Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Emperors New Clothes

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I haven't a clue what this thread is about? Is it an age thing?
From Wiki:

Use as an idiom​

As an idiom, use of the story's title refers to something widely accepted as true or professed as being praiseworthy, due to an unwillingness of the general population to criticize it or be seen as going against popular opinion.[18] The phrase "emperor's new clothes" has become an idiom about logical fallacies.[19][20] The story may be explained by pluralistic ignorance.[21] The story is about a situation where "no one believes, but everyone believes that everyone else believes. Or alternatively, everyone is ignorant to whether the emperor has clothes on or not, but believes that everyone else is not ignorant."

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
From Wiki:

Use as an idiom​

As an idiom, use of the story's title refers to something widely accepted as true or professed as being praiseworthy, due to an unwillingness of the general population to criticize it or be seen as going against popular opinion.[18] The phrase "emperor's new clothes" has become an idiom about logical fallacies.[19][20] The story may be explained by pluralistic ignorance.[21] The story is about a situation where "no one believes, but everyone believes that everyone else believes. Or alternatively, everyone is ignorant to whether the emperor has clothes on or not, but believes that everyone else is not ignorant."
FFP is about sustainability and 'stopping another Bury'

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No not an age thing, just you have to be reasonably well read.
I am extremely well read and know the story, but don't get what relevance a naked king has to do with football? Anyway perhaps it's just me! Everyone else seems to get it.
By the way, it's also a great song by Elton John!

SingleMalt

Reaction score
I am extremely well read and know the story, but don't get what relevance a naked king has to do with football? Anyway perhaps it's just me! Everyone else seems to get it.
I imagine the idea is to name a player that you know is not as good as everyone keeps saying but we’re too embarrassed to name because everyone keeps saying how great they are and we don’t want to look stupid.

Having said that I’ll go with Neves. As much as I love the bloke he isn’t as good as some on here would have us believe.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I imagine the idea is to name a player that you know is not as good as everyone keeps saying but we’re too embarrassed to name because everyone keeps saying how great they are and we don’t want to look stupid.

Having said that I’ll go with Neves. As much as I love the bloke he isn’t as good as some on here would have us believe.
Thanks for the explanation. Perhaps I didn't get it because I don't have a problem coming on here and appearing stupid! I'm certainly never embarrassed to say anything! Interesting what you say about Neves, as great for us as he was not many suitors ever came in for him?

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation. Perhaps I didn't get it because I don't have a problem coming on here and appearing stupid! I'm certainly never embarrassed to say anything! Interesting what you say about Neves, as great for us as he was not many suitors ever came in for him?
Yes, I mean there's a world of difference in my mind between what's going on here.

Someone who everyone else thinks is brilliant, but I think is crap?

Someone who the media love, but everyone knows it rubbish really but doesn't dare say.

I don't think there are many in the second category, mostly just players lauded as the next big thing, who turned out to be nowhere near as good as we all thought. Not Neves though he's a God.

Last edited:

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you read it but don't get it, then you didn't understand the meaning. It's a fable, explained by @Spitfire in post 81.
There are meanings behind many sayings that are not directly literal.

SingleMalt

Reaction score
I hadn’t really understood myself until Spitfire came along with a helpful definition.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, I mean there's a world of difference in my mind between what's going on here.

Someone who everyone else thinks is brilliant, but I think is crap?

Someone who the media love, but everyone knows it rubbish really but doesn't dare say.

I don't think there are many in the second category, mostly just players lauded as the next big thing, who turned out to be nowhere near as good as we all thought. Not Neves though he's a God.

Ruben is fully dressed in his magicians cape in that clip.

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From Wiki:

Use as an idiom​

I've known the story, tale or fable of "The Emperors New Clothes" for over 50 years and the majority of the MM members it appears don't get the meaning of the story. IMO the meaning of the story is as simple as the proverb " pulling the wool over your eyes " or " leading you down the garden path " As most politicians do these days with false promises.

The only thing I can see that's been relevant to this tale and Wolves in the past few years is the Fabio Silva signing..
As with the Emperor where everyone was believing the tailor's had made his new garments or robes fit for a king. They hadn't and convinced the emperor and his associates that his garments were made an sewn with jewellery into his clothing. The fact was it was all a trick and an illusion.

Likewise Jeff Shi and WWFC were told and sold Fabio Silva was this 18 year old footballing "wonder kid " by his agent (tailor)...
Furthermore they were convinced and most of we were that Fabio was the real deal and like the Emperors New Clothes the number 9 shirt was made to measure and of real gold for him to wear with pride.
As the emperors tailor and FS's agent it appears they've sold Jeff Shi WWFC and us down the river!

Last edited:

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've known the story, tale or fable of "The Emperors New Clothes" for over 50 years and the majority of the MM members it appears don't get the meaning of the story. IMO the meaning of the story is as simple as the proverb " pulling the wool over your eyes " or " leading you down the garden path " As most politicians do these days with false promises.

The only thing I can see that's been relevant to this tale and Wolves in the past few years is the Fabio Silva signing..
As with the Emperor where everyone was believing the tailor's had made his new garments or robes fit for a king. They hadn't and convinced the emperor and his associates that his garments were made an sewn with jewellery into his clothing. The fact was it was all a trick and an illusion.

Likewise Jeff Shi and WWFC were told and sold Fabio Silva was this 18 year old footballing "wonder kid " by his agent (tailor)...
Furthermore they were convinced and most of we were that Fabio was the real deal and like the Emperors New Clothes the number 9 shirt was made to measure and of real gold for him to wear with pride.
As the emperors tailor and FS's agent it appears they've sold Jeff Shi WWFC and us down the river!
I like the clever link between the Emperor's new clothes and Silva's no 9 shirt? Very good!

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The new Alex Ferguson! In reality the only likeness is eating haggis and wearing a skirt at weddings

As McGhee played for Fergie at Aberdeen was he the first of many Emperor's New Clothes played for Taggart so must be the new Fergie so I give you.

Paul Scholes / Roy Keane / Phil Neville / Gary Neville / Mark Hughes / Alex McLeish / Willie Miller

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Burnley under Kompany

Villa under Gerrard

Wolves under Lage

Back
Top Bottom