Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

FA Cup Drawn Matches - The Future

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's obviously been changes to this over the years with a lot of talk around how drawn matches should be handled going forward particularly to ensure lower division clubs maximise their earnings from a cup run.

My suggestion is that before each match is played both clubs have to come to an agreement over what should happen in the event of a draw after 90 minutes:-

a. Extra time and penalties if still drawing
b. Replay then extra time and penalties if still drawing

If both clubs can't agree in advance it reverts automatically to b.

I would imagine all lower division clubs would choose b. but that most higher division clubs would select a. but at least it would mean most matches between higher division clubs would be done and dusted quickly freeing up the football calendar.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d just scrap replays full stop.

Could even have a rule that if the two clubs involved in a tie were from different divisions a draw means the lower league club go through.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does anyone else remember the Sheffield Wednesday v Arsenal Third Round FA Cup clash in the late 70’s I think. The first game was played at Hillsborough. It was a draw so they played the replay at Highbury, which also ended in a draw after extra time. It took three more games before the was decided, all were played at Leicester’s Filbert Street ground.

Imagine the furore if playing until there was a winner still happened.

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does anyone else remember the Sheffield Wednesday v Arsenal Third Round FA Cup clash in the late 70’s I think. The first game was played at Hillsborough. It was a draw so they played the replay at Highbury, which also ended in a draw after extra time. It took three more games before the was decided, all were played at Leicester’s Filbert Street ground.

Imagine the furore if playing until there was a winner still happened.
Another example from 1955-56. Burnley v Chelsea. FAC4:

28 Jan FAC4. @ Burnley D 1-1
01 Feb FAC4R @ Chelsea D 1-1
06 Feb FAC 4 R2 @ Birmingham D 2-2
13 Feb FAC4 R3 @ Arsenal D 0-0
15 Feb FAC4 R4 @ Tottenham - Chelsea won 2-0

Last edited:

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

13 Feb FAC4 R3 @ Arsenal D 0-0
15 Feb FAC4 R5 @ Tottenham - Chelsea won 2-0
What happened to R4???? Or is the last one a typo?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My suggestion is re-instate as many replays as it takes, scrap the misnamed Champions' League and replace with a European Cup which only allows champions in.
Whatever your views of the rights or wrongs that's never going to happen. More likely is no FA Cup and a bigger Champions League. All about the ££££s.....

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

13 Feb FAC4 R3 @ Highbury D 0-0
15 Feb FAC4 R5 @ White Hart Lane - Chelsea won 2-0

Leicester were only meant to host the second replay, but both Arsenal and Sheffield Wednesday asked for the next replay to be at Filbert Street, as it was reasonably easy for fans to get to.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
T
Well spotted WW - a typo (now corrected)
TBH l had wondered if it was a typo or a tie has been missed....

Similar things happen in other sports too - l still remember that crazy fifth set at Wimbledon...

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My suggestion is re-instate as many replays as it takes, scrap the misnamed Champions' League and replace with a European Cup which only allows champions in.
It’ll never catch on.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Discussed briefly on the radio the other day with an EFL chairman, who was previously a PL chairman. He was adamant that replays need to remain for the income opportunities for lower league clubs. He understood the desire by those competing in Europe to reduce the pressure of extra games, but rightly pointed out that clubs in the lower leagues can end up playing 60+ games too, and they don’t have the squad depth that most top PL clubs do.

For me, I’d limit it to one replay, and if that ends up all square after 90 mins, go straight to penalties.

purplepault69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would vote for "leave alone " or restrict to one replay as suggested by Sussex Wolf above.
Perhaps clubs should be asked which competitions they wish to enter at the start of the season so giving them the option of not entering the FA Cup if it gets in the way of other money making schemes.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would vote for "leave alone " or restrict to one replay as suggested by Sussex Wolf above.
Perhaps clubs should be asked which competitions they wish to enter at the start of the season so giving them the option of not entering the FA Cup if it gets in the way of other money making schemes.
Clubs can opt not to enter (e.g.) the F.A. cup. Didn't ManUre do it some years ago as it clashed with a World Club Champs date ?

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me, the club lower in the league standings should be given home advantage (as happens in Germany) with the option of choosing to play at the other clubs ground. So if (e.g.) Maidstone drew Walsall they'd play at home (in the anticipation of progressing further and more income), but if they drew Citeh they'd go to the Etihad for a big payday.
Either way the authorities need to find some way of channelling funds into the lower tiers.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree with the OP that replays must stay, unless both sides agree beforehand to settle the first game there and then with a shootout. That still gives a lower league side the veto over a Premier League side that doesn't want to proceed. Both sides agreeing to scrap the replay could be valuable to sides in the same division trying to avoid a fixture pileup.

purplepault69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Clubs can opt not to enter (e.g.) the F.A. cup. Didn't ManUre do it some years ago as it clashed with a World Club Champs date ?
Yes I realise that but it is so annoying when the so called big clubs moan about fixture pile ups and then travel to the other side of the World to play in some 2 team contest that actually means nothing to everyday fans.

Oldvic161

Groupie
Reaction score
Seed the 3rd round, all prem teams play the lowest ranked 20 teams, improves all 20’s finances, keep replays

Saltyjim

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ignore the annual moans from the Prem managers and keep it as it is. I don't agree with the clubs in Europe getting a bye at the start of the League Cup. It's not as if they play their first team often in the early stages of the competition.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Going against opinion on here but personally I think they should scrap replays, as I feel the fans that have gone to the original tie should see the conclusion.

Back
Top Bottom