Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

FA Charge again : Chelsea Homophobic chants

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The FA wanting their pound of flesh after the Pod saga. Given the police arrests and charges, not to mention the announcement and response from some, this will be hard for the club to defend.....

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I may be wrong here as only had a quick Google search, but it seems clubs were told in January that they could be charged for this happening.

Since then, it's happened in several games, including Liverpool, Spurs and Leeds, but I don't see those clubs being charged?

drewsie

Groupie
Reaction score
I may be wrong here as only had a quick Google search, but it seems clubs were told in January that they could be charged for this happening.

Since then, it's happened in several games, including Liverpool, Spurs and Leeds, but I don't see those clubs being

If this is the case then it looks as though we’re being made an example of!

Don’t get me wrong we’ve got more than our fair share of ****wits, and in this day and age what happened can’t be brushed under the rug (and let’s be honest here…we’ve got history - taunting Brighton fans home and away in years gone by).

From the clubs point of view, there was an announcement made over the PA system, arrests were made…I think. Don’t really know what more they can do???

After that Rio Ferdinand raciest moron arrest and subsequent charge, now this, I’m afraid we might get hammered for it

Monk

Groupie
Reaction score
Not condoning the chant but I had this "kid" probably no more than 20 next to me in the South Bank singing it. I asked him did he know what It was about and he didn't have a clue. Like a lots of others who didn't know he thought it was ok just a chant- ignorance isn't an excuse unfortunately.

The club did all they possibly could as had been said before but the FA don't like us so I'm expecting a 15 point deduction

However, on a lighter note why don't rhe stripey lot get charged with inciting violence with their "slap a single" chant. Guess they need to get in the premier league first.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think the club did all they could at the time, other than follow the met and arrest people on the pretext they may join in, what else could they have done?

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I see those fine morale ambassadors Sky Sports are on their high horse about it ( the chanting is unacceptable before anyone misconstrues what I am about to say ) lecturing everyone, while they hope we do not notice their coverage of events held in Arabian and others countries where homosexuality is banned.

Last edited:

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
the club have been charged over the 2 sets of chanting.

They made an announcement after the first set of chanting which I think is all they could do so the first charge is a bit of a joke.

After the second set of chanting they probably should of made an announcement that if it continues the players would be taken off the pitch.

We can all argue that it’s just a bit of banter but we as fans know that this chat now classed as homophobic just like the songs about Brighton fans. I don’t want our club or fans to come across in a bad light so maybe it’s time to listen to club and stop chanting it?

I doubt very much if anyone was offended by the chant but it’s not worth the hassle to carry on singing it

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What more could the club have done in fairness? The FA proving yet again as in the Podence farce that they are a joke organisation.

mikic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can we be docked points?

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m assuming this is just laziness on behalf of the FA. Charging us because the announcement and removal of fans is effectively admitting that it happened, so no need for the FA to do any actual work to prove it.

Other fans of other clubs have done it, but because we made an official announcement and then removed fans for doing it, we get charged.

Yet if we had ignored it like the other clubs did, effectively pretending it didn’t happen, there’d be no charge!

Can’t really win!

Once again the FA’s actions are encouraging the wrong behaviours.

They are effectively rewarding the clubs who do nothing about it.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What are we supposed to do. We dealt with it the best way we could. What are we supposed to do, just not have fans at games in case there is an idiot.

MikeH68

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I’m assuming this is just laziness on behalf of the FA. Charging us because the announcement and removal of fans is effectively admitting that it happened, so no need for the FA to do any actual work to prove it.

Other fans of other clubs have done it, but because we made an official announcement and then removed fans for doing it, we get charged.

Yet if we had ignored it like the other clubs did, effectively pretending it didn’t happen, there’d be no charge!

Can’t really win!

Once again the FA’s actions are encouraging the wrong behaviours.

They are effectively rewarding the clubs who do nothing about it.
That’s exactly been my point all along. Made the announcement, it was therefore more noticeable to some fans including myself (who didn’t hear it initially), more idiots join in. Brought to the attention of the football authorities due to the announcement. I am not saying what is right or wrong, just events.

bigwolf

Reaction score

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The club should seek written guidance from the FA as to what is expected of it and how this can be achieved.

Yep. I dont get what we are supposed to do. All we can do is react to something that we have no initial control over. Our only option is to rectifty what happens as quickly as possible appropriately.

R

reanswolf

Chelsea apparently also had it sung at them this season at Forest, Leeds, Spurs and Man City, and Man Utd sang it at Frank Lampard.

Wolves seem to be getting singled out . They should highlight this. I think Wolves did all they could by announcing that it is unacceptable. I may be wrong but did they sing it twice?

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Chelsea apparently also had it sung at them this season at Forest, Leeds, Spurs and Man City, and Man Utd sang it at Frank Lampard.

Wolves seem to be getting singled out . They should highlight this. I think Wolves did all they could by announcing that it is unacceptable. I may be wrong but did they sing it twice?

Yep. Very much hope we highlight this to the FA and ask for answers as to why we are being charged when the club did everything it could to stop it and why other clubs havent been charged.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some people just don't get it unfortunately.

The linked article is a very good piece that helps with context. Written from a Liverpool perspective but I encourage everyone to read it.

It’s a good article and worth a read for anyone doubting whether it represents a homophobic chant or not.

As for the charge, it’s a farce. If the FA told clubs back in January that clubs could or would be charged if their fans sang this chant, then where are the charges for the other instances? This is especially the case for clubs which took no action during or after the incidents. So I assume our defence will be that we promptly told fans over the tannoy to stop, and after the match, assisted the authorities in identifying perpetrators. I’m not aware it was some fan protest organised in advance that the club could have reasonably known about and taken action to prevent, so to charge a club who takes the required action, and not others which don’t, seems perverse.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
on a related note, I am surprised that no English league player has come out as gay yet, (this is a semi serious point) because it could actually make their career. Could we get a situation where a straight young player pretends they are gay to get the exposure and gamble on it opening doors? (Who knows, what about bi, would that count?)
Even so, I would not be surprised if a player was signed by a team above their ability level and even fast tracked to the England team.
This is a genuine discussion point. The fact none have, what does that mean?
Is the culture of football too toxic for a gay person, is there just no gay players (maybe put off a youth level) but now comfortable at youth level so will start appearing soon? Maybe there are gay players and they don't see it as an issue/or want the media attention. Who knows. I dont really care. Even the biggest homophobe would be chanting the name of a player who scores 20 goals, its how people work.

What's the point of discussing a hypothetical scenario you've just dreamt up?

I suspect part of the reason gay footballers haven't come out is because some ... would think they're doing it just to get exposure, be signed by a team above their ability level, and even fast-tracked into the England team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom