Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Europe’s Top 100 Attendances

Hsvwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting........The stripey lot down at 84. Stand out for me is FC St Pauli .......over 29,000 @ 55 in Bundesliga 2

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Interestingly read an article today about Atlanta in the MLS, their first season in a city which has NFL and Baseball teams and they have averaged 48k per game with two crowds over 70k! Would put them around 25th in Europe.

The House of Wolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
But German football is about half the cost of English football!! Imagine if our championship clubs had 35-40000 grounds and £15 tickets including free public transport?
Season ticket holders at Wolves are not far off.

£345 in the South Bank = £15 a game. As I've said previously, I'd have zero problem if the club made walk up tickets the same price. In fact I'd actually love the bigger crowd and atmosphere.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we could average 30K, which we should do in the Prem, we would scrape in at around 50th in Europe.

E

Essex Wolf

That's pretty impressive all things considered and I imagine Wolves could raise a few places yet if the season carries on as it has been.

MarkFu

Reaction score
But German football is about half the cost of English football!! Imagine if our championship clubs had 35-40000 grounds and £15 tickets including free public transport?

In my experience its only the terraces in Germany that are well priced. Seats are at least as pricey as here. I also find German fans quite fickle with crowds dropping by a good 20-25k for some relegated teams. The transport thing is great though, I used to watch Kaiserslauterm most weeks (and Monchengladbach when I lived further north), trains within 50km 3 hours before and after the match were free. On Kaiserslauterm, their stadium has fantastic acoustics, the roof keeps the noise in perfectly. I had some great times watching German football, match quality was nowhere near English standards outside the top flight, but the experience is very good.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Season ticket holders at Wolves are not far off.

£345 in the South Bank = £15 a game. As I've said previously, I'd have zero problem if the club made walk up tickets the same price. In fact I'd actually love the bigger crowd and atmosphere.
I'd have got a season ticket this year if I'd have known I could make the majority/ a good 18 home games but didn't know at the start. So I'll probably end up paying more than season ticket holders over the season!

Yes about the same for STH but for their POTD fans is cheaper.
Only been to hertha Berlin v Stuttgart we paid £16 for steve bull upper type seats. Very loud and the bar comes to you!

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just looked at Kaiserslauten ground, that west kurve is enormous, must be a similar size to Dortmunds?
German grounds are a lot more basic and concrete but just look better. That's how we should make the new south bank it wouldn't even cost that much.

The House of Wolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If we could average 30K, which we should do in the Prem, we would scrape in at around 50th in Europe.
We’d get 3-4K upwards of 30k easily if the ground would allow it.

Playing like we are now with this squad and a few additions I feel we could average around 37,000 in the top flight, with around 40k for the bigger fixtures and 33k for the lesser teams.

MarkFu

Reaction score
Just looked at Kaiserslauten ground, that west kurve is enormous, must be a similar size to Dortmunds?
German grounds are a lot more basic and concrete but just look better. That's how we should make the new south bank it wouldn't even cost that much.

It is big Yes, think it only holds 14k though. The bottom half is a proper terrace, with the top half being rail seats. It is very steep for a terrace. The stadium does look fairly basic, but the concourse is huge, no massive queues for anything. It's up a fair old hill to the stadium and getting to the top of that terrace is hard work after a few beers (and carrying more).

G

German Wolf

In my experience its only the terraces in Germany that are well priced. Seats are at least as pricey as here. I also find German fans quite fickle with crowds dropping by a good 20-25k for some relegated teams. The transport thing is great though, I used to watch Kaiserslauterm most weeks (and Monchengladbach when I lived further north), trains within 50km 3 hours before and after the match were free. On Kaiserslauterm, their stadium has fantastic acoustics, the roof keeps the noise in perfectly. I had some great times watching German football, match quality was nowhere near English standards outside the top flight, but the experience is very good.

Great post. But, dear me. BMG and Kaiserslautern

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Those 2 are well supported aren't they considering they only come from smallish cities?
What's the best derby in Germany? Schalke Dortmund? I'd say Germany is most similar to our leagues for attendances just we've got 4 well supported divisions.

MarkFu

Reaction score
Kaiserslautern was small, only about 150k I think, but huge catchment area.

MG is a lot bigger, it's a fair bit bigger than Wolves I think, maybe 300k.

G

German Wolf

Kaiserslautern was small, only about 150k I think, but huge catchment area.

MG is a lot bigger, it's a fair bit bigger than Wolves I think, maybe 300k.

Vast area to gain supporters from for KL.
PS. I know the 'lived there done that club' thing with FC Koeln, Hertha Berlin And Eintracht Trier. Due to the first one on that list, I am not allowed to recognise the numerous positives of BMG and FCK. LOL.

W

Wolfgang Wolf

I first went to Dortmund in the late 70s when their average attendance was in the high 20,000s. They are now the best supported club in the WORLD ! with average gates over 80,000.
Surely the reasons behind this dramatic rise should be studied . I don't claim to have the answer other than an overriding concentration on the interests of their core working class , sud tribune, ie south bank, support.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Plus maybe having consistently the best team in the country except Bayern Munich which helps. But yes to increase it by x4 is impressive.

T

TornadoTed

Is Barca's attendance so low because of that game they played behind closed doors recently? I thought they got much higher than that.

T

TornadoTed

Is Barca's attendance so low because of that game they played behind closed doors recently? I thought they got much higher than that.

I guess it must be because they averaged just under 78,000 last year which would put them 2nd in the list. It is amazing how their attendance fluctuates though, 98,000 against Real Madrid, 56,000 against Gijon.

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Isn't St Pauli something of a tourist magnet for lefties?

yeah mate, their ground even comes with a built in "safe space" and trigger warnings before any outrageous and/or potentially offensive chants.

Not only that but I believe karl marx is buried under the pitch and there's a fidel Castro bust in the foyer right next to the Stalin memorial plaque

Back
Top Bottom