Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

EFL Cup Ipswich V Wolves VERDICT

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't know if you saw the game last night but if you didn't their movement was better than ours throughout, they seemed fitter and they were noticeably better organised. After a decent first 20 minutes we couldn't string 2 passes together, players looked all at sea and there seemed to be no structure or plan to our game. Tbh it was a shambles.
Yes, the first twenty minutes were very good and then suddenly we started to regress. As you say, there were many poor passes between players, something that was also apparent at Kenilworth Road.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is the big issue for me - if we give him time and it still is not working we are that much further into the season and a new man has less games and less time to work with the players to get them playing. I think there will be a tipping point and if things don't improve I'd say the next 4 games will decide his fate. I'm not confident for any of the matches tbh, even B'mouth away, so sticking my neck out I think if we don't get a result v Toon he'll be dismissed the w/e of 28 October.
I think the bottom three, or two of them at least, are so bad that if we lost the next four we’ll still be out of the relegation zone.

It is a concern as to why the team drop off so markedly in terms of performance and fitness after 30 mins or so. Manure being the exception.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, the first twenty minutes were very good and then suddenly we started to regress. As you say, there were many poor passes between players, something that was also apparent at Kenilworth Road.
I find this particularly depressing about watching this Wolves team - to a man they seem incapable of making a pass to a colleague. They either misplace it, or it's too short or straight to the opposition; it's infuriating to watch.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the bottom three, or two of them at least, are so bad that if we lost the next four we’ll still be out of the relegation zone.

It is a concern as to why the team drop off so markedly in terms of performance and fitness after 30 mins or so. Manure being the exception.
I think even if we are say 4th from bottom but the Oct results aren't great imo it's then getting too late to persevere with GON. The next potential sacking point would likely be the November break, nearly another month further on and even less time for a new man to make his mark.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just making the point that it's still our second string. They are second in the Championship for a reason so the 'L1 outfit a few weeks ago' is a bit redundant to me. A lot of that is down to their head coach having a squad that is all well drilled into how they want to play after a full preseason.

I'm not a GON apologist by any means, I certainly have my doubts about his ability to manage this group (and watching him on the side he looks like a deer in headlights), but it's hardly his fault he was thrown into the cauldron a week before the season started.
We it is, as he took the job, not like it jumped up on him from behind the sofa.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's sitting in the dugout and tinkering there seems no plan it really is whiteboard football, impresses on a power point when you talk about stats but no passion or desire when it comes down to it

That's what jl had passion it's why he left he thought he deserved more

He would have got a red for some of the var decisions against us

I feel right now like Gon doesn't care , I feel right now he doesn't appreciate the football he's presenting to the fans or the fact we are on 4 ****ing points
The funny thing is, he would actually be found out by any competent football
Brain in a three hour meeting with a PowerPoint. So what the hell is Hobbs doing in these three hours???? Because it can’t be conducting a competant skill or competency based interview.

GO is a master of word salad and has a very shallow understanding of tactics beyond using the coaching manual buzzwords. I think he would impress anyone who doesn’t understand coaching or playing. He is out of the Scott sellers school of promotion as he is another who wowed Jeff with science and buzz words to get a job and keep that he wasn’t competent for and Jeff with his lack of knowledge would have thought he was the oracle. I believe GO interviews and talks behind the scenes in the same way, based on his shallow buzzword laden interviews that rarely actually answer the question asked to him at that time.

I am actually very worried about the “Interview process” if he came across as the best person and most impressive Candidate.

I know former players, academy coaches, video analysts and even a few physios/sport scientists at other clubs who would dismantle him And expose his lack of knowledge as he is actually even very green as a coach before he was a manager and this is a major reason he is such a bad manager as actually he isn’t even an experienced coach with a good track record behind him in that regard either.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The funny thing is, he would actually be found out by any competent football
Brain in a three hour meeting with a PowerPoint. So what the hell is Hobbs doing in these three hours???? Because it can’t be conducting a competant skill or competency based interview.

GO is a master of word salad and has a very shallow understanding of tactics beyond using the coaching manual buzzwords. I think he would impress anyone who doesn’t understand coaching or playing. He is out of the Scott sellers school of promotion as he is another who wowed Jeff with science and buzz words to get a job and keep that he wasn’t competent for and Jeff with his lack of knowledge would have thought he was the oracle. I believe GO interviews and talks behind the scenes in the same way, based on his shallow buzzword laden interviews that rarely actually answer the question asked to him at that time.

I am actually very worried about the “Interview process” if he came across as the best person and most impressive Candidate.

I know former players, academy coaches, video analysts and even a few physios/sport scientists at other clubs who would dismantle him And expose his lack of knowledge as he is actually even very green as a coach before he was a manager and this is a major reason he is such a bad manager as actually he isn’t even an experienced coach with a good track record behind him in that regard either.

Jeff just doesn’t care. He and Fosun won’t be around come next summer so all he wants is the job filled by someone with a pulse.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's sitting in the dugout and tinkering there seems no plan it really is whiteboard football, impresses on a power point when you talk about stats but no passion or desire when it comes down to it

That's what jl had passion it's why he left he thought he deserved more

He would have got a red for some of the var decisions against us

I feel right now like Gon doesn't care , I feel right now he doesn't appreciate the football he's presenting to the fans or the fact we are on 4 ****ing points

I actually detest him already. I can’t stand frauds who talk bull, and this guy is a fraud, and he’s certainly full of bull.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I find this particularly depressing about watching this Wolves team - to a man they seem incapable of making a pass to a colleague. They either misplace it, or it's too short or straight to the opposition; it's infuriating to watch.
This. It's why so much of our attacking play breaks down. We are down in among the Lutons and Sheff Utds as worst passing in this league. That knocking it harmlessly around the back 4 we do artificially boosts our pass rate.

The trick with our passing is that we have this knack of passing to a player tightly marked. Playing ourselves into trouble all the time! So frustrating how often we do it. Opponents hardly need to press, we'll get ourselves into trouble.

Probably linked to that is our movement off the ball. It's so lacklustre and predictable, a straight line jog a few yards forward, followed by a gentle trot back. Saw the contrast with Ipswich. A couple of times, they'd win possession and have 3 or 4 players sprinting forward, diagonal runs too, and not in each others way (another of our specialities) . In second half we did the same and just one player sprinted forward (Fabio, I think). The rest of our team jogged lazily 30 or 40 yards behind.

When players are that static and predictable, it must be easy to play against. It might well be how the manager wants us to play, because he has commented on how crazy it all was when he came to steady the ship. Players running all over the place. Clearly can't have that. It would confuse him, possibly.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think even if we are say 4th from bottom but the Oct results aren't great imo it's then getting too late to persevere with GON. The next potential sacking point would likely be the November break, nearly another month further on and even less time for a new man to make his mark.
They stuck with Lage until we were bottom. Their first remedy was Beale. I don’t have any confidence Shi and Hobbs will act in good time. Forward planning isn’t their strong point and neither is appointing managers, Nuno being the exception and they lucked out with Lopetegui.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They stuck with Lage until we were bottom. Their first remedy was Beale. I don’t have any confidence Shi and Hobbs will act in good time. Forward planning isn’t their strong point and neither is appointing managers, Nuno being the exception and they lucked out with Lopetegui.
I can't remember but weren't they confident JL would sign up, hopefully just a matter of waiting? This time it's different, I think the squad is weaker, will have suffered after GON's influence and unless they can pull a rabbit out of the hat there will be no one coming in as capable as JL. For all those reasons, and a million more, the deed needs to be done sooner rather than later imo.

loppers86

Reaction score
To be fair to GON, it was Hobbs who contacted Gary and offered him the job. And we don’t know what Hobbs told him about the state of the place after Lopetegui left. Gary’s verbals are of a man under pressure and perhaps not wanting to admit he’s been over promoted at this stage of his managerial career.
no, he’s just a ****er

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can't remember but weren't they confident JL would sign up, hopefully just a matter of waiting? This time it's different, I think the squad is weaker, will have suffered after GON's influence and unless they can pull a rabbit out of the hat there will be no one coming in as capable as JL. For all those reasons, and a million more, the deed needs to be done sooner rather than later imo.
I think JL was their ‘go to’ via Mendes, which prompted the headline in one football forum of Wolves calling Mendes for JL rather than ‘999 for English firefighter’. Beale was Hobbs firefighter when JL initially turned us down.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Despite Sa's slightly erratic decision making so far this season, we win that game comfortably with him in goal.

Having seen the first two goals, I'm surprised Bentley isn't being investigated for match-fixing.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We would have drawn Fulham at home. It makes Tuesday even more of a balls up !!!

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This. It's why so much of our attacking play breaks down. We are down in among the Lutons and Sheff Utds as worst passing in this league. That knocking it harmlessly around the back 4 we do artificially boosts our pass rate.

The trick with our passing is that we have this knack of passing to a player tightly marked. Playing ourselves into trouble all the time! So frustrating how often we do it. Opponents hardly need to press, we'll get ourselves into trouble.

Probably linked to that is our movement off the ball. It's so lacklustre and predictable, a straight line jog a few yards forward, followed by a gentle trot back. Saw the contrast with Ipswich. A couple of times, they'd win possession and have 3 or 4 players sprinting forward, diagonal runs too, and not in each others way (another of our specialities) . In second half we did the same and just one player sprinted forward (Fabio, I think). The rest of our team jogged lazily 30 or 40 yards behind.

When players are that static and predictable, it must be easy to play against. It might well be how the manager wants us to play, because he has commented on how crazy it all was when he came to steady the ship. Players running all over the place. Clearly can't have that. It would confuse him, possibly.
This is why it is abundantly clear United had zero to do with GO and was the follow up to the rehearsal game against Rennes.

Against man Ud we broke at speed, with numbers and if you watch the attacking runners they rarely ran the same line each attack, they were encouraged to hit the space that was there not a pre-ordained line which if you do twice, should then be easily marshalled by the defence and allow them to get back into defensive shape quickly and easily to then contain the runners and the option extra runners creating the second wave of options.

JL did an “organised chaos” run pattern, it forces defenders to make decisions that have to be made fresh each time that creates holes for the second wave runners to exploit meaning there are free/easier passes.

This would force GO to have kittens….. as he is all about the buzzword and current FA favourite thing “structure and organised” movement. Listen to each interview since, he moans and groans about “freedom” “too loose” and other words to that effect.

He couldn’t continue the game plan by JL because it hasn’t been taught to him in the class room how to do it.

So those saying it isn’t GO’s fault passes aren’t being made….. sorry to shatter your illusions, it is!!! He is setting the players up
And the movement to be predictable and easily marked/passing lanes closed or pressured because everything he is coaching is basic level straight from the courses he attended!!!

It is why analysts at the clubs I know see him as the easiest manager to prepare for in The prem, as all they need to do is watch minimal film but simply open the most recent FA handbook and watch a few of the videos they use on the courses.

We are being taken down a basic level path that can be fixed easily and quickly with an attack/open minded coach who thinks beyond the pages of the recent course they attended.

Madmalc

Reaction score

Too many shop window players.

I expect the players to play better against Man City, than they did against either Luton or Ipswich.

The Man City game is a televised 'Shop Window' game, Ipswich wasn't even televised.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I expect the players to play better against Man City, than they did against either Luton or Ipswich.

The Man City game is a televised 'Shop Window' game, Ipswich wasn't even televised.
Fair points. Be interesting to see what happens.

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Er, no. That Ipswich side would sink without trace in the PL, throwing a two goal lead away against their reserves is nothing short of scandalous
I don't they would sink without trace at all ..they played good football

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It was.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just watched the highlights from last night. What struck me was Ipswich’s third goal was created by a series of forward short passes to feet, with players moving in to space to receive the ball. We really should be able to play “ give and go” football a lot more than we do.
Exactly, lots of comments about the strike but blimey, they tore us apart from back to front without us laying a boot on them.

Back
Top Bottom