Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

End of an era.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Wolves refresh is required. Fergie always said a good team have cycle 3/4 years before becomes stagnant which clearly is the case here
Sadly I agree. I just hope Neves is the bridge between eras.

I still feel if Fosun had gone stronger at the end of 18/19 we could of pushed on into top 6 contenders.
I rue that bloody penalty Miss but I rue that ******* semi final more.

We had greatness in our hands in 19/20 We played safe instead of going all in.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whatever happens Fosun / Nuno you made me believe and I’m eternally grateful. Watching Joao put Pogba in his pocket in the QF and seeing us beat City multiple times… then Europe. Dreamland.
No reason why we can’t do all that again KW.

Over to you FOSUN!

We are the sixth richest club in the Premier League. Time to put their hands in their pockets and show intent.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Huuuuuuge summer ahead. Going to be a very different Wolves team that lines up at the start of next season compared to next week at Liverpool. Still questions over the manager’s future too, which probably complicates things even more. Don’t forget too, with the internationals fixtures and then the early start to the season it’s going to be a short off season. Strap yourselves in everyone!

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A properly run club should never let it get to the situation whereby there needs to be a total and sudden overhaul of the squad - these replacements for players who had run their course with us should've been done gradually over the last couple of years. We have had the opportunity to improve from a position of strength in more than one window, failed and now we go into a Summer where it is absolutely **** or bust.

"Trust us"

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Whatever happens Fosun / Nuno you made me believe and I’m eternally grateful. Watching Joao put Pogba in his pocket in the QF and seeing us beat City multiple times… then Europe. Dreamland.
Yeah we will always have the memories, Covid ruined everything really (irrelevant in the grand scheme of things so don't want to make it seem like that was the big horror of covid) but it really hit Nuno hard and the team have never felt the same since lockdown. The spark and the charm had gone

Mighty Thor

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All I hope is that Jeff and fosun realise that Bruno is not the guy to lead us into that new era. Be bold. Be ruthless. Be brave. Bruno is apathy and ‘meh’ personified.

Jayjaywolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A properly run club should never let it get to the situation whereby there needs to be a total and sudden overhaul of the squad - these replacements for players who had run their course with us should've been done gradually over the last couple of years. We have had the opportunity to improve from a position of strength in more than one window, failed and now we go into a Summer where it is absolutely **** or bust.

"Trust us"
This has been coming for years.
Navigating the summer window with transfer staff that failed to land Kieffer Moore last year doesn't give me any confidence whatsoever.
We should be excited about the future of our club, instead it feels like we are being slowly pulled apart and taken for absolute mugs. Self sufficiency has come at an immense cost to the fans.

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The hope is that they've let it build up half deliberately and that we have a rebuild similar to summer 18'

We're in a much more stable position now with no underlying FFP concerns

Just depends if they're up for it or not. Most of the signs point to NO but let's see

Wolfman jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The sadness is that admirably, everything was thrown at The Project, to provide a solid base. We’ve then failed to consolidate the squad and made some bad recruitment decisions, meaning we‘ve ended this season with a very similar side to the promotion side. I think this will be regretted in the coming years. But what a ride it has been.

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sadly I agree. I just hope Neves is the bridge between eras.

I still feel if Fosun had gone stronger at the end of 18/19 we could of pushed on into top 6 contenders.
I rue that bloody penalty Miss but I rue that ******* semi final more.

We had greatness in our hands in 19/20 We played safe instead of going all in.

That semi for me was the beginning of the decline in our performances. We definitely started to transition to “defend + give it to Adama” after that.

I hoped in summer 2020 when everyone was reeling from lockdowns that we would gamble and spend but we didn’t

Welford Wolf

Reaction score
What player worth his salt with a big future would want to play for Bruno Lage.

He doesn’t know his strongest team, and has played five different teams in the last 5 games, often with some out of position.

No one knows what they or the people around them are doing.

With Liverpool to come that will be 2 points from 21

Unacceptable and clear relegation form.

Deak77

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hoped in summer 2020 when everyone was reeling from lockdowns that we would gamble and spend but we didn’t
We did gamble by selling Jota and Doherty, two players who were a big part of our identity, and we did spend, but not on players who equalled their attacking output, and who 20 months later still don't.

It's a shame Ruben Dias was too expensive when we looked at him, he really would have been a gamble worth taking, instead we gambled again, on Vallejo.

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We did gamble by selling Jota and Doherty, two players who were a big part of our identity, and we did spend, but not on players who equalled their attacking output, and who 20 months later still don't.

It's a shame Ruben Dias was too expensive when we looked at him, he really would have been a gamble worth taking, instead we gambled again, on Vallejo.
I do wonder at times what say Nuno had in Docs going. Seemed a weird one to me.

I wasn't shocked Jota went, but the best deal for player and club went out the window when Silva was signed.

I'd also love to know what say Nuno had in that deal too. Probably never find out but I do wonder.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

"Trust us"
Wait, are you trying to say that the ostrich approach didn’t work?!?!

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I wasn't shocked Jota went, but the best deal for player and club went out the window when Silva was signed.

I'd also love to know what say Nuno had in that deal too. Probably never find out but I do wonder.

Nuno didn’t play Doc when he got to spurs…

BrierleyHillWolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Nuno didn't play Jota near the end and if I remember signed Podence as Jotas replacement

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is the end of an era, and some players will not be seen in a Wolves shirt again. I will leave it to others to digest and discuss the rights and wrongs of the last few years, but for those players that do move on, they deserve our thanks for what they have done for our club. From championship mediocrity to a top half premier league team.

Thank you to all concerned, and I wish those moving on all the very best wherever they go. They have graced the gold and black shirt.

R

reanswolf

"Trust us"
Totally agree, from having total faith in the people who run the club, I have gone to having no faith in them at all.
What an appalling dereliction of duty.
Gonna be very difficult to repair the malaise.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

"Trust us"
Absolutely spot on. It’s frankly ridiculous that we are in this position. A huge huge risk that we have to hope we get away with. The margins are small in this league. Start next season like we finished this one and we’re in a relegation battle with half a new, unknown squad.

Coffer Wolf

Reaction score
The last few games have been crass. However, we will still finish ahead of Aston Vanilla in the league.

This part of the era needs to continue...........

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When the "we need to sell before we can buy" line came out..this situation was bound to happen.
Main thing,as always IMO,is to get the spine of the team right..and hopefully develop from there.
Sa-Coady-Neves-Joao-Raul.
I do think that we will have to get some transfers absolutely right this summer IF Ruben leaves.
The guys in charge will be Jeff and Scott.
It is what it is..isn´t it?

Interesting summer ahead.No room to hide anymore me thinks.

kentish wolf

Reaction score
We are in a tough league but over the last couple of months we have played like a relegated team.
It is up to the club to get rid of the people who don't care or are not interested .
As a fan for over 60 years I have seen all sorts of teams in the old gold but lack of effort and lack of pride is unacceptable.
Whatever has happened in the last couple of months or so needs sorting out quickly.
My message to Lage and all the players
You are very privileged people with lots talent.....
Start proving it!!!

Wenlock Wolf

Reaction score
I'm sure it's been said before, but I feel that Jeff & Co have a massive decision to make. Do they:

a/ Back their man Brugo Lage, in which case expect us to change to 4 at the back and wholesale changes in the squad.
b/ Sack Bruno and change manager for someone more akin to the players & style we've had over recent years, and make fewer squad changes.

So in other words, either the squad or the coaching team have to change. Jeff must step forward and back one, and not sit on the fence as we've seen.

For what it's worth, I still believe Bruno needs to be given the chance to do what he believes. It's probably a riskier strategy, but if Jeff doesn't take it, what was the point of appointing Bruno in the first place?

Beeches wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I avoided the mix yesterday, After the game i was on a right downer, not because of the result or poor performance but because it felt like the project/dream had died.
We stayed to watch and applaud the players, Yes its certainly the end of an era. The south bank particularly giving Ruben a emotional farewell singing his name. With the prospect of possibly loosing Joao as well,two great players who have been on this journey with us, the project seems to have come to an end.
Will always remember the great Nuno years and what that team gave us.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm sure it's been said before, but I feel that Jeff & Co have a massive decision to make. Do they:

a/ Back their man Brugo Lage, in which case expect us to change to 4 at the back and wholesale changes in the squad.
b/ Sack Bruno and change manager for someone more akin to the players & style we've had over recent years, and make fewer squad changes.

So in other words, either the squad or the coaching team have to change. Jeff must step forward and back one, and not sit on the fence as we've seen.

For what it's worth, I still believe Bruno needs to be given the chance to do what he believes. It's probably a riskier strategy, but if Jeff doesn't take it, what was the point of appointing Bruno in the first place?

Yes get a new manager in......He says let me assess the players we have in pre-season.And by that time the transfer window closes. What if shi and Sellars have players lined up and the new manager thinks they are rubbish.?

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Coady also wasn't himself yesterday, usually full of beans and a real positive character. Looked really unhappy and could barely raise a wave as he walked round, half hearted clap for the South Bank.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
question is quality or quantity. Whilst we should have a reasonable amount available within FFP and further funds could come from player sales. At the moment it feels like the team is less than the sum of its parts, so question is do we change a few key positions and spend big on them for some real quality and hope other players we have can get back to some kind of decent form with new players round them, or do we go for a big clear out and rebuild, worry there is that the amount available per player may be less and we may not get in the required quality to improve us

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When the "we need to sell before we can buy" line came out..this situation was bound to happen.
Main thing,as always IMO,is to get the spine of the team right..and hopefully develop from there.
Sa-Coady-Neves-Joao-Raul.
I do think that we will have to get some transfers absolutely right this summer IF Ruben leaves.
The guys in charge will be Jeff and Scott.
It is what it is..isn´t it?

Interesting summer ahead.No room to hide anymore me thinks.
Wouldn't be surprised if we only have one, maybe two, of that spine that you list still here next season.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If these players car get motivated knowing we could have bin challenging for a euro spot.Then they need replacing.Simple as.They have threw it away these last 2 months and it ay good enough.We can still appreciate them for what they've done in the past,without gewin over sentimental about them.

Wiltshire Wolfie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We have over achieved when you look back to last year when we lost Nuno, I am sure that most of us were very apprehensive as to how the coming season would pan out. Looking back now, a great goalkeeper and solid defence have kept us up where we are at present, no real threat up top and an uncreative and low goalscoring midfield. With the coming expected departures we are going to be reliant on getting in adequate or better players to move on positively. With Shi in charge of transfers and the hand of Mendes over most deals, I fear for us next season.

Reaction score
Coady also wasn't himself yesterday, usually full of beans and a real positive character. Looked really unhappy and could barely raise a wave as he walked round, half hearted clap for the South Bank.
Coady is a modern Wolves legend for what he's overseen in his time as captain, and what he embodies about the club, but I do wonder if they're considering taking a good offer for him and reshaping the defence. His main capability of long passes seems to have dwindled presumably from opposition closing it down rather than any lack of skill on Coady's part, but this leaves him less useful on field.

I'd be very sad to see him go and my main worry would be if he and Neves left, we'd need to be careful to not have a change in dressing room ethic, as it seems the pair are the leaders in the hard work, humble vibe you get from them

Back
Top Bottom