Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

England - who makes your 26 man World Cup squad?

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Further to the thread on Kilman being one of the best left-sided centre backs in the league, what would your squad be?

I'd go with....

GK: Ramsdale, Pope, D. Henderson
CB: Kilman, Tomori, Guehi, Stones, White
FB: Trent, Chilwell, James, Trippier
CM: Bellingham, Rice, Phillips, Ward-Prowse, Gallagher
FW: Foden, Mount, Sterling, Saka, Grealish, Rashford
CF: Kane, Abraham, Toney

So no Coady, Maguire, Pickford, J. Henderson, Walker or Sancho for me - but I think Southgate will take all of these at the expense of 6 of my picks, Kilman included.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pleasantly surprised he's got rid of the temperamental t-rex Pickford.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Further to the thread on Kilman being one of the best left-sided centre backs in the league, what would your squad be?

I'd go with....

GK: Ramsdale, Pope, D. Henderson
CB: Kilman, Tomori, Guehi, Stones, White
FB: Trent, Chilwell, James, Trippier
CM: Bellingham, Rice, Phillips, Ward-Prowse, Gallagher
FW: Foden, Mount, Sterling, Saka, Grealish, Rashford
CF: Kane, Abraham, Toney

So no Coady, Maguire, Pickford, J. Henderson, Walker or Sancho for me - but I think Southgate will take all of these at the expense of 6 of my picks, Kilman included.
Don’t understand why you don’t have Walker. He’d be my first choice fullback.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t understand why you don’t have Walker. He’d be my first choice fullback.

Because he's just not a very good footballer unless he's got World-class players around him like when he's at City.

He was absolute dog**** playing for England at Molineux and he's had his time.

Reece James and Trent are miles ahead of him in my opinion and Trippier is versatile as he can play left-back too.

Plus someone needs to tell Southgate don't need to take 4 right backs.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because he's just not a very good footballer unless he's got World-class players around him like when he's at City.

Reece James and Trent are miles ahead of him in my opinion and Trippier is versatile as he can play left-back too.

I wouldn’t take Trent.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn’t take Trent.

I kind of understand why Southgate doesn't play him.

Without incredibly good centre backs in a back 4, it maybe makes us defensively weaker as a unit, which is why Reece James, Walker and Trippier are preferred, as they are better all-round players.

As we are not incredibly good in any area, the team-unit takes precedence?

But when he's playing well, Trent is amongst the World's best attacking fullbacks.

The flip side of that is Southgate's job to get the best out of the best players in England, not bomb out the better players because they don't fit in with his safety first approach.

It would be a travesty if he doesn't go to the World Cup.

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I respect Coady for what he has achieved here but no idea how a player who we don't think is capable of playing in a back four so have sent out on loan is still good enough for England.... He obviously has flaws in his defending!

Kilman's performances in a back three and four for one of the best defences the last couple of seasons means he has to be involved if we are picking on form.... How can't Southgate see his obvious quality?!

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I respect Coady for what he has achieved here but no idea how a player who we don't think is capable of playing in a back four so have sent out on loan is still good enough for England.... He obviously has flaws in his defending!

Kilman's performances in a back three and four for one of the best defences the last couple of seasons means he has to be involved if we are picking on form.... How can't Southgate see his obvious quality?!

Coady is in there as part of Southgate's leadership team. He's probably not going to play in the World Cup, other than a token appearance maybe.

The leadership team also includes Pickford, Maguire, Dier, J. Henderson, Mings and Kane.

Pickford and Henderson are injured, Mings has fallen off a cliff, so I guess Coady gets the nod.

Didn't think any non-capped players would be named, but I suppose Toney is in as he's a striker.

Kilman will play for England, just not at the World Cup unfortunately.

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Glorfied cheerleader at this point.

“Clearly, we have a number of players including Ben Chilwell, Luke Shaw, Harry Maguire and Kalvin Phillips who are not playing a lot of minutes with their club. It is not ideal, but we feel they have been, and can be, important players for us. It is not a perfect situation but there is still a lot of football to be played before Qatar."

This comment from Southgate is laughable.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I kind of understand why Southgate doesn't play him.

Without incredibly good centre backs in a back 4, it maybe makes us defensively weaker as a unit, which is why Reece James, Walker and Trippier are preferred, as they are better all-round players.

As we are not incredibly good in any area, the team-unit takes precedence?

But when he's playing well, Trent is amongst the World's best attacking fullbacks.

The flip side of that is Southgate's job to get the best out of the best players in England, not bomb out the better players because they don't fit in with his safety first approach.

It would be a travesty if he doesn't go to the World Cup.
Completely agree until the flip side bit!
I’d say it’s southgates job to put out the best team as a unit; not to try and fit together the players that are deemed the best; in fact I’d say the approach of just chucking together the best individuals is exactly what was done wrong in the past.

Anyhow, I’d have Walker ahead of Trent as I think he’s a much better defender.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kilman won’t. Just can’t see Southgate throwing in a CB with such little experience this close to the tournament.

Sadly that ship sailed for the near future with his dip in form/ injury at the back end of last season.

Reactions: Ian

DJLWolf

Reaction score

Our centre backs are so poor that I would be taking walker in order to have the option of playing 3 at the back and him as a Right sided centre back which he has done a number of times for us.I know James could do that, but I would want him at right back.

You can't let Trent anywhere near the pitch for me......that lad can't defend for toffee.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So bored of England under Southgate. This squad is the same old, same old. I’m not saying there should be 10 new faces every single squad but it really appears that if your face fits then you will not get dropped.

Maguire has been a laughing stock for over a year now, shouldn’t be anywhere near the squad yet will be in the starting 11 no doubt.

Also, are there any other nations who keep one spot open for a professional cheerleader? If he wants Coady there so much then just name him in the coaching team… he clearly doesn’t rate him as a player and doesn’t really care because he didn’t bring him on for England at Molineux last time out.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kilman won’t. Just can’t see Southgate throwing in a CB with such little experience this close to the tournament.

Sadly that ship sailed for the near future with his dip in form/ injury at the back end of last season.

I think the game Southgate came to watch him and he was terrible wouldn't have helped.

Southgate will probably see that as him crumbling under pressure.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The whole leadership team etc is such a rubbish reason to select someone...
Hmmmm not sure. I do think it adds a lot. Morale is a huge thing in football. Then again, as soon as Coady found out he wasn't first choice here, he was on the first van out, so perhaps he's not quite as happy to be the cheerleader.

On the whole though, I think it's a good role to have a decent player involved in. Not an entirely dead pick squad wise either.

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Stones was at RB the other day. He going to play there for England?

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Numpty England manager continues to favour players from clubs he played for surprise surprise.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I just can’t get excited about the World Cup. It’s making an absolute farce of the league season, and I do think England as a team have peaked under Southgate and we’re on the slide back down.

Norwegian Wolf

Reaction score

Nothing to do with a dip in form, he just doesn’t play for Palace or sit on the bench for one of Gareth’s favoured clubs.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry but that is poor by Southgate to pick Shaw and Maguire. Neither playing regularly for their club and neither in very good form. Only happens at clubs in the so called big six. These two played for us and werent starting they wouldnt get in the squad.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Sorry but that is poor by Southgate to pick Shaw and Maguire. Neither playing regularly for their club and neither in very good form. Only happens at clubs in the so called big six. These two played for us and werent starting they wouldnt get in the squad.
And neither have played well for getting on ten months. Shaw’s last good game was the Euro final.

I said earlier, really pleased that Southgate got us to a semi final and final, but we really need to move on. His selections seem to be the exact opposite of what he’s always said.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just can’t get excited about the World Cup. It’s making an absolute farce of the league season, and I do think England as a team have peaked under Southgate and we’re on the slide back down.
100% agree. I’m hoping something clicks in my head during the build up but I’m just far too annoyed with the disruption it’s causing to the season at the moment.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And neither have played well for getting on ten months. Shaw’s last good game was the Euro final.

I said earlier, really pleased that Southgate got us to a semi final and final, but we really need to move on. His selections seem to be the exact opposite of what he’s always said.
Totally agree.

Back
Top Bottom