Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Doomsday scenario

Wenlock Wolf

Reaction score
OK, so we know everything is going pretty much perfectly right now. Top half of the table and climbing, one (undeserved) defeat and the talk of the press rooms for all the right reasons.

The 'special one' at Man Utd looks to be on his way out. It won't be too long before either Mourinho or another coach from a top club will be gone. Nuno will be on other clubs radars for sure, and inevitably he will be tapped up and courted. You'd like to think that Nuno is sufficiently well committed to the Fosun 'project' not to be tempted, but what if he's not? Can we really expect him not to take a job at Man Utd, Chelsea or Real Madrid?

If (or when) he leaves Wolves, what impact to you think it would have?

There seems to be a kind of DNA running through the club, you'd hope that his successor could carry that on, but is that realistic? How often is that the case? Any notable coach would want his own style wouldn't he? Consequently how would our star players react?

What are your thoughts as to Nuno's commitment & the threat of him being poached?

S

ShropshireLad

I'm not thinking about it. He wouldn't be a good fit for any of our top 6 clubs because his strength was in starting more or less from scratch with us. If he did leave us I suspect that it would be Italy, possibly a top club in Spain and possibly PSG or Monaco. A Portuguese club probably couldn't or wouldn't want to pay the level of wages he'd command.

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
If Nuno carries on with us like he is doing- then it is equally excellent and worrying going forward. I would hope that the owners will do everything in their power to keep him here financially- but none of us know what Nuno's long term goals are- or whom his dream club is. Man Utd? Liver****? Real Madrid? Us?

We will find out eventually- possibly sooner than later at this rate.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Man U is a basket case of a club ATM, and has been on the whole since Fergie. Nuno could do far better, and, if he is up for it, he may well be able to.....with us...in a couple of years...

E

E is for idiot.

I think that of all the big clubs that could come knocking Man Utd is the one that would give us the best chance of keeping Nuno.

freezin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm a realist but I honestly believe that Nuno appreciates the opportunity he's been given.

How many times can you recall manager having been given carte blanche and properly being backed?

He's building a dynasty, a legacy and I don't think he would be tempted away.

I honestly, honestly believe that and I'm a firm believer that there's no room for sentimentality in football.

I think the FOSUN / Nuno relationship is symbiotic. I think there's enough respect/ credit in the bank from both parties to think that both know that this is a special (perhaps unique) situation.

He's going nowhere.

Wenlock Wolf

Reaction score
For me the Wolves project was almost a unique opportunity. Nuno saw it and bought in, not so many managers who've been at Champions League level would have taken it. He's loved the ride and all signs are that it going to continue. That is a really powerful attraction, and I'd say one which would be the envy of many other managers if he managed to deliver success as per the project.
I guess the big tests are coming up soon .....

C

Calufur

OK, so we know everything is going pretty much perfectly right now. Top half of the table and climbing, one (undeserved) defeat and the talk of the press rooms for all the right reasons.

The 'special one' at Man Utd looks to be on his way out. It won't be too long before either Mourinho or another coach from a top club will be gone. Nuno will be on other clubs radars for sure, and inevitably he will be tapped up and courted. You'd like to think that Nuno is sufficiently well committed to the Fosun 'project' not to be tempted, but what if he's not? Can we really expect him not to take a job at Man Utd, Chelsea or Real Madrid?

There seems to be a kind of DNA running through the club, you'd hope that his successor could carry that on, but is that realistic? How often is that the case? Any notable coach would want his own style wouldn't he? Consequently how would our star players react?

What are your thoughts as to Nuno's commitment & the threat of him being poached?
Nuno won't leave us unless for a role at one of the very top elite clubs in world football, and the very elite clubs won't be looking at Nuno until he has more success.

If Rumours are to be believed Nuno turned down interest from Arsenal in the summer.

EastDorsetWolf

Reaction score

Why don't we enjoy the present and worry about that if & when it happens!

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It will happen at some point, either Nuno outgrows us or vice-versa.

I'm confident Fosun have this identified as a massive risk and might even already have names of potential successors lined up.

Look at Man City, they've had 3 managers in the last 10 years (not including Hughes) and they've all been successful. If the clubs goal is to be as successful as they plan, they'll get it right.

They could even take a different approach altogether by maybe even promoting from within? Could Ian Cathro joining this summer be part of our long-term succession planning?

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Then we get somebody better. Folk still don't acknowledge how bloody loaded we are.

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Unless I miss my guess, Mourinho is suffering from chronic boredom. He's bright enough to know Man U aren't going to be good enough to challenge for the Prem first spot for at least a couple of years - he needs half the team replacing at least - in which case the chance of Nuno grabbing hold of such a poisoned chalice is zero!

S

Snarlingwolf

Nuno (& Fosun) is committed to taking this club to the very top in European, if not world, football..........he won’t need to consider moving to a more favourable club because there will not be a more favourable one than this - we are going to be the best! And Nuno will be our Pack Leader forever, until the real Doomsday!:cool:
Close thread.:)

dennison11

Reaction score
As others have said, why would he leave? It's his philosophy that's got us to where we are today. He has the full backing of the board who have shown they'll give him everything he needs to make his team successful

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He is going nowhere for a number of simple reasons:
(1) He hasn't won or proved anything yet, which is why Man U won't even be looking at him.
(2) For the same reason as (1), he won't be on any very big European club's radar either, such as Real, Barca, Juventus.
(3) Why would he move sideways to a smaller European club, who probably couldn't pay him more than he is already earning?
(4) He has a massive say in what players come into the club because of his close links to Mendes, far more than he would have in many clubs 'bigger' than Wolves, in the UK or Europe. At Molineux he is the captain of the ship in which he sails.
(5) FOSUN have huge ambitions and very deep pockets. And, provided he delivers, they will not be boat-rockers or interferers. He is in an almost uniquely powerful position to fashion his own future and destiny.

That's why he ain't leaving any time soon... certainly not before he's won some silverware (and probably more than a bit of it) here.

Tojo the grass

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does not bear thinking about.

I am not sure he would want to abandon ‘his’ project at this stage to start again at a club with big problems even if it is a prestige club.

Kingswood Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Some of youse are a tad delusional. If Man Utd came asking, not only would we allow them to talk but Nuno would be off in days. It's Man Utd FFS! Biggest club in the world!

But I have full faith that we would (and probably do) have names lined up to smoothly take up the reins upon Nuno's departure with a continuity of style & philosophy a la Watford .

Derby Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think rationally.

If you're a Man Utd fan how do you feel about your club appointing somebody with only a Championship title and 2nd in the Primiera Liga.

Is that the club you know?

Or I'll rephrase, how would you feel if instead of Nuno we appointed Chris Wilder?

Nuno is doing great work but he's miles away from top jobs as it stands.

Both Dyche and Howe are more established and neither has had teams beating down the doors at Bournemouth and Burnley.

K

KiwiWolf

Sick and tired of these "doomsday" threads TBH...... totally ****ing sick. Enjoy the ride for ****s sake. If it happens there's nothing we can do about it so:

" God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, And wisdom to know the difference."

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well if it happens, we appoint Stuart Baxter. Or see if the Kenny Hibbitt and Steve Bull dream team can step up. No probs.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why torture yourself ?

Enjoy !!:):):):):):):)

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some of youse are a tad delusional. If Man Utd came asking, not only would we allow them to talk but Nuno would be off in days. It's Man Utd FFS! Biggest club in the world!

But I have full faith that we would (and probably do) have names lined up to smoothly take up the reins upon Nuno's departure with a continuity of style & philosophy a la Watford .

Yeah but wim Wolves ay we.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I imagine there are at least 50 managers Man U. would consider before Nuno, he's good but he ain't a manager a club that big would look at.
Man U. maybe behind us in the league but we as a club are miles behind them, it may change but not yet.

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What happens if Nuno is crossing a busy road and forgets he is in the UK and looks the wrong way it could be game of over. Shall I start a thread...?

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good grief.......amazing that Nuno going to United has any traction.......again and again and again.
He has a better chance of doing an Elvis impersonation show in Vegas or becoming a hermit in Mongolia or staring as Mother Teresa in a new movie....even with the beard.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
Just can't see Nuno & team leaving us in a hurry and going to a big club with superstars in transition.....that's the likely situation he would be asked to try and recover/fix the club from. :)

Nuno and his 'idea' is about creating and establishing a foundation to build on and on off, this isn't something you can just do overnight at the super clubs.....would they care for a weak adjustment period that may or may not deliver??

The situation with succession would certainly be a difficult one if and when he goes. The only thing we can take from that is that he would have revolutionised the club and that anyone of similar type coming in wouldn't be working on the 'hoof' - i.e. it would be a smooth handover and not a Solbakken situation. :)...

the 15th Wanderer

Reaction score
This thread is like a horrible hybrid of corporal Jones and private Frazer. We`re all doomed, do`nt panic. Nuno has stated he is comitted to the "project" he is going nowhere soon. Hopefully he will get a few good bonusses and new contracts comensurate with his sucess. Don`t Panic:).

Woody

Groupie
Reaction score
We were not established enough to be a stepping stone to greater things so Nuno, like the players that followed him, came to the club because they had a firm belief in the project that was laid out before them.
At the end of last season Nuno was asked what improvements needed to be made to the facilities at both Molineux and Compton, which led to many millions being spent all down to his instructions - what Nuno wanted Nuno got. Further improvements are already scheduled for the end of this season.
I was fortunate enough to spend quite a lot of time at Compton during the summer and I saw with my own eyes what is developing at Wolves. The spirit and togetherness of the current setup from top to bottom is a joy to behold and I am absolutely certain that Nuno will be going nowhere.

Back
Top Bottom