Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Exactly 28 years ago today - May 11th 1991

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was about to add Sit Down by James to the excellent thread about songs that remind us of Wolves when I saw the date I remembered the South Bank singing their own version of the song and thought I would ask fans if they have any memories of the day.

Wolves were beating Pompey 3-1 at Molineux to end the season ( Birch, Downing and Mutchy ) which was great and I am sure young Vince Bartram played in goal.

This was prior to the social media and i phone information era we now live in, the South Bank was awash with radio's ( I was going to use the term trannies but I decided not too as these days I could be hauled over the coals by the " you cannot say that Brigade " in my defence back then it was small radio ! ) as there was far more interest in what was going on involving the Scumbags from the Poorthorns in Bath.

The venue caused massed panic and confusion amongst the West Bromwich fans as most of them have never seen a bath ! Albion needed a win v Bristol Rovers to survive and even then it was unlikely ( For younger readers Rovers were playing in Bath at the home of the rugby club as they had sold Eastville their ground of many years that was next to Stapleton Road Gas works which is why Bristol Rovers still carry the nickname of " The Gas " in some quarters, I am a mine of trivial tripe ! ) to save them as it was all but done and dusted.

The result came in from Bath, Bristol Rovers 2 WBA .................. 2 After years of their smug gloating as we crashed through the divisions the boot was now comfortably on the other foot !

This is where James came in with the hit of " Oh sit down " Immediately some lyricist changed the title to " Oh **** down, **** down in division three ! " this work of genius was immediately taken up by thousands as we belted it out.

Some lads had a bed sheet with " Division 2 says bye bye to you Baggie *******s " As we travelling back to the South West we asked if we could have to strap to the bridge that spans one of the service stations on the M5 as the distraught Scumbags would be coming home that way from Bath. This we did with superb speed and precision. As none of us had colours on we decided to see the reaction as a mini bus full of failed genetic experiments pulled in. They went berserk as you can imagine !

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was that the season where it was either Blues or Albion to go down on the final day?

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The venue caused massed panic and confusion amongst the West Bromwich fans as most of them have never seen a bath !
:D

( For younger readers Rovers were playing in Bath at the home of the rugby club
Great story! Just a point of note, Twerton Park was (is) home of Bath City FC. It’s the Memorial Ground where they play now that used to be the rugby ground (Bristol RFC).

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
My memory for this stuff is terrible but just to be pedantic Bristol Rovers didn't play at Bath Rugby Club, they ground shared with Bath City at Twerton Park.

Also seems too late for Batram to be playing?

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The team that day:
1 Vince Bartram
2 Tom Bennett
3 Andy Thompson
4 Rob Hindmarch (12 Robbie Dennison)
5 Nicky Clarke
6 Keith Downing
7 Paul Birch
8 Paul Cook
9 John Paskin (14 Colin Taylor)
10 Andy Mutch
11 Mark Burke

Guy Whittingham played for Pompey and was subbed for another future Wolf Darren Anderton

Last edited:

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The team that day:
1 Vince Bartram
2 Tom Bennett
3 Andy Thompson
4 Rob Hindmarch (Robbie Dennison)
5 Nicky Clarke
6 Keith Downing
7 Paul Birch
8 Paul Cook
9 John Paskin (Colin Taylor)
10 Andy Mutch
11 Mark Burke

Guy Whittingham played for Pompey and was subbed for another future Wolf Darren Anderton

Many thanks for that line up. I have a memory that as it was the final home game of the season the players came over to the Steve Bull ( John Ireland as it was then ) and the South Bank to say thank you ( only two sides then ) A injured Bully was there and thousands of us worried if that was the last time we would see God as a Wolves player as all sorts of transfer rumours were swirling around. I remember one daft one that gathered momentum was he would go to Villa in exchange for cash and players. Thankfully it was the usual bull honkie as rather like Sky inventing football after 1992 Twitter and facebook did not invent drivel and daft rumours they have always been with us they just spread quicker these day days !

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The team that day:
1 Vince Bartram
2 Tom Bennett
3 Andy Thompson
4 Rob Hindmarch (12 Robbie Dennison)
5 Nicky Clarke
6 Keith Downing
7 Paul Birch
8 Paul Cook
9 John Paskin (14 Colin Taylor)
10 Andy Mutch
11 Mark Burke

Good god, a game where Anderton was fit enough to play.....

Back
Top Bottom