream of a glamour replay and many did succeed with blood sweat and tears in their home game but that’s going. I’ve got to be honest I’m less and less bothered. Football for me is solely about Wolves now I watch very few other games including England. Another gripe of mine is the Champions League or the European cup as it was formerly known. The clue is in the name and should only include champions of their respective countries not also rans coming in 2nd,3rd,4th and if my son is telling me the truth even 5th place will qualify too? Load of crap the powers that run the game couldn’t run a ****ing bath.

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Surely if all the EFL clubs band together and issue a statement saying they condemn this decision and they were not consulted the matter will have to be reconsidered. Football is 92 clubs (+ all the non-league ones who will have a massive interest in the outcome of this), not just the elite 20 or super-elite 6. Football should be about the fans and the combined number of fans who support the 72 EFL clubs is surely more than those who support the 20 Prem clubs?
Fans are an after thought these days.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

There have been enough clubs issuing statements criticising the decision. I hope they do get together and make an official protest. The FA has already had to make another statement defending their decision. They are on the back foot and I think this disgraceful decision could still be overturned, but it needs all the EFL clubs to get together and present a united front.

munro

Reaction score
I used to love the FA Cup, but now I couldn't give a ****. Some of my best memories are cup replays, Ipswich a few times, Middlesbrough and Shrewsbury in the 6th round to name but a few. I can understand no replay in the semis as it's a neutral ground and is best finished on the day.

Coventry was really annoying at the time, but am I missing an overpriced trip to Wembley this Sunday? Not at all.
For me it died when they moved the semi-finals to Wembley.
I agree that moving the semi - finals to Wembley killed the magic of the final. Great past memories of semis at neutral grounds. Not sure why they stopped replays from the first round but on the flip side if smaller teams can play out a draw with the big clubs they have a chance of winning on penalties on the day.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of Tranmere's most memorable ever games is being 3-0 down at half time in an FA Cup replay to top flight Southampton, which they then won 4-3. I think you are being short sighted, and I normally agree with most of your posts.
Totally fair enough pal, and I actually remember that game, although I have to point out it was well over 20 years ago. Our last exciting replay was probably Sheff Wed in the 90s.

As I say, accept I’m in the minority, but I just don’t particularly like replays.

We went to Shrewsbury in the cup under Nuno, played ****, salvaged a draw. Replay, which we win despite John Ruddy playing like a clown.
If that first game, in front of a pretty hostile crowd, at Shrewsbury had gone to pens instead of a replay, they would have had a far better chance of getting into the next round.

TF2Wolf

Reaction score
I’m sure it probably won’t happen but I wonder what the FA would do if all the EFL clubs declined to participate in the FA Cup this season.

If as they say it’s all about player welfare with the number of games then maybe an idea they could implement a cap on the total number of games a player can participate in over a year, including European and exhibition/pre-season games.

It’s a shame that tradition really doesn’t count for anything with these people.

VAR, now this, games being played all hours of the day all days of the week, clubs who can finish fourth in a league qualifying for a competition that is somehow called the champions league, all without any real thought for the matchday dans, just feels to me like the soul of the game we love is being ripped apart.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A reminder that Tottenham play Newcastle in a friendly in Australia on 22 May. Merely 3 days after the end of the season. But we'll scrap fa cup because of the schedule?!?
This posturing is all too late though, the American owners are the foxes in the henhouse. If you can't see the direction of travel to no domestic cups, expanded club WC, games played abroad, expanded champs league then you are being wilfully blind.
It will be the slow death, drip feeding concessions every time they ask for something. They tried to barge the door down with the superleague, now it will be done by stealth.
The power is concentrated in the elite clubs and it's only going one way. The other clubs, fa and Uefa will just go along and probably enable it once they get their cut of the money.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Traditionally the FA have made changes to the competition so this change fits into that tradition. They should have consulted all the stakeholders first. If the EFL want more more matches they could propose their own changes like having the 1st to the 4th rounds played over two legs. Now the Premier League wouldn't like that but there's no reason why the EFL couldn't propose it. Or do it just for the 1st and 2nd rounds before the Championship and Premier League teams enter the cup. Of course they won't get the glamour of an away trip to a big ground but it will guarantee them an extra home match each season to make a bit of dosh.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
This paragraph shows where the real driver is though.

From the first round proper, the competition will be played without replays. The current format, which has no replays from the fifth round onwards, has been extended throughout the ‘Competition Proper’ in light of changes to the calendar driven by the expanded UEFA competitions

So once again the game here is being driven by UEFA's endless greed in ever expanding its competitions. Basically they have gained the midweeks for 3rd and 4th round replays to free up European slots. This means the clubs playing in Europe generate more money for themselves and less for everyone else. Pull that ladder up behind you boys.

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Totally fair enough pal, and I actually remember that game, although I have to point out it was well over 20 years ago. Our last exciting replay was probably Sheff Wed in the 90s.

As I say, accept I’m in the minority, but I just don’t particularly like replays.

We went to Shrewsbury in the cup under Nuno, played ****, salvaged a draw. Replay, which we win despite John Ruddy playing like a clown.
If that first game, in front of a pretty hostile crowd, at Shrewsbury had gone to pens instead of a replay, they would have had a far better chance of getting into the next round.
Hostile crowd at Shrewsbury? There's an oxymoron :D

Henry Palfrey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Government Football Regulator:
The IFR will have 3 primary objectives. One of which is:
Heritage - to safeguard the traditional features of English football that matter most to the fans and local communities of clubs

Coffs Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
The fish rots from the head.
The corrupting influence of Havelange and Samaranch lives on in sport.

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
Completely in favour of PL clubs. Killing our game. Slightly off topic but I also wish our cup competitions would get more respect.

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The championship and all the English league teams should gang together and stop this latest example of PL greed and selfishness from ruining our cup competitions... :mad:

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder how many Championship clubs also want to get rid of replays. A fair few play weaker teams in the FA Cup and want to focus on getting promoted.

Mardenboroughs Shoulder

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
They'll kill the smaller clubs and I thought the FA was supposed to be all about the good of the game and grass roots football. FA cup replays are part of the magic as well as a money spiner for lower league clubs.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder how many Championship clubs also want to get rid of replays. A fair few play weaker teams in the FA Cup and want to focus on getting promoted.
Had a conversation yesterday with someone from Walsall football Club .....he said the only thing they were angry with , was not being consulted.....he said they would have agreed to ditch replays if consulted ....most of the clubs agree there is too much football across the board ...

Back
Top Bottom