Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Down to just two games......

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When all is said and done, it was only the failure to hold onto winning positions in two home games, one from the 97th minute, one from the 73rd minute, that has undone our season. Hold onto those positions and its a semi-final vs ManUtd and eigth place, 4 points off sixth, going into the last 7 games.

The margins between success and failure are painfully small.

Excuse my cynicism, but Jeff Shi's stepping forward seems more than a little opportunistic to me. A populist diversion from the absurd, self-made damage to the club that this January's inaction caused.

We were so close!!

Even with the fiasco of January, Oneil and the players almost conjured up two vital wins, with the smallest squad, and the youngest bench imaginable.

Apparently Steve Cooper is being lined up as possible replacement for Oneil, and ostentatiously attended the match on Saturday.

I know Fosun are in a desperate spot, but surely they understand that the club is in desperate need of a boost now, and a full and public backing
of Oneil, if a more rapid period of decline is not to hit us very soon.

A period of decline that will be their legacy if they fail to act.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Steve Cooper being lined up to replace Gary O‘Neil? Why?
Why indeed? Hobbs made a big point of saying that the board have prepared for Oneil leaving, if it comes to that. I presume Cooper being there on Saturday was a clumsy message to send.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Steve Cooper being lined up to replace Gary O‘Neil? Why?
I was listening to Sean Dyche a while ago (fairly confident it was him anyway!) and he said how hard it was to go to games when he was out of work, because as soon as someone spotted him there would be rumours about how he was being lined up to be manager.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When all is said and done, it was only the failure to hold onto winning positions in two home games, one from the 97th minute, one from the 73rd minute, that has undone our season. Hold onto those positions and its a semi-final vs ManUtd and eigth place, 4 points off sixth, going into the last 7 games.

The margins between success and failure are painfully small.

Excuse my cynicism, but Jeff Shi's stepping forward seems more than a little opportunistic to me. A populist diversion from the absurd, self-made damage to the club that this January's inaction caused.

We were so close!!

Even with the fiasco of January, Oneil and the players almost conjured up two vital wins, with the smallest squad, and the youngest bench imaginable.

Apparently Steve Cooper is being lined up as possible replacement for Oneil, and ostentatiously attended the match on Saturday.

I know Fosun are in a desperate spot, but surely they understand that the club is in desperate need of a boost now, and a full and public backing
of Oneil, if a more rapid period of decline is not to hit us very soon.

A period of decline that will be their legacy if they fail to act.
I do think Jeff Shi gave GON his full backing after the match on Saturday with his comments about VAR. He praised Gary and his staff for the great job they have done. Seemed strange that he also seemed to sympathise about our small squad and all the injuries, when he is ultimately responsible.

Don’t know where you’ve got the Steve Cooper rumour from, but I suppose it’s that time of the season. We will know very soon after the season ends what our plans are for the future. If, and it’s a big if, GON leaves after what he has said about staying, it will show Fosun in a bad way imo.

As for Steve Cooper being lined up, I will ignore any rumours for now.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't like the sound of that. What it suggests is that the club are preparing for GON to leave because they have already decided there's going to be next to no investment in the playing staff this summer. So it would be over to Steve Cooper (another 'cheap and cheerful') whom I personally can't stand. Also he's not a patch on GON as a coach

Mancwolf56

Groupie
Reaction score
I don't like the sound of that. What it suggests is that the club are preparing for GON to leave because they have already decided there's going to be next to no investment in the playing staff this summer. So it would be over to Steve Cooper (another 'cheap and cheerful') whom I personally can't stand. Also he's not a patch on GON as a coach
Personally I would take the comments about Cooper with a pinch of salt and not worry about it.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

BillyBoots

Groupie
Reaction score
If he was at the game it's because we play them next week if he did become our manager then that really would be the end for me.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The club have worked hard to ensure we are not in the same position as Forest and Everton. In hindsight, maybe we could have afforded to throw caution to the wind, brought in a load of players, achieved what you said we’ve missed out on and the points deduction take us down to 9th - miles ahead of relegation places. I just think if we’d gone into this season knowing we’d broken the rules, we don’t know how that would have affected the club.

Thinking about January, the lack of reinforcements has undoubtedly impacted our season. This is in part because of the sheer bad luck of injuries to all of our forward line at the same time. Ordinarily you’d cope with one or two out, but all 4 at the same time is pretty unfortunate and not something the club would plan for imo. Besides which, I remember many posts suggesting we were in a reasonable position if nobody came in. The main aim was to remain in the league this year, so although there has been opportunity to do even better, the team have smashed the target for this season and the rest has been a bonus.

It’s easy to get heat up and frustrated over what we perceive as lack of ambition/support, but I’m holding hope that this season has paved the way for a strong preseason and summer window, leading to a sustained push towards Europe next season.

Only thing I’m wondering is where the jitteriness of GON leaving is coming from. He’s said over and over he’s happy at WWFC and is enjoying the work he and the team are doing. So if there is any truth in Steve Cooper being lined up to replace him, then something must have happened to break that harmony. I wonder if people are putting two and two together and coming up with their own answers. Have to admit though, I thought that at the start of the JL fiasco.

TelfordWolf

Reaction score
He wasn’t at the game Saturday. The OP is either misguided or on a wind up. There’s literally nowhere on the web suggesting he was and he 100% would have been spotted.
Forest forums actually mentioned he was there but thought it was more he was probably scouting for Southgate.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The club have worked hard to ensure we are not in the same position as Forest and Everton. In hindsight, maybe we could have afforded to throw caution to the wind, brought in a load of players, achieved what you said we’ve missed out on and the points deduction take us down to 9th - miles ahead of relegation places. I just think if we’d gone into this season knowing we’d broken the rules, we don’t know how that would have affected the club.

Thinking about January, the lack of reinforcements has undoubtedly impacted our season. This is in part because of the sheer bad luck of injuries to all of our forward line at the same time. Ordinarily you’d cope with one or two out, but all 4 at the same time is pretty unfortunate and not something the club would plan for imo. Besides which, I remember many posts suggesting we were in a reasonable position if nobody came in. The main aim was to remain in the league this year, so although there has been opportunity to do even better, the team have smashed the target for this season and the rest has been a bonus.

It’s easy to get heat up and frustrated over what we perceive as lack of ambition/support, but I’m holding hope that this season has paved the way for a strong preseason and summer window, leading to a sustained push towards Europe next season.

Only thing I’m wondering is where the jitteriness of GON leaving is coming from. He’s said over and over he’s happy at WWFC and is enjoying the work he and the team are doing. So if there is any truth in Steve Cooper being lined up to replace him, then something must have happened to break that harmony. I wonder if people are putting two and two together and coming up with their own answers. Have to admit though, I thought that at the start of the JL fiasco.
"Sheer bad luck"???

Dont think anybody thinks overloading attacking players and then suffering injuries has anything to do with chance.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Cooper was in the director's box I'm sure there would be lots of photos on social media.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
This. If we didn't it would be used against them too.
While we're at maybe not whether Steve Cooper would make it as a male model shouldn't be dragged in every time he's mentioned.

This is proper 2+2=47 stuff. My guess is that he was there at his own request to either scout or just keep abreast of the league.

WolvesAndCows

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I was listening to Sean Dyche a while ago (fairly confident it was him anyway!) and he said how hard it was to go to games when he was out of work, because as soon as someone spotted him there would be rumours about how he was being lined up to be manager.
Big Sam was at Old Trafford, yesterday. An Excellent fit for Man Utd, or maybe even Liverpool :eek:

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is hardly unusual for out of work managers to pop up at PL games (Lop has been seen at Palace games this season). Though the Guardian are saying he might have been looking at us (or West Ham) with an eye on any vacancies that might appear.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"Sheer bad luck"???

Dont think anybody thinks overloading attacking players and then suffering injuries has anything to do with chance.
Yep, I do think there has been bad luck. I agree with the argument about overloading of players, but for them all to have long term injuries at the same time is very unfortunate, whether you believe it preventable or not.

With overloading players, I would expect tiredness, lethargic performances and niggles, but to have significant injuries in the same area of the pitch is pretty unlucky imo. That’s just the way I see it and I dare say others will call it differently (possibly bordering on negligence). Sending Silva and Sasa out on loan and suggests the club didn’t expect those significant injuries to all happen at the same time.

Regardless, it’s been a great season that’s had a mix of everything: goals, attacking flair, growth, VAR, bad luck, unexpected results, exciting performances. I feel the frustration like everyone else, but as I said, I’m hoping that it’s paving a strong path for next season. Time will tell.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This. If we didn't it would be used against them too.
It was much more demonstrative than you imply.

I presume Jeff Shi's pronouncement was a way of publicly saying that the club will finally back Oneil,
but it may just be the start of another round of manoeuvre and media controal, as happened with
Lopetegui, where the aim is to ensure that enough fans blame the manager rather than the board.

May the games begin....

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep, I do think there has been bad luck. I agree with the argument about overloading of players, but for them all to have long term injuries at the same time is very unfortunate, whether you believe it preventable or not.

With overloading players, I would expect tiredness, lethargic performances and niggles, but to have significant injuries in the same area of the pitch is pretty unlucky imo. That’s just the way I see it and I dare say others will call it differently (possibly bordering on negligence). Sending Silva and Sasa out on loan and suggests the club didn’t expect those significant injuries to all happen at the same time.

Regardless, it’s been a great season that’s had a mix of everything: goals, attacking flair, growth, VAR, bad luck, unexpected results, exciting performances. I feel the frustration like everyone else, but as I said, I’m hoping that it’s paving a strong path for next season. Time will tell.
I think it is more to do with the demands imposed by Oneil's favoured style, which calls for more sprints from the attackers. So not a surprise........If Oneil's style is to be used, adn I hope it is as it is up there with the best teams, then rotation becomes essential.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score

I presume Jeff Shi's pronouncement was a way of publicly saying that the club will finally back Oneil,
but it may just be the start of another round of manoeuvre and media controal, as happened with
Lopetegui, where the aim is to ensure that enough fans blame the manager rather than the board.

May the games begin....
Yeah, but you also said GON was 'gushing' towards West Ham when managers are generally complimentary towards their opponents.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it is more to do with the demands imposed by Oneil's favoured style, which calls for more sprints from the attackers. So not a surprise........If Oneil's style is to be used, adn I hope it is as it is up there with the best teams, then rotation becomes essential.
Perhaps so, but it’s worth also remembering that Neto and Hwang had already had time out injured, so is it reasonable to assume their recovery allowed enough rest? Like I say, Cunha and Bellegarde (who hadn’t played that much football) going down at the same time as Hwang and Neto is unfortunate imo.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Here's what Jeff said - no wonder he doesn't say much, given the way people read exactly what they want into anything.

“Gary, our coaching team and all the players have done a fantastic job this season that we are all rightly very proud of, especially under the circumstances, with many controversial decisions from match officials affecting the outcome of our games.

“Despite a summer of change and four days of preparation for Gary and his staff, we surpassed last season’s points with eight games to go. If it wasn’t for a number of incorrect or contentious decisions we would be even further up the table.

“For the other challenges, such as injuries to key attacking players and squad depth, the club can always keep learning and progressing every season, but for the standard and consistency of refereeing, it’s something out of our control.

“When a goal is scored and not one person inside the stadium questions the validity of that goal, including both sets of players, coaches, fans and even the match officials themselves, it’s time to question whether someone remote disallowing that goal is really what football wants or needs.

“It is our sincere hope that the Premier League and PGMOL recognise the importance of addressing these concerns to uphold the integrity of the competition and demonstrate why the Premier League is regarded as the best in the world.

“The club will continue to support our players and coaches to keep pushing hard, together with our fans, to take on every remaining game with the passion and determination that has made this team a success, and one that we’re proud to support.”

Jeff isn't trying to "send a message" by having Cooper go there, that's ridiculous.

His statement very much backs GON, and I've bolded the bit where he says "the club" (i.e. not GON) can learn from the squad depth.

Last edited:

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score

May the games begin....
I certainly think that Shi is much more savvy about media manipulation than most give him credit for (whether that's a positive or not you can choose). The number of posters on here who blame Lopetegui is evidence of that, the careful way he told us that Lopetegui was preparing the team for the new season when he'd already agreed to him leaving, very judicious in his use of words. I think the PSR excuses/reasons for lack of spending are going to vanish by the Summer and O'Neil will be in the same position of trying to use his success this season as leverage for more money. Possibly trying to use the idea of leaving to persuade Shi to open the coffers. I very much doubt at this stage that Shi is flirting with potential replacements to make O'Neil feel he's replaceable, but Hobbs should always have a succession plan in place of courses that's literally his job.

Back
Top Bottom